Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Confirmations

• Start Topic

Hmmm, another episode is wasted on Mitch drama. Why are they wasting almost an entire episode just to confirm on his death?

I sincerely hope that the last 2 episodes will give us something good, something that justifies TMS renewal for season 2. 😓

I'm wondering if Mitch is really dead. He and Paola might have faked his post-crash death and are moving off to, I don't know, the Maldives. 

What would have been. good way to kill him, though, would have been for him to suffered injuries in the crash and then die from injuries in the hospital because he couldn't get care because of the COVID patients. 

This is the stuff that's really worrying me about the last two episodes. They are going to overplay COVID dangers -- even pre-vaccine, this is a disease that MOSTLY hospitalized and killed the very old. I don't think anyone on the show save Holland Taylor fits into that category. 

I enjoyed this episode as it gave a good look at the inner workings of an actual breaking story during a news show. (I have worked in media, albeit not TV, and it's fairly accurate from my experience.)

Alex Leavy continues to be the worst. I do like how she seems to finally be getting smacked in the face with her comeuppance now. What, people actually don't love me? While unprofessional in a sense of Alex is his boss, Chip had every right to unleash on Alex. Frankly, the entire UBA corporation does.

I do have sympathy for Bradley when it comes to her brother. It's hard to push loved ones away, regardless of how abusive they are mentally or physically - especially in their case of a shared upbringing by horrible parents. Laura suggested rehab, but was it not mentioned in a previous episode that Bradley already sent Hal to rehab (at her expense) and he obviously has relapsed.

Edited by RunningMarket
spelling
  • Love 2
On 11/6/2021 at 7:11 PM, juno said:

Every single episode this season. Every. Single. Episode. Screaming, yelling, fighting, blaming?

Is this all that this show is about now?

So two seasons from now they are still going to be blaming, yelling, accusing each other of the events in the first season. This shows wants to be defined entirely about the events of the first season and the showrunners refuse to move on and establish a new story. 

This show has an amazing cast but it has absolutely no direction.

This. Exactly. I feel like the only one who is not liking this season. At. All. I’m literally only still watching because Mr. Pinky still loves this show. 

On 11/6/2021 at 8:16 PM, Blakeston said:

I think it's one thing for someone in the US in March 2020 to think, "I'm not concerned about COVID because there aren't many cases here yet."

And it's another thing for someone to actually go to a COVID hotspot, spend the night with someone quarantining after exposure to a COVID victim, and then come back and hug children and think nothing of it.

At the very least, Alex should be letting people know her situation, and letting them decide.

At that specific moment in time, most people weren't aware of infectious nature of the disease. It was a moment of "innocence". I remember being mildly concerned at that time but assumed it was like the previous "scares" that had been contained. I live in California and I remember when the world shifted the week of March 17 when everything shut down and we were instructed to shelter in place and social distancing and flattening the curve became part of our vocabulary. 

I actually like the way that they are using the actual relevant news as background while they are highlighting the "fluff" that is fed by so-called news shows. Long segments on Groucho Marx and jingles about washing hands. It is obviously a commentary on how morning shows and news that is driven by "ratings" and likability is part of the problem in terms of having a massively uninformed public. 

• Love 1
On 11/14/2021 at 12:12 PM, amarante said:

At that specific moment in time, most people weren't aware of infectious nature of the disease. It was a moment of "innocence". I remember being mildly concerned at that time but assumed it was like the previous "scares" that had been contained. I live in California and I remember when the world shifted the week of March 17 when everything shut down and we were instructed to shelter in place and social distancing and flattening the curve became part of our vocabulary. 

I'm just not understanding this. At the beginning of March, it had been all over the news and the internet that COVID was spreading like wildfire through Asia and Europe. Unless people were straight-up COVID-deniers, why wouldn't they know it was infectious?

• Love 1

The show managed to surprise me with Mitch dying in a car accident, like everyone else I was thinking if anything it would be Covid. Also all the heavy foreshadowing of Alex hugging him, drinking from his glass, hugging his kid etc. I’m thinking that was all a red herring now?

Dear god I just can’t even stomach Chip anymore. Between the slovenly appearance and now vomiting all over Coreys desk (I CAN NOT with vomit), I just find him gross. 

Hugging the kids, after coming home from Italy, and a quarantined Mitch, is awful.  I feel so bad for his family.  
Chip - he does seem to be in love with her, but I hope they don’t go there.  I like his fiancée, and so far, he has been the opposite of Cory- not doing something to hurt her and her career, out of spite.  Not intentionally, anyway.  
After all of this, she has to start showing symptoms, at least. 

On 11/14/2021 at 6:57 PM, SoWindsor said:

I still don’t understand why they didn’t have Mitch die from Covid.

Well if the writers had wanted to kill off Mitch dramatically, death from COVID wouldn't happen so quick I don't think. Plus if he had symptoms it would be less likely that Alex would have spent time with him. Plus I presume he passed it on to Alex (haven't watched the next one yet) and the who asymptomatic carrier thing was I think something hardly anyone knew about in those early days of the pandemic. 

As for Alex I am not really sure what her freak out was about in the car with Chip. I mean yes his message was terrible. But at the same time she talked him into coming back to TMS and then bailed on him, no where to be found. Which meant that everyone at the network put the blame on him for her being gone. So to me it totally made sense that he was angry.

On 11/16/2021 at 12:46 AM, Blakeston said:
On 11/14/2021 at 12:12 PM, amarante said:

I'm just not understanding this. At the beginning of March, it had been all over the news and the internet that COVID was spreading like wildfire through Asia and Europe. Unless people were straight-up COVID-deniers, why wouldn't they know it was infectious?

It makes total sense to me. At the beginning of March 2020, Covid wasn’t taken seriously by most. It was a concern, the way war in some far off country is a concern. Shit got real here on Thursday, March 12, when they announced that schools would be shutting down a day early before March break, and kids wouldn’t go back for two weeks after (how naive we were then!). But officials still said people could go on their planned March break vacays, since they could all quarantine after for two weeks. It was fairly cavalier until mid March, nothing to do with being a Covid denier. 

As for Alex not caring that Mitch was in quarantine, he didn’t actually have Covid. He was possibly exposed to someone who had it. He had no symptoms, so it would be assumed he didn’t get it, so wouldn’t be a threat to Alex.

I’m just watching this series now, and quite enjoy it. The two leads are favourites of mine, and I agree that Steve Carell has done excellent work. Juliana Marguiles is only warm and friendly when she has her naturally curly hair. When it’s straightened and she’s playing a serious role, she comes across as an ice queen. Which works in some roles, but not always here. I get that she’s portraying a wiser, older maven of the news biz who knows what’s what and isn’t fazed by much. But warm, she ain’t. 

(edited)

i am  re watching, so  I am caught up , when i start season 3.   I really was not paying much attention the first time through because  I even questioned if i had watched the second season at all.   

But anyway, i thought they would have Mitch get covid and then  Alex would have to decide if she comes clean and tells everyone she was exposed.  I really thought they would go that way, when she drank from his water bottle.   Well that might come up later -- i have not finished the  re watch of the second season yet.  

Edited by mishap

Ok, so wait a minute, is this the message they are intending?

Men:

if you lure a woman into bed with no intention of treating her respectfully, you should lose your job

If you use a term from someone else’s culture, you should apologize to the whole country, and do some sort of community service to make sure you learn your lesson

If you hurt your family by being a drug addict, you will be disowned on the front walk of the rehab you are about to enter

Women

if you out a lesbian and drive her into years of therapy, just say, “Oops, little ol’ me just didn’t realize” and all is forgiven.

If you look down on other women who were lured into the same man’s bed you were lured into and shame them into quitting their job, just say, “Oops, little ol’ me has grown up now” and all is forgiven.