Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: A Show of Hands

After a damaging magazine article is written about Sarah, she realizes that it's time for Greylock to create a more representative government. With an election open to anyone, Danny, Maya, AJ, and Corinne take a shot at the four available seats. Meanwhile, AJ, Sarah, and Grover all find themselves facing complications in their respective love lives.

(edited)

I’m loving Sarah and Grover so what happened between them this ep hurt. I get why both reacted the way they did. Grover clearly has feelings for Sarah but he’s not ready yet. It wasn’t completely right for him to sorta lead her on though. But when you like someone mistakes will be made, I suppose. As for Sarah, sure she shouldn’t have jumped on the journalist to try and force herself to “move on.” But all we know is that she’s been in love with Grover for awhile now and has been waiting patiently for him to make a move. Well, he did then pushed away. It hurt Sarah, understandable. How much can a person hit a wall all the time? She reached her limit, sadly. Maybe she should have focused on Greylock instead of jumping straight into a relationship but alas, when someone is hurt: bad choices are made. One good thing it looks like Grover will be getting grief counseling and that will help him move on. 

As for the Greylock elections I liked them, especially when Maya won. 

The parallels between AJ and Sarah 👍 when it comes to their love life. 

Also the scenes between Corinne and Danny were gold and showed how he really sees her. 

Edited by tvwatchergordis
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, mommalib said:

So Grover's not ready to be with Sarah so the first thing she does is go and jump on another guy? Yeah I don't like Sarah. 

Didn't catch the epi yet... Is Grover bout to get Jimmy olsen'd??? 

I really hate this storyline with Sarah and the reporter, but not because of Grover. Sarah was way too forgiving of being compared to a dictator. Has Sarah had anyone tortured or murdered? Has she banned any religions? Tried to take over any neighboring countries? Then maybe the comparisons were a bit unfair and frankly insulting to people who suffered under dictators like Idi Amin and Mao Zedong. But does Sarah the history teacher point out any of this to him? Nope! Like so many women in literature, TV and movies, she proceeds to fall for the man who has treated her badly. What a great message for girls watching this show. 

(edited)

Sad to see Corinne lost, but I guess there would be no point to a 5 person council if Sarah had 3 votes locked in. This arrangement has a lot of potential for future storylines, since Sarah is gonna have to compromise a lot more to get anything done.

That Farnsby lady is annoying, but she's likely the best politician we've seen on the show (including the actual state governor) so Sarah should watch herself.

AJ's relationship really imploded there. It was sad to watch.

3 hours ago, Athena5217 said:

I really hate this storyline with Sarah and the reporter, but not because of Grover. Sarah was way too forgiving of being compared to a dictator. Has Sarah had anyone tortured or murdered? Has she banned any religions? Tried to take over any neighboring countries? Then maybe the comparisons were a bit unfair and frankly insulting to people who suffered under dictators like Idi Amin and Mao Zedong. But does Sarah the history teacher point out any of this to him? Nope! Like so many women in literature, TV and movies, she proceeds to fall for the man who has treated her badly. What a great message for girls watching this show. 

I get what you're saying but awkward word choice aside, he had a point about Sarah basically running the country without any oversight. She doesn't even listen to anyone who isn't her friend, family member or student.

Edited by Diapason Untuned

Of course, we need an inevitable love triangle situation with the lead character....spoiler alert, we really don't need it because we already know Sarah and Grover will end up together. Not that I hate reporter guy, because he makes some points about Sarah needing to govern with a council, not by herself, but still. I am also annoyed at the typical haters-turned-to-lovers trope. Oh look, conflict that ended in a romantic relationship! How original! And I'm not fond of the way Grover/Sarah were handled with his rejection and her deciding to go on a date right after. 

No surprise also that the Congress is literally made up of...Sarah's roommate and friend, Sarah's brother, one of Sarah's students and then Sarah's enemy. I think it would have been ideal to maybe introduce another character that's not connected to Sarah, but maybe someone else. 

Just because, for future conflict, the likely sides that there's going to be are Sarah's enemy and brother vs Sarah and either AJ or Maya with the other floating in between the two sides (I think AJ could be the more likely one to not choose Sarah every time).

I know that's how the show has to go, but still, it might have been interesting to see another character maybe connected to someone like AJ instead.

• Love 2

Wow, AJ was an A-hole this episode.  She seemed obsessed with verifying that Alexis was indeed pregnant, and then she went and outed the pregnancy to the husband.  Assuming that the husband knew about the pregnancy and then saying something about it in front of him was utterly moronic and unforgivable in my mind.  I mean, WTF, why would you do that?! Now Alexis has to either tell her husband that she already had an abortion, or she has to lie and tell him that she lost the baby. 

That Fernsby lady is 100% a terrible human being, but she made one good point: Sarah's brother, roommate, best friend, and former student were all running for seats on the new Congress (or whatever they called it).  Greylock absolutely needs some non-Sarah people in government (just wish it wasn't this terrible lady).  

Don't like Sarah and don't care about her love life.  She sucks.

I do like Corinne and Danny, but I'm not excited to see Corinne blow up her relationship with her husband and Danny blow up his relationship with his fiancee.  Hubby and fiancee seem like good people and don't deserve what is coming, but Corinne and Danny seem to have too much unfinished history there.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

Didn't catch the epi yet... Is Grover bout to get Jimmy olsen'd??? 

I don't know yet but it's always a possibility. I actually think Grover is being set up as Sarah's true love and this other guy is a pit stop.

It's not Sarah's fault that the winners were mostly all people in her friend and family zone, and she did a pretty good job of staying out of the election. But I agree that having opponents will make the situation more realistic. I don't think her brother will support her all the time, and the teenager is clearly not her fan anymore (what a brat!), but in politics the optics are significant, and governing is tough even in the best of circumstances.

I still wonder why they shipped off that teenager and the mom character. Are they going to come back? Are they going to agitate from outside? Did the actors become unavailable?

I hope they continue with "the affair ends badly" because I'm sick of seeing liars and cheaters get portrayed as true love with happy endings.

• Love 1
On 7/21/2021 at 2:14 PM, possibilities said:

It's not Sarah's fault that the winners were mostly all people in her friend and family zone, and she did a pretty good job of staying out of the election. But I agree that having opponents will make the situation more realistic.

It's not her fault, but it doesn't mean good things for the country itself.

I don't think her brother will support her all the time, and the teenager is clearly not her fan anymore (what a brat!), but in politics the optics are significant, and governing is tough even in the best of circumstances.

Her brother will support her for a quid pro quo. I don't think Maya's a brat because she upset she nearly got deported, but she's clearly not 100% Team Sarah anymore either.  Sarah seems to feel guilty about it, so she should really leverage that to get some stuff passed as soon as possible.

(edited)

Playing a little bit of catch-up right now.

Liz is clearly the worst, but I can't say she was 100% inaccurate that it wouldn't have been a good look for the new Congress if it all consist of Sarah's brother, roommate/friend, other friend, and star pupil, so I can see how that gave her the advantage (even if Sarah and Danny don't see eye to eye on a lot of things and Maya isn't currently Sarah's biggest fan at the moment.)  Still, she really is a piece of work.  Even if I can excuse her bringing up Corinne's son in the debate as "part of the game", doing things like openly gloating and mocking Corinne after beating her really doesn't put her in good light (especially since she still placed fourth, which means the majority of Greylock still preferred a high schooler and a guy who bailed on Greylock the first chance he got over her.)

While I'll miss seeing Nicola Correia-Damude here, AJ really has no one but herself to blame for torpedoing her relationship with Alexis like she did.  Granted, the whole relationship was a mess due to it being an affair and one that felt unnecessary, since I don't see why Alexis simply didn't ask for a divorce, since I can't see why she would be tied down to her marriage when it was clearly becoming a loveless one.

As much as I feel for Grover, I don't think Sarah owes it to him to continue to wait until he is ready: especially since it could very well never happen (I doubt it though.)  But the optics of her automatically going with the reporter right after is not a good look.  They should have at least waited another episode or something.  It also helps that I feel like I'm really suppose to find the reporter charming and interesting, but while I think the actor is okay in the role, he doesn't quite have the charisma that I think the role needed to pull off this sudden romance.

I still wonder why they shipped off that teenager and the mom character. Are they going to come back? Are they going to agitate from outside? Did the actors become unavailable?

Not sure about the other teenager, but it looks like Megan Follows directed both this episode and the next one, so maybe the mom's absence is to give her time to prep and direct without having to be on camera too.

Edited by thuganomics85