Type keyword(s) to search

S02.02: Call Me By Your Middle Name

• Start Topic

I've got to say that I wasn't expecting much given the disappointing season premiere last week, which continued the rather unsophisticated, formulaic comedy from the first season, albeit putting the veritable lipstick on the pig with those Blossom co-stars, but the comedy in this episode was elevated to the stuff sophisticated comedies are made of, and even the physical pranks were well-done.  The emotional scene between Randi and Carter was profoundly touching, organic to the main story, and a satisfying insight into how two people in one moment transform into a greater bond.  In fact, the entire cast turned in excellent performances, and save for the part about some magical fertility totem (?), the episode was a new high for the series.  I hope the show can continue delivering this brand of comedy, and quirks and quirkiness that are worthy of the entire team.  Mayim is a modern Mary Tyler Moore, and tonight's episode gives me hope that Call Me Kat will continue improving.

• Love 5

Oh I thought the season premiere was better than this episode because the "talk to cameras" were a little bit more obvious.  But about half way through, it started improving for me again.

They did flesh out the characters a bit more.  I like that Randi is short for Miranda and a nod to the original series.  I also think the "romantic rivals become friends" plot, which is a bit cliche, was still done quite well.  I thought Max was going to bristle at Oscar's kite suggestion but the joke surprised me by having Kat think it was for her and Max getting the "rain check" which I thought was adorable.

For me, this episode really hit home that Oscar is everything Max should have been.  This show would have had a much easier time of it with this current show runner.  In the original, Gary was hot.  Sure.  It's Tom Ellis.  But he wasn't Lucifer-hot at the time.  He was probably Oscar hot.  But more importantly, he was goofy.  The goofy that Oscar is when he likes that Kat comes on strong and crawls on the floor in heels.  

I also appreciated that they didn't go over the top at their miscommunication.  She didn't punish him because he didn't know how much of a big deal this was for her and he picked up on the fact that things had gone unsaid.  

• Love 7

I liked Kat's dress with the stars and planets and other space symbolism, and I enjoyed the white cat grooming in the background in the beginning of this episode.

This was also the first time I thought the show got a good balance between the cartoonish and the more grounded elements of the show. 

• Love 4

This season really does seem like its heading in the right direction. It had elements last season that I liked but it also felt really awkward, this season they seem to be working on fixing it. More depth to the supporting cast, less fourth wall breaking, a better combination of goofy jokes and more down to Earth jokes. I liked this episode, the scene where Randi opened up was really heartfelt, and I am really glad that Oscar was not only not angry about Max but thrilled that Kat actually choose him. I am also a big fan of the "romantic rivals become friends" trope, so that was a ton of fun to see. 

"This is why I didn't know where babies came from until I was nineteen."

Even in this improved version of the show, the cats are still the stars. Look at those fluffy paws! 

• Love 6

I liked that Kat has become a bit more grounded with more insight...as opposed to the UK counterpart that seemed like a caricature.

It would be refreshing if the unrequited love trope was laid to rest..and Kat/Max just stay friends.  They work better as friends.

• Love 9
On 1/14/2022 at 10:30 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

It would be refreshing if the unrequited love trope was laid to rest..and Kat/Max just stay friends.  They work better as friends.

Yes. Frankly, Oscar and Max had more chemistry with each other than Kat has with either of them. I thought they were going to go with the bromance route with Kat feeling left out.

I was annoyed with Phil putting on the CFPs Kat bought. Not every gay man likes to dress in women's clothes. I'm sorry they went there.

I usually find Randi abrasive, and she was here too, but she did show some tenderness here, which was nice.

Did Carter always have the Kid 'n Play hair? I'm guessing we will never see his child again.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Yes. Frankly, Oscar and Max had more chemistry with each other than Kat has with either of them.

That's the truth!

I thought they were going to go with the bromance route with Kat feeling left out.

There's still time, it's only the second show of the season.  I hope they go full on romance.

I was annoyed with Phil putting on the CFPs Kat bought.

I wasn't.  

Not every gay man likes to dress in women's clothes.

But Phil sure does!

• Love 5
On 1/14/2022 at 5:37 PM, ctlady said:

Anyone catch the Sheldon/BBT reference when Kat was holding one of the cats and said, “look at this soft kitty”?

Went right over my head since I've never watched Big Bang.  However, I did wonder if "Peter Backpack" was a reference to Jan Brady's fictional boyfriend, "George Glass".  If it wasn't, it was some unoriginal writing.  Like, theft-level unoriginal.

Just going on the record again for this season that Cheyenne Jackson (Max) has a more-than-passing resemblance to Joel McHale.

I like that they're breaking the 4th wall and doing the physical comedy.  Last season it seemed to call attention to the fact that they weren't doing either as well as the British version, but enough time has passed since I watched the original that the shortcomings don't seem as glaring now.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:59 PM, tennisgurl said:

Even in this improved version of the show, the cats are still the stars. Look at those fluffy paws! 

Yes, they are.  Fluffy paws:

Cute+Kitten+GIF+%25E2%2580%25A2+Adorable

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 5

I loved this episode. Admittedly, the reason I started watching the show in the first season and will finish it is because of Leslie Jordan, but I enjoy all the characters / actors. It's a fun, little show. I hope it accrues enough episodes to end up being syndicated.

• Love 2