Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Mysteries and Martyrs

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

So I guess I was wrong and others here had it figured out. Hari is just a hologram and the coffin was a red hering, I guess?

I thought that would be too standard scifi and not interesting enough. I should know better by now, with these writers.

And I mean they are introducing time distortion stuff with Gaal knowing the future and the vault being sent back in time. So why not do a stasis coffin? Oh well.

That "dark star" looks an awfull lot like a black hole... Why not call it a black hole?

On the weapons platform: So the commander had outrun his usefullness when he opened the door, but not the warden? How would they know at that point that there would be forcefields to bypass and how would they know the commanders nanobots wouldn't be needed anymore. Seems an awfull lot like plot-armour.

Also 99% sure that boyfriend faked his suit malfunctioning and is going to circle back, to surpringly pop up next episode and/or floated to one of those old mining stations to try the coms. That death wasn't heroic enough and I don't get "subverting tropes" from this show.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

So Dawn is under constant survellience yet can go off and have sex in the greenhouse? Unless Azura is a Palace Spy or something. Or she infiltrated the Palace for some Empire-Disrupting reason.

How does Salvor know so much about the engineering of the Invictus if she she up on Terminus?

Bring some Gatorade and energy bars on your walk, Day!

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

So we got all of 5 minutes of Hari and Gaal. 

17 hours ago, Zonk said:

So I guess I was wrong and others here had it figured out. Hari is just a hologram and the coffin was a red hering, I guess?

I like your version better. Can you apply for writer for the second season? 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

This episode was awful. It felt like a mashup of Event Horizon and Sunshine. I like both of those movies, not this though.

We watched six episodes of "world building" and the writers decided to throw it out. 

Dawn, Empire, Dusk? They are lineal clones. The first of them is on display and there is incubation area for the next of them. Until this episode. Now there is a new, more secret, area with "backups" to the clones. 

Gaal, a gifted mathematician. Until this episode.  Apparently a she's now a psychic (because of timey wimey stuff?)

Hari Seldon, inventor of psychohistory were it is possible to predict the actions of large numbers of people. Until this episode. To Gaal, "I know how many laps you swim. You weren't supposed to be there."

This show was never Asimov's Foundation, but it doesn't even know what it want's to be.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

To start with something positive, this is one of only a few shows where I watch the opening credits every time because I enjoy the visuals and the Bear McCreary music so much. It always reminds me of how I used to feel at the start of every episode of BSG, waiting for the pounding drums to kick in. When I first watched these credits during the first episode of Foundation I was so hopeful it was my new BSG. 

It was not. 😢

• Like 1
  • Love 2

"I am going to use this ship and kill 100 billion people, and we all die in the process. But if you don't help me, I will kill you. BTW I have shown I will kill anyone on a whim anyway."

Isaac is spinning in his grave.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, edhopper said:

I am going to use this ship and kill 100 billion people, and we all die in the process. But if you don't help me, I will kill you. BTW I have shown I will kill anyone on a whim anyway."

Yes, her relentless and irrational evil is exhausting to watch at this point. All the story lines were so dark this week - I would have given anything for just a little humour or beauty. It's like the worst of all possible universes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/29/2021 at 6:49 PM, marinw said:

So Dawn is under constant survellience yet can go off and have sex in the greenhouse? Unless Azura is a Palace Spy or something. Or she infiltrated the Palace for some Empire-Disrupting reason.

How does Salvor know so much about the engineering of the Invictus if she she up on Terminus?

The guy that is the palace spy can turn invisible. So I don't think Dawn is as alone as he thinks he is.

Salvor said the tech was very similar to the gate protecting the city so she knew how to manipulate it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/29/2021 at 10:16 AM, Zonk said:

That "dark star" looks an awfull lot like a black hole... Why not call it a black hole?

After thinking about it, I think it's the same thing as with game of thrones. After Dumb and Dumber had bullied GRRM out of the writers room the dumbed down the show because they wanted it to be accessable to soccer moms and football players. Which soccer moms and football players found really insulting, as would I.

I think this might be the same thing. Where the writers think that the average viewer doesn't understand that a black hole, can be seen as a hole in spacetime, certainly, consindering how much it warps spacetime, but at it's core is just an increadibly dense ball of matter, that can of course have planets orbiting around it. The supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies have all the planets and stars in the galaxy orbiting around them, afterall.

Alternative theory: Helicon is orbiting around a dark star in the books and these writers have no idea what a dark star actually is.

On 10/30/2021 at 5:44 AM, xaxat said:

Dawn, Empire, Dusk? They are lineal clones. The first of them is on display and there is incubation area for the next of them. Until this episode. Now there is a new, more secret, area with "backups" to the clones. 

Gaal, a gifted mathematician. Until this episode.  Apparently a she's now a psychic (because of timey wimey stuff?)

Hari Seldon, inventor of psychohistory were it is possible to predict the actions of large numbers of people. Until this episode. To Gaal, "I know how many laps you swim. You weren't supposed to be there."

Yeah that's all pretty bad. Not that it would directly contradict things that we've been told so far, but it destroys a few themes.

To the last one I have to say though, I don't think Gaal swimming was predicted by psychohistory. She was just really boring and predictable. She swam every evening at the same time.

On 10/30/2021 at 4:50 PM, Melina22 said:

To start with something positive, this is one of only a few shows where I watch the opening credits every time because I enjoy the visuals and the Bear McCreary music so much. It always reminds me of how I used to feel at the start of every episode of BSG, waiting for the pounding drums to kick in. When I first watched these credits during the first episode of Foundation I was so hopeful it was my new BSG. 

Yeah, this one and What we do in the Shadows (for other reasons). Every time.

Bear McCreary is a once a generation talent and even though it might be blasphemous, I have to say, I like his version of All along the Watchtower better than the original.

On 10/31/2021 at 3:27 AM, pezgirl7 said:

Maybe I missed something, but how does Day walking the spiral, or whatever it was called, supposed to prove that he has a soul?

From what I gather: A lot of people die walking the spiral and you surviving shows that the triple godesses approve of you. Which would pretty much solve all of his problems.

On 10/31/2021 at 5:21 AM, AnimeMania said:

Salvor said the tech was very similar to the gate protecting the city so she knew how to manipulate it.

The force fields are similar to the fence on terminus. Why she knows so much about everything else about this old ship remains a mistery that can only be answered with "plot contrivance".

Edited by Zonk
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, Zonk said:

Yeah, this one and What we do in the Shadows (for other reasons). Every time.

Bear McCreary is a once a generation talent and even though it might be blasphemous, I have to say, I like his version of All along the Watchtower better than the original.

WWDITS... same. Love it. 

Not blasphemous! I still remember how haunting his version was, and how echoes of it would float in and out over several episodes. 

Probably my favourite Bear moment was the very first opening theme, and the way it faded away as the ships disappeared into the distance. Again, haunting. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2