Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Novocaine, Bond and Bocce

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Uuugghh I hope I don’t have to give up on this show.  I liked it a lot better last season.  
one big problem for me is that I’ve never been a Linda lavin fan, a little of her goes a very long way with me.  I’d like to see a whole lot less of Lavin and a whole lot more of Kether Donahue who is barely in the show.  Ben Vereen and Jane Seymour are fine but I hope they don’t make vereen’s story too sad.  I’ve liked Jim Beaver in other things but his character here is obnoxious, he needs to have more original cranky things to say instead of these stereotypical lines.  
im glad Gideon and Jerry still are in the show.  I miss Eli and the sarcastic woman in the dialysis group.  
I also miss the story of Drew’s romance with the cancer patient, I need to go back and watch the episode where they got together this season, because I can’t remember quite how that ended.  
I’m okay with Gina being unsure how she feels about Drew and wanting some time without dating anyone.  Let them just be friends for a while in this new situation where Gina is financially independent.  
I like the new musical number intro, the first one was too gory and creepy.  But I do hope they keep some focus on organ transplants, since so many people experience this now.  

Edited by CattyK
  • Love 5

Ooof. I need the older residents to go from caricatures to real people soon. They started too broad and need to correct that stat..feels like they are trying. I’d love to lose Drew, but assuming we are stuck with him, please, show, stick to Gina wanting to be single.  I’d accept her going back to former footballer. 
I honestly don’t have much hope for the show…

• Love 8
6 hours ago, CattyK said:

I do hope they keep some focus on organ transplants, since so many people experience this now.  

We have Jerry back (yay!), so maybe we can ditch Middleditch. Focus on Jerry's quest for a kidney. That would work for me. Could be one of the Seniors passes on and they are a perfect match for Jerry?

• Love 7

Hearing Annaleigh Ashford sing the opening theme song makes me realize how much she sounds like Kristin Chenowith.

I can't get over the stellar supporting cast this season. It's a veritable roster of who's who on TV.

I really don't see how Drew fits into the story anymore, frankly. Maybe he becomes the resident therapist at the facility.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Hearing Annaleigh Ashford sing the opening theme song makes me realize how much she sounds like Kristin Chenowith.

I can't get over the stellar supporting cast this season. It's a veritable roster of who's who on TV.

I really don't see how Drew fits into the story anymore, frankly. Maybe he becomes the resident therapist at the facility.

Totally agree about the cast. Those in charge of story and writing, however, meh.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I used to have to look away during the intro because it grossed me out. 
But the new intro seems like it belongs on another show. 

I agree the new intro belongs on a different show, and it does seem it is being overhauled into a different show.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CattyK said:

I agree the new intro belongs on a different show, and it does seem it is being overhauled into a different show.  

Yes, but the new intro doesn’t seem to me to belong to the overhauled show either. 🤷‍♀️

I’m sad that the lead guy’s real-life ickiness is going to drag down the show, because I’ve been enjoying the assisted living setting with all the talented older actors delivering their punch lines with expert timing and nuance.
It seems like they can just write him out at this point now that he doesn’t need a kidney.  

• Love 4

I think the sand is running out on this show.  Has there been one elderly who are feisty show that has done well beyond The Golden Girls?  The original format of this show had the sad reality of people on a waiting list being there for a long time and possibly never getting a viable organ that is not rejected.  It was there in the background but didn't really bring the show down.  It's not an easy tightrope for a comedy to maneuver. Now we have aging, cancer, and dementia fighting it out with comedy.  Is there any reason why a comedy cannot be simply a comedy with no very special serious and sad aspects being thrown in?  Some other long running shows have been successful in bringing up serious topics,  but primarily because they keep the comedy a priority.  Ashford deserves better than this.

• Love 9
On 11/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, ichbin said:

I think the sand is running out on this show.  Has there been one elderly who are feisty show that has done well beyond The Golden Girls?

Grace and Frankie comes to mind.

I really like that the show was dark enough to show that horribly sad image of Ben Vereen's closet. The show has always been at its best when it deals with the grim realities of health problems.

• Love 4