Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E08: Auditions 8

• Start Topic

(edited)

Bini the Bunny was cute but that went on way too long (though I'm kind of glad they didn't buzz and scare the bunny). But I did like the guy's bunny ears in his jacket instead of a pocket square.

I loved the guy whose "wife missed her flight." I knew from the this-will-surely-be-terrible set up that it was probably going to be something good, but I definitely was not expecting that. Could not figure out what was happening until he stood up at the end. 

Lewberger was on Bring the Funny a couple years ago. I remember them being pretty funny but we didn't get to see much tonight plus they made Terry take his shirt off which I just didn't need.

I contemplated ordering pizza on my way home (from the good local place I haven't had in over a year because of covid (they were open, I just wasn't ordering food)) but PIZZAMAAAAAN kinda made me glad I didn't.

How did I know the Nigerian guy was gonna be a contortionist? How are they always smiling? What did they say to the other one (girl who was part of a montage, had a big clock)? Something along the lines of "Your face looks so happy while your body is doing horrific things."

I glanced at the clock when the strongman brothers came on and it was 8:57 and I was thinking they were the last act and then I remembered it's a two hour show. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Edited by ams1001
16 minutes ago, camom said:

I'm not sure why this is still called AMERICA'S Got Talent, especially since there is a version is pretty much every country.

I wonder how many Americans go on the other countries' Got Talents...

• Love 2

We're going directly to lives, no cut downs? Pretty harsh on everyone they let through who won't get to fight for their spot this time.

May have been real audiences at times. Disclaimer which has been running the whole season states "...visuals of audience featured in this episode included real and virtual shots, as well as shots from past seasons." World ranked competitive eater wasn't actually an act, but damned if I didn't laugh. Puppet dancer, not sure what to call him exactly, had a good act but it depends on the 'gotcha' at the end. When you know the trick where is there to go? Loved the Janice singer, that was the best performance of Piece of My Heart on any competitive reality show I've ever seen. Question is does she only sing Janice, or songs from that era. But we won't get to find out because she probably will not be one of the 36 :(.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, camom said:

I'm not sure why this is still called AMERICA'S Got Talent, especially since there is a version is pretty much every country.

I'm not sure if you are asking a serious question since this question has been asked many times before.  "Got Talent" is the name of the company that runs these talent shows. They travel all over the world. In the case of AGT, America is the hosting country. That's why it's not  Americans Got talent but rather America's Got Talent.

• Love 1

A few points about yesterday's show.....

*  That boy with the long hair that sang a Queen song didn't really sound good at all.  I think because he is 14 years old and attempting such a classic, people assume he's going to sound great. CUT!

*  The lone dancer was a pretty good act.  I figured he was using his hands and feet when he went to the table. I wonder what he'll do next?

*  The guy with a bunny wasn't very good. I would've buzzed him.

*  The juggler was probably the best act of the night. Very entertaining!

*  I'm ready to weed out all the sob story acts. Send them home!!!

• Love 2

Anica's take on "Piece of my heart" is getting some chatter in my local Facebook groups because she is from my neck of the woods (NB, Canada). Not that you would know that since they carefully stepped around where she was from. She did slip an "eh" in that the judges reacted to. 

And she did a fine performance of Janis's song from what I saw. I do wonder if Simon has an ulterior motive for saying "No" to her though. He's got Canada's Got Talent in the pipeline for this fall, and Anica would be a fine talent to feature on it. I suspect she'll be quietly cut between rounds, and she'll audition again on CGT this fall and Simon will gush over what a good singer she is and stuff. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

He's got Canada's Got Talent in the pipeline for this fall

Well, that answers my idle wondering last night of if there's a Canada's Got Talent...

12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Well, that answers my idle wondering last night of if there's a Canada's Got Talent...

Yeah we had one (maybe 2?) seasons a few years back and then it was cancelled. CityTV brought it back for this fall. Sadly, it's Yet Another Show with Simon judging on it. :( The last time we had some great Canadian judges. 

• Useful 1

My favorites last night were the juggler, he was fun to watch.  And the puppet dancer...that was unique & clever.  Was that really Simon's house they were at, or just a rented house for the show?

Because the last two episodes have really rocked it with the first act, I was expecting Benni the Bunny to be fabulous. Well, I did LOL when he plucked the guitar string, so that's something. I vote yes.

Violin singer girl I liked. Simon played all coy about liking her or not letting her through, yet he was the one all gungho about that no-talent sucky junior high band last week.

Recorder guy gets a yes from me. I have a recorder and can't even play a short tune on it.

Colombian juggler gets a big yes from me.

The married ballroom dance couple ... he was good, she was not. They got four nos. I gave them one-half no.

Judge clothes change No. 1 happened next!

The single-man dancer was from Branson so of course his act is appearing there. He didn't fool me for an instance since that's an old Vaudeville routine I've seen many times, but it's like Simon didn't get it even when the trick was revealed. Have I mentioned I can't stand Simon, he's such a tool.

Judge clothes change No. 2 happened next!

The three bears got four yeses. WTH was that about. The tennis hoop guy got yeses. WTH was that about. Clock contortion girl got yeses. I'm guessing these are acts we'll never see again, thank you TPTB.

Judge clothes change No. 3 happened next!

The hot-air-blowing guy. WTH was that about. Next was Loo-Burger three guys and Terry took off his shirt and then that act was all about him so I looked away. I can't stand shirtless Look At Me Terry. Loo-Burger AND Terry get a big NO from me.

Another clothes change! Followed by yet ANOTHER judge clothes change!

I really liked the 14-year-old piano-singer boy, which surprised me because I'm not a fan of singers on this show. He got a YES from me, please. Plus he looked like Jodie Foster. Not sure if that's a plus or not.

The three Colombian hand balancing bros ... so good. Big YES from me. I guess this is Colombian-act week.

Terry participates in the clothes changing, going from his turtleneck suit of last week to something else. Amazing how he did that! He's the Tyra Banks of talent-show hosts.

Mike Goodwin, the standup guy in the high-school letter sweater ... why does Simon ask everyone how old they are. I wish someone would ask back how old Simon is, then get ll googly eyed over how ancient he is. Anyway, "I liked Mike" okay.

The next act was an old lady who flirted with Howie and got voted off. So, poster from last week who wished Howie got more flirts, this is what happens when that happens.

Anika, the singer with the big hair, did a great Janis impression. Maybe that's why Simon hated her, he couldn't make money off of a Janis singer. Well, I liked her. A lot more than I like Simon, which is not at all.

The cake girl needed four immediate Xs. She got one from me.

Pizza guy was pretty fun, but how did those crusts disappear, he had one all spread out, then it was gone and he had two all spread out then he had one again then at the end he "lost" another. Great editing show, making them disappear like that. I voted him through.

The only child rapper got a NO from me and four yeses from the judges. *sigh*

The Nigerian contortionist with white eyes ... okay to send him through. But I wanted to know about his eyeballs. At least TPTB got him to cry, poor guy. Nice to see someone from Nigeria who isn't a prince or someone running an email phishing scam.

Next we get a video clip revue of all the acts ... and funny how I've already forgotten 9/10ths of them. I guess we get a couple of weeks off, during which time I will have forgotten 10/10ths of them. So the "lives" will be all new to me, yeay!

• Love 3

As I clicked the DVR to begin this ep, I was lamenting that we had not had a lot of goofy acts thus far.  Then, BOOM, we got Bini.  I thoroughly enjoyed this last auditions edition.  In fact, I think it was the best AGT ep in forever.  There was an absolute minimum of desperation in most all the acts.  Nobody's grandma was gonna die if widdle Angel did not get through.  

I was blown away by Dylan, the 14 y.o. rocker.  His tone is unique as all get out and his confidence as he played with the tune was well beyond his years.  He gave one of the most Simon-y answers I have ever seen...(paraphrase) "I am not interested in others.  I want to talk about me because I am much more interesting"  Yes, Dylan.  You are.

This was a darn good auditions round of shows, GB's to the contrary notwithstanding.  It was not top-heavy with vapid sob story singers.  There was a fair amount of variety acts and more than a few "Gong Show" acts which winked all the way.  Comedians were not horrid, and a couple have solid talent.  The magicians were most definitely a cut below recent times, though.  I am certain that was intentional.  We had no danger acts, but we are about to get a bunch of them on the spinoff.

This is the best panel of jidges, if Stern is not gonna play the role anymore.  They seemed to genuinely enjoy being together and there was a nice balance of compassion and reality expressed.  One downer was often seeing Simon's droop or slow eye.  All the King's horses...

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this last auditions edition. 

Thank you! I totally agree, even if it means giving up my snark card. For the first time in a few seasons I wasn't totally bored listening to a horrible singer and feeling bad because that singer is homeless and has cancer and deaf. 

3 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I was blown away by Dylan, the 14 y.o. rocker.  His tone is unique as all get out and his confidence as he played with the tune was well beyond his years. 

On this part I don't agree. He was a decent singer, but I hated his phrasing. It's a big song to sing, but I don't think he added anything. 

8 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The magicians were most definitely a cut below recent times, though.  I am certain that was intentional. 

Fully agree, although I can't imagine why TPTB would do that. We have a choice of either Shin Lim card tricks or mentalists, WHO ALL DO THE SAME THING. I'm bored with both. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I was blown away by Dylan, the 14 y.o. rocker.  His tone is unique as all get out and his confidence as he played with the tune was well beyond his years.  He gave one of the most Simon-y answers I have ever seen...(paraphrase) "I am not interested in others.  I want to talk about me because I am much more interesting"  Yes, Dylan.  You are.

Actually that's the opposite of what he said. Simon asked him if the other kids were supportive of his singing and he said "I like hearing what other people are doing. I'm not a big fan of talking about myself." I thought that was a nice, humble response.

• Love 7

It looks like we get to forgo the the elimination process of them all standing on the stage and getting cut in groups.  Yay for that!  Maybe we can just fast forward right into the competition, sans the drama.  Nice touch of sending the contestants a box with a golden buzzer in it.  

23 hours ago, Tango64 said:

Simon asked him if the other kids were supportive of his singing and he said "I like hearing what other people are doing. I'm not a big fan of talking about myself." I thought that was a nice, humble response.

He seems to be a very sweet young man.  I hope he made the cut.  

• Love 1