Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: One of Us Is Dead

• Start Topic

The actor playing Jake did a great job of walking the line between presenting a sincere facade before revealing the monster he really was.

That said, the resolution was disappointing and I'll go into detail over in the book vs show thread.

• Love 2

What the hell did I just watch?

I really need my friend (who hasn't read the book) to get around to watching this series so I can know if it is a satisfying conclusion from someone who is totally clueless about the book. Cause what I just watched had me yelling at the screen with the deviation. I can't believe they changed the ending of the book so much - all just to help with a second season.

Look the episode was tense and well paced but I am definitely going to need to rant in the book thread about how this episode totally ruined the story of the book.

11 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I didn't read the book, but I legitimately don't even understand what really happened with Simon and then why the Murder Club covered up Jake's death. Oh well! I liked the main characters, at least.

It's different from the book. But here's what I think happened: Jake wanted to get revenge on Addy, so he threatened Simon into having an allergic reaction so that one of the Murder Club would rush to the nurse's office and get the epipens. But Jake stole the epipens from the nurse's office (he signed Addy's name on the sign-in sheet in the nurse's office). So no one could save Simon. I won't spoil the book in case anyone wants to read it. I'll just say it's different.

I'm also not sure why they covered up Jake's death. Like they had the Xbox, just hand it over, all the messages were there. Maybe they just didn't want more attention or police investigations?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Minneapple said:

I'm also not sure why they covered up Jake's death. Like they had the Xbox, just hand it over, all the messages were there. Maybe they just didn't want more attention or police investigations?

Given how eager everyone was to pin the murder on Nate I think they assumed everyone would think he killed Jake out of revenge for framing him and go after him for that crime instead. 

It's different from the book. But here's what I think happened: Jake wanted to get revenge on Addy, so he threatened Simon into having an allergic reaction so that one of the Murder Club would rush to the nurse's office and get the epipens. But Jake stole the epipens from the nurse's office (he signed Addy's name on the sign-in sheet in the nurse's office). So no one could save Simon. I won't spoil the book in case anyone wants to read it. I'll just say it's different.

So he wanted to set Addy up for murder but then after a few week decided he wanted her back? And why did he want Simon dead, beyond just fragile masculinity?

Just hard to buy as anything but trying to leave something for another season. They literally had witnesses and hard evidence. So weird.

• Love 1

Liked everything right up until they changed the ending seemingly just to get another season out of this. I liked most of the actors, I liked the show, but I'd rather have one well-done faithful adaptation than a forced ongoing series. 

• Love 2

There is a second book that I downloaded from the library, last night. I don't know why they needed to change anything, to set it up for a sequel, since they have a second book to work from.

Just finished this season. I  did enjoy the twists, turns and the plot unfold.

I also don't get why they didn't just call the cops the second they saw a gun back at the party. 

I need to go read the book, because I think I'll like that even better.

• Love 1

So I just finished this last night. I guessed in the first episode that it was either Simon or the teacher. By the 6th episode I knew Jake had to be involved.

So it was all fairly easy to guess, but I still don't understand Jake's motive for killing Simon. I get his motive for wanting to frame Addy (it's sick and twisted, but it made sense). Why would Jake want Simon to actually die? The show did not do a good job of explaining this part to me.

I know the book ends differently. I didn't read it, but I had to google the ending once I saw this. 

Other comments: Nate and Bronwyn not ending up together in the end was such contrived drama for next season because there was clearly more going on between them besides the Bayview Four Murder Club drama. 

• Love 2

months later, i have just watched all this (read the book 2-3 years ago but have no memory of it)

Jake wanted to kill Simon at the point Simon threatended him (I have recorded the chat) and thats when he agreed to be there and also UP THE ANTI (no epi-pen in bag).

over all i enjoyed.

• Useful 1

I have always thought that Jake looked like the love child of David Boreanaz and ... well, David Boreanaz. Not just the hair and his facial features, but his build, posture and body language. Somebody I watched the show with actually refused to believe it wasn't him, and insisted it had to be a show he did when he was younger.

And this was shades of Angelus.

Excellent!