Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Call Me A Sporty Giant

• Start Topic

Oh man, I was not expecting to get a little teary over Hungry Hungry Hippos, but here we are. I figured that Kat and Randi having to go to a grief support group would connect with Kat's dad passing, but it was really well done. 

I thought this episode was really good, not much fourth wall breaking but instead focusing on character driven hijinks. I don't think that Max/Carter/Phil have had a whole lot of subplots, so that was nice to see. "We had extremely different childhoods." 

My only real complaint about this episode? A tragic lack of cats. You promised me cats show, I expect cats. 

• Love 8

I don't really have much to say about this one except that it was a little less good than the previous episode.  And I appreciated that they're using Randi as a sidekick for Kat.  But it does concern me that more people haven't posted.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I don't think that Max/Carter/Phil have had a whole lot of subplots

I thought it was boring. And I'm sorry, but I just can't believe Phil can attract a young, hot male nurse.

Do they put bike shorts under every skirt outfit Kat wears?  And why was Randi worried about putting their Salt n' Peppa act on TikTok when she and Kat were doing it in a well lit apartment at night in their jammies in front of two windows with the curtains not drawn?  I'm sure everyone who drove or walked by could look up and see them.

And the obviously injected dialogue by Max regarding 'climate change, wage gap and social injustice' was not only a random toss in to address issues in the world, but spoken by some self-absorbed white guy who probably gets his news from celebrity Twitter was eye rolling.  Yeah - sure, Max. You're really concerned about these 'issues'.  Go look in a mirror and tell yourself you're beautiful and go away

I think it would've been more poignant to have the end scene being Randi bringing over Hungry Hungry Hippo to play with Kat rather than teaching Phil to ride a bike

I have enjoyed every episode and really hope this show gets another season. I love everything Mayim does (Jeopardy hosting included!) and love the rest of the cast too.  Swoozie looks a lot more healthy this season and that is comforting too, 'cuz she was looking way too frail.

16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh man, I was not expecting to get a little teary over Hungry Hungry Hippos, but here we are. I figured that Kat and Randi having to go to a grief support group would connect with Kat's dad passing, but it was really well done. 

I thought this episode was really good, not much fourth wall breaking but instead focusing on character driven hijinks. I don't think that Max/Carter/Phil have had a whole lot of subplots, so that was nice to see. "We had extremely different childhoods." 

My only real complaint about this episode? A tragic lack of cats. You promised me cats show, I expect cats. 

Ha.  And strangely this is the first episode I actually noticed the cats!

• Love 5
On 1/22/2022 at 6:15 AM, ctlady said:

And why was Randi worried about putting their Salt n' Peppa act on TikTok when she and Kat were doing it in a well lit apartment at night in their jammies in front of two windows with the curtains not drawn?  I'm sure everyone who drove or walked by could look up and see them.

Because TikTok has a slightly wider audience than Kat’s windows. 

On 1/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, tennisgurl said:

I completely agree. I was prepared to hate the couch hijinks but ended up liking that it gave some insight into Kat’s personality. 

On 1/22/2022 at 9:15 AM, ctlady said:

I think it would've been more poignant to have the end scene being Randi bringing over Hungry Hungry Hippo to play with Kat rather than teaching Phil to ride a bike

Aww, that would have been very sweet. I was surprised by the grief counseling scene, but very moved by what Kat said. I'm glad that she had enough self-awareness to see how her grief was affecting her other relationships, and am interested to see if she continues to work on this in future episodes.

I really like the actor who plays Phil and am glad that he's been up for some physical comedy this season- first in stilettos, then on a bike. He's a great sport! 

• Love 6
On 1/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, tennisgurl said:

EXACTLY.  For me, this show isn't strong enough (writing and characters) to stand on its own without cats, and lots of them.  

Without cats, it may as well be "How I Met Your Father".  But worse.

On 1/21/2022 at 3:11 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Even Swoosie was used effectively 

I was going to mention that she finally had more than a walk-on role.  

And now, not suggesting that a cat could have played Phil's part, but because there literally was ONLY ONE CAT IN THE ENTIRE EP:

cat-bike.gif

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I forgot to leave my thoughts last week but there were two moments that made me laugh out loud but I can only remember one---when Phil fell off the bike and Carter told him to "shake it off" and Max ran to him and said "my angel" with Carter remarking just how different their childhoods were. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I’m wondering if that’s out of modesty because Mayim is a modem Orthodox Jew. 

My cousin wears shorts under all her skirts/dresses because she's more full-figured and it prevents chaffing. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

My cousin wears shorts under all her skirts/dresses because she's more full-figured and it prevents chaffing. 

Mayim might be bigger than many TV actresses but I don't think she's at the "chafing" level.  

I imagine it's due to modesty because of how active Kat is.  She's jumpy. She falls. She crawls around...etc. 

• Love 2