Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: What Remains

• Start Topic

As Pope handles Smurf's remains, Craig and Renn balance their old lives with being new parents; J finds a new job through an old contact, and Deran can't outrun his past with Adrian.

Air date: July 18, 2021

I had to laugh at poor Craig and Deran robbing the Silicon valley guys only to realize they're playing with cryptocurrency. Maybe they should look into that. Also Craig's anger at the scooters.

Did Pope pour the ashes all over himself?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

I had to laugh at poor Craig and Deran robbing the Silicon valley guys only to realize they're playing with cryptocurrency. Maybe they should look into that.

Nah, I'm with Craig on that one. "You guys suck at being rich!" 😄

We still have no idea how Smurf became this criminal mastermind. All I see from the flashbacks has been a reckless sociopath. Granted, she had enough smarts to know about the safety lock on the pistol. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

I swear in some scenes it looks like Ben Robson is wearing a bad wig. I wonder if some of this was shot out of sequence. Like maybe they do a lot of the exteriors first then go back and shoot the interiors.

I would also have sworn that was a different Pam than the one in the flashbacks last season but apparently not.

I'm willing to handwave the various framed photos of Daren and Adrian - they seem like unlikely things for Deran to have but maybe Adrian put them up. But starting a big bonfire right in the middle of your living room floor? C'mon. 

We still have no idea how Smurf became this criminal mastermind. All I see from the flashbacks has been a reckless sociopath.

Agreed. This just isn't getting us anywhere. And from what I remember this was about the age the kids were when Baz came into the picture, so she should be moving into her house any day now. She doesn't seem anywhere close to that at this point.

I'm really tired of the flashbacks because every single one of them is the same narrative: Oh look, Smurf is too cool for school. She's too cool. She's aloof and too cool. It's just the same thing, over and over. 

• Love 12

I love Shawn Hatosy, I really respect his work, but this odyssey with Pope and Smurf's ashes was laughable, and not in a good way.

On 7/20/2021 at 11:18 AM, arachne said:

We still have no idea how Smurf became this criminal mastermind.

To be fair to the writers, that's going to be a long story to tell.  When the series started Smurf was at the peak of her criminal mastermind powers.  I suspect it was a long road to get there.  But I do agree that we aren't even on the first step of that journey.  Smurf still has to meet a  young  Baz, still has two more men to meet and two more babies to birth.

20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This just isn't getting us anywhere. And from what I remember this was about the age the kids were when Baz came into the picture, so she should be moving into her house any day now. She doesn't seem anywhere close to that at this point.

Just the way Julia said that Andrew needed roots, I think that's how the season ends, with Smurf, Andrew and Julia (and maybe Craig's dad) finally getting the house we all know so well.

• Love 5

Smurf still has to meet a  young  Baz, still has two more men to meet and two more babies to birth.

She already knows Craig's father - it's Jake. 

Isn't this supposed to be the last season?

(edited)

Young Smurf is not capturing the character of old Smurf.  I am not seeing how young Smurf evolved into EB’s portrayal of her.  There are not even similar physical characteristics or mannerisms.   Wish they hadn’t gone the flashback route for the last season. 

Pope’s obsession with Smurf’s ashes took up way too much airtime.

Deran and Craig pulling that heist going all wrong was a sign of them missing a leader.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 6

I don't get "byte here and now." What's the pun?

That plane crash jobs sounds like a set up. The Codys are probably going to get robbed as soon as they come back with the drugs or whatever. They'll be unpaid contractors for whoever actually owns the stuff.

What did Pope do with Smurf's ashes? Sure hope he didn't snort them. 🥴

The origin story stuff with Smurf is boring me. Seems mostly like filler material, except for the parts showing how Pope got to be the way he is now.

It's amazing how quickly the Codys are falling apart without Smurf. Even J is struggling though he hides it well. Still wondering if any of them will be alive at the end.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

She already knows Craig's father - it's Jake. 

Isn't this supposed to be the last season?

They were renewed for a sixth and final season.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/animal-kingdom-renewed-sixth-final-season-tnt-1234673770/

41 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Pardon the ignorance, but who's Jake?  Was he on last season?  I thought last season's flashback scenes, like this season, are entirely unmemorable.

We've seen Jake in the present in earlier seasons and last season in flashbacks. He was in the crew Smurf was running with.

• Love 2

They were renewed for a sixth and final season.

Wait, I thought this was the last season. If I'd known they were going to stretch the end out for two seasons I wouldn't have started watching this one. Now I'm mad all over again about Ellen Barkin.

• Love 4

Deran and Craig pulling that heist going all wrong was a sign of them missing a leader.

Actually whenever Craig comes up with a job it usually goes pear shaped. Remember when they robbed the luxury yacht and ended up cutting off that lady's finger?

Pardon the ignorance, but who's Jake?  Was he on last season?  I thought last season's flashback scenes, like this season, are entirely unmemorable.

Yeah I don't blame you for not remembering. When the flashbacks first started in S04.E01 she was with Jake, and Colin was another member of that crew who originally wanted her gone. Then she ended up sleeping with Colin and ditching Jake. After she and Colin wound up at Colin's brother's compound and she had the babies, she wound up going back to Jake because she had nowhere else to go. In the present day we met Jake back in Season 2 when she asked him to scout out that guy who ditched her and her mom when she was a teenager - the guy who was selling flashy sports cars. She ended up shooting him.

What did Pope do with Smurf's ashes? Sure hope he didn't snort them. 🥴

It looked like he dumped them in the pool.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 7/20/2021 at 3:10 PM, iMonrey said:

This just isn't getting us anywhere. And from what I remember this was about the age the kids were when Baz came into the picture, so she should be moving into her house any day now. She doesn't seem anywhere close to that at this point.

I'm really tired of the flashbacks because every single one of them is the same narrative: Oh look, Smurf is too cool for school. She's too cool. She's aloof and too cool. It's just the same thing, over and over. 

On 7/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Young Smurf is not capturing the character of old Smurf.  I am not seeing how young Smurf evolved into EB’s portrayal of her.  There are not even similar physical characteristics or mannerisms.   Wish they hadn’t gone the flashback route for the last season. 

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

In the present day we met Jake back in Season 2 when she asked him to scout out that guy who ditched her and her mom when she was a teenager - the guy who was selling flashy sports cars. She ended up shooting him.

That season 2 actress oh so briefly portrayed more of a realistic version of what I could see young Smurf being. The overly bratty Smurf is some kind of trope that has nothing to do with what we saw for three seasons and gives validation that this device was just to get rid of Barkin. I'm fine with not seeing too much of the past, but how exactly has this version of Smurf kept 2 kids out of foster care (much less alive) for so long? 

I think we have a couple of years to get to Baz, but shouldn't Craig be showing up soon? 

• Love 3

Craig and Deran robbing those tech guys only to realize they were playing with cryptocurrency was hilarious, as was the main tech guy being all "ok Boomer" about Craig trying to find anything to steal from them. This just shows how much they need leadership, without Smurf everyone is falling apart, even J in his quiet way. 

Flashback Smurf still has a long way to go to get to the Smurf we all knew, she is less of a criminal mastermind now and more of a flighty idiot. You can see the low functioning sociopath in her now, impulsive, lacking in empathy, lack of understanding of consequences, I guess her journey is becoming the functional sociopath that led to her kids all being the well adjusted citizens we know that they will be. They might do a time skip with the flashbacks to when she meets Baz, and she should be having Craig pretty soon. 

• Love 2
On 7/20/2021 at 8:18 AM, arachne said:

Nah, I'm with Craig on that one. "You guys suck at being rich!" 😄

"Mayday, mayday, mayday.  This is the yacht Byte Here and Now.  We're disabled in the harbor, and, uh, we just ran out of cocaine."

• Love 2
On 7/23/2021 at 11:33 AM, tennisgurl said:

Craig and Deran robbing those tech guys only to realize they were playing with cryptocurrency was hilarious, as was the main tech guy being all "ok Boomer" about Craig trying to find anything to steal from them. This just shows how much they need leadership, without Smurf everyone is falling apart, even J in his quiet way. 

Flashback Smurf still has a long way to go to get to the Smurf we all knew, she is less of a criminal mastermind now and more of a flighty idiot. You can see the low functioning sociopath in her now, impulsive, lacking in empathy, lack of understanding of consequences, I guess her journey is becoming the functional sociopath that led to her kids all being the well adjusted citizens we know that they will be. They might do a time skip with the flashbacks to when she meets Baz, and she should be having Craig pretty soon. 

The poker game robbery reminded me of all the snark about the cash the Cody's got from the megachurch job. It is not just leadership but the world and potential targets  is changing faster than the brothers can adjust.

• Love 1