Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: The Need For Speed

• Start Topic

New credits! Very old timey and cool.

You accidentally killing Hoover is honestly a good thing Nate. Remember how awful he was and move forward. 

Stoned Zari is hilarious.

Of course Gary’s Polyjuice Potion doesn’t work if you see the person drink it. Always start with the conditions.

Nate solved a crime as Hoover where the culprit was a dog.

Astra is Gideon’s mom now? Sure.

You bring yourself Spoons and that’s enough.

Al Capone’s men were kind of fun. 

A second Hoover!? That’s really a terminator?

Sara’s hat stayed on while she flew through the air to kill Hoovernator.

• Love 3

Another fun episode. Serious Nate, stone Zari, Ava and Sara on their honeymoon, Ava being Ava trying to figure things out . . . and a Terminator-type robot resembling J. Edgar Hoover. What's not to love?

I know Nate gets a lot of grief, but he was good this week. Ir's a lot harder to screw with history without the tech to make it right. And trying to fill Hoover's shoes looked painful. Stupid question about the racism . .  I get Behrad, but why would Gary be subject to prejudice? BTW, Gary isn't that annoying in the first few episodes this season . . . and that includes him eating a guy.

Jon Constantine: sweet pocket dimension and a never-empty fridge. Bonus: Zari using the bottles to figure out who was responsible for blowing up the Waverider. I also found Ava to be sweet helping out.

Astra & Spooner are still solid as a duo . . . and we only got one episode of Real Girl Gideon acting clueless. Looks like Spooner's communication abilities extends to one-tome A.I.'s. Convenient!

Where can I see the teaser for next week's episode? I haven't been using overlapping while recording on the DVR, so there's a few seconds I miss from when Legends ends and Batwoman begins.

8 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'm assuming anti-semitism since Adam is Jewish and Gary's human form looks like him.

That was my first guess . . . though when I see Gary, I don't see ethnicity. I just see how fucking annoying he can be. And yet, he hasn't bugged me that much this season. Had a small laugh seeing him lament about possibly having devoured a robot.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'm assuming anti-semitism since Adam is Jewish and Gary's human form looks like him.

And there's if they found out he's bisexual.

Behrad calling Hoover a douche, was somewhat nicer than what a lot of people would call him.  Although, Hoover being an uncaring murdering robot would explain so much.

11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Where can I see the teaser for next week's episode? I haven't been using overlapping while recording on the DVR, so there's a few seconds I miss from when Legends ends and Batwoman begins.

In the Spoilers thread here.

21 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

You accidentally killing Hoover is honestly a good thing Nate.

I'm not too sure about this. Hoover was a total douche, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be replaced by someone worse. There are always more douches and scum floats to the top.

Of course, Nate's desire to preserve history is partially self serving. He wouldn't be much of a historian if everything he knew was wrong.

Why did Ava keep coming down stairs?

The reason for this season ...

Spoiler

Speculation, really.
If the Waverider blew the Waverider up, there must be something very important that they wouldn't accomplish if they weren't trapped. I'm betting that the 'condensation' of a human Gideon is the major reason.

I am really enjoying this season, it feels very back to basics as compared to the high concepts and wacky hijinks of the previous few seasons. The period piece feels are fun, they seem to be finding more of a balance between serious and silly with the more grounded tone, and the (slightly) smaller cast is giving more of the characters time to shine. That more low key vibe might change with the appearance of our new big bad, robots, but I think robots could be a fun new threat, as long as the robots have absolutely nothing to do with Bishop. I wonder if now human Gideon somehow ties into the robots?

I am really happy to see Nate get a good story this week after he spent a lot of last season in the background. Hoover was a terrible person but I can see Nate still feeling guilty about his death, even if it was an accident, especially as a historian. The Legends are supposed to maintain the timeline, even the crappy parts, so while a world without Hoover night be a better world, it would certainly be different and we have already learned that messing with the timeline usually ends poorly, so Nate beating himself up about it feels understandable. It even led to a nice Sara and Nate scene, which I thought was really good. Plus, he was really working that period suit!

Zari and Ava were a fun combination, poor Zari is really struggling with this breakup. I am surprised that Ava and Sara have been a bit on the backburner so far this season, but I am alright with it, especially Ava. For me, she works better in small doses then when the show is trying to make her the star, especially with a whole army of Ava's. 

They are really leaning into the time period, even with a cool old timey opening credit sequence, and I love it.

• Love 2

Love the old timey credits!

A good episode for Nate and Nick Zano.  While there is a mile long list of why Hoover was horrible, I can still see why Nate felt guilt over accidentally killing him and why the historian was still concerned over how much it could change things, but Hoover did play a big part during that time period (cue the for better or worse debates) and who knows what might have happened if things had changed.  Possibly for the better in some ways, but it is easy to see how it could have gotten worst in other ones (it's not like Hoover was alone in his mindset at that time, sadly.)  I also liked how Gary and especially Behrad were using during all of the "G-man" scenes.

Guess I'm not surprised that Zari is still a little down after everything that happened, but at least it led to her looking into who blew up their ship in the first place.  And a likely answer is... Terminators?!  A robot threat could be intriguing.  Liked how they used Ava here as well.

Aww, Astra is kind of Gideon's mom, now?  I did find it funny that after being just a voice for so long, Amy Louise Pemberton had to basically be mute for the majority of this episode.  But I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Astra/Spooner/Gideon trio.

I wonder how much longer it will take for them to get to Dr. Gwyn Davies?

• Love 2
On 10/23/2021 at 2:57 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I did find it funny that after being just a voice for so long, Amy Louise Pemberton had to basically be mute for the majority of this episode.

The irony of this didn't even click for me. It is nice to see her get some bonding time with the newest Legends. 

I was all excited because I thought this was the hundredth episode only to realize 10 minutes in "Hey, these are normal Legends shenanigans, not 100th episode special shenanigans!" and recheck the date. I liked see Ava and Zari working together on the "Who blew up the Waverider?" mystery. I especially liked them ruling out Damien Darhk because "he loves us!" and that Lex Luthor was on the suspect list. Also, "why the hell not?" as a category for suspects.

I'm enjoying the 1920s.

I've been enjoying this season thus far. I don't know whether it's because this season's arc seems to be more my style, or if maybe John's absence has allowed the show to return back to its seasons 2/3 roots (it being more silly and less dark), but these two episodes have been truly enjoyable for the first time for me since season 3. I know it has the potential to go south very quickly, BUT I am looking forward to more this season with the set up than I have in a few seasons.

Having the Legends trapped in the 1920s is actually a fun arc to set up. They can't rely on their time travel gadgets to get out of situations. For the VERY first time, they actually have to rely on themselves to get out of their messes, and that's a fun problem for them to solve. As a result, Nate got to be useful for the first time in a long time with his historical knowledge, something they've slipped on in recent seasons. Nate was underutilized last season, to the point where it felt like he was lost and the show didn't know what to do with him.

Here, they REALLY gave Nate some powerful stuff to work with. His guilt over killing Hoover, having to BE Hoover, and having to try to clean up the accidental mess he created was an excellent plot for him. He didn't get saddled with romance stuff, he didn't get saddled as a sidekick, he really got to use his strengths and it worked.

Zari using her heartbreak over John to try to solve the case of the Exploding Waverider was fun. It was also fun to see Ava join in. Those two worked very well together and it was a fun side adventure.

Spooner and Astra's friendship is so amazing to watch. I love them trying to care for a mute Gideon, as well. 

Honestly, this season, if it continues to go up, may be in my top three favourite seasons of the series, right behind seasons 2 and 3. 

(edited)

I did not expect this season to already be miles better than the previous one. Nate gets a serious storyline for a change (but with funny moments, of course, because this is LoT), Zari is stoned and has a revelation, human Gideon, Astra and Spooner bonding, Ava wearing nothing but a shirt in several scenes and bonding with Zari, everyone being in the Bullet Blondes fanclub and last but not least Sara finishing the job with a badass move. Even Gary is tolerable in small doses. I hope this good run continues. I suspect they will find the ship in the next episode since it's the 100th one and is bound to be even crazier than usual but the Legends are welcome to stay in the 1920s as far as I am concerned - the entire team is rocking those 1920s outfits, especially the hats.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe