Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Ok, I am watching the Italy/Swiss mixed doubles on Peacock. The female announcer is just amazing. She effortlessly explains the game in clear English while making the game exciting. I wish they would say who she is. 

• Love 3
On 2/3/2022 at 9:38 PM, KAOS Agent said:

Per the NBC website, she's three-time national champion Jaime Sinclair.

Thanks! She’s exceptionally easy to follow. Plus she enunciates perfectly and my husband who is hearing impaired can hear every word. The coverage has been terrific.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I’m enjoying the mixed doubles, especially the surprise Italians.

Me too. There have been some really exciting close games. I'm mostly waiting for Team Loco Solare (aka Japan) in the regular curling, but this has been great in the meantime.

With Australia having their first ever competitors (apart from that one time when it was a demonstration sport) in this sport and the fact the MIxed Doubles started before official competition, Australian TV has shown a lot of curling so far. And while our team hasn't exactly lit the ice on fire, it seems their presence at the Games has at least increased the profile of the sport in Australia.

As someone who basically just knows it as lawn bowls on ice but using really big 'balls' of granite is there a reason why the female of the team plays the 1st and 5th stone. I've looked up game play (basically on Wikipedia) and it doesn't say its a rule that the genders have to play their stones in a certain order. Just that Player One does 1st and 5th and Player Two does 2nd -4th. So I guess the question is what is the game play behind the female being Player One and the male being Player Two? I have yet to watch a game where this isn't the case.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:

With Australia having their first ever competitors (apart from that one time when it was a demonstration sport) in this sport and the fact the MIxed Doubles started before official competition, Australian TV has shown a lot of curling so far. And while our team hasn't exactly lit the ice on fire, it seems their presence at the Games has at least increased the profile of the sport in Australia.

As someone who basically just knows it as lawn bowls on ice but using really big 'balls' of granite is there a reason why the female of the team plays the 1st and 5th stone. I've looked up game play (basically on Wikipedia) and it doesn't say its a rule that the genders have to play their stones in a certain order. Just that Player One does 1st and 5th and Player Two does 2nd -4th. So I guess the question is what is the game play behind the female being Player One and the male being Player Two? I have yet to watch a game where this isn't the case.

That's a good question, and I found this forum on reddit that gives variations on the same answer:

If you don't want to click on the link, here's one sample answer:

"Traditional" logic is that women have better finesse (draws) and men have more power (takeouts). Obviously this can easily be different based on the actual players involved.

So you would have the woman throw the first draw (no takeouts allowed until the fourth thrown rock). Then the man can clear out any trouble once you're allowed to hit, and leave an opening for the woman to throw a final draw.

Edited by tracyscott76
4 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

If you don't want to click on the link, here's one sample answer:

"Traditional" logic is that women have better finesse (draws) and men have more power (takeouts). Obviously this can easily be different based on the actual players involved.

So you would have the woman throw the first draw (no takeouts allowed until the fourth thrown rock). Then the man can clear out any trouble once you're allowed to hit, and leave an opening for the woman to throw a final draw.

Thank you for finding an answer. So basically because the man is more likely to have the greater strength in the pair, he needs to be available for the 4th throw in case you need to wipeout some stones. Makes sense and I feel a bit stupid for not really noticing that occurring in the games I watched. Looking back on the games, it did happen.

What a clutch shot by Homan. way to go Canada. 5-2 record. 
but that Czech team was great. the lady was 100 percent the entire match. her husband just misplayed his 2nd last shot and John and rachel took advantage (and had a risky play to lose in the 7th to keep hammer and get 2 in the 8th).

• Love 1

Whew! Those were exciting games. Too bad that Canada had to lose for it to happen, but I'm soooo glad Australia got a win in their final game. They were so happy!

And Italy. Damn. They're killing it.

(And on a superficial note, I have a LOT of Olympic crushes in this mixed doubles tournament. Gosh.)

Edited by tracyscott76
2 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Do the Norwegians not wear their trademark fun pants this year? I saw them play just before the opening ceremony and they were wearing plain dark pants.

I think the fun pants might have just been in the 4-person team competition?

Canada's out in mixed doubles.. 
Italy was amazing, but I didn't really like John Morris's game at all these olympics. and it really seemed that he didn't listen to Homan at all. well what can you do. 

• Love 1

Oh my word, that Italy/Canada game. I was torn because I wanted Canada (well, Rachel mostly) in the medal round, but I kind of wanted Italy to stay undefeated, too. But down to an extra end, the last shot, AND needing a measurement. Whew, that was stressful! Good stuff.

12 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Italy was amazing, but I didn't really like John Morris's game at all these olympics. and it really seemed that he didn't listen to Homan at all. well what can you do.

Apparently that was a last-minute pairing, because he was supposed to be coaching the Australian team but had to substitute for Canada? I think I heard that, anyway. But he did seem to be taking control a lot.

1 minute ago, tracyscott76 said:

Oh my word, that Italy/Canada game. I was torn because I wanted Canada (well, Rachel mostly) in the medal round, but I kind of wanted Italy to stay undefeated, too. But down to an extra end, the last shot, AND needing a measurement. Whew, that was stressful! Good stuff.

Apparently that was a last-minute pairing, because he was supposed to be coaching the Australian team but had to substitute for Canada? I think I heard that, anyway. But he did seem to be taking control a lot.

yeah. lol half way through the match i was like.... I think i kinda want Italy to win, but somehow Rachel get in too.  I wasn't able to watch the entire tourny but the ones i did get it was like anytime Rachel said "I think we should do this." John is like no. Then John fluffed up then he goes "well you were right." and it was like. well at what point do you go. "okay Rach let's do it your way?"

• Love 1
18 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Whew! Those were exciting games. Too bad that Canada had to lose for it to happen, but I'm soooo glad Australia got a win in their final game. They were so happy!

I wasn't able to stay up to watch my Aussies last game - damn time zone difference and work commitments. But it was wonderful news to wake up to them defeating Canada. Mainly because the Canadian male was one of the people who coached them to their victory at the Olympic Qualifying event.

It was such a whirlwind day for the Aussie pair. On Saturday afternoon, Tahli tested positive again for covid (essentially detection from her December infection and her body hadn't been able to shake off the dead viral particles). So instead of being forced into an isolation hotel in Beijing they decided to come home to Australia that afternoon (since our rules said she could still hop on a plane). Media releases went out, they put up videos on their Instagram explaining the situation and thanking fans etc. And then 30 minutes before competition the AOC releases a statement that after pleading their case to the IOC (basically she doesn't have active covid particles), they are allowed to play their final 2 rounds. AND they won both! I know the Aussie media will be focussing on our medal winners as the highlight of the Olympics, but man its gonna be tough to beat our Mixed Double Curlers as the story of the games for me. Honestly if I had talent and money I would make a movie about their Olympic experience and the build up to it (like Cool Runnings or Eddie The Eagle), the expulsion was the the movie climax I was looking for. I'm sure it would be a hit in Norway and Canada haha.

Had to go to work this morning (ugh stupid work) so I couldn't see the outcome of the semi-finals. I avoided looking at the results  and was planning to watch the replays this evening after work...but like an ABSOLUTE IDIOT I looked ahead in the schedule to see when the medal games were, and of course they listed who was playing so I got spoiled anyway. 🤦‍♂️

One semi-final went the way I wanted and the other didn't, so fingers crossed that both the medal games conform to my rooting interests, which is obviously the most important thing. 😆

When Stefania Constantini is staring down the sheet lining up her shots, I'm surprised the ice doesn't melt. She is fierce as hell. I felt a little bad for Sweden in that semi-final because there was just no stopping Italy. A little worried that Norway has some mojo built up from their semi-final win. I need Italy to win out!

Oh hell yeah. Such a definitive final shot, too. Congrats Italy!

Brief moment of panic as Stefania was lining up her last shot, though, when the commentator mentioned that they were down to 20 seconds on their time clock. I was like "ack! hurry up!". But then he said they'd used their time out and had plenty of time. Whew!

Also, it was mentioned that the next Winter Olympics are being held in Stefania's hometown. So that could be helpful!

Now if my Japanese ladies can medal in the team event I will be a supremely happy camper.

Sending good vibes to Team Fujisawa for their first match tonight! Unfortunately, they are playing defending gold medalists Team Hasselborg of Sweden. But they beat them in round robin play in 2018 so I'm still feeling positive!

Team Fujisawa about gave me a heart attack with that game against Denmark. Down 2 in the last end, looking the whole end like they were going to struggle even to tie, then all of a sudden they score 3 and win.

bert-sesame-street.gif

56 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Team Fujisawa about gave me a heart attack with that game against Denmark. Down 2 in the last end, looking the whole end like they were going to struggle even to tie, then all of a sudden they score 3 and win.

I really couldn't understand the Danish stone management during that last end. Up two without hammer, why let that many stones accumulate in the rings - especially after Japan hogged a stone while trying to place a guard? Why not keep the house clear to prevent Japan from potentially ringing up a big score? 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Garden Wafers said:

I really couldn't understand the Danish stone management during that last end. Up two without hammer, why let that many stones accumulate in the rings - especially after Japan hogged a stone while trying to place a guard? Why not keep the house clear to prevent Japan from potentially ringing up a big score? 

Overconfidence? I'm probably biased because they were playing (and temporarily beating) my faves, but I got a weird vibe from Denmark that I didn't care for. Though I didn't get that vibe from Sweden, who DID beat Japan, so I'm not sure it's completely down to bias.

I continue to be puzzled by the strategy of teams heading into the 10th end. The men's team had an opportunity to draw for one in the 9th end of the USA-CHN game, but instead elected to try a double takeout to blank the end. Shuster missed and China ended up stealing one point. But if you look at the W-L records of teams in the 10th end, the success rate of teams two up with hammer (98.6) is only marginally better than teams three up without hammer (97.3%). On the other hand, allowing China to steal meant the success rate dropped down to 89.2%. 

• Love 1

I know nothing about curling rules or strategy, yet find myself watching and trying to figure it out.  

I'm sure there's a strategy for when, how fast, what direction, etc. the sweepers employ, but also that escapes me.  But the question I do have is - how do they avoid touching their rock?  Or avoid accidentally touching the opponent's rock with their feet or broom?  What happens in that instance?

Edited to add: Oh my gosh, it just happened during the USA-China match being show (on tape delay?) on USA network.  A US player touched the China rock with his broom.  He admitted immediately that it touched it.  It's like golf apparently, it's a gentleman's game and you are honest.  Even though to me it didn't seem like it moved at all.  And I guess China can decide for themselves what they want to do with it.  So China decided to leave the rock, even though they could have taken it out of play because of the inadvertent touch, because they knew that the touch was unintentional and that it wouldn't have affected the throw.

Edited by greyhorse
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Edited to add: Oh my gosh, it just happened during the USA-China match being show (on tape delay?) on USA network.  A US player touched the China rock with his broom.  He admitted immediately that it touched it.  It's like golf apparently, it's a gentleman's game and you are honest.  Even though to me it didn't seem like it moved at all.  And I guess China can decide for themselves what they want to do with it.  So China decided to leave the rock, even though they could have taken it out of play because of the inadvertent touch, because they knew that the touch was unintentional and that it wouldn't have affected the throw

I remember at the last Olympics when the Canadian women's skip, Rachel Homan, got a fair amount of criticism for opting to remove a stone that had been lightly touched instead of allowing it to stay in play - even though it was well within her rights to do so. The nice thing about curling is that it's meant to be a good-natured, self-policing game where the winners buy the losers a round of drinks after the game. The officials are really only there to manage the clock, take measurements, and occasionally act as line judges when the handles get wonky.

In the women's event, Japan, the US, and Great Britain are in a 3-way tie for 3rd place, with only 2 games to go. Japan and the US play each other next, so...sorry, US, I'm gonna have to root against you. Nothing personal. 

14 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

In the women's event, Japan, the US, and Great Britain are in a 3-way tie for 3rd place, with only 2 games to go. Japan and the US play each other next, so...sorry, US, I'm gonna have to root against you. Nothing personal. 

I'm still going to root for the US women, but am prepared for a loss to Japan. The shot success percentages (which, granted, should be taken with a grain of salt), show the Japanese women ahead of the Americans at all positions except at third; it's just hard to win games if your lead is ranked 7th in the field and your second is dead last. 

Edited by Garden Wafers
typo

Well the U.S. women made it interesting, but Japan would not be denied. Now if China can pull off this extra end against Canada, that will pad Japan's third place standing a bit.

I feel bad rooting against the U.S., Great Britain or Sweden. Too many teams I like in the running for these semifinal spots 🙁

Well, I was hoping for more for the U.S., but can't say I'm surprised. Becca Hamilton's been struggling this entire tournament and was again the weakest player at 72% shot accuracy. I know there's been talk about how the women's team have improved with just the switch in positions between Peterson and Roth, but they have the exact same W-L record as they did four years ago in Pyeongchang. I believe 2002 is the only time the U.S. women have ever had a winning record at the Olympics. I wonder what's happened to the Russian team though. I remember them making a deep run at world's last year and they're having a fairly torrid time. 

Looks like the Olympic site has put up sheets with the possible final round robin standings for the men and women. US women are officially out but the US men still have a good chance of progressing to the final four; they're in if they beat Denmark or the Italians beat the Norwegian team. 

20 minutes ago, Garden Wafers said:

Looks like the Olympic site has put up sheets with the possible final round robin standings for the men and women. US women are officially out but the US men still have a good chance of progressing to the final four; they're in if they beat Denmark or the Italians beat the Norwegian team. 

Thank you, this is very helpful. I was trying to work out the scenarios for Japan getting in, and as my "Never mind" post above shows, I was not having success 😆

I'm assuming that Japan (as much as I love them) are going to lose to Switzerland, and in that case it looks like I'm going to be relying on ROC or Denmark (or both) to win against Great Britain or Canada, respectively. Also would be helpful if Sweden beat Korea, and though that's a little more likely, Sweden is already in the semis and might not be pushing quite as hard.

This is like rooting for the Steelers. They can't just be a shoo-in or terrible. They have to leave it to the very last game.

12 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Thank you, this is very helpful. I was trying to work out the scenarios for Japan getting in, and as my "Never mind" post above shows, I was not having success 😆

Oh yeah, I always find myself becoming a human "math equations" GIF when it comes to the tail end of round robin play and trying to game out possible playoff scenarios. Based on the most recent DSC, the Japanese women are ahead of both the Brits and Canadians and would probably squeak by both teams if needed. The most dangerous scenario for the Japanese women would be the Brits beating Russia, Korea beating Sweden, and Japan losing to Switzerland. 

Well Japan made it in by the skin of their teeth. Whew! Now they get to play Switzerland again 🤦‍♂️

Oh well! Positive thoughts only!

I've been Team Shuster all this week because, well, I'm as guilty of boosterism as the next American - but also because I thought facing off against the USA in the final would give Nik Edin's rink the best chance of getting a gold medal. I just really want the guy to get an Olympic gold medal before his body completely poops out on him. 

Apparently Team Japan did not initially realize that they had made it to the semifinals and thought their loss to Switzerland in the last round robin game meant they were out. They found out in the middle of a post-game interview and were somewhat surprised, to say the least. I adore them so much.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaGlVh-pj7I/

9 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Apparently Team Japan did not initially realize that they had made it to the semifinals and thought their loss to Switzerland in the last round robin game meant they were out. They found out in the middle of a post-game interview and were somewhat surprised, to say the least. I adore them so much.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaGlVh-pj7I/

that was so adorable. Like What? Wait what? SQUEEEEEEEE

Well Canada won a bronze. so we've still medaled in every Olympics in the modern era but. geeze. this was not good at all.

• Love 2

I ended up rooting for Canada after I saw video of Jennifer Jones hugging the Japanese and Brad Gushue breaking down after his semi-final loss to Sweden. Canadian curlers are just too darn likable and I can't help but be sympathetic towards them given the weight of expectations they bear. Shuster's already had his redemption arc after his disastrous 2010 showing; just making it to another medal round proved his 2018 run wasn't a complete fluke.

On a side note, what exactly was going on with the Chinese women's skip? I remember in Vancouver it was a fairly big deal that Shuster was benched for one game because of how poorly he played; as far as I can tell, Han Yu was not only demoted to 3rd starting with China's 4th game but eventually completely dropped after their 6th game. 

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

that was so adorable. Like What? Wait what? SQUEEEEEEEE

That sums it up perfectly 😆

13 minutes ago, Garden Wafers said:

On a side note, what exactly was going on with the Chinese women's skip? I remember in Vancouver it was a fairly big deal that Shuster was benched for one game because of how poorly he played; as far as I can tell, Han Yu was not only demoted to 3rd starting with China's 4th game but eventually completely dropped after their 6th game. 

Yeah, that was odd. I also learned today that the Swiss skips don't shoot last. The women's skip shoots third and the men's shoots second. Whatever works, I guess.

Oh, and also:

Oh my freaking god Japan won! They beat Switzerland and are now guaranteed to improve on their bronze medal from PyeongChang! And they typically left it down to the last shot and it came down to inches, but holy crap they won!!!

Ok, time to calm down and remember I'm at work lol