Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Hawaii

James Cook "discovers" Hawaii and parties with the natives, Japanese-American Daniel Inouye fights heroically in World War II, and Eddie Aikau becomes one of the world’s greatest big wave surfers. Featuring Jason Mantzoukas.

Guest stars: Ken Marino as James Cook, Eugene Cordero as Kalaniʻōpuʻu, Steven Yeun as Daniel Inouye, James Hong as Daniel Inouye's father, and Jason Mantzoukas as Eddie Aikau

Narrators: Jonah Ray, Phil Hendrie, and Kurt Braunohler

Oh, this is going to be fun. The Captain gets to die in the surf.

Too bad they aren't going to talk about how the Rich White Guys and US Marines overthrew the Hawaiian monarchy.  This is always covered in the Hawaiian textbooks.

• Love 1

Has Jonah done an episode of DH before that I missed? I'm excited to see this episode for Jonah alone, really.

It looks like this is his first. I know that he was very excited about it. He's been posting about it for a few days. I was also a bit extra excited because of Jonah.

This was a good episode, but I personally found the first two segments (as discussed in the "future possibilities" thread) almost too grim for the format of the show; I mean, genocide and institutionalized racism... hard (for me) to relax into drunken good times. But they managed to steer away sufficiently, both times, so credit to them for that. The narrators and reenactors all did very well, and it's always a treat to see James Hong again.

• Love 1

James Hong played Daniel Inouye's dad in that segment and when I looked up his name in IMDB he had 386 acting credits. That guy has been in everything.

James Hong!  I shouted at my TV in glee when I saw his (all too brief) appearance!  I *love* that guy!  He's been in everything!  My month is now complete!

And the Captain Cook segment was hilarious.  "Mosh pit" ?!?

I'm thinking they should get more voice actors to narrate because Phil Hendrie was great. Although the segment wasn't actually funny, the story was so kick-ass and just a good piece of history.

Capt Cook was the funniest though because Marino is fantastic.

• Love 2

I'm thinking they should get more voice actors to narrate because Phil Hendrie was great. Although the segment wasn't actually funny, the story was so kick-ass and just a good piece of history.

Capt Cook was the funniest though because Marino is fantastic.

Even though Inouye's story had racism and he lost his arm, I thought the guy who played him (Steven Yeun?) did a great job and of course, it had James Hong. It was my favorite story of this episode.

Shameless sucking up here, but I just wanted to say to Ganesh that you're one of my favorite posters from the old board at Twop and here.

• Love 1

I loved the heavyset guy in the Captain Cook story that Jonah told - the head guy's right-hand man. He was hilarious.

Phil Hendrie's storytelling was the best, and the actors that performed it (particularly the guy who played Inouye) were fantastic. I'm still not clear about the arm part of the story, when Inouye came back to the base - was that Phil just being drunk and rambly? What part of that was true/relevant? Hilarious.

That towel with the face on it was equal parts hilarious and creepy-assed.

I thought the towel was a photo of Mark Gatiss, even after Kurt explained it was a photo of himself.

• Love 1

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Inouye#Military_service_.281941.E2.80.931947.29

he shouted for them to keep back out of fear his severed fist would involuntarily relax and drop the grenade. While the German inside the bunker reloaded his rifle, Inouye pried the live grenade from his useless right hand and transferred it to his left. As the German aimed his rifle to finish him off, Inouye tossed the grenade into the bunker and destroyed it. He stumbled to his feet and continued forward, silencing the last German resistance with a one-handed burst from his Thompson before being wounded in the leg and tumbling unconscious to the bottom of the ridge.

Most of it was true. The arm didn't come completely off, but he did have to grab the grenade from the hand. They had to amputate his arm at the hospital.

For all of that, he received a Distinguished Service Cross. It was upgraded to a Medal of Honor upon further review in the 90s.

• Love 3

Damn you Drunk History for making me misty at the end of the surfer story.  The narrator said something along the lines of "you have to live life, and sometimes when you do, you die, but then you get to live on...forever."  It was just so poignant and touching and unexpected.

The whole episode was fantastically hilarious, and I for one learned a heck of a lot!

• Love 1

Phil Hendrie's storytelling was the best, and the actors that performed it (particularly the guy who played Inouye) were fantastic. I'm still not clear about the arm part of the story, when Inouye came back to the base - was that Phil just being drunk and rambly? What part of that was true/relevant? Hilarious.

I was crying I was laughing so hard at that part.  "This guy and the fucking arm!"  Steven Yeun just nailed the whole thing, but that part in particular was fantastic.

The Eddie Aikau part was making me laugh, not because the story was funny, but because I kept hearing all the Eddie parts in Jason Manzoukis's voice, which made it very entertaining to me.

Phil Hendrie mad me laugh my ass off because of the way he made Daniel Inouye swear like a mofo. I was in tears. 

Also, the Captain Hook story was hilarious, too. "Here's this sack of ... *snicker* ... here's this sack of James Cook." hee!

• Love 2