Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: River

tessaray
  • Start Topic

29 minutes ago, joliefaire said:

Damn, this is a good show.  I've been sorta holding my breath as each episode begins, afraid it just accidentally started out good, but can't continue so, week after week.  Yet, it does!  Love it.

Yeah, you can see where Sheridan is spending his time and effort these days. It's NOT on Yellowstone. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I wonder about all the immigrants walking alongside the wagons.  I mean, are they just taking a break from riding in the wagons, or do they not even have wagons and are seriously going to walk all the way from Texas to Oregon?

• Love 3
On 12/27/2021 at 4:23 AM, joliefaire said:

I wonder about all the immigrants walking alongside the wagons.  I mean, are they just taking a break from riding in the wagons, or do they not even have wagons and are seriously going to walk all the way from Texas to Oregon?

A bit of both would be my guess. They seem very unprepared and what is worse is they seem to not even want to accept they are in a completely different country and culture. Wanting to travel with all the furniture we saw in ep 1! How much did they spend to ship all of that over. 

They are still involved in their own infighting/class/race kind of stuff too like with the Gypsy woman. Not the best time or place for that. I knew it would only be a matter of time before one of the immigrants got a gun, although he thought just by having one that it would protect him. 

Edited by LadyIrony
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
On 12/26/2021 at 5:20 PM, joliefaire said:

Damn, this is a good show.  I've been sorta holding my breath as each episode begins, afraid it just accidentally started out good, but can't continue so, week after week.  Yet, it does!  Love it.

Agree. I loved the first two episodes but feared it wouldn't hold, so glad the show is proving me wrong. I actually got shivers like multiple times watching this new episode, that does not happen often to me these days while watching tv. The storytelling/Elsa POV stories are so mesmerizing. I especially loved her 'thought speech' on/regarding her mother. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5
On 12/27/2021 at 3:51 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Yeah, you can see where Sheridan is spending his time and effort these days. It's NOT on Yellowstone. 

I always got the impression with Yellowstone that they didn't think it would last and as such the storylines/violence got more and more ridiculous as the seasons went by. I hope with this show they have learned to think long term as so far it is really good. Would be a shame to ruin it.

• Love 1

I wonder if there were any kids between Elsa and John.  17 to 5 is a big gap for that time.

I wish I had a Thomas in my life.

That was a pretty dick move for James to offer Shea venison and then eat it front of him without sharing. Are modern day Duttons assholes too?

I’ve never been a fan of narration in shows and hope it has some sort of larger point.

• Love 5
On 12/26/2021 at 10:23 AM, joliefaire said:

They're going to walk. That's what everyone did. The wagons were full of the stuff they were transporting and there's no room for people. Not to mention they are horrifically uncomfortable.  You put several months of supplies and the minimal personal belongings you're transporting (all that furniture will be dumped long before they get where they're going) and it's packed to the gills.  Most people think they used the massive Conestoga wagons, but those never could have made it over the mountains. They used the much smaller prairie schooners, which are less than the width of a compact car and not much longer. 

• Useful 10
  • Love 5

I’m really enjoying this program. I like that its so accessible that it doesn’t matter that I’ve never seen Yellowstone. Sam Elliot is such a presence that if I didn’t know it was supposed to be about a family on the other show I would think that this was Shae’s show. Elliot is so believable as a cowboy you’d almost think he was pulled through time to star in this show.

Hoping that eventually Shae and the Gypsy do get involved though it feels like they could be setting Thomas up with her as well but I prefer she be with Shae to melt his icy heart.

Speaking of hearts the ONLY weak link to the show is the “romance” between the Owen Wilson clone and the daughter. Feels tacked on an unnecessary but it did get a laugh out of me over “define handsy”.

The only thing I don’t get is two episodes now Shae seems to be “crying wolf”. First he says the townspeople will form a mob and come after them…then nothing.

Next he says the two exiles despite having just the clothes on their back with no money or weapons are going to return to a town ready to string them up and somehow form a revenge mob to come after the wagon train? Makes no sense.

Man I wish this show followed the COBRA KAI model and dumped all the episodes at once. It’s a long wait between episodes! It’s the old school model I grew up with but still I want my 1883!

• Love 3
On 12/28/2021 at 10:07 AM, mojoween said:

I wonder if there were any kids between Elsa and John.  17 to 5 is a big gap for that time.

I wish I had a Thomas in my life.

That was a pretty dick move for James to offer Shea venison and then eat it front of him without sharing. Are modern day Duttons assholes too?

I’ve never been a fan of narration in shows and hope it has some sort of larger point.

We get to see the modern day Dutton's in Yellowstone and yes, most of of them are assholes. Especially the daughter. 

I thought it was very stupid move. He is going to be relying on this man for support, I would want to ensure any disagreements are resolved in the friendliest manner possible! 

On 12/29/2021 at 4:43 AM, North of Eden said:

I’m really enjoying this program. I like that its so accessible that it doesn’t matter that I’ve never seen Yellowstone. Sam Elliot is such a presence that if I didn’t know it was supposed to be about a family on the other show I would think that this was Shae’s show. Elliot is so believable as a cowboy you’d almost think he was pulled through time to star in this show.

Hoping that eventually Shae and the Gypsy do get involved though it feels like they could be setting Thomas up with her as well but I prefer she be with Shae to melt his icy heart.

Speaking of hearts the ONLY weak link to the show is the “romance” between the Owen Wilson clone and the daughter. Feels tacked on an unnecessary but it did get a laugh out of me over “define handsy”.

The only thing I don’t get is two episodes now Shae seems to be “crying wolf”. First he says the townspeople will form a mob and come after them…then nothing.

Next he says the two exiles despite having just the clothes on their back with no money or weapons are going to return to a town ready to string them up and somehow form a revenge mob to come after the wagon train? Makes no sense.

Man I wish this show followed the COBRA KAI model and dumped all the episodes at once. It’s a long wait between episodes! It’s the old school model I grew up with but still I want my 1883!

I like when they dump a whole season in one shot too. I like to watch it when ready and usually in a day or two. It works better in terms of enjoyment and continuation. 

Elliot's character is more interesting than Dutton I agree. I forget about that it is supposed to be about the Dutton's. I would imagine at some point Elliot's character will leave or take a back seat. 

He does look like Owen Wilson! I also think he looks very shady, one step away from robbing a train lol. It does feel unnecessary and I don't buy the daughter as some kind of horse woman. It seems thrown in to appease the usual suspects. 

I think Shae had a point. They just walked in and killed a lot of men. That might be the way that town works but those men surely had kin folk who won't care that the men were with the Sherriff. 

The story about the exiles didn't make any sense they would struggle to even make it back to a town let alone form a gang. 

I think the idea is that Shae is supposed to be cooler and more calculated, trying to avoid trouble than start it etc. He calculates the risks. Whereas others just go in guns blazing. 

• Love 1

I think the key to this show is that it doesn't try to tell too much story.   The conflicts are simple.  Man vs. nature.  Man vs. man.    Against the backdrop of the vast frontier, it seems only fitting that the human stories be humble.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 12/26/2021 at 12:23 PM, joliefaire said:

Tbe wagons wouldn’t have shock absorbers. 

• Love 1

Does anyone know how long this journey was supposed to take, barring extraordinary events?  

Elsa love interest resembles Keith Urban a lot. Is there a country theme going on? Lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1