Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: The One Next to Me

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Halstead's past resurfaces when a former Army colleague is implicated in a deadly blast. as the FBI launches an investigation into Roy's disappearance, Upton feels the pressure of the secret she and Voight are sharing.

Airdate: 10/06/2021

I am tired of them highlighting Haley all the time, now we got sit here watch her have panic attacks? It would be one thing if she was going to tell the truth but I don't see that happening anytime soon maybe not ever the way this show operates. I would prefer they remember that Atwater exist and let us see what's going on in his life. All the white characters continue to be highlighted while Kev continues to seem like the token. 

• Love 3

I guess I’m sick because I laughed when the bank robber got plowed down by the truck, then rewound it to watch again, then laughed again. 🤣

Despite Hailey, I enjoyed the episode.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

So, surprise surprise the liar, doubled down and lied again or is it tripled down, I've lost count.... Felony Barbie really does have a disease doesn't she. Still with that shit eating grin on her face, she looks soooo cut up about her & Voight's big secret....moving in with her victim   boyfriend. 

lies liar GIF by The Maury Show

Jay, maybe you should take some relationship advice from someone, anyone.... because he's not known for making wise choices either, all his girlfriends have been varying degrees of nutty, this one takes the cake though. 

Good to see Burgess back to normal this week, this show couldn't carry a tune in a bucket let alone have some consistency of a story line. 

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 1

Am I supposed to feel Sympathy for Upton in next week's preview? Cause I SURE DONT! I actually Chuckled. Bitch you wanted to be Voight Jr. Now you are and you reap what you sow! Where was this guilt when you had Someone killed? Also her being so Miserable while Voight looked Cool as a Cucumber was telling. Plus Jay who SHE LOVES SO MUCH gave her the opportunity to Spill and she refused! I'm so sick of Upton! Jay should dump her ass when he finds out. And the show needs to give more airtime to Atwater, Burgess Ruzek and Trudy 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, mommalib said:

I am tired of them highlighting Haley all the time, now we got sit here watch her have panic attacks? It would be one thing if she was going to tell the truth but I don't see that happening anytime soon maybe not ever the way this show operates. I would prefer they remember that Atwater exist and let us see what's going on in his life. All the white characters continue to be highlighted while Kev continues to seem like the token. 

Kevin doesn't seem like the token...he is the token.

After next weeks whine fest apparently Episode 5 is when they actually remember Atwater is a hot blooded male. About bloody time too.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Guildford said:

Kevin doesn't seem like the token...he is the token.

After next weeks whine fest apparently Episode 5 is when they actually remember Atwater is a hot blooded male. About bloody time too.

Do we know who the L.I will be yet? 

I don't hate Hailey as much as the rest.. I just always felt like the show played it safe pairing her.. Or better yet, not pairing her with Kevin... I don't mean romantically... Tho who knows what the future holds.. I just mean as a partner.. They have such differing views in some ways.. And in others they're similar.. Might a helped both characters breakaway from the molds this show seems intent on forcing them into

• Love 3

Jay: It is insane what we tell ourselves. And it was straight up murder. It was murder and lies. You got anything you want to share?

Hailey: I’m an open book, you know that.

This woman is full of 💩💩💩🙄

The fact that Hailey feels the need to double-down her lie, that says something about her true character.

Ohh Jay Ricochet Halstead, you’ll be heart broken all over again soon!

Since the Intelligence team already knew about Upstead (not the engagement), why are they still working together as partners? 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Jay: It is insane what we tell ourselves. And it was straight up murder. It was murder and lies. You got anything you want to share?

Hailey: I’m an open book, you know that.

This woman is full of 💩💩💩🙄

The fact that Hailey feels the need to double-down her lie, that says something about her true character.

Ohh Jay Ricochet Halstead, you’ll be heart broken all over again soon!

Since the Intelligence team already knew about Upstead (not the engagement), why are they still working together as partners? 

He fucked his partner before that and nothing happened so.... they weren't surprised Jay and Her were together cause he has to fuck his partner and did it before 

So I'm new to this show - I think I've watched just the last 4 or 5 episodes (end of last season, start of this season).  I thought the purpose of the thread for each episode was to discuss the episode itself.  It seems like in this forum all that happens is people bash Hailey, aka "Felony Barbie"?  She's obviously guilt-stricken, but I'm PRETTY SURE she wasn't the only one committing a felony.

I for one thought this was a pretty well-rounded episode.

• Love 1

She gets worse and worse every episode. It’s annoying how much they made it about her. Jay have her an opportunity to tell the truth and she straight up lied to him. I know some people weren’t fond of Erin and felt she had many issues, but I loved her character and with Jay. I feel like Upton is all over the place  . It’s like she can’t figure out what or who she wants to be. And ugh I can’t stand some of her facial expressions . I hope Jay dumps her. But know Eid’s obsession with her , he will probably make Jay forgive her and act like it was all Voight’s fault and Upton was little miss innocent . As for Atwater, I give his love interest one or two episodes. Eid can’t take away time from his precious Upton 

Edited by Jaelyn96
  • Love 3

I think also, for many people here they have been with this show a long time and have seen it devolve into this mess it currently is.

That is pretty much at the feet of the current showrunner & sadly his obsession with his fave character is beyond annoying now. This also isn't the first time Upton has been a dirty cop, she has form. 

Trust me, most people think Voight is beyond trash, some love him knowing he is trash, some hate him because he is trash but we all know he is trash. They are both guilty & complicit & should both be in jail.

But we know this isn't going to happen....sadly.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, TAG42481 said:

So I'm new to this show - I think I've watched just the last 4 or 5 episodes (end of last season, start of this season).  I thought the purpose of the thread for each episode was to discuss the episode itself.  It seems like in this forum all that happens is people bash Hailey, aka "Felony Barbie"?  She's obviously guilt-stricken, but I'm PRETTY SURE she wasn't the only one committing a felony.

She gets bashed cause she has " my shit don't stink I'm Untouchable" smirk on her face at least half to most of the time. She literally calls Voight a Role model and wants to be like him to which Voight said she does not need to be like him etc. Now she has a big taste of being like Voight and she plays Victim. Others  have good reasons why not to like her as well LOL. Voight is definitely at fault as well but he doesn't act all the innocent Victim. Plus for me the actress is not that good and Does not deserve 3rd billing after Voight and Halstead just cause shes the current partner that Jay is fucking. Kim Adam Kevin and Trudy have all been there longer but no the Showrunner's Pet Character must have higher billing in the Credits 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

He fucked his partner before that and nothing happened so.... they weren't surprised Jay and Her were together cause he has to fuck his partner and did it before 

Jay was briefly involved with Gabby Dawson too, right?

2 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

She gets bashed cause she has " my shit don't stink I'm Untouchable" smirk on her face at least half to most of the time. She literally calls Voight a Role model and wants to be like him to which Voight said she does not need to be like him etc. Now she has a big taste of being like Voight and she plays Victim. Others  have good reasons why not to like her as well LOL. Voight is definitely at fault as well but he doesn't act all the innocent Victim. Plus for me the actress is not that good and Does not deserve 3rd billing after Voight and Halstead just cause shes the current partner that Jay is fucking. Kim Adam Kevin and Trudy have all been there longer but no the Showrunner's Pet Character must have higher billing in the Credits 

Trudy deserves more screen times and Kevin deserves an episode that doesn’t involve racism.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, TAG42481 said:

It seems like in this forum all that happens is people bash Hailey, aka "Felony Barbie"?  She's obviously guilt-stricken, but I'm PRETTY SURE she wasn't the only one committing a felony.

I'll go one further and say this was an excellent episode overall.

I really don't hate the fictional character of Hailey Upton personally. I just think the wrong actor was chosen for the role, and Spiradakos takes me out of the show with every line and every closeup. IMHO she doesn't have the acting chops to pull this off, and as for her facial expressions, you know how creepy the giant plastic Burger King head is in those ads? I think he was her acting coach.

I like morally gray dramatic characters in the right context, and being a LittleVoightWannabe isn't the worst storyline the show could have come up with, but sadly T.S. just can't play the part convincingly to me. The character of Hailey Upton is tough on the outside but vulnerable underneath, and here she's in way over hear head. A good actor would be able to convince the audience of this and sell the story. 

And her Leading Lady duties with her male co-star lack any form of romantic sizzle whatsoever. There's no (visible-to-the-audience) love, lust, passion, caring, or...much of anything between them. Compare Upton's dramatic scenes with Burgess' scenes and you tell me which actor plays their respective role more convincingly. Maybe in real life she's the kindest, sweetest person in the world, calls her mother, and adopts orphaned puppies, but she just isn't the right actor for this part and her scenes just grate on me to the point I'm out of the story when she's onscreen.

• Love 5
On 10/10/2021 at 8:41 AM, icemiser69 said:

Unfortunately popularity and attractiveness are all that seems to matter.

I won't debate popularity, but from the standpoint of this healthy hetero guy, I don't find T.S. particularly attractive, which I think is part of what her purpose is on the show. Is it important? No, absolutely not, but that's obviously what the showrunners want—a tough, hawt, experienced street cop that has chemistry with the leading male character. Tough? Yeah, maybe, and I'm fine with that. Hawt? No. PermaSmirk™ put an end to that. Experienced? I suppose. But a big ol' "F" on her chemistry test.

As I said, I don't care whether a detective on a procedural is smokin' hot or plain-Jane. Sure, eye candy is nice, and if she pairs well with a fellow cast member all the better. But at the heart of things viewers watch PD for, I won't say good, but well-told urban policing stories and decent emotional drama. And when an actor is unable to convey the needed emotions it just grates on me like crazy. Fire had Saint Gabby, Med had Saint Natalie, PD has Upton. The two earlier shows improved remarkably when those characters departed, although to be fair, Gabby (the character) was the annoyance; Raymund was easy on the eyes and at least for a while had serious chemistry with Casey.

I wouldn't mind seeing T.S. more in a supporting role, but for the love of ghu, she does not deserve the billing she currently has.

• Love 1
On 10/8/2021 at 2:45 AM, TAG42481 said:

I would suggest that you catch up from the beginning; I'm pretty sure that all episodes are streaming for free on Peacock. This show used to actually be good. The first 4 or 5 seasons were very good. 

We now just complain about Hailey because we know what this show used to be - should still be - but know that the character of Hailey is ruining it. The character is bad, the actress isn't great, and the constant focus on her is losing the show viewers. 

However, I do agree that this was one of the better episodes in a long time. I'm partial to Halstead, so I liked that he carried the story in this one. His former Ranger colleague turning into a murderer was an interesting twist too.

Let's hope that they can keep this up this season and make it better than the last few.  I hope that next week, Jay dumps Hailey on her ass and she gets what is coming to her. I doubt it'll happen, but I can dream...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I would suggest that you catch up from the beginning; I'm pretty sure that all episodes are streaming for free on Peacock. This show used to actually be good. The first 4 or 5 seasons were very good. 

We now just complain about Hailey because we know what this show used to be - should still be - but know that the character of Hailey is ruining it. The character is bad, the actress isn't great, and the constant focus on her is losing the show viewers. 

However, I do agree that this was one of the better episodes in a long time. I'm partial to Halstead, so I liked that he carried the story in this one. His former Ranger colleague turning into a murderer was an interesting twist too.

Let's hope that they can keep this up this season and make it better than the last few.  I hope that next week, Jay dumps Hailey on her ass and she gets what is coming to her. I doubt it'll happen, but I can dream...

I agree. She is ruining the character of Jay as well. I know people didn’t like stories revolves around Erin the first couple seasons. I’m a fan of her but I just think s1-s4, the cast had better chemistry together and Sophia is a much better actress than Tracy and she had better chemistry with Jesse . I usually avoid Upton and Halstead clips. But when I see them trying to get romantic. I laugh because it so uncomfortable because they trying too hard . I honestly don’t know how anyone can think they are good .  I had to laugh when I saw someone say that Tracy carries all three shows.  Upton’s facial expressions bug me. I wish Jay dumps her but we all know eid won’t let his golden child get hurt. Somehow he will make it where Upton was victim and Voight was the big bad wolf who made her do it . She surely didn’t have any issues when she arranged darius murder. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Jaelyn96 said:

I agree. She is ruining the character of Jay as well. I know people didn’t like stories revolves around Erin the first couple seasons. I’m a fan of her but I just think s1-s4, the cast had better chemistry together and Sophia is a much better actress than Tracy and she had better chemistry with Jesse . I usually avoid Upton and Halstead clips. But when I see them trying to get romantic. I laugh because it so uncomfortable because they trying too hard . I honestly don’t know how anyone can think they are good .  I had to laugh when I saw someone say that Tracy carries all three shows.  Upton’s facial expressions bug me. I wish Jay dumps her but we all know eid won’t let his golden child get hurt. Somehow he will make it where Upton was victim and Voight was the big bad wolf who made her do it . She surely didn’t have any issues when she arranged darius murder. 

I agree that the original cast was the best.  They haven't been able to replicate it since Sophia, Jon, and Elias left. 

I liked Erin as well; she was definitely flawed, but she knew it and tried to work on it.  Everyone else knew it too and tried to help where they could.  Hailey is severely flawed and doesn't care; she just lies about it.  And since Erin was a major character (dare I say one of the three original stars of the show), we always knew that she'd be a focus and we either liked the show with/despite of her, or we didn't.  With Hailey being newer and thrust on us in a show that we've all already come to like, it's much harder to like such a horrible character.

The people on Twitter who say that Hailey and Jay have "magical chemistry" or whatever else have clearly never seen two characters have actual chemistry...

• Love 1