Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E13: Shellfishly Delicious

• Start Topic

I love dungeness crab. I'd never had it until I moved to northern California more than 10 years ago. I'd only had snow crab and Alaskan King crab before (and usually at Red Lobster LOL) and it was always an expensive treat. 

Here, in the winter, we have crab feeds as fundraisers, and it's almost always all-you-can-eat steamed crab served cold. No garnishes other than lemon and butter. I've had dungeness crab in restaurants cooked into pasta and on sandwiches, and one of the most popular items at a SF Giants game is a crab sandwich. I always get it when I go to a game. 

I don't know that I would have loved the way Dawn served the crab as it seems that this kind of crab is so good all by itself it doesn't need all of that heavy seasoned sauce with all of those other things that are present in a boil. However, the judges all seemed to love it, so what do I know? Shota's seemed the most appealing to me, both his hot and cold dishes, even if his sushi only had 1 piece. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GiandujaPie said:

I love dungeness crab. I'd never had it until I moved to northern California more than 10 years ago. I'd only had snow crab and Alaskan King crab before (and usually at Red Lobster LOL) and it was always an expensive treat. 

Here, in the winter, we have crab feeds as fundraisers, and it's almost always all-you-can-eat steamed crab served cold. No garnishes other than lemon and butter. I've had dungeness crab in restaurants cooked into pasta and on sandwiches, and one of the most popular items at a SF Giants game is a crab sandwich. I always get it when I go to a game. 

I don't know that I would have loved the way Dawn served the crab as it seems that this kind of crab is so good all by itself it doesn't need all of that heavy seasoned sauce with all of those other things that are present in a boil. However, the judges all seemed to love it, so what do I know? Shota's seemed the most appealing to me, both his hot and cold dishes, even if his sushi only had 1 piece. 

I also live in Northern California and enjoy the crab feeds each year.  We often buy a bag of leftover crab to take home and the next day my husband, who is Mexican, makes crab enchiladas with salsa verde.  Muy rico!

I was wondering if Dawn's sauce was similar to a cioppino type seasoning.  

• Love 6
(edited)
17 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

was wondering if Dawn's sauce was similar to a cioppino type seasoning.  

I don’t believe so, she specified that she was doing a take on a Viet Cajun boil which is extremely popular in Houston and Louisiana because of the large amount of Vietnamese who relocated to the gulf coast and so combined their flavors with Cajun flavors so it’s spicy and with tons of garlic butter and absolutely delicious.

There are several crawfish places that have popped up in different places around the US that also do a Viet Cajun sauce for their boils. If I am at home or staying at a place with a kitchen I always take the extra sauce home because it’s fabulous in noodles or even scrambled eggs in the morning. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
On 6/27/2021 at 8:20 AM, sharifa70 said:

Yep, that’s exactly right! 

There’s an interesting book called Astoria by Peter Stark. It gets a little too editorial at times (with more supposition than I like in a historical narrative), but it does tell a rather nail-biting story of the spectacular failure of Astor’s venture to set up an empire out here on the Pacific coast. 

I thought so too. 

The crabbing was when they were in the boats pulling up traps. The digging part was for the QF (clams).

ASTORIA by Washington Irving is a very good book.  Written in the mid 1800's.

18 hours ago, seltzer3 said:

Yeah I actually felt that the challenge was pretty difficult especially with the time management with the crab.

I was actually surprised none of them cut themselves.  I guess I'm pretty accident prone, but shelling crab is a nightmare.

Shota did cut himself badly and called for a medic.  He continued to work with one hand while his other hand was being bandaged behind his back.  It was impressive cooking; I think he had only five minutes to go at that point.

• Love 2

I like Kwame. I liked him during his Top Chef season and I've liked him every time he's been back on the show, including this season. I haven't seen him exhibit any behavior that could be considered in any way obnoxious.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
On 6/28/2021 at 5:23 AM, Yeah No said:

As to Maine lobster roll, I have actually never been impressed with it when having it in Maine itself, and I've had enough of them to finally reach that conclusion.  The locals seem to take letting the seafood itself shine to the extent of pretty much not adding any seasoning to it whatsoever.  While I love letting the seafood be the star, I do think it should be seasoned to some extent.  I prefer the lobster rolls here in CT.  I am a big fan of the hot buttered lobster roll, although the mayo kind can be good too.

The only reason I put up with a bun/roll at all is so I don't have a bare fistful of lobster.

And condolences on losing your mom. It's hard however long it's been.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Leeds said:

I think it's the weird wording of "melting linen" that is causing head scratching.

(By the way, it's almost 1am in Oregon.  Why are you still up?  :-)  Come to think of it, why am I?)

Didn't sleep well Sunday night so I fell asleep before 6:30pm and woke up around 9:30pm last night which meant that I wound up being awake until after 1am, lol.

4 hours ago, CatWarmer said:

Shota did cut himself badly and called for a medic.  He continued to work with one hand while his other hand was being bandaged behind his back.  It was impressive cooking; I think he had only five minutes to go at that point.

Wasn't that during the QF when he was shucking clams?

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/25/2021 at 9:14 AM, dubstepford wife said:

I've never had Dungeness crab, only blue crabs from the Chesapeake, but I know with blue crabs they can be both upscale and blue collar, depending on how you serve them.

Captain Billy's Crab House!! Not the fanciest, but the best. Old Bay forever!

@Leeds I think it's the weird wording of "melting linen" that is causing head scratching.

Probably a polyester napkin. Melting is right. Should never be in the kitchen due to that or the dining room, either, since they have the worst texture.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

@Leeds I think it's the weird wording of "melting linen" that is causing head scratching.

Probably a polyester napkin. Melting is right. Should never be in the kitchen due to that or the dining room, either, since they have the worst texture.

image.png

Polyester napkins should never be in the kitchen or anywhere other than the place bad ideas go as soon as they are formed (and subsequently melted).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ms Lark said:

Captain Billy's Crab House!! Not the fanciest, but the best. Old Bay forever!

image.png

image.png

Marylander here!  My husband is headed to get some Maryland blue crabs at this very moment.. I LOVE crabs!  My favorite way to eat them is straight out of the bag with Old Bay on them. Make a quick sauce and it is ON!

Never had Dungeness crabs.  Always mean to try one, just never have.  It’s on the list. 

• Love 4