Type keyword(s) to search

Professor T (UK) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I still don't understand why Lisa (the boss of her boyfriend) looks so depressed all the time. Is it because of her father's dementia?

Partly.  She also has never solved a case.  That has to take a toll on one's self esteem.

26 minutes ago, Trey said:

According to Wikipedia, there are three more episodes.

Seasons 1 and 2 had six episodes each.

I'm very grateful T is out of jail.  Having Adam pick up Omar was a such a nice touch.  I'm hoping T leaves the Three Blind Mice cops and becomes a PI, with Omar as his Archie Goodwin.

Memo to Rabbit:  When the suspect's elderly mother figures out what happened before you can figure out means it's time for a career change.

I hope that is the last we see of the treacherous DCI Brand.  I was hoping T would push her off the roof.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I wonder who they will replace Brand with... unless they do send Prot T out on his own and dispense with the useless detectives entirely, they will have to show a new boss.

If Lisa never solved a case, why was she promoted?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

If Lisa never solved a case, why was she promoted?

Professor T, the advisor, who isn't a cop,  has solved every case thus far.  These cases, that T has solved, have been Lisa's cases.  Lisa gets some credit for solving the cases.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

I enjoyed the different setting of the prison (plus, he's released to solve cases, so he's only 'part-time' in the prison).  I liked his relationship with his cell mate and the prisoner who was innocent (and who he had come back for Omar).  I really didn't want the prison guard to be guilty as he did seem decent to the prisoners (and Jasper).  However, by the end of the 3rd episode I was ready to kill Brand for just sitting by and letting Jasper suffer the consequences of trying to protect her.  

It seems that Jasper's job was filled while he was in prison, so perhaps there will be a new setting for him as the show moves forward.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

It seems that Jasper's job was filled while he was in prison, so perhaps there will be a new setting for him as the show moves forward.

The dean(?) said in court that the replacement professor was not good, so possibly Jasper may get his position back.  On the other hand, the administration may be satisfied with a professor who doesn't make waves, even if he doesn't teach well.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Quote:

Partly.  She also has never solved a case.  That has to take a toll on one's self esteem.

Also, her promotion is still new, and she continues to pursue a relationship with her underling coworker. She has to feel like she’s walking on eggshells in all aspects of her life. The best thing she can do for herself is put some skilled care in place for her dad during work hours.

(edited)

So... Jasper was going to not even try to pump the dog's stomach, right? Just let the dog die without even trying.

And I think the lab guy should have been charged with more than "mercy killing". 

I liked the new boss a lot at first. But by the end of the episode, I wasn't sure. She's right that romantic partners working together can be problematic. Many workplaces do not allow it. And she is right that Jasper shooting a gun like that is a bad sign. And it's also true that no one on the staff, including her, seems to be capable of solving anything without Jasper. So... she's right but she's also wrong.

I do like that this (and a few other shows lately) suggest a lot of police are driven more by the desire to close a case than to actually solve it. I think that's a realism that has been absent from the police/detective genre, depressing as it is.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
(edited)

Easily the best episode of the season thus far.  I love the new gov, she's eons better than the loathsome Brand.  Plotwise, I enjoyed the mystery with another mystery inside it. And nothing beats a re-gifting chain of poison chocolates.

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

So... Jasper was going to not even try to pump the dog's stomach, right? Just let the dog die without even trying.

That's the way it looks!

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

And I think the lab guy should have been charged with more than "mercy killing". 

The new guv said he hadn't been charged with anything thus far, but he did buy the Redcaps the night before his assistant told him how the people were poisoned, which suggests he knew beforehand how the poison was administered and withheld the critical info so could kill his wife (with mercy, of course).  That would be a way nastier charge than mercy killing.

• Like 4
(edited)

He basically was willing to kill 20 people, including his wife. Negligent homicide? Accessory to mass murder? Plus the intentioinal murder of his wife.

I suppose some had died before he got the lab info, but still-- it was a lot of people after he got the info.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I suppose some had died before he got the lab info, but still-- it was a lot of people after he got the info.

I don't know the exact number but it was still a heinous act to take advantage of a major felony to commit your own major felony. 

Just the fact the the only poison Redcap left happened to be in the possession of the mother of the Professor who figured all this out has to be some kind of...coincidence!  😉

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

13 minutes ago, possibilities said:

He basically was willing to kill 20 people, including his wife. Negligent homicide? Accessory to mass murder? Plus the intentioinal murder of his wife.

Reckless indifference to human life.

I wonder if Jasper thought the dog was already dead or was just so taken aback by everything going on that he didn't know quite what to do. I was so happy to see Kafka hork up the poisoned chocolate, which, by the way, wasn't good for him even if not poisoned.

I loved Adelaide going on about how the dog had saved her life and Jasper is just "He wanted the chocolate".

I guess we'll see how the new boss works out - she seems okay so far. At least she is taking Jasper back - on probation but that's better than not at all. Now he just needs to get his job back.

I love these characters more every episode.

• Like 1

I wonder if Jasper will now go to the attic and find what Adelaide was looking for.  They have really got to get that story line moving along.

And now he's got his job back.

• Like 3

Did his mom fall? I thought at first that she had hanged herself, but I guess not.

Why woul dyou leave evidence for so many years?

Donkers isn't leaving the show is she? So she will be back soon, also?

It finally has sunk in for me that Jasper is depressed. He's not just OCD and/or nitpicky and/or neurodiverse and/or has PTSD. He also is unhappy. I would like to see a happy Jasper, but they don't seem to be headed in that direction.

And they didn't show us his alleged breakthrough. Or was it just that he admitted he needed help last week?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Did his mom fall? I thought at first that she had hanged herself, but I guess not.

Yes, she fell and ended up with a broken hip. But surgery went well.

• Like 2
(edited)

That rooftop's railing is barely knee high. I'm glad Prof T stays near the middle, and I hope it doesn't get too windy up there.

Glad the chairs at the conference had some space between them. Chairs like those usually have hooks that attach them together so closely that non-emaciated people cannot sit without squeezing.

It looked as if Prof T's mother fell. When she is able to talk, the conversation about why she was in the attic should be interesting.

ETA: Guessing that Kafka was barking more than usual, and the neighbor came to investigate and saw Mrs. T on the floor.

Edited by Driad
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

It finally has sunk in for me that Jasper is depressed. He's not just OCD and/or nitpicky and/or neurodiverse and/or has PTSD. He also is unhappy. I would like to see a happy Jasper, but they don't seem to be headed in that direction.

I don't think he's depressed or unhappy.  His circumstances have been awful lately.  Now that he's out of jail and back to work, he can focus on his childhood trauma with his therapist.  The professor is never going to be a bright, sunny Pollyanna.

• Like 2
(edited)

Prof T made a big breakthrough on this episode. 
Seb’s mother was unhinged, but still I was shocked by what she did to DS Donkers. I’m not ready to believe she doesn’t make it. Dang cliffhanger!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Just to add to the suspense, Naomi (actress who plays Donkers) is not pictured in S4,E1 cast list. 
The murdering mother was a fool to think she would get away with it. Certainly, they all should have suspected foul play from the beginning. Forget that Professor T told them to look for mud on the victim’s shoes, everyone should have noticed that she was drenched and dripping in the driver’s seat.

Poor Professor T, one step forward, two back. (sigh).

• Like 1

I'm surprised they wrapped up the mystery of Father Tempest's death so soon, although I am glad it's over.  

The identity of the killer was telegraphed in the first ten minutes.

While I was never impressed with Donckers and her boyfriend, I enjoyed the proposal scene, I was actually happy for him and her.

I hope Donckers comes back for season 4.

I was so impressed with Ben Miller's acting this episode.  Unbelievably good.

Favorite line:

Donckers (on Facetime):  Where are your gloves?

• Like 7

As soon as Donckers said yes to Dan's proposal I knew one of them was toast.

I certainly hope Donckers is back but I thought she was already dead  - maybe only mostly dead.

Spoiler

Per Season 4 news, she is really dead.

Jasper's breakthrough was wonderful to see. I'm glad his time of blaming his mother to accepting that she killed his father to save him was short.

Loved Adelaide being jealous of Snare's rapport with Kafka. 

News about Season 4 contains spoilers:

Professor T Season 4

• Like 3

A pretty good episode but yeah, pretty much knew whodunit as soon as we saw the young guy's mother. 

I'm really happy that Prof T didn't turn his mother in for murder.  His father sounded like a real brute and I wonder why Adelaide hadn't left him (maybe he was so abusive that she would've been even more frightened of leaving him).

Did Donkers actually get killed off?  If so, I wonder what will happen to her father or if the show will just drop that storyline?  

• Like 4

Why do the women cops, on these shows go to look for the perps alone. Nothing good ever comes of it.  Even men officers should wait for their partner/back up to show up.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
4 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Why do the women cops, on these shows go to look for the perps alone. Nothing good ever comes of it.  Even men officers should wait for their partner/back up to show up.  

Yes, this. I’m reading a series of mysteries, now up to book #9, and the main female character keeps doing this very thing. Worse, she never tells anyone where she has gone. 

• Sad 2
14 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Why do the women cops, on these shows go to look for the perps alone. Nothing good ever comes of it.  

This happened twice tonight on PBS, once with Donckers, and again with DI Ray.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

If Donckers died (in the line of duty), hopefully there would be enough insurance to keep her father in the home.

• Useful 2
14 hours ago, Driad said:

If Donckers died (in the line of duty), hopefully there would be enough insurance to keep her father in the home.

But no one with the memories to keep him in his own mind. 😮‍💨

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
On 7/24/2024 at 5:06 PM, possibilities said:

Just heartbreak. I hate that they did this.

So the same.  I'm hoping (though realize it's unlikely) that she isn't dead after all.

• Like 3