Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Picks and Strikes

• Start Topic

Callie and Mariana team up to find the right candidates for Tommy's trial; Dennis ventures into a new business; Gael and Isabella realize co-parenting is not as easy as they thought it would be; Alice decides to take the reins.

Air Date: August 4, 2021

I guess this was a win for Alice, so that is always a plus.

I surprisingly liked Mariana with the guy from Callie's office. I still don't know his name, but he's right, Mariana is wasting her talents and not all tech companies can be as bad as the one she was at.

Are they really going back to a Gael-Callie-Jamie love triangle?  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I guess this was a win for Alice, so that is always a plus.

I surprisingly liked Mariana with the guy from Callie's office. I still don't know his name, but he's right, Mariana is wasting her talents and not all tech companies can be as bad as the one she was at.

I think it's probably going to shift to a Gael-Callie-Jamie-Isabella square honestly. I have a feeling that Gael and Isabella may develop some feelings that push Callie towards Jamie. 

• Love 3

I get so confused by those fakeout scenes and those supposedly artistic scenes when we hear people talk to each other, but see them just looking at each other. Like when Davia had her childish outburst at the bar, I was sure that would be a fakeout, but it turned out to be real, so the next scene with Dennis, I didn't dare to hope, but thankfully that turned out to be fake. I liked them together just fine this episode, but I don't think either is currently at a good place to be getting together romantically. They work for me as friends.

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

God, I hope not.

I wasn't interested in Isabella's pregnancy storyline at all, but the scene with Gael somehow worked for me and made me sort of interested in how they are going to make it work, so I guess mission accomplished?

Alice's comedy group still looks like the last place I would want to be at.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Alice's comedy group still looks like the last place I would want to be at.

Yup. Love Alice, but yikes. And her sketch was not funny. I was cringing that they were saying it "killed."

• Love 2
11 hours ago, bluemoonstars said:

I think it's probably going to shift to a Gael-Callie-Jamie-Isabella square honestly. I have a feeling that Gael and Isabella may develop some feelings that push Callie towards Jamie. 

Maybe this would work as a poly situation. I think 3 of the 4 of them (i.e. not Jamie) would be open to it, unlike Malika who really just wanted the security of her known boyfriend while pursuing her lust for another dude on the side, and wasn't really interested in the group aspect or complexity of poly life.

I think Dennis and Davia bring out the worst in each other. Actually, I'm not sure there's anything else to Dennis. But Davia really does seem worse around him.

I don't get the attraction between Callie and Jamie. I really don't. They don't share really any values, they don't seem to like each other's personalities, either. It's 100% chemistry, but inexplicably so. I'd think he'd be over her after she stole from him and wrecked his career plans, and she'd be over him once she decided he was callous toward people she cared about. I know people sometimes are attracted to people for mysterious reasons, but the kinds of conflicts they've had are usually a major buzzkill.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I get so confused by those fakeout scenes and those supposedly artistic scenes when we hear people talk to each other, but see them just looking at each other. Like when Davia had her childish outburst at the bar, I was sure that would be a fakeout, but it turned out to be real, so the next scene with Dennis, I didn't dare to hope, but thankfully that turned out to be fake. I liked them together just fine this episode, but I don't think either is currently at a good place to be getting together romantically. They work for me as friends.

I am glad it isn't just me that gets confused by the fakeout scenes. And the talking over stuff. If it is meant to be artsy, I do not get it.

The timeline stuff messes me up to. I normally have no issue with shows that jump around in time, but for some reason on this show I can't track it. It must be cause I am really too old for it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

The timeline stuff messes me up to. I normally have no issue with shows that jump around in time, but for some reason on this show I can't track it. It must be cause I am really too old for it.

But this episode didn't have much of it, did it? I actually didn't notice any. I think they overdo in the time jump, don't like it either.

The fake stuff is hard to follow.

Callie is much less annoying this season, I actually almost like her (she's always been my lest favorite). Not looking forward to Jamie-Callie-Gael-Isabela either. Done, and done, and done. Enough. As for the court story, I hope they don't try to do a whole court case. There are enough of those shows already, this one can steer clear of going there

I like Alice and I like that her story of the week ended on a high note but the comedy makes me cringe. For one, not my thing and two, not funny at all

• Love 2

It looks like Sumi is starting to be interested in hooking up with Alice, and I don't know why the show thinks all these throwback relationships are interesting, but I wish they'd stop it. 

I like that Alice's story is not magically "all better after one gesture!" because that would be bullshit. But it's hard to watch, because it's so infuriating. A program like that doesn't get to be as bad as it was (is) by accident or overnight and it's unlikely to actually change that quickly either. Good for her for not internalizing it, but I still want to see her kick everybody's ass. Maybe she can write a show about it, after it's over, and expose it fully. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I completely agree with this.

8 hours ago, circumvent said:

But this episode didn't have much of it, did it? I actually didn't notice any. I think they overdo in the time jump, don't like it either.

There was that scene in the beginning when they showed Dennis paying someone and I think it was meant to be for that van later. And did I miss it, or did they not explain that scene when Marianna and the colleague played super-spies? What was that about?

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

There was that scene in the beginning when they showed Dennis paying someone and I think it was meant to be for that van later. And did I miss it, or did they not explain that scene when Marianna and the colleague played super-spies? What was that about?

You are right, I remember the scene with Dennis and the money now. The Mariana super spy thing was OTT and unnecessary.

• Love 2

I’m glad that I’m not the only one who thought that Alice’s sketch was pretty lame. I normally like Alice’s stand up, and it was certainly better than the cringy racist bits everyone was stuck doing, but it wasn’t as great as the show apparently thinks it was. The guy in charge of the workshop is not only such a dick, but a specific kind of dick, he kind of feels like he’s based on someone one of the writers knows and really dislikes. Like this whole plot exists for a writer to vent about some asshole they had to work with once so they created this characature of them so they can dunk on them for an entire season. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, circumvent said:

I like Alice and I like that her story of the week ended on a high note but the comedy makes me cringe. For one, not my thing and two, not funny at all

I agree, none of the standup on this show is funny, and I find myself cringing every time. I do like what they're doing with the plot, and the overall messages of the sketches,  but the sketches themselves are not funny, and would probably be booed off of a real stage. 

• Love 2

Anyone else getting a Veronica Mars vibe from Mariana's storyline? Are they going to have her go in that direction of being on the tech side of investigating? Honestly, she has the bubbly personality to do that kind of undercover work where she can charm people, as well as the tech knowledge of being able to break through things. It would likely lead to some far fetched storylines, but I don't hate it. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, sara416 said:

Anyone else getting a Veronica Mars vibe from Mariana's storyline? Are they going to have her go in that direction of being on the tech side of investigating? Honestly, she has the bubbly personality to do that kind of undercover work where she can charm people, as well as the tech knowledge of being able to break through things. It would likely lead to some far fetched storylines, but I don't hate it. 

I hope not. There are enough shows like that. What I like about this one is that it focuses on topics that are rarely mentioned on TV, that people today often have to deal with. I mean, I like the more wacky shows too, but I would rather keep them separate.

I used to love Mariana, but she's gotten harder and harder to root for lately. I don't really want them to change the show's tone to VM, but I definitely see the parallel. It's easier to watch Mariana be competent than what we were watching her do before, but I would rather they find a happy medium, where she's not obnoxious and you don't want to root against her, but she's also not giving up on what made her so special before, which in my mind was her doggedness and ambition. It's like they've regressed her personality lately. I don't understand why they'd think that was a good idea OR in character, given her history.