Type keyword(s) to search

Houses With History - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I found the show by accident.   I was shocked that there was no working fireplace.  All that work for a fancy wall.  I thought that was the plan , a fireplace - at least one.   I didn't see a bathtub - how does she wash the little kids?  You could use a big old fashioned sink, but I don't see one in the kitchen.   I hated the kitchen, the before was better, but I hate these modern kitchens and no kitchen table.  Everything else was great, the stairs especially.  

I'm not a TV expert on historic homes, just someone who enjoys the vintage features of the Craftsman and Tudor houses in Seattle. And those sure looked like clinker bricks on that fireplace wall.  
I wouldn't get all snooty about them and say they're not worth saving, just because they weren't original to that house. They are authentic to their period, not easy to find, and have value.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinker_brick

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I so enjoyed this show the first season. They themselves purchased old dilapidated historic homes and restored them, giving us a history lesson about the house and the town along the way. When the project was finished they held an open house for the neighbors and townspeople.

This season seems to be more of renovating older homes that people have purchased. It seems like the team does not have as much a stake in the projects as before. It's a having to listen to what the homeowners want as opposed to being historically correct in the renovations. The home from this week was built in 1830, hardly "before America was America" as advertised in the beginning of the show.

I would like to see more houses like last season, far more interesting. I hope they haven't run out of houses to renovate!

• Like 7

This show is jumping the shark - deco farmhouse?   The house looks like a new build with trendy black windows.   I do like the outside, the fish scale siding, etc. and the back entrance.  The 2 bathrooms are too "fancy" and the kitchen is not cute or adorable, but filled with as many cabinets as possible.  Where's the cast iron sink and large kitchen table? 

• Like 3
On 6/4/2023 at 6:35 PM, barshi50 said:

I so enjoyed this show the first season. They themselves purchased old dilapidated historic homes and restored them, giving us a history lesson about the house and the town along the way. When the project was finished they held an open house for the neighbors and townspeople.

This season seems to be more of renovating older homes that people have purchased. It seems like the team does not have as much a stake in the projects as before. It's a having to listen to what the homeowners want as opposed to being historically correct in the renovations. The home from this week was built in 1830, hardly "before America was America" as advertised in the beginning of the show.

I would like to see more houses like last season, far more interesting. I hope they haven't run out of houses to renovate!

I agree with you completely. I wonder if the shows like this one and Bargain Block have driven up the prices of the dilapidated houses to the point where it is starting to become no longer feasible to purchase and restore them. I hope not.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I agree with you completely. I wonder if the shows like this one and Bargain Block have driven up the prices of the dilapidated houses to the point where it is starting to become no longer feasible to purchase and restore them. I hope not.

Ditto for me, however I still enjoy the history lessons which is why I started watching.  Hopefully they keep that going.

• Like 4

I just saw this on Instagram. Jenny said that she will keep us posted if the shows are on HGTV. First they started season 2 on HGTV with old shows from season 1. Then we get season 2 and they show 2 episodes and now off the schedule. I will have to miss this show because I am not paying for more streaming channels in addition to what I pay for now with Xfinity and a couple of streaming channels. I have never known of another show to start on one channel and then go to streaming after 2 episodes. 

• Like 1
On 6/13/2023 at 8:46 PM, 65mickey said:

HGTV schedule  is not showing an episode for tomorrow or next Wed. Seems like they are doing everything to kill this show. 

Do you mean Magnolia Network?  That's where I've been watching it lately.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Doublemint said:

Do you mean Magnolia Network?  That's where I've been watching it lately.

Are you watching Houses with History? Because I just checked Magnolia network and Houses with History is not listed.

It is streaming on Discovery Plus and HBO MAX.

Edited by 65mickey

It's on Disc+ which is where I watch it.  The farmhouse was beautiful, but I could watch a renovation with a $175K budget on a billion other home renovation shows.  I could if I liked that sort of thing, which I don't.  I'm hoping they bought that house in the woods and will be working on that house in a future episode.  

I did, however, enjoy the story about the 2 girls scaring the British away from the beach in Scituate.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Are you watching Houses with History? Because I just checked Magnolia network and Houses with History is not listed.

Just now, Doublemint said:
23 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Sorry - my mistake Restored is on Magnolia and is also moved around and now gone.  Houses with History is HGTV and not on now.  I don't have any streaming, Discovery Plus, etc. etc.

I have HBO but I haven't opened the Max app yet. Might be worth it to see if they've gone back to the spirit of season 1. I saw one of the houses they did this season and have to admit that I loved the kitchen. Tiny pieces of historical shoutouts, but mostly, just functional and pretty. If my kitchen were larger and had a window, I'd consider changing the bottom white cabinets to dark blue.

• Like 1
(edited)

HGTV is showing  "New" today, Saturday, Central Time 10 to 11 a.m., 11 a.m. to Noon, Noon to 1 p.m.      10 a.m. is "The One with the Salt Shaker", 11 a.m. is "The One with the Hidden Guns", and Noon is "The One with Peter Cottontail". 

(Thanks to another poster, these are new episodes). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
7 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

HGTV is showing what they call "New" today, Saturday, Central Time 10 to 11 a.m., 11 a.m. to Noon, Noon to 1 p.m.   However all three episode titles start with "The One", so I'm guessing recut old episodes.   10 a.m. is "The One with the Salt Shaker", 11 a.m. is "The One with the Hidden Guns", and Noon is "The One with Peter Cottontail". 

Thank you.  My cable listing has the 10 a.m. show listed as S2E8, the 11 a.m. one as S2E5, and the noon one as just S2.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure they are new. You can see all of them I believe on HGTV ON Demand. I am watching Peter Cottontail now On Demand. This show is a new one. I have no idea why HGTV has screwed up this show's schedule so bad.  First it was on Saturday night, then Wednesday night, then only streaming on HBO max and Discovery + and now back on HGTV on demand. And the episodes are all out of order. I have a feeling this may be the last season for this show.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1

I looked at the listing of Season 2 on Max, and it differs from what HGTV cable listing had.  According to Max it's

Episode 1  The One with Mark Twain

Episode 2  The One with the Bullet Hole (an 1830s Cape that they actually bought)  I don't think I've seen this one before.

Episode 3  The One with all the Shipwrecks

Episode 4  The One with Silent Movies

Episode 5  The One with the Telephone Room

Episode 6  The One with the Salt Shaker

Episode 7  The One with the Hidden Guns

Episode 8  The One with Peter Cottontail

So the episodes they showed today were 6-8.  I know I've seen 1, 3, 4, and 5 previously.

On 6/24/2023 at 11:10 AM, 65mickey said:

I'm pretty sure they are new. You can see all of them I believe on HGTV ON Demand. I am watching Peter Cottontail now On Demand. This show is a new one. I have no idea why HGTV has screwed up this show's schedule so bad.  First it was on Saturday night, then Wednesday night, then only streaming on HBO max and Discovery + and now back on HGTV on demand. And the episodes are all out of order. I have a feeling this may be the last season for this show.

I am worried that this is the case, last of the series.  I hope not, I really like them and the houses.  Sometimes a bit less authentic than I was hoping.  The Carriage House one should have looked more like a Carriage house on the outside, instead of losing all of it's character.  But, that could be totally because of the owner.    

• Like 4

The one with the hidden guns: so they destroyed the carriage house and made it into a dwelling, but they put a two car garage in between the main house and the mothers house. Why not just keep the carriage house, and fix it up to its former splendor, and have the mother live in the middle attachment?. this one made me sick . Oh, and also that light fixture that works by remote control is the most ridiculous thing I have seen so far. I guess they just don’t care anymore. I will be shocked if the show gets a third season.

• Like 1
On 6/26/2023 at 8:27 PM, Pine said:

I am worried that this is the case, last of the series.  I hope not, I really like them and the houses.  Sometimes a bit less authentic than I was hoping.  The Carriage House one should have looked more like a Carriage house on the outside, instead of losing all of it's character.  But, that could be totally because of the owner.    

Yeah, they made a big deal about it being a carriage  house and then they completely destroyed anything that said carriage house and put that ridiculous remote control light in the ceiling. What was up there anyway I don’t think they even showed it. Is it just going to be a load of heat coming down every time she opens that trap door?. 🙄🤔 there was also some thing about the owner that I did not like

• Like 2
On 6/29/2023 at 3:43 PM, chediavolo said:

The one with the hidden guns: so they destroyed the carriage house and made it into a dwelling, but they put a two car garage in between the main house and the mothers house. Why not just keep the carriage house, and fix it up to its former splendor, and have the mother live in the middle attachment?.

That's a good idea, but the mom said she wanted to live in the carriage house, so I'm guessing they didn't offer an alternative plan to her.  I'm not sure that they could've made the carriage house into a 2-car garage though.  It might not have been wide enough.  The outside lacked the charm of a former carriage house.  The inside was pretty though.  The drop-down light was odd.   I didn't like the ladder for getting to the higher cabinets.  It would be in my way.  I'd just leave those empty and not worry with them!  

The story about the guns was interesting.  I'm glad that they were able to find out what the story was on them (or most probable one).  The producer almost had an anxiety attack when they uncovered them!  He motioned for the camera person to stop filming.  I'm not sure what the big deal was.  They did the right thing by stepping away and getting a firearms expert to check them, but no need to panic!  

• Like 2

In December Jenny posted on the Houses  with History Instagram that more shows were coming in 2024. But I think they will  be on streaming  channels not HGTV. 

• Like 2