Type keyword(s) to search

Speed Skating

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Daisy said:

Let's see if Netherlands continue to do netherlands things. 
Let's go Sven. 

We weren't expected to win this one, let alone get this close to Van der Poel. Roest did a great job but just wasn't fast enough to defeat the dominant skater of the last two seasons. Sven is retiring after this and is mainly here for the team pursuit.

Irene Schouten is phenomenal, there was so much pressure on her and she delivered.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Ireen Wust is an Olympic legend now! First athlete at either summer or winter Games to win five consecutive individual gold medals! Won the 3k in Turin and Sochi, the 1500m at Vancouver, Pyeongchang, and now Beijing. 

She is amazing! I always feel that all is well in the universe when a skater from The Netherlands wins in speed skating.

• Love 4

My speed skating boyfriend Kjeld Nuis successfully defended his 1500m title, with a silver for his teammate Thomas Krol. Those two are so good when it matters and have been pushing each other to faster times. Krol will have another chance at gold at the 1000m, where Nuis didn't qualify for at the Dutch trials. 

• Love 2

So monumental for Erin Jackson for so many reasons. First Black woman to win speed skating gold and ends a long U.S. drought. I just read she started speed skating only 5 years ago! That is amazing!

• Love 14
54 minutes ago, Souris said:

So monumental for Erin Jackson for so many reasons. First Black woman to win speed skating gold and ends a long U.S. drought. I just read she started speed skating only 5 years ago! That is amazing!

This! She’s truly a talent. She started with in-line skating then moved to the ice 5 years ago. She’s very lucky to be at the games as well being that she made an error at trials and likely would not have made the team, but her close friend Brittany Bowe gave her spot to Erin. Note Brittany will be competing in the 1000 and 1500 meter races which is likely another reason, besides their friendship, that she gave up her 500m spot to Erin.

Anyway, I don’t think we’ve seen a top AA speed skater since Shani Davis, but that too was probably about 15 years ago. Congratulations to Erin on her win!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Enero said:

This! She’s truly a talent. She started with in-line skating then moved to the ice 5 years ago. She’s very lucky to be at the games as well being that she made an error at trials and likely would not have made the team, but her close friend Brittany Bowe gave her spot to Erin. Note Brittany will be competing in the 1000 and 1500 meter races which is likely another reason, besides their friendship, that she gave up her 500m spot to Erin.

Bowe also ended up getting a spot in the 500m anyway after a reallocation. She finished outside the top 10. Still a classy move. 

Jackson is really awesome. The way she's handled her path to the Olympics showed so much grace and character. All of her hard work lead to a win!

• Love 7

I'm fascinated by the shift in strategy for the team pursuit that the U.S. started. For decades everyone was doing it the same way. And then all of a sudden the U.S. is like, "Hey, wait a minute. This makes no sense. We're doing it this other way that nobody has ever done." And then they win championships and set a world record and the rest of the world is like, "Wow, why didn't we ever think of this?" And now everyone does it that way. I'd love to know what everyone was thinking the first time the U.S. trotted that out. Were they super confused while they were skating? Did they keep expecting them to change positions? Did they think they were completely nuts? I would watch a full documentary on this.

7 hours ago, redpencil said:

I'm fascinated by the shift in strategy for the team pursuit that the U.S. started. For decades everyone was doing it the same way. And then all of a sudden the U.S. is like, "Hey, wait a minute. This makes no sense. We're doing it this other way that nobody has ever done." And then they win championships and set a world record and the rest of the world is like, "Wow, why didn't we ever think of this?" And now everyone does it that way. I'd love to know what everyone was thinking the first time the U.S. trotted that out. Were they super confused while they were skating? Did they keep expecting them to change positions? Did they think they were completely nuts? I would watch a full documentary on this.

It's similar to the reaction when the Dutch starting using clap skates.

• Love 2