Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Speculation without Spoilers

DEL901
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I read that there are rumours of a Keeley spin off.  Is so, Keeley will reject Roy because Bret Goldstein has a lot on his plate and the Shrinking team is trying to convince him to appear in the series as well as write and produce and even if he doesn’t, Bret has stated how much he is looking forward to working with them in person this year, rather than over Zoom.  

Juno is also quite busy with other projects as well, so I’d be surprised if she was given her own show. 

• Like 4

I’ve watched this show for 3 seasons and never thought that Ted and Rebecca would get together. He makes biscuits for only her because she’s the only woman left that he sees daily. He made them for Dr Sharon but she didn’t eat sugar. He made them for other women when they visited Rebecca.

I think Rebecca and Ted have a connection- as friends. I don’t think there needs to be a romantic pairing just because there is a man and a woman in close proximity. I would have less respect for the show if Ted and Rebecca got together. It’s eyerollingly tropey to me (recognizing of course that many others see it differently).

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
37 minutes ago, mledawn said:

I’ve watched this show for 3 seasons and never thought that Ted and Rebecca would get together. He makes biscuits for only her because she’s the only woman left that he sees daily. He made them for Dr Sharon but she didn’t eat sugar. He made them for other women when they visited Rebecca.

I think Rebecca and Ted have a connection- as friends. I don’t think there needs to be a romantic pairing just because there is a man and a woman in close proximity. I would have less respect for the show if Ted and Rebecca got together. It’s eyerollingly tropey to me (recognizing of course that many others see it differently).

Well Ted gave Sharon Rebecca’s biscuits that Sharon rejected. And Keeley used to work at Richmond everyday and he only brought Keeley biscuits when Jack ghosted her and it was 40 $pounds in a biscuit box. Biscuits are his and Rebecca’s thing, he intentionally brings them everyday so they can have time together. And for her they are a special memory of childhood.

Rebecca and Ted are more deeply connected than Ted and Keeley and Ted and Sassy. I’d say the only person Ted is more close to in London is Beard. Dr. Sharon made it clear from the beginning that their interactions were strictly professional. 

• Like 2

Speaking of hints or potential hints of Tedbecca, have we ever gotten anything about the "thunder and lightning (or lightening)" 'prediction' from the psychic?  Even if it doesn't pertain to Tedbecca or not.

We've gotten clear mentions or visual cues to the other things the psychic said - Tedbecca 'hints' or otherwise - but I can't remember an instance of the "T & L" (yet).

(edited)
2 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Speaking of hints or potential hints of Tedbecca, have we ever gotten anything about the "thunder and lightning (or lightening)" 'prediction' from the psychic?  Even if it doesn't pertain to Tedbecca or not.

We've gotten clear mentions or visual cues to the other things the psychic said - Tedbecca 'hints' or otherwise - but I can't remember an instance of the "T & L" (yet).

No thunder and lightening yet. I even wonder about the “one at a time please” which makes it sound like someone is in line.

I just can’t figure out both Ted and Rebecca having the matchbooks in her purse and his pocket months after receiving them. We know Ted got a matchbook, why did we need to see him having it specifically?Rebecca keeping the green army man and it stuck in the matchbook. The red and blue magnets in Ted’s pocket with his matchbook when Rebecca has sat in front of a red locker and Ted a blue when they’ve chatted.

Not to mention the “nining armor” where her ex’s scarf literally says “TED.”

What was the point of the signs? Why have Ted have them too?

Edited by scenicbyway
  • Like 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Well Ted gave Sharon Rebecca’s biscuits that Sharon rejected. And Keeley used to work at Richmond everyday and he only brought Keeley biscuits when Jack ghosted her and it was 40 $pounds in a biscuit box. Biscuits are his and Rebecca’s thing, he intentionally brings them everyday so they can have time together. And for her they are a special memory of childhood.

Ted also said in the first episode that he would bring her biscuits every day since she loved them so much, and Ted both keeps his promises and enjoys making people happy. I honestly don't think it goes deeper than that.

It's funny - none of the things people see as "hints towards Tedbecca" have ever struck me as such. (And I don't mean that in a patronising way or anything, it's just funny how people read things so differently!) The unanswered text and un-haha'd gifs? Friendly. The toy soldier is a sentimental keepsake, as is the matchbook, and they were kept together. Ted having the green matchbook in his pocket doesn't have to mean anything - he wasn't the one who got the prediction from the psychic, to him it's just a matchbook, but one he got from one of his players and so of course he's going to keep it around.

To me, if they suddenly get together in the last episode, *that* will be the misstep. I saw more romantic/sexual chemistry between Rebecca and Dutch guy than I have with Ted over the whole three seasons.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Like 6
(edited)
47 minutes ago, Schweedie said:

Ted also said in the first episode that he would bring her biscuits every day since she loved them so much, and Ted both keeps his promises and enjoys making people happy. I honestly don't think it goes deeper than that.

It's funny - none of the things people see as "hints towards Tedbecca" have ever struck me as such. (And I don't mean that in a patronising way or anything, it's just funny how people read things so differently!) The unanswered text and un-haha'd gifs? Friendly. The toy soldier is a sentimental keepsake, as is the matchbook, and they were kept together. Ted having the green matchbook in his pocket doesn't have to mean anything - he wasn't the one who got the prediction from the psychic, to him it's just a matchbook, but one he got from one of his players and so of course he's going to keep it around.

To me, if they suddenly get together in the last episode, *that* will be the misstep. I saw more romantic/sexual chemistry between Rebecca and Dutch guy than I have with Ted over the whole three seasons.

And to me it seems like the writers were continually baiting the audience when there didn’t need to be bait. A great example is when it looked like Rebecca and Ted were talking on Bantr but it was Sam.  Or making it look like it would be Rebecca at Ted’s hotel door instead of Sassy.

With the matchbook, it’s already associated with Sam, it’s his restaurant, everyone on the team got one. Rebecca keeps it in her purse because of the psychic otherwise it would be in her matchbook drawer. Why do they need to show Ted with his months later? Ted has no attachment to Sam other than as his coach. Why not show Roy with his matchbook or Keeley with hers? Because the writers want us to know Rebecca and Ted are actively carrying them. Why? Baiting the audience or something more?

Edited by scenicbyway
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

And to me it seems like the writers were continually baiting the audience when there didn’t need to be bait. A great example is when it looked like Rebecca and Ted were talking on Bantr but it was Sam.  Or making it look like it would be Rebecca at Ted’s hotel door instead of Sassy.

With the matchbook, it’s already associated with Sam, it’s his restaurant, everyone on the team got one. Rebecca keeps it in her purse because of the psychic otherwise it would be in her matchbook drawer. Why do they need to show Ted with his months later? Ted has no attachment to Sam other than as his coach. Why not show Roy with his matchbook or Keeley with hers? Because the writers want us to know Rebecca and Ted are actively carrying them. Why? Baiting the audience or something more?

I'll give you the Bantr texting, but I never saw that as baiting, just a regular misdirect that shows like to do. And it never even occurred to me to think it would be Rebecca outside Ted's room instead of Sassy. I don't remember, how did they make it look like it might be?

I don't think the show *means* it as baiting, since I don't think everything has to mean something. No, they didn't need to show Ted carrying the matchbook, but since the matchbook isn't considered special to him, there's no reason why him having it necessarily means something, you know? That moment certainly didn't make me think it had anything to do with Rebecca - it's possible the writers didn't even realise people would read it otherwise and just threw it in as a prop, something we would recognise.

I could be completely wrong, and there might be a big reveal in the last episode, but what others have seen as baiting and signs I would find far fetched in retrospect. But I also tend to hate romantic comedies (including both You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle), so I might not be the best judge romance on the screen, heh.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Trillium said:

Juno is also quite busy with other projects as well, so I’d be surprised if she was given her own show. 

All I can say is that, from this day forward, whenever I check into a hotel, the first thing I will do is check to see if Keely is on the in-house channel. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don’t think the matchbooks meant nothing. But I also don’t think the meaning will necessarily be romantic. There’s a lot that the finale needs to accomplish. If there is some epiphany that Rebecca loves Ted romantic way or vice versa there’s a lot of stuff that would need to happen for it to be believable. One of them would need to have a come to that realization.  And there’s no way Rebecca/Ted wouldn’t talk to Sassy about it (yes she was clear they were just FWB, you still run it by your bestie if you want to date their special friend) her and Ted would have to discuss it. That’s a lot just there to unravel in one episode. Never mind there’s the Rupert stuff, Roy and Keeley (and maybe Jamie), Ted and Nate, Nate and the team. Oh and somewhere in there they need to play a match and win the whole fucking thing. Even with Ted and Rebecca not becoming involved romantically I’m not sure there’s time for everything to have a satisfying end. It’s too bad they spent the first half of the season on Poochie Shandy, Jack, Zava. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
55 minutes ago, Schweedie said:

I'll give you the Bantr texting, but I never saw that as baiting, just a regular misdirect that shows like to do. And it never even occurred to me to think it would be Rebecca outside Ted's room instead of Sassy. I don't remember, how did they make it look like it might be?

I don't think the show *means* it as baiting, since I don't think everything has to mean something. No, they didn't need to show Ted carrying the matchbook, but since the matchbook isn't considered special to him, there's no reason why him having it necessarily means something, you know? That moment certainly didn't make me think it had anything to do with Rebecca - it's possible the writers didn't even realise people would read it otherwise and just threw it in as a prop, something we would recognise.

I could be completely wrong, and there might be a big reveal in the last episode, but what others have seen as baiting and signs I would find far fetched in retrospect. But I also tend to hate romantic comedies (including both You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle), so I might not be the best judge romance on the screen, heh.

In Sleepless in Seattle the protagonist is constantly looking for signs. Her wedding dress rips, that must mean she shouldn’t get married to her fiancee. She sees a sign of the Empire State Building that must mean that’s where she’ll meet her soulmate. The “signs” become the truth. That’s why it’s odd that Ted is being shown with the matchbook. In Sleepless the male protagonist is fairly clueless until the end.

As for the hotel Sassy scene, Rebecca had been checking on him just prior and she was looking to spend the night with someone, it looked like it would be Ted vs the waiter.

Do “just friends” send 15 unanswered texts like Ted did in Amsterdam? Why not have Higgins check on her there? There are lots of deliberate Ted/Rebecca interactions that wouldn’t have happened between say Ted and Keeley and Roy and Rebecca and they don’t have anything to do with being an owner or coach.

12 minutes ago, Trillium said:

I don’t think the matchbooks meant nothing. But I also don’t think the meaning will necessarily be romantic. There’s a lot that the finale needs to accomplish. If there is some epiphany that Rebecca loves Ted romantic way or vice versa there’s a lot of stuff that would need to happen for it to be believable. One of them would need to have a come to that realization.  And there’s no way Rebecca/Ted wouldn’t talk to Sassy about it (yes she was clear they were just FWB, you still run it by your bestie if you want to date their special friend l) her and Ted would have to discuss it. That’s a lot just there to unravel in one episode. Never mind there’s the Rupert stuff, Roy and Keeley (and maybe Jamie), Ted and Nate, Nate and the team. Oh and somewhere in there they need to play a match and win the whole fucking thing. Even with Ted and Rebecca not becoming involved romantically I’m not sure there’s time for everything to have a satisfying end. It’s too bad they spent the first half of the season on Poochie Shandy, Jack, Zava. 

I do hope we’ll get to see Rebecca’s reaction to (presumably) Ted leaving. Rebecca’s theme has been that she doesn’t want to be alone, she wants a family, I hope she gets one.

• Like 2
(edited)

Do I think a Tedbecca endgame would have worked, just based on the perceived hints?  Yes.

But they screwed the pooch and never addressed it at any time in-show.  Unless the series finale is close to 2 hours long, or more - and they spend a good deal of that time on setting it up - there's no way a Tedbecca endgame won't feel totally shoe-horned in IF they go that route.

Hell, as mentioned above, a 'normal-ish' 75 to 80-minute episode won't even be enough time to put a bow on all the storylines that are already known to be needing wrapped up as the series ends.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Rebecca and Ted are more deeply connected than Ted and Keeley and Ted and Sassy. I’d say the only person Ted is more close to in London is Beard. Dr. Sharon made it clear from the beginning that their interactions were strictly professional. 

Yes - Rebecca and Ted are friends. Dr Sharon made it clear she and Ted were not friends. 

1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

Do “just friends” send 15 unanswered texts like Ted did in Amsterdam? Why not have Higgins check on her there? There are lots of deliberate Ted/Rebecca interactions that wouldn’t have happened between say Ted and Keeley and Roy and Rebecca and they don’t have anything to do with being an owner or coach.

Just friends do in a crisis, yes. Or when concerned about that friend, yes. I definitely think Ted and Rebecca have a close connection. Comparing relationships across the show is like apples and oranges. I have many friends in my life and I don't have the same relationship with every single one of them.

I don't feel baited by anything because I simply don't see Ted and Rebecca as a romantic pairing. Which is fine.

• Like 5
(edited)
23 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

I wonder how Nate will react to Trent in the next episode? Nate would presumably know that Trent is no longer a reporter. I wonder if he knows he’s writing a book about the whole season?

As far as I'm concerned, Nate can keep any and all reactions to Trent & the book to himself.

He forfeited any right to have a say about any of it - at least the 'bad' parts about him - through his actions late last season.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

Just watched 3.11 again. What strikes me is that Ted doesn’t go find Nate (not that he should). Higgins rallys the team to go check on Nate (probably at Ted’s request, because why else would they want Nate back)? Ted sends Beard because Beard owes him and can understand second chances. 

Perhaps Ted’s truth bomb to Rebecca is that Nate will be returning. Maybe he chickens out on telling her he’s leaving initially.

Also in the rule of threes on this show…Ted and Michelle have had the last scene twice this season  and Ted and Rebecca twice as well…

8 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Do “just friends” send 15 unanswered texts like Ted did in Amsterdam? Why not have Higgins check on her there?

I mean, yes, in that situation, why wouldn't they? Higgins was off doing his own thing. Ted was lonely and bored and he assumed Rebecca would be alone, too, and was talking to his friend. Maybe twelve is a lot, but it's not weird to me because in texts and, like, Whatsapp, I tend to write that way as well - many short messages after one another.

I think this might just be a case of how romantics vs non-romantics see things, heh. Plenty of people are saying Jamie and Roy are clearly in love, too, and I'm over here like, what?

8 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Rebecca’s theme has been that she doesn’t want to be alone, she wants a family, I hope she gets one.

On this, we can agree! I really hope she gets a happy ending, or an ending that clearly sets her on a journey to that.

• Like 1

I saw an interesting theory on the Ted Lassi subreddit last night that the friendship/relationship being played out between Ted and Rebecca resembles When Harry Met Sally, a classic Nora Ephron film. The premise of the movie is…can men and women just be friends? Harry and Sally at first hate each other, thrown together by circumstance. But over the course of a decade become friends, see each other through other relationships and ultimately fall in love in the last few minutes.

Harry becomes divorced, his wife leaves him for a professor type. He obsesses over the divorce. Sally’s engagement ends when her fiancée breaks it off and he she spirals when she figures out he just didn’t want to be married to her vs. marry someone else. Sally’s fear is that she will end up alone over 40.

They become each others first and last call of the day. They karaoke “Surrey with the fringe on top” from the musical “Oklahoma.” They watch old movies together. Their mutual best friends end up together.

Just looking at Ted/Rebecca, they are very like Harry/Sally. Rebecca is from “Surrey,” their code word for truth telling is “Oklahoma.” Ted obsesses over his divorce and Rebecca snaps him out of it. Rebecca is constantly worried about being alone. Rupert didn’t want to have a child with her, etc.  

• Useful 5
(edited)

I'm wondering if the title of the series finale isn't mostly just one big misdirect.  I am very iffy (at best) on most of this, but its not totally out of the realm of possibility.

We're all assuming that the truth bomb Ted is laying on Rebecca - as 3.11 ends - is that he's resigning and leaving after the season.  But what if its a bunch of other people instead leaving? 

And Ted's 'bomb' ends up being either about trying to bring Nate back or he's about to give Rebecca another version of a "thank you, but fuck you" speech OR after the final scenes with his mom, decides to share with Rebecca about his dad's suicide & being there when he did it;  and how that's made him into the man he is now.

-  Nate.  He tells Ted and Richmond, thanks for the forgiveness and wanting to welcome me back, but I'm going with Jade back to her home country.

-  Michelle.  Tells Ted she wants a clean break from him, and in that vein awards full custody of Henry to him.  (meaning Ted can stay in England, if wants)

-  Keeley.  Tells Roy (& Jamie and Rebecca) that on her path to being an "independent woman" means she has to leave the country to establish a PR firm - or something like it - elsewhere.

-  Rupert.  Is either dying or realizes he's hurt way too many people to stick around that area of the country.

There could be more leaving than I listed, but the main point is that maybe the Ted Lasso finale pulls a big "gotcha!" next week. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

Regarding Nate...

When people were speculating that Zava would come back and play for another team, real football purists went crazy because contracts aren't permissive to that kind of return. Given that we're led to believe that he left the position, it seems an unlikely move to then get on with another club during the season, bringing all that insider info. But I know, it's just a show and they can do whatever they want, yada yada, and they were always going to welcome him back to the fold anyway, etc.

Nate tells Jade something to the effect that he has to go back to Richmond to make things right. I'm thinking that maybe he signs on for this last game, or just offers his expertise and helps them win with his strategies (which may be super relevant, especially if Jamie can't play with his injury), makes amends, and moves on to head coach another team. I'd like that for him, with a side helping of violin. (Roy will def be the manager at Richmond.)

(Edited to add that, yes, coaches and managers can hop teams, even during the season. So, color me educated.)

Edited by Kabota
  • Like 4

None of my predictions have paid off this season, but I still have one more.  The last scene will be six or so months later and we will see the publication of THE LASSO EFFECT by Trent Crimm.  I can even envision Ted in a small, independent American bookstore with Henry and buying a copy.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kabota said:

Regarding Nate…

Nate tells Jade something to the effect that he has to go back to Richmond to make things right. I'm thinking that maybe he signs on for this last game, or just offers his expertise and helps them win with his strategies (which may be super relevant, especially if Jamie can't play with his injury), makes amends, and moves on to head coach another team. I'd like that for him, with a side helping of violin. (Roy will def be the manager at Richmond.)

Making things right with Richmond doesn’t necessarily mean coming back to work…just apologizing in person and taking responsibility for his actions.   And maybe spilling some beans to Bex which resulted in her reaching out to Rebecca and the (literal) other woman. 

• Like 3

Another interesting tidbit floating around on Twitter:

The pyramid of success in Ted and Beards office…

Roy is shown looking at it in Season 1 and he leaves the team.

Nate is shown looking at it in Season 2 and leaves.

Ted is shown looking at it in Season 3 and Rebecca is shown looking at it in 3.11.

Roy and Nate both return eventually to Richmond, I wonder if this means Ted and Rebecca leave (does that mean selling the team for her?). But it leaves the door open for their return.

• Like 2
(edited)

I do think Roy and Keeley do end up together. Roy’s been in love with her basically the whole time. The last episode they made it clear where he’s at with it. There isn’t time with one episode left for him to fall out of love with her to date someone else or be ok with her dating Jamie. So if they don’t end up together, it ends with a heartbroken Roy, and that just doesn’t seem like a fitting ending for Roy Kent. It’s not a very rom-com ending. I mean they absolutely could do a HIMYM style ending where they basically shit all over everything previously established. But I think they won’t. The HIMYM ending was/is intensely hated. But they have made some poor decisions this season so who knows. I’d actually like to see a press room proposal, kinda like when he first asked her out. It would be a nice way to wrap that up. 

I don’t think Ted and Rebecca end up together romantically. Maybe they do some kind of ambitious ending where she’s on her way to somewhere but we don’t know who it is she’s going to. Is it Ted? Is it House Boat Hottie? And the viewer can just pick the one they want in their own mind. Not a fan of endings like that personally, but I can see it. 

Richmond wins the whole fucking thing and Colin gets to kiss his fella like he wanted. I reject any ending that isn’t that.

Edited by Trillium
  • Like 4
On 5/24/2023 at 6:01 PM, Trillium said:

It’s too bad they spent the first half of the season on Poochie Shandy, Jack, Zava. 

I think each of these characters were essential for showing growth. Shandy showed what life would have been like for Keely if she hadn't connected with Rebecca. It also showed that she could make hard business decisions when she fired Shandy. Jack showed Keely that she needed someone who would accept her the way she was or no one at all. Zava showed the team that they should not rely on one star player, that they needed to work as team. Zava also inspired Jamie to put in the work he needed so he could have the respect that he craved. I agree Shandy and Jack were around longer than I liked, but I think all three characters were important plot advancements.

• Like 4

RomComs are famous for not putting couples together until the last moment because that’s the fantasy, right? You see them kiss at the end but you also see the work they did to get there and not the hard stuff of life after. Roy has worked on himself, especially these last few episodes and he is finally telling Keeley how he feels. Keeley has also experienced a crisis this season with her work and personal life but has made a choice to let Roy back in.

Ted and Rebecca are the lead characters. Lead characters in romcoms end up with the other lead character.  There’s no pay off if they don’t. The cliffhanger is between the two of them. If Ted was leaving and he and Rebecca were just owner and coach, wouldn’t the cliffhanger really be with Ted and Beard? Beard not wanting to leave because he’s in love? But Beard being conflicted because he is only there because of Ted? But since Beard is not the co-main character the cliffhanger isn’t between them. 

• Like 1

My predictions for next week:

Richmond wins it all…and Colin does get to kiss his fella…or maybe just Trent. 
Roy and Keeley get engaged.

Rupert gets his…someone as vile as him must also have been diddling the books and Nate gave Bex the evidence… Rupert gets taken away in cuffs while the three women enjoy the show.  Bex gets the team.  And hires Nate back 

Ted slips away leaving a note behind appointing Beard a# his successor because although he knows Beard would come if asked, he knows his friend is in love and has a new life in Richmond. 

The last shot is Ted and his son and they are opening a Christmas present…a copy of Trent’s book, The Lasso Way.  Then there is a knock on the door and it is Rebecca and Beard and Roy and everyone else.  

Fade to black.  

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

IMDB cast list for final episode 

Reveal spoiler

No Dutch guy.   Also, an extra listed as “airplane passenger “

To be honest, I never saw him as a strong potential candidate of an endgame for Rebecca.  Always felt like he, and that night, were just a means to an end.  A way to help her realize things and how she could achieve them.

I know others saw/hoped for that, but I just never got that vibe myself.

• Like 2
(edited)
46 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

To be honest, I never saw him as a strong potential candidate of an endgame for Rebecca.  Always felt like he, and that night, were just a means to an end.  A way to help her realize things and how she could achieve them.

I know others saw/hoped for that, but I just never got that vibe myself.

There’s no way this is the complete cast list, half the team is missing as are Rupert’s ex’s The only way we’ll see a complete list is after the episode.

I rewatched the scene with Keeley and Rebecca in 3.07 where they discuss Amsterdam and while she said the experience transcended sex, she didn’t seem interested in seeing him again. She wasn’t worried that she didn’t know his name. She was also twisting a lasso ring on her finger throughout the convo.

Edited by scenicbyway
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

There’s no way this is the complete cast list, half the team is missing as are Rupert’s ex’s The only way we’ll see a complete list is after the episode.

I rewatched the scene with Keeley and Rebecca in 3.07 where they discuss Amsterdam and while she said the experience transcended sex, she didn’t seem interested in seeing him again. She wasn’t worried that she didn’t know his name. She was also twisting a lasso ring on her finger throughout the convo.

True.  But I do think the other person I mentioned is significant.  

They have snookered me before, but I get a strong instinct that Beard will stay behind and coach Richmond.

One of the things that a good coach knows is that eventually people need to leave the nest. So he's been Beard's best friend and protector for a long time, and it's time for that crazy dude to go out on his own. Though probably with Roy and Nate.

I also look forward to whatever comeupance they give to Rupert.

• Like 2

I’m predicting the final game ends in a draw with penalty kicks deciding the outcome so that we can get hero moments for each of the players we have come to know over the last three years.

if Rebecca and Ted end up together (which I hope they don’t), Rebecca will rush to the airport to express her love to Ted before he flies back to America. What could be more romcom than that?

I also think that we will learn that Nate walked in on Rupert assaulting Ms. Kakes (is that his former assistant’s name?) and that is the reason he left West Ham and why Bex and the assistant shows up on Rebecca’s doorstep. Rupert is arrested and disgraced, giving him the punishment he deserves.

• Like 4

I’m also very much looking forward to seeing what’s in store for Rupert. It would be the best ending if he lost a second football club.

41 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I’m predicting the final game ends in a draw with penalty kicks deciding the outcome so that we can get hero moments for each of the players we have come to know over the last three years.

While that would be neat, league matches don’t go to penalties - that’s just for cup matches. A draw would simply mean both teams get a point each.

It’s a bit of a shame they’ve just ignored the FA Cup this season, that could’ve had penalty shootout potential. Before this season I didn’t figure they’d actually win the whole league, but I thought they might revenge on City in the FA Cup and win Richmond’s first major trophy that way.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Schweedie said:

While that would be neat, league matches don’t go to penalties - that’s just for cup matches. A draw would simply mean both teams get a point each.

Thanks for the information. I know nothing about soccer/football. My local MLS team won a game last week by penalty kicks, which is why I thought of it. But I guess they are playing for a cup (the Open Cup?) Is there a post-season cup match for the top teams, equivalent to the Super Bowl? I thought I read that Man City has won the Premier League championship but has the chance to win two more trophies this year.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

How cool would that be?  But I'm deeply afraid they will lose the final but Ted will leave the team anyway to go back to his son.  :'(

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Thanks for the information. I know nothing about soccer/football. My local MLS team won a game last week by penalty kicks, which is why I thought of it. But I guess they are playing for a cup (the Open Cup?) Is there a post-season cup match for the top teams, equivalent to the Super Bowl? I thought I read that Man City has won the Premier League championship but has the chance to win two more trophies this year.

Yeah, English teams participate in two or three cups outside of the league - the League Cup and the FA Cup for English teams, and for the higher placed teams, a European cup, the main one being the Champions League. All those finals except for the League Cup are played at the end of May or early June once the league is over (and like you say, Manchester City have won the league, and they’re going to play in both the Champions League and FA Cup finals).

25 minutes ago, Schweedie said:

It’s a bit of a shame they’ve just ignored the FA Cup this season, that could’ve had penalty shootout potential. Before this season I didn’t figure they’d actually win the whole league, but I thought they might revenge on City in the FA Cup and win Richmond’s first major trophy that way.

Along with ignoring much about the experience of being in the Premier League, they have ignored the FA Cup and that experience of competing in that very important cup. They ignored the fact that they are going to the Champions League next year, one of the greatest leagues in the world. They have ignored that Jamie may be winning the golden boot. They have ignored the fact that they went from the Champions to Premier League and are in second place. Also, the amount of money that Nate was paid for 3/4 of a season would be enough to keep him quite comfortable for the rest of his life. Lastly, Nate is a winning coach in the Premier League and at least dozens of teams now and at the end of the season would be knocking down his door to hire him. He could hand pick a decent owner if he wanted to.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, juno said:

Along with ignoring much about the experience of being in the Premier League, they have ignored the FA Cup and that experience of competing in that very important cup. They ignored the fact that they are going to the Champions League next year, one of the greatest leagues in the world.

It would’ve been really nice if they’d had a moment of celebration after they won the match that secured them top four and the Champions League. I know the football is just a vehicle for the show, but still. Richmond going to the Champions League is HUGE and a major win in itself.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Schweedie said:

It would’ve been really nice if they’d had a moment of celebration after they won the match that secured them top four and the Champions League. I know the football is just a vehicle for the show, but still. Richmond going to the Champions League is HUGE and a major win in itself.

And possibly one of the great achievemenst in the history of the Premier League. But they ignore all the great things about English football unless it fits the shows story. Sad really.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, juno said:

And possibly one of the great achievemenst in the history of the Premier League. But they ignore all the great things about English football unless it fits the shows story. Sad really.

I mean, I get it, because the show isn’t actually *about* football, it’s about the people, and there’s no way you can fit everything about English football into twelve episodes. But a throwaway line about the Champions League at least would’ve been nice.

To bring this back on topic, as someone said above (and I think I’ve said it before) - I’d really like it if they win their final match and Colin feels comfortable enough to kiss his fella.

• Like 5

I know there is going to be this super satisfying kumbaya type ending with hugs and kisses, but I believe that at the end of the day, the third season of Ted Lasso will be one of the biggest disappointments in TV history.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 5/27/2023 at 3:07 PM, juno said:

Along with ignoring much about the experience of being in the Premier League, they have ignored the FA Cup and that experience of competing in that very important cup. They ignored the fact that they are going to the Champions League next year, one of the greatest leagues in the world. They have ignored that Jamie may be winning the golden boot. They have ignored the fact that they went from the Champions to Premier League and are in second place. Also, the amount of money that Nate was paid for 3/4 of a season would be enough to keep him quite comfortable for the rest of his life. Lastly, Nate is a winning coach in the Premier League and at least dozens of teams now and at the end of the season would be knocking down his door to hire him. He could hand pick a decent owner if he wanted to.

It is interesting that there really has been a serious lack of world building in this area, from head office on down. 

They mentioned

Spoiler

Jamie being named Player of the Month

this episode, so maybe they will tie up some stories with awards, new contracts, endorsements, opportunities, etc. Being the best version of yourself, on and off the pitch, does come with some perks. And I'd think Jamie would be more in line for Player/Playmaker of the Season than the Boot?

Edited by Kabota
1 minute ago, Kabota said:

It is interesting that there really has been a lack of world building in this area, from head office on down. 

They mentioned Jamie being named Player of the Month, this episode, so maybe they will tie up some stories with awards, new contracts, endorsements, opportunities, etc. Being the best version of yourself, on and off the pitch, does come with some perks. And I'd think Jamie would be more in line for Player of the Season than the Boot?

No kidding. These would be world news not just a throwaway line in an episode. You are 100% right, the stories about their new celebrity, endorsements and fame are also completely missed. Even the stories about a team that goes from being dropped to coming back and going to second place would be talked about all over the world. You would have reporters from all over the world in Richmond.

23 minutes ago, Kabota said:

They mentioned

Reveal spoiler

Jamie being named Player of the Month

this episode, so maybe they will tie up some stories with awards, new contracts, endorsements, opportunities, etc. Being the best version of yourself, on and off the pitch, does come with some perks. And I'd think Jamie would be more in line for Player of the Season than the Boot?

That's a good shout! When it comes to new contracts and such, I've always thought that if this was the last season of the show, which it seems it is, it would make sense for not just Ted but also for some of the players to move on. Jamie for sure, and probably Sam from what little we've heard, would definitely be getting offers from some big clubs after this season and it would've made sense for them to go, although now that Richmond will play in the Champions League it'd also make sense that they'd want to stay another year for that. But it'd be interesting if we at least got some mentions of that - "Bayern have inquired about Jamie", "Atlético are interested in Sam", etc.

Speaking of Jamie, I kind of hope they don't just stick him with Roy for whatever in the finale - like, I love the relationship they've built, but the show has focussed so much on that this season that I feel like it's isolated Jamie from the team a bit. I'd like some Sam and Jamie time, for instance.

(And yes, Jamie for Player of the Season, please.)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Schweedie said:

To bring this back on topic, as someone said above (and I think I’ve said it before) - I’d really like it if they win their final match and Colin feels comfortable enough to kiss his fella.

Same! When they got relegated Ted told Rebecca they’d get promoted the next year and then win it all the year after that. I want that to happen. And I want Colin to kiss his fella when it does.

• Like 3

I think Ted returns to Kansas but what will he coach? Will he return to American football or stay with soccer?

Late to this but MLS regular season matches don't end in penalties either - a draw is a draw.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, mledawn said:

I think Ted returns to Kansas but what will he coach? Will he return to American football or stay with soccer?

I think Ted would be a perfect high school football coach. Yes, he was a coach in a very high British professional league, and won a national championship (Not D-1) in the US. But Ted's great gift is making people better people, and high school is where it would have the greatest effect.

I can see him coaching in Kansas, and eventually being Henry's high school coach.

• Like 5

My guess is that Richmond wins their last game - but it's not enough to be come in first. 

Longshot guess: The episode starts with a time jump and Trent Crimm discussing his book on Richmond.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1