Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Last night's dinner and this mornings breakfast was plain Greek yogurt, strawberries and some granola thrown in for good measure.  The kidlings had rotisserie chicken and french fries.

Tonight will be leftover chicken in cheese enchilada soup with avocado.

• Love 4

Dinner last night was spiralized zucchini "noodles" with lamb and feta meatballs, tomatoes and mushrooms.  I'm going to a concert tonight and my dinner will be appetizers from the pre-performance cocktail party. 

• Love 1

Beginning this past Saturday, I've managed to stay within my calorie count each day.  Tonight's dinner will be BBQ-d chicken thighs, a baked sweet potato with a little bit of 'butter'(-like substance) and a sprinkle of salt and a serving of Green Giant Steamable veggies--the one with carrots, snap peas, black beans and edamame in a butter sauce.  

• Love 2

Blech!  Tonight's supper featured a new recipe: cauliflower soup.  My sister found it in a blog and sent it to me so I tried it.  It required a bit of chopping too. And I tossed in extra seasonings too. Don't you hate it when you've spent quite a bit of time on a new recipe and then it's a bust?  Mr. P914 is going to finish it (first doctoring it up with some salsa and other ingredients).  Tomorrow I'll make Ina's Eggplant au Gratin, which I love. 

• Love 1

WF rotisserie chicken tonight, as it was a school night for me.  The hub roasted carrots and potatoes, and threw in some leftover broccoli at the end for the veggie.  Very yummy!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, harrie said:

WF rotisserie chicken tonight, as it was a school night for me.  The hub roasted carrots and potatoes, and threw in some leftover broccoli at the end for the veggie.  Very yummy!

You deserve it. Going to school at night isn't a cake walk. It paid off for me. You go!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I like Whole Foods rotisserie chickens...they're just the right size with enough left over to make sandwiches the next day (I love sliced chicken on toast).

Which flavour?  I can be boring and often buy the plain one (I can be more creative with leftovers that way).

Lunch today was grilled chicken sausage patties on rolls with some fruit and roasted Brussels sprouts. 

Dinner was London broil, McCains potato smiles and some mixed vegetables. 

Bith were successful with the kids. Two pairs of empty plates returned. 

• Love 2
On 10/7/2016 at 10:09 AM, annzeepark914 said:

@PRgal:  I'm kinda boring myself so I always get the plain (dislike bbq rotisserie chicken)...and the Peruvian ones are more expensive.

I'm not sure the WF near me has flavors or Peruvian ones - or am I reading something wrong?  Will have to look more closely next time around. 

Last night was  nachos topped with ground turkey, black beans and sweet potato. Yummy and super-filling. Tonight is a pork belly thing. Hoping for some lighter fare soon, but not complaining.

• Love 2

Well!  Finally, I made a good meal (after those 2 disastrous recipes: the cauliflower soup, and then the eye of round w/ cream of chicken soup + dried onion soup mix + white wine...blech!!!!!)  It was so nice to enjoy a tasty dinner for a change ;>)  I made Medallions of Pork, plus baked pilaf, plus a wonderful creative tossed salad (complete with slices of red plum + a dressing of 1/4 ginger dressing and 3/4 Wegmans peanut sauce).  I had to redeem myself!

• Love 3

I think tonight when I get home from work, since my kids are going to be at their aunt & uncle's house for dinner, I will put together this crazy good cabbage soup. I've made this before, and there's a reason it's got that many five-star ratings.

Plus, like a quart of it has like 100 calories or something crazy like that, which means I can work in some sort of rich food I don't normally eat on a weeknight tonight like some good bread and cheese.

• Love 1

I made a frittata with the rest of the eggs, potatoes, and asparagus in the house.

That sounds really good.  I occasionally make a frittata with eggs, potatoes, some onion and a little bacon.  I'll have to throw some asparagus in next time.

22 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

That sounds really good.  I occasionally make a frittata with eggs, potatoes, some onion and a little bacon.  I'll have to throw some asparagus in next time.

I forgot to add that I threw in a little half and half and cheese into the eggs and a dab of hot sauce.

• Love 3

I was just picturing the boneless chicken breast in my refrigerator and thinking about what to do with it.

Then I remembered it's Tuesday, which means I get home, scramble to feed the kids and quickly turn around my daughter out the door to dance.  Now the question is, what kind of leftovers... Oh! Meatballs. I'm good.

Looks like Wednesday is chicken night. Maybe I can come up with something today and be ready to cook it tomorrow when I get home. I can probably do better than just throwing it on the grill.

My kids love panko fried chicken. 

I just made my dinner - well, I'll actually eat it for several meals since I quite like it - a pasta salad of sorts.  Spaghetti noodles (cold), sliced chicken breasts, celery and carrots (both matchsticked) and Italian dressing.  We've never had a proper name for it but it was the kind of thing Mom made for picnics & bbqs.

I'll have to find something for the kids since that isn't their cup o'tea.

• Love 2

Two quick dishes made with boneless chicken breast I turn to frequently are:

- Spicy chicken and mushrooms, in which I sauté garlic, ginger, mushrooms, green onions and red pepper flakes with cubed chicken breast and then stir in some tamari, rice vinegar, and chopped cilantro at the end.

- Mushroom chicken, in which I sauté mushrooms and onion, add some chicken stock, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and thyme and simmer before adding a pat of butter and pouring it over baked chicken breasts.

And when tomatoes are in season, another quick dinner is to coat chicken breasts in Parmigiano-reggiano, cook in a hot skillet, and top them with chopped Roma tomatoes and basil.

• Love 4

Just got back from a roadtrip to NY/New England so thank goodness I had Trader Joe's chicken burgers in the freezer.  Thawed them quickly and served on hamburger buns.  Made corn with cream cheese and green chilies. A quick, no effort supper when I was too tired to really cook.

• Love 1

It's been a long week. I don't want to cook. And I don't want to eat out, or pick up food.  

I need to find somebody to invite me and my kids over for dinner. Or just my kids, which would leave me free to forage in the refrigerator and invent something to eat.

• Love 2

Tonight we're having a mix of chicken skewers, veggies and leftover, doggy bagged rice from a Chinese place we were at last night.  Their hotpot rice (more or less Chinese bibimbap) rocks!  Especially for a NICE Chinese restaurant (i.e. not a hole-in-the-wall)!

• Love 2

I'm kind of proud of myself because I can seldom cook without following someone else's recipe to the letter.  However, I'm trying to get rid of some foodstuffs that are moldering in my fridge and I came up with something that actually came out good.  I prepared a package of hash browns with cheese and while that was in the oven I sauteed some veggies and chopped up some ham and more cheese and mixed it all into eggs and half-and-half for a custard.  I poured it all over the baked hash browns and left it in the oven for another half hour.  Voila:  quiche with a potato crust!

• Love 5

That sounds great. I should see if I have a package of hash browns in the freezer.

Tonight I will probably throw something on the grill, because the oven is off limits until I can run it through a cleaning cycle.  I baked an apple pie yesterday (mmm... pie) and I forgot to put a pan under it. Now the bottom of my oven has a 3X3 area of apple pie ooze that will be a smoking mess until I get rid of it.

Spaghetti & meatballs.  I cheated and bought the meatballs at the Italian Gourmet Deli (their meatballs are better than mine but I'm not Italian so that's my excuse).

Hmmm...those meatballs were not better than mine, we discovered.  So, either theirs are getting worse or mine are getting better :>)

Edited by annzeepark914

I bought fried chicken from the deli/hot food section at Randalls.  We'll round out with fresh fruit and veggies.  I figure that way we can eat whenever we want and it won't matter if we get interrupted.

• Love 1

Comfort food:  Spaghetti with meat sauce.  As an added bonus, I got the chili grind on the ground beef.  Any recipe that starts with sauteed onions and garlic makes the house smell good.  Sauce is done and melllowing on low, so all I need to do before dinner is make the pasta.  We rotate between angel hair and thin spaghetti because Kid  1 prefers angel hair and Kid 2 slightly thicker noodles.