Type keyword(s) to search

Family Law (2021) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This show has got the weirdest schedule. Apparently season 3 has already been filmed and has aired in Australia but the Global TV website says season 2 is coming soon. I saw season 2 a long time ago!

• Mind Blown 2
13 hours ago, dwmarch said:

This show has got the weirdest schedule. Apparently season 3 has already been filmed and has aired in Australia but the Global TV website says season 2 is coming soon. I saw season 2 a long time ago!

In Canada? I have not seen it as of yet and frustrated that this is  a Canadian show and has aired elsewhere first and not on homeland. 

Oh my Gawd!  Season 2 episode 1 - Revisionist History - was AWESOME. And Appa was the guest star.  

Frank confirming that he was going to cheat on Abby and finally Sophia realizing that her dad isn't the perfect guy - priceless.

Joanne going into the office and seeing Harry and then telling Daniel how she knows his mother - priceless.

I want to see all the episodes RIGHT NOW.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Season 2 Episode 2

Great episode.  I thought I had lost interest because of the long delay with season 2 but it pulled me right back in. (Unfortunately, I forgot it started last week so I missed episode 1).

Glad Abby's family is working towards getting back together.

The client of the week was very likeable and her case was very touching.  Loved the fan girls greeting her at school.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Season 2 Episode 2

Great episode.  I thought I had lost interest because of the long delay with season 2 but it pulled me right back in. (Unfortunately, I forgot it started last week so I missed episode 1).

Glad Abby's family is working towards getting back together.

The client of the week was very likeable and her case was very touching.  Loved the fan girls greeting her at school.

Make sure you watch episode one because the scene where Frank goes to see Abby in her office is one of the series' very best. Abby's emotions in that scene are so intense!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Season 2 Episode 2

Another great episode and the court case of the week was very in touch with what is going on today regarding trans people.

MVP was definitely Jerri. From the way she related to Chloe, to her explanation of what would have happened if she came out around Chloe's age to dishing out ice cream after Harry and Crystal broke up... priceless.  I need more backstory on Jerri and we need to meet her wife.

Thank goodness Harry and Crystal broke up. Harry must have been super desperate to believe for half a second that Crystal wouldn't have used the "pillow talk" conversation to her advantage for her show.  

Daniel continues to be an ass. Is his mother still alive? Would love to see her at the office just so Abby can meet the woman and throw a few barbs.  

Cecil's crush on Nina is super cute.  Can't believe we have to wait 2 weeks for episode 3 :(

• Like 2
23 hours ago, greekmom said:

Season 2 Episode 2

Another great episode and the court case of the week was very in touch with what is going on today regarding trans people.

MVP was definitely Jerri. From the way she related to Chloe, to her explanation of what would have happened if she came out around Chloe's age to dishing out ice cream after Harry and Crystal broke up... priceless.  I need more backstory on Jerri and we need to meet her wife.

Thank goodness Harry and Crystal broke up. Harry must have been super desperate to believe for half a second that Crystal wouldn't have used the "pillow talk" conversation to her advantage for her show.  

Daniel continues to be an ass. Is his mother still alive? Would love to see her at the office just so Abby can meet the woman and throw a few barbs.  

Cecil's crush on Nina is super cute.  Can't believe we have to wait 2 weeks for episode 3 :(

That was absolutely hysterical. Didn't ever say why she was doing it, but it was obviously implied. "It's a great day, here's some ice cream!"

I love Joanne's interaction with Daniel too. "She used to be my best friend. Until she slept with my husband."

• Like 1

“Under the Influence”  Season 2 episode 3
I am going to arm chair spit ball but I think Frank still blames and resents Abby for her drinking.  Did you see the smile and glee when the therapist asked when did Frank or Abby realize that she had a problem with alcohol?  Then how happy and praising he was of the therapist?  I loved how he was so sure that the therapist was Team Frank yet he got taken down a peg or two.

The Lift cult is just a sub for NXIVM... right?

Daniel isn't that great of a lawyer. I think the screw up of the class action lawsuit is proof.  This is more Daniel's fault than Abby's IMHO.  Glad it worked out in the end.

Anyone catch the big KNORR product placement signs? LOL.

Poor Cecil... 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Anyone catch the big KNORR product placement signs? LOL.

Gotta get funding where you can....

Daniel has never been a good lawyer but his ego won't let him accept it.  In his mind, he's better than Abigail and Harry's match.

It's fun seeing the Vancouver actors. Cordelia and the judge at the end were very familiar.

Is this the end of Nate the cult leader? I thought that his threat against Abby was worth more.

Usually TV therapists are not good but I was very impressed at the one here who pointed out that Frank was looking to emphasize how hard it was living with Abby. She made the right decision to walk away.

Cecil needs to just go for it and ask Nina out before they leave on their trip.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Daniel has never been a good lawyer but his ego won't let him accept it.  In his mind, he's better than Abigail and Harry's match.

And that's what Daniel has from Harry the ego.

Abby - Harry's intelligence

Lucy - Harry's philandering

I gotta say overall another great episode. I hope they show season 3 right after season 2. It's already been filmed and aired elsewhere.

• Like 3
(edited)

The Knorr adds threw me off every time they showed up. I think most egregious was how badly they were CGI'd. Talk to the NHL about superimposed ads, Family Law!

Daniel continues to be The Worst (tied with Frank).

As someone who grew up in Vancouver, I laughed whole heartedly at the "running around in lulu lemon" line. I was trying to sort out where that obstacle course may be - Wild Play in Maple Ridge, maybe?

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Like 2

Season 2 episode 4. "Return to Sender” 

Harry is right.  Abby will need representation as Frank will play dirty.  
I wasn't too jazzed about the case of the week. I did feel bad for the mail order bride regardless.  The dude was clearly an incel. And that was his 2nd mail order bride while he put a deposit on a 3rd?!?!  I mean comeon, the woman who ran the business clearly had no scruples.

I also feel for Lucy. Yeah she cheated and I get how Maggie needs support but the mutual friend is a major jerk.  I mean I get it if Maggie had a friend who supported her and was anti Lucy. But a mutual friend? I dunno.  Something about that friend just makes me think 'poor Lucy' even though she was in the wrong.

Is Danielle that clueless about dating?  And I like the chef/restaurant owner.  Hope she sticks around and gets that stick out of Danielle's butt.

#silverfox  Victor Garber still has it.

• Like 5

I liked Cordelia (?) pointing out that both Abby and Frank are stalling at the divorce and asking Abby what she wanted. I'm glad that she chose divorce because for all the feelings between them, Frank can't be trusted (e.g., going back to Felicity as Abby is preparing to move in, "Your mother's decision").

I thought that Karolinka was working as a phone sex worker. A girl's gotta make money somehow if her husband is keeping her locked in the trailer.

With the temp who is afraid to say anything, all I could think of was "How cheap to keep from having to pay the actor for a speaking part." Between that and the Knorr placements, it looks like they're really trying to make the budget balance

7 hours ago, greekmom said:

I also feel for Lucy. Yeah she cheated and I get how Maggie needs support but the mutual friend is a major jerk.  I mean I get it if Maggie had a friend who supported her and was anti Lucy. But a mutual friend? I dunno.  Something about that friend just makes me think 'poor Lucy' even though she was in the wrong.

Yes to all that.  Maggie was hurt but it was mean not to let Lucy know that she wouldn't be home. And yeah, that friend looks like someone seeking to move in and take Lucy's place.

• Like 3

I am many levels of angry with JoJo. What she did was stupid and dangerous.

And why is she pushing Abby to date now, anyway? She's at the very beginning of divorcing Frank- she'll see other guys when she's ready.

I'm conflicted about Frank- he's angry about the divorce and doing some stupid things in response. But looking at it from his side (he doesn't know what we know as the audience), Abby and JoJo left the children alone and bad things happened. In his place I would probably go for full custody too. 

Of course the facts of that night weren't so cut-and-dried (from Abby's side, anyway- JoJo gets no grace from me). I know he's a child, but I wanted to smack Nico with that "They didn't even notice I was gone?". If you purposely make your bed to look like you're in it, you can't get mad when no one notices you're not in it! Abby came home, checked in on him, saw that he was asleep in bed(!), and then went on to deal with the emergency she was aware of-Sofia's not at home, OMG, gotta find Sofia! 

Of course, Frank will fixate on the fact that Abby was out on a date. But whatever the reason she wasn't home, she left a competent adult in charge. who turned out to be not-so-responsible.

Messy!

• Like 2

Season 2, Episode 6  Wicked Games

Still feeling bad for Abby. Frank is going at her with full force and she is trying to stay above board for the sake of the kids.  JoJo now blaming herself - too little too late.   
Case of the week - I first thought it was the kid.  Kudos on it being the boyfriend.
Cute fireman is going to be Abby's new love interest?!?
Daniel and Harry both dating the same girl. LOL. 
Despite their differences, Harry, Daniel and Lucy all have Abby's back. 

• Like 3

I'm glad that this show is on and so good (because this summer feels like a TV wasteland).

It was an interesting case (I didn't figure out who was doing the crazy stuff until the end but then the narcissistic actions and label fit perfectly).  Nice that there was hope for the family at the end. The boy didn't seem to have Oppositional Defiant Disorder but it's a TV show, not a psychiatric conference.*'

So it's Harry who is pronouncing Cecil's name wrong, good to know. I'm glad that Cecil finally figured out that he had to make amends.

Geri as always is a star.

That parental assessment is tough.  I'm not sure that I would pass. Is Frank getting assessed too, or does he hold all the cards? Does Abby want to change her name back to Svennson from Bianchi?

The custody arrangment may blow back on Frank because the kids will forgive Abby going out one night but they may not forgive Frank for keeping her from them.

10 hours ago, greekmom said:

Despite their differences, Harry, Daniel and Lucy all have Abby's back.

Abby's earned it, but it's still nice to see.

*The best description of Opposistional Defiant Disorder vs ADHD I've ever heard (I wish that I could remember who said it to give him credit):  If your kid is watching TV and has his feet up on the table, and you say "Get your feet off the table" and he does but 5 minutes later they are back up, so you say it again and he takes them off again but then they're back up 10 mintues later, that's ADHD. If you say "Get your feed off the table" and he says "Make me", that's Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I'm glad that this show is on and so good (because this summer feels like a TV wasteland).

So it's Harry who is pronouncing Cecil's name wrong, good to know. I'm glad that Cecil finally figured out that he had to make amends.

Geri as always is a star.

That parental assessment is tough.  I'm not sure that I would pass. Is Frank getting assessed too, or does he hold all the cards? Does Abby want to change her name back to Svennson from Bianchi?

The custody arrangment may blow back on Frank because the kids will forgive Abby going out one night but they may not forgive Frank for keeping her from them.

I agree. I am worried what will happen with this show is over and the writer's strike/actor's strike keeps going. We won't get anything new till Sept 2024.

I also hope they release season 3 right after season 2.

Agree about Jerri.  I want a back story sooo bad and to meet her wife.

I hope that the whole thing falls flat in Frank's face. I think it's only Abby's parenting that is in question at this point.  Except for what happened with Jo Jo, since Abby got sober, she's been an excellent parent. And despite what Frank has done to her, she never acted vindictive in front of the kids and tried to co-parent with him fairly.  It's Frank who's been a vindictive SOB. 

• Like 5
On 7/4/2023 at 5:08 PM, greekmom said:

I hope that the whole thing falls flat in Frank's face. I think it's only Abby's parenting that is in question at this point.  Except for what happened with Jo Jo, since Abby got sober, she's been an excellent parent. And despite what Frank has done to her, she never acted vindictive in front of the kids and tried to co-parent with him fairly.  It's Frank who's been a vindictive SOB. 

Yeah I don't think it's occurred to Frank that this could backfire. He has been trying to alienate Abby from the kids the shrink might call him out on that. It might also be worth noting that Frank doesn't seem to have the support system that Abby does. That is something judge's will often take into account.

• Like 3
(edited)

S02.E01: Revisionist History

SEASON PREMIERE – Still reeling from the discovery of Frank’s (guest star Luke Camilleri) continued affair, Abby (Jewel Staite) sets out to get justice for a debt-ridden widow whose husband may have faked his own death. Daniel (Zach Smadu), meanwhile, is excited to start his first week as partner and Lucy (Genelle Williams) crashes at Joanne’s (Lauren Holly) as she mourns her breakup with Maggie (guest star Ali Liebert). Harry (Victor Garber) tries to broker peace between his children and his girlfriend Crystal Steele (guest star Lynda Boyd) by luring them to a family dinner under false pretenses. 

Premiere Date: July 7, 2023      CW      8pm 

Edited by AnimeMania
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

S02.E01: Revisionist History

SEASON PREMIERE – Still reeling from the discovery of Frank’s (guest star Luke Camilleri) continued affair, Abby (Jewel Staite) sets out to get justice for a debt-ridden widow whose husband may have faked his own death. Daniel (Zach Smadu), meanwhile, is excited to start his first week as partner and Lucy (Genelle Williams) crashes at Joanne’s (Lauren Holly) as she mourns her breakup with Maggie (guest star Ali Liebert). Harry (Victor Garber) tries to broker peace between his children and his girlfriend Crystal Steele (guest star Lynda Boyd) by luring them to a family dinner under false pretenses. 

Premiere Date: July 7, 2023      CW      8pm 

I found this enjoyable and I’m glad the “widow” won out in the end

• Like 2

S2 E1

So glad this is finally airing here. I like that thy are not letting the cheaters off the hook. I'm curious why Abby's mother is sympathetic to Lucy. Also, Lucy should get a room somewhere. She's not a broke teenager, she's a well-paid professional. But, it's better for the plot to have her with Abby and Abby's mom, plus we get to see her squirm as she sees the fallout of her behavior reflected in their family.

Crystal is in fact vile. I'm glad all the siblings agree.

If the "amnesiac" husband were actually truly amnesiac, he's be horrified to find out what he'd done, not trying to shrug it off as "oh well, I don't remember". I kept waiting for someone to point that out. If you are a decent person, and you find out that you abandoned a loving partner... you'd be upset, right? You would want to find out more about that person and you'd be grateful to have been found so you could put the pieces of your life back together. Even if you were happy in your new life, you'd want to make someone kind of amends toward the person you left behind. And if you were a decent person you would not have ben draining the bank account and leaving your partner destitute. 

I get how hard it is to turn away someone you loved, even after they betray you and prove themselves incapable of treating you well. It's refreshing to see the way terrible behavior  is not being hand-waved on this show. The siblings hate Crystal. Her not caring that she'd driven all of them from the table is exactly in character for someone who is content to make a living spewing prejudice and hate. And dad's total willingness to not care about any of that, and to only care about how she makes him feel  in the moment-- also in character. You see what his priorities are, and how the way he's lived his life tracks with that. He cares about his kids. But he's not going to put that ahead of his fun. He's trying to have both, but the kids don't respect him. He doesn't care about that, though, either. Respect isn't really his value system.

I felt bad for Abby's son, holding all that by himself, and then being alone at home while his sister went to mom and dad went chasing after her. He really is a terrible person, the way he tried to make it out that everything in the marriage was Abby's fault, while pretending to her that he was being neutral so they could present a united front. Gaslighting for fun and profit! He thought he could take the moral high ground AND keep the house, kids, respectability, and devoted wife who would grovel to prove herself. What a power trip!!

And Lucy's wife admitting that their relationship started when Lucy was with someone else-- well, it makes her anger less justified, but she's still right about Lucy, even if she's been complicit. She might be the one of them who's learned something, at least.

Daniel with his dog and his power-tripping on the partnership. He comes across kind of pathetic. His behavior is terrible but I almost felt sorry for him. He doesn't seem to be as good of a lawyer as Abby, either. Notice that she was working elsewhere successfully until her drinking got out of hand. The other siblings don't seem to have managed to make lives for themselves independently. 

How does Abby's mother have such a swanky place? She doesn't seem to be working.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

And one more thing!!

Let's say you suddenly find yourself suffering from amensia. You don't remember where you've been or what got you to where you are. 

What do you do?

Travel to a farm and ask for a job paid in cash?

Or head to the hospital or SOMEWHERE and ask for help? 

And what do you do when some stranger shows up at your business and says he doesn't know who he is or how he got there, but he wants a job, paid in cash? Do you do a background check or a search and try to figure out who he is? Do you run the name he gives you through some kind of database or other, to try to verify his identity? Or do you hire him, then essentially marry him and make him a business partner, with no curiosity about where he came from?

--

I actually know two people who had temporary amnesia. On was after a bike accident. She was totally confused, crying, didn't know what had happened, and everyone around her was freaking out. She got medical attention. They were worried about concussion, etc. Full medical work up. She recovered but it was definitely not a "shake it off and start a new life" kind of day.

The other had a transient thing, it happened to her twice. She knew who she was, she recognized people and things from the far past, but she was totally disoriented in the present, kept repeating herself, didn't know what happened 5 minutes ago or last week, and people had to supervise her so she didn't get into trouble. Again, full medical work up. It only lasted a day or so each time it happened, but the first thing everybody wanted was to rule out a stroke. 

I just can't imagine finding oneself with no idea where you'd been for a few years, and just inventing a name and getting an off books job and carrying on, no attempt to figure anything out. That is extremely suspicious in itself, even if he hadn't left his wife bankrupt.

• Like 2

Season 2, Episode 7  Arrested Development

Frank continues to be a complete malaka. He's worse than scum of the earth.
We meet Jerri's wife Elenore! Not enough time.
The case of the week was interesting. I agree that they never let the dude grow up but where is the line drawn?

• Like 3
(edited)

Season 2, Episode 7  Arrested Development

I thought that this was a very good episode. Lots of wins for Our Team -- the client is growing up based on Abby telling him to start getting out there, the family is reconciling, Harry got his client back with a very shrewd chess move and Cecil passed his exam thanks to Winston. Cute Fireman looks like he'll be around more.

Three nice moments: Harry telling Daniel that he's not going to give him a trophy for doing his job (carrying on the theme of the episode), Lucy psyching out the evaluator telling her that Abby they both know that Abby passes the bar for acceptable parenting, and Abby's mother realizing how her anger at Harry affected Abby.

Since Nico refused to talk to Abby or play their word game until Frank was ready to let her have contact with the kids again, I wonder if Frank was forbidding Nico to talk to her and Nico was hiding it.

Frank is really awful and there are times when one wants to like him. This last trick is really low. If I were Abby, I'd wait for the parenting evaluation and take it to a judge.

On 7/10/2023 at 9:05 PM, greekmom said:

The case of the week was interesting. I agree that they never let the dude grow up but where is the line drawn?

The cases on this show  often lead to discussions at my house but this one sparked a long conversationg, especially from the young adult with a social anxiety disorder. There would be a lot more good parents if it was easier to know where to draw the line.

ETA: where I would draw the line is locking up the liquor when Sofia is around without addressing why she got drunk that night. She's 14, she needs to learn to be in situations where there is alcohol and not drink.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Like 2

S02.E02: I Now Pronoun You

DISCOVERIES – Abby (Jewel Staite) and Daniel (Zach Smadu) represent a trans teenager whose grandfather is blocking her access to hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Meanwhile, Frank (guest star Luke Camilleri) faces Sofia’s teenage wrath after her discovery of his affair… and a smug Abby does little to heal that wound. A rift forms between Daniel and Lucy (Genelle Williams) when he finds out about her affair. Daniel’s attempts to modernize the firm don’t go over well with an entrenched Harry (Victor Garber). And Harry makes a difficult decision when he realizes he cannot keep his professional life separate from his girlfriend’s politics. 

Premiere Date: July 14, 2023      CW      8pm 

S2 Ep2

I liked this well enough, but I wish they hadn't personalized the trans information exclusively. It's important to showcase empathy and personal stories, but there is also  AMPLE evidence that trans kids are MUCH MORE LIKELY to attempt suicide if denied transition support, than otherwise. It's also QUITE RARE that anyone "de-transitions".

They also ignored that some effects of DELAYING care are irreversible, and that ALL THE RESEARCH indicates that BETTER OUTCOMES are achieved with earlier rather than later interventions.

Also, I don't know what the rules are in Canada, but in the USA it's not so easy to whimsically go on puberty blockers or hormones. I suppose there are ways to get hormones without fllowing the rules, but the way this case was portrayed implies nobody was suggestion that route. It typically involves quite a bit of counseling and assessment first, especially for minors.

And, too, the lesbian who de-transitioned may have come from a family or community where being a lesbian was stigmatized, whereas it's clear that Chloe came from an environment where she was not being pressured out of fear of being gay. If the case allowed some stranger to testify against transition based on that stranger's personal experience, surely they could have come up with a lot of other strangers whose testimony would have been showed the opposite, that transition was good for them and they do NOT regret it. 

The case as presented just seemed really sloppy and unprepared. 

Still, I liked Abby's daughter in this. 

So glad Crystal is gone. Haven't forgiven Harry for his horrible judgment, however. 

• Like 3

Season 2, Episode 8  “The Good, The Bad, and the Pugly”
Frank continues to be a douchebag. Daniel should have called Kyle's bluff. Nice to to see some backstory with Jerri (finally!) and I figured it was the fact that she was an alcoholic and not the trans issue.  Lucy's story took an interesting turn. And kudos for JoJo in doing the right thing. Where was she able to get a room?

• Like 2

Season 2, Episode 8  “The Good, The Bad, and the Pugly”

This episode was about children:  Harry's of course, Abigail trying to find a place to be with hers since Frank won't let JoJo see them, Daniel and the pug, Lucy wanting to help her ex with the new baby, and finally we see Jerri's family and the problems that her alcoholism caused. (Eleanor is a saint.)

Most medical or legal shows if they even have a therapist it's to do some twisty diagnosis or come up with the clue to whodunit. I really like that Family Law uses Lucy as a therapist and a good one. Family issues are far more complex than most TV shows present and the simple answer is often not the right one.

We also find the flaw in Abby's  firefighter -- roommates.

Cordelia, Abby's lawyer, is awesome.

Directed by Sarah Wayne Calles who I remember as the doctor from Prison Break.

1 hour ago, greekmom said:

And kudos for JoJo in doing the right thing. Where was she able to get a room?

The episode opened with someone texting her about last night. My guess that's the bed she found.

Only two more episodes left this season.😣

• Like 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Only two more episodes left this season.😣

I'm hoping that due to the writer's strike they might take a short hiatus and come back in the fall to fill in the gaps for fall shows. There is a trailer already. Not sure if you've seen it. Of course there are some mild spoilers. Be warned.

Forgot to mention in my original post, you can tell Victor Garber and the guy who played Chip were really trying hard not to laugh at the titles of the porn magazines. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

I'm hoping that due to the writer's strike they might take a short hiatus and come back in the fall to fill in the gaps for fall shows. There is a trailer already. Not sure if you've seen it. Of course there are some mild spoilers. Be warned.

Forgot to mention in my original post, you can tell Victor Garber and the guy who played Chip were really trying hard not to laugh at the titles of the porn magazines. 

I was in hysterics when they were reading those. I assume those are made up maganizes - see, writers deserve a raise!

Craig continues to be the cutest, Frank continues to be the worst, and that was a heavy episode for Jerri. And stupid me took too long to figure out why the "step mom" (Eleanor) was seeing the grandkid. DUH. That's Caroline's biological mother. 🤦‍♀️ I really liked the backstory of how long all of them have known each other, and how Harry is Caroline's godfather.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

And stupid me took too long to figure out why the "step mom" (Eleanor) was seeing the grandkid. DUH. That's Caroline's biological mother. 

It took me a few minutes to figure it out too.

So, does Jerri have a wife, other than Eleanor, too?

I'm glad Daniel has Craig for keeps now.  I'm sure he could have had Kyle charged with blackmail or something but just went with paying him to get it all over with.

And Lucy is there for Maggie.  I hope that turns out okay.

19 minutes ago, Trey said:

It took me a few minutes to figure it out too.

So, does Jerri have a wife, other than Eleanor, too?

I'm glad Daniel has Craig for keeps now.  I'm sure he could have had Kyle charged with blackmail or something but just went with paying him to get it all over with.

And Lucy is there for Maggie.  I hope that turns out okay.

I believe Eleanor is her only wife. She mentioned a few episodes ago about when she transitioned, she thought she would lose everything, but "her wife stayed". (Paraphrasing slightly.) My guess is they had Caroline, then Jerri transitioned, then they had more kids who grew up with two moms.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/18/2023 at 4:43 PM, dwmarch said:

The first four episodes of season 3 leaked online a few weeks ago... or so I heard.

Actually, the entire season did. I am halfway through, and wow, it's heavy heavy...I love how complex the cases they give to Abigail this season are. The show really upped it's writing.

• Useful 1

S02.E03: Under the Influence

STRUGGLES – Abby (Jewel Staite) and Daniel (Zach Smadu) represent a woman whose divorce gets ugly when her ex-husband accuses her of being in a cult. Meanwhile, Daniel struggles to prove his value as a partner when the firm’s big class action suit hits a snag. Lastly, Cecil (guest star Brett Kelly) works up the courage to ask Nina (guest star Kelli Ogmundson) a very important question. And after a disastrous attempt at couples’ therapy with Frank (guest star Luke Camilleri), Abby wonders if their marriage is worth salvaging, or if it’s holding her back. 

Premiere Date: July 21, 2023      CW      8pm

S2 E3

I think Abby is probably right to call it quits with her husband but at the same time, it's sus that she's doing it as soon as he starts to get more real with her. So... I'm not sure. If she was always an actively drinking alcoholic, and he was always an actively codependent partner, then yes-- it would be hard. It wouldn't all be her fault, but them both dealing with their issues (and I'm certain he has plenty of them, it really isn't just her stuff), then maybe there would be something to gain by them at least working on things together. But, I also don't blame her at all for deciding not to. I don't think I could get over him lying and him trying to turn the kids against her and projecting all the blame for their problems onto her. 

Daniel does seem to be a mediocre lawyer. I don't think it's wrong for him to look at that, and decide: is he happy that way? Honestly, I would be okay with him deciding he doesn't really thrive on conflict, so he goes into some less bloodthirsty kind of work.

I know a lawyer who really didn't like the courtroom, so she does less fighty type lawyering, reading contracts and things that don't require her to be as aggressive. It's fine. He is happy with the dog he inherited from that other case he took; most people would not be bringing the dog to work and carrying it on their body in a baby sling, and would probably be trying to place it in another home considering how it came to him. So, he might be more of a puppy than a shark if he embraced his actual temperament.

It was kind of inexplicable that he didn't even think of the obvious way to pierce the shell company thing, though. I'm not a lawyer and I thought of it. And not getting the payout agreement in writing from the insurance company? Seriously? That is so beyond sloppy that I honestly found it had to believe. So... maybe he doesn't want to be a lawyer at all?

Abby has been a really good sister to him lately. He really should start reciprocating.

Lucy was kind of background this week, slonot much to say about that. I'm bored with her sulking. She needs to be doing some work on herself, and it's kind of therapist 101 for her to realize that. 

I thought the divorce case was going to end with the couple getting back together. I think it's interesting that this show is validating the ending of relationships much more than staying in them. It's the opposite of the romantic playbook most media seems to favor. It's a little sad but it's also very refreshing in another way. 

• Like 1
On 7/21/2023 at 5:13 PM, Harvey said:

Actually, the entire season did. I am halfway through, and wow, it's heavy heavy...I love how complex the cases they give to Abigail this season are. The show really upped it's writing.

Where can i watch it??????

(edited)
21 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

I finished season 3 last night. I really hope we are getting more. Would suck if it ended like that

With that ending, they must be very confident about a season 4 renewal, which surprised me because I never saw a show being aired in such a strange way,  years after it's filmed. It's like the network owning the rights does not care about it at all.

Edited by Harvey
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Harvey said:

With that ending, they must be very confident about a season 4 renewal, which surprised me because I never saw a show being aired in such a strange way,  years after it's filmed. It's like the network owning the rights does not care about it at all.

I watched the Canadian broadcast for Season 2 (KNORR product placement) and the Aussie one for Season 3. I can't believe it has not aired here yet and I have to go hunting for it when it is a Canadian show

• Like 3