Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": Week of 8/25/14

The date for this year's Emmy Awards is Aug. 25 (a Monday night, oddly enough...) and presumably Stephen and a large part of the staff will be out in L.A. for that, hurrying back for Tuesday's new show. Will Stephen be bringing home another statuette for his collection?

8/25/14 DARK

8/26/14 Jeff Bridges & Lois Lowry - "The Giver"
8/27/14 Michael Sheen - "Masters of Sex"
8/28/14 JR - Photographer & Street Artist (rescheduled from earlier in the summer)

The VMAs? Seriously? I would think the TV academy would not be the one to blink first in that conflict. What's next, the Oscars move to Monday to avoid being the same night as the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards?

In any case, I will be interested to see if Colbert gets a "bump" from the announcement that the Report will end this year. Let's hope we get a "Who's Honoring Me Now" segment on Tuesday.

The VMAs? Seriously? I would think the TV academy would not be the one to blink first in that conflict. What's next, the Oscars move to Monday to avoid being the same night as the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards?

In any case, I will be interested to see if Colbert gets a "bump" from the announcement that the Report will end this year. Let's hope we get a "Who's Honoring Me Now" segment on Tuesday.

I assume "Stephen" might have something to say about getting bumped for the VMA's. Though, Beyonce is performing and is nominated for eight awards, so that might explain the schedule changes.

The Oscars moved from their traditional monday night to their now traditional Sunday night...sometime within living memory. But the ceremony is typically after the SuperBowl or whatever that thing is called that has all the new ads.

Edited by Vera Similitude
  • Love 1

Well, tonight's episode was saying "We just flew back across the country, hungover from winning the Emmy, and are just slaping up something that was taped prior". I can understand why it was done, but it felt so underwhelming after Jon's righteous anger on TDS tonight.

• Love 3

I thought the show would feel strange, what with being taped a week or so back, but the interview with Congresswoman Fudge was completely enjoyable and fun. I loved that she laughed so much, and she has a calm, comforting presence that I liked.

So funny that he got her to say "Rock us out with our caucus out." 

OK. I don't know the Milk milk lemonade rhyme, and I didn't catch the whole line either. Can someone help me out?

I noticed in the opening that Colbore was one of the words, which is how Gwen Stefani pronounced his name.

I don't know the Milk milk lemonade rhyme, and I didn't catch the whole line either. Can someone help me out?

The couplet is: Milk, milk, lemonade/around the corner fudge is made.

It's a thing that kids of my era found HIGHlarious. When reciting, one would point to each nipple ('milk'), one's genital area (um, 'lemondade', because pee is liquid and yellow, geddit?), and then swing the gesturing arm around to one's anus ('fudge' 'made here').

The best result was if you could, by reciting and gesturing, get your cohort to dissolve into embarrassed giggles or, better yet, scream a disgusted/delighted 'Ewwwww!' and run away.

I don't thing the good Congresswoman was familiar with it either. Which must be a relief, to plead ignorance.

• Love 3

I think Rep. Fudge was a textbook example of how to behave on BKAD. She took everything in stride and responded to Stephen's insanity with good humor. The fencing bit was fun, as well. At first I was bummed to see that the show had been in the can for a couple of weeks, but I wound up being happy that she got two segments!

It made me hope that somehow Stephen can continue his 434-part series on "Late Show"... though congressional representatives will probably be replaced by the likes of Lindsay Lohan and Howie Mandel. Sigh.

"Congressional s'more," "Rock us out with our caucus out," "I am a Fudgepacker," and "Milk, milk, lemonade" - oh, the 10-year-old/frat boy in me was delighted by all of those.  And that "Turn Around, Charlene" just kept going on and on and ON!  

Yeah, it felt more like a special than an actual show, but it was nice to see the 2-segment interview...and fencing match.  

I've never read The Giver, but I loved Lowry's Number the Stars and the Anastasia Krupnik series when I was a kid.  I'd never seen an interview with Lowry before, but she seems like cool aunt/favorite teacher type of person.  

Edited by eejm

At least Stephen waited a bit before he flipped the board the game and pieces in disgust after losing to Brandon, AGAIN!

Michael Sheen is an excellent late night guest. He's great when Craig Ferguson has him on, and he was great when Stephen interviewed him.

Yes, Michael Sheen is a great interview. So quick-witted and smart. I wish the segment had been longer. I don't have Showtime, but I watched S1 of Masters of Sex on DVD. Great show. Sheen, as usual, is fantastic.

I wish we could get more Sheen in his Welsh accent.

Is there any competitive shout more triumphant than "TRIPLE WORD SCORE!!!!"? I do not think so. (Maybe adding on a 'motherfucker'. Maybe, but that's not something I can do when I'm Scrabbling with family. More's the pity.)

Is there any competitive shout more triumphant than "TRIPLE WORD SCORE!!!!"? I do not think so. (Maybe adding on a 'motherfucker'. Maybe, but that's not something I can do when I'm Scrabbling with family. More's the pity.)

That's too bad, "motherfucker" has to be worth a lot of points with Triple Word Score.

• Love 2

No doubt that the radio interpretation of Zombie Reagan, as described by Stephen, is a wet dream wished upon by idiots like Gingrich, Graham, and the Ghastly Trio of Fox and Friends.

Nothing makes us happy more than seeing Stephen breaking character, laughing.

I loved that pic of ventriloquist Gingrich with dummy Reagan on his lap.

What was Jay the intern using to make the freight train noise?

Stephen cracking up about Vapshot was great. What a horrible product, but I'm sure college kids will take up collections to buy one for the frat house.

Loved "Who exactly IS.. IS IS?" and "Forty-somethings having a mid-life ISIS."

I thought the photos that JR had installed in various places were really interesting, particularly the one in a field in Pakistan.

I believe ISIS is mostly used because it is easier, catchy. Just one more of those things our decadent media likes to do.

I believe the more accurate term would be ISIL, like the Government uses, since it is clear to me that the group is not only interested in controlling Iraq and Syria, but the whole region.