Type keyword(s) to search

Beat Shazam - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This musical-knowledge game show, hosted by Jamie Foxx with Corinne Foxx as DJ, returns to FOX after a nearly two-year absence on Thursday, June 3 at 8 PM.  (I hope that if anyone wins the million-dollar prize this season, they won't give it away in the commercials prior to the episode.  Another annoyance is that when I look at the list of press releases to see if a new episode is airing, they will have some cutesy title that gives away something pivotal to the episode--such as "It's All Riding on Rihanna" when the final song was from her.  I thought the category would be her songs, but it was only Pop, so it gave away some info.  They also had one giving away that someone would be playing for the million.)

• Love 1

I like the show, but it really takes a long time for them to get going at the beginning of the episode.  A couple times I would forget to turn over for the first 10 minutes (which I later watched on demand), and I'd only miss like three songs between the standard intro at the beginning, Corinne coming out from behind the podium to chat/joke, the contestant entrances, and the part in between songs where Jamie gets to know the contestants. 

Tonight I thought I would be rusty after so long, but I think I knew all but one of the multiple choice (or I guessed right sometimes).  I did better than usual at the end, only getting the first one wrong.  I thought it was the same incorrect Bruno Mars song as the woman who rang in, but I couldn't even think of the title of it.  I knew the Pink song at the end, but I wouldn't have gone for it with 2010s anyway because it's not a strength for me.  I noticed that they now only give the second-place team $1000 instead of half their bank!  I guess that getting rid of the random celebrity guest appearances (though they have celebrity contestants next week) and no longer playing Earth, Wind & Fire as the theme weren't enough in terms of cost-cutting measures.  I was shocked by this latest move, so it made me happy that the winning team won a whole lot of money.  Now if one team is way ahead, there's no incentive for the runners-up to even try the last few songs.  They did know most of the answers, just not as quickly.

I didn't notice any social distancing on this episode and there were a lot of people in the crowd, so unless everyone was vaccinated, I'm wondering if this was filmed a really long time ago (like February 2020).  I looked for a copyright date or something at the end, but it went too quickly.  I'm always a little uneasy at the end of the episode since the time when the in memoriam card came up for the guy who had just won a lot of money (he died of a heart attack a couple weeks after filming).  It was kind of funny that Jamie was going on about being the best song-identification show, like they were throwing shade at Name That Tune even though it's on the same network, but this could have been filmed way before that remake even existed and this is probably the case.

Oops, I guess I should have realized that if a show in its fourth season didn't have a thread, there was probably a reason (as in, lack of interest).  I will post about this latest episode though because I don't have anything better to do!  This was a pretty good game through the end of the last multiple choice round.  I thought Garcelle (whom I still remember from Models Inc.) and Dorit might have some trouble after that, but I didn't think they would suddenly not come close to naming a single song.  (Though Garcelle insisted she knew "Firework" but Dorit didn't give her a chance to speak.)  The songs actually seemed easier than usual, as most of the time I get nervous just playing along at home even though I have nothing on the line.  That was nice that they let Ludacris and Lorenz help so that the show could end on a high note of having one right, even though I guessed they would automatically give the ladies' charities $100,000 and there wasn't really a chance of them dropping back below what had been given to the third-place team.  At least they're generous with the charities even though they aren't with the runners-up in regular games anymore.  I was surprised Ludacris knew the sappy song, and he seemed to be as well.  I love "Baby Come Back" though, and it came up on my iPod later that night and I hadn't even known it was on there (I knew I had it on some compilation CD but didn't remember anything beyond that).

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, KWalkerInc said:

Oops, I guess I should have realized that if a show in its fourth season didn't have a thread, there was probably a reason (as in, lack of interest).  I will post about this latest episode though because I don't have anything better to do!  This was a pretty good game through the end of the last multiple choice round.  I thought Garcelle (whom I still remember from Models Inc.) and Dorit might have some trouble after that, but I didn't think they would suddenly not come close to naming a single song.  (Though Garcelle insisted she knew "Firework" but Dorit didn't give her a chance to speak.)  The songs actually seemed easier than usual, as most of the time I get nervous just playing along at home even though I have nothing on the line.  That was nice that they let Ludacris and Lorenz help so that the show could end on a high note of having one right, even though I guessed they would automatically give the ladies' charities $100,000 and there wasn't really a chance of them dropping back below what had been given to the third-place team.  At least they're generous with the charities even though they aren't with the runners-up in regular games anymore.  I was surprised Ludacris knew the sappy song, and he seemed to be as well.  I love "Baby Come Back" though, and it came up on my iPod later that night and I hadn't even known it was on there (I knew I had it on some compilation CD but didn't remember anything beyond that).

Oh, I love the show and have interest. It's just no fun commenting, when no one else is.

I had to fast forward the last run. They were so bad at it. I knew there was a reason why I wanted Tate and Luda to make it to the end.

• Love 2

"Songs for Dad" were all songs from Dad or had nothing to do with dads. Most Dad songs are about complicated relationships. 

I have never heard of that million dollar song. But I knew all the other songs on the way up to the million. I probably would have gone for it and regretted it.

• Love 1

Yeah, the theme was just an excuse to make things extra-sappy.  I had to warn a friend that they were doing another Father's Day episode because she has complained of them making her gag in the past.  I think last season, they had one song in the Shazam Shuffle where the category was songs written by dads for their kids or something like that, and I guessed "Isn't She Lovely?" by Stevie Wonder before they played the song.  There are others, of course, but maybe not big hits.

I didn't get the first two songs at the end.  I knew it was Beastie Boys but not the song, and then I figured I wouldn't get "Today's Hits."  I did get the last song, but I'm not sure I would have been fast enough, it would have been cutting it close.  It was smart that they didn't go for it because it wasn't in their wheelhouse.  Most of course go for it no matter what because "we didn't have this money before" or whatever.  And I guess the second-place team gets 10% of their total?  I hope no one will have to go home with $100 because that would be sad.

I've never seen this show before but I was interested to see how it compares to "Name That Tune" so I started watching the past few episodes.  On the whole, I think it is enjoyable, and I like Jamie Foxx, but there is way too much filler and faux-suspense.  I particularly cannot stand the pregnant pause when Jamie asks for the reveal of how much time each team took to respond.

I don't like the fact that there is a multiple choice, and that the songs are for the most part, way too easy.  As Jamie says, "these are the biggest songs".  So when the category is country and you hear Dolly Parton, of course it is "Jolene".

The DJ girl is completely extraneous.  I like her, but she's like Vanna White ever since Vanna stopped physically turning the tiles.  I don't believe for a second that she's actually deciding which song to cue up.  She's going through the motions of pushing a button but she does next to nothing.

I think in the end, what I would like is the format of "Name That Tune" but with Jamie Foxx and DJ girl in place of Jane Krakowski and Randy Jackson.  I also greatly prefer the live band and live singers on NTT to the prerecorded tracks on Beat Shazam.

10 hours ago, vibeology said:

"Songs for Dad" were all songs from Dad or had nothing to do with dads. Most Dad songs are about complicated relationships. 

I thought it just meant "songs that old people should know".  As a middle-aged dad, I wasn't sure whether to be flattered or offended.  My teenaged son kept yelling at me that "these are your songs" and I was all "excuse me, songs from the 60s and 70s and earlier are way before my time, I don't care how old you apparently think I am".

• Love 2
18 hours ago, blackwing said:

I've never seen this show before but I was interested to see how it compares to "Name That Tune" so I started watching the past few episodes.  On the whole, I think it is enjoyable, and I like Jamie Foxx, but there is way too much filler and faux-suspense.  I particularly cannot stand the pregnant pause when Jamie asks for the reveal of how much time each team took to respond.

I don't like the fact that there is a multiple choice, and that the songs are for the most part, way too easy.  As Jamie says, "these are the biggest songs".  So when the category is country and you hear Dolly Parton, of course it is "Jolene".

The DJ girl is completely extraneous.  I like her, but she's like Vanna White ever since Vanna stopped physically turning the tiles.  I don't believe for a second that she's actually deciding which song to cue up.  She's going through the motions of pushing a button but she does next to nothing.

I think in the end, what I would like is the format of "Name That Tune" but with Jamie Foxx and DJ girl in place of Jane Krakowski and Randy Jackson.  I also greatly prefer the live band and live singers on NTT to the prerecorded tracks on Beat Shazam.

I thought it just meant "songs that old people should know".  As a middle-aged dad, I wasn't sure whether to be flattered or offended.  My teenaged son kept yelling at me that "these are your songs" and I was all "excuse me, songs from the 60s and 70s and earlier are way before my time, I don't care how old you apparently think I am".

I’ve just started watching, too.  I also find it enjoyable.   I’m the opposite liking the real pre recorded songs.  You do know DJ girl is Foxx’s daughter right? Grin.

The first season, the DJ was October Gonzalez, the wife of former NFL star (and two-sport college star) Tony Gonzalez.  Even though Corinne has been on for years now, my friend will still periodically complain that they were "mean" to drop DJ October so that Jamie could work with his daughter.

• Love 1

I used always want to do this show because even the second place team got half their bank. Great pay outs on this show. But, they seem to have altered that.

The last round the past two weeks has been ROUGH. I see why they started with the team killing it in the first episode. 

I think it's always good to remember the on the spot nature though. Brain freeze under the hot lights is real. I get it at home.

I never would have missed intergalactic though.

• Love 1
On 6/19/2021 at 3:22 AM, Diana Berry said:

I’ve just started watching, too.  I also find it enjoyable.   I’m the opposite liking the real pre recorded songs.  You do know DJ girl is Foxx’s daughter right? Grin.

Hah... I did not, when I first posted.  I was fast forwarding through a lot of the filler and it was only until I watched another episode last night that I heard her calling him "Dad" and then saw her name in the credits.

• LOL 1

Another team falls victim to the theory of "We won't see this much money again, so we have to go for it even though we haven't gotten very many right and aren't likely to win."  I guess they thought they knew the 2010s because their students talk about the music.  I couldn't think of the title of that one, but the one that bugs me was that I didn't get "Tom Sawyer."  It's been awhile, but I heard that so many times on the classic rock station where it was practically played on a loop.  The other one I didn't know was the Jason Derulo song, but what was odd was that when they made their guess of "Talk Dirty to Me," my brain somehow recalled hearing of this song and that it was actually just called "Talk Dirty."  ("Talk Dirty to Me" is a Poison song from 6th grade for me.)

• Love 1

Literally when I saw the topic as duets in the final round I thought they would play the boy is mine. I don't even know why I saw it coming. I would have just walked away with that 98,000. Although, I would have got Tom Sawyer. 

• Love 1

I don't blame them for going for it... $49K is still a lot of money, even after taking into account taxes.  The blonde that said she only gets $100 to spend on classroom supplies and the money would help her in her teaching, I really felt for her.  But what I didn't appreciate was Jamie saying "our teachers are so underpaid they deserve more" or something like that.  He's like a jamillionaire, he could easily afford to make a few donations to each of those contestants' schools.

The two that made it to the final were dominating anyways and were almost certainly going to be the last team surviving.  I was rooting for the other two ladies... but honestly, they missed on one of Aretha's most iconic songs?  Loved Jamie's comment about all the African-American people watching at home and thinking "oh my".  Yep.  I knew it was completely over for them when "Green Day" was a category.  It was obvious they had never heard of any of the songs before and were just randomly guessing, that's how they won the one time, because they just lock in a random answer instantly.

I thought "Green Day" was a bit too specific of a category for that round and that kind of money.  I don't know if I could even name any Green Day songs beyond the ones that were used in the category.  It'd be like if "Cyndi Lauper" was a category.  "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", "Time After Time", "She Bop", "True Colours", and.... ????  As Jamie said, these are the most well known instantly recognisable songs, and I'm not sure if there are any more than that which would qualify as "biggest songs".

• Love 1
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I don't blame them for going for it... $49K is still a lot of money, even after taking into account taxes.  The blonde that said she only gets $100 to spend on classroom supplies and the money would help her in her teaching, I really felt for her.  But what I didn't appreciate was Jamie saying "our teachers are so underpaid they deserve more" or something like that.  He's like a jamillionaire, he could easily afford to make a few donations to each of those contestants' schools.

The two that made it to the final were dominating anyways and were almost certainly going to be the last team surviving.  I was rooting for the other two ladies... but honestly, they missed on one of Aretha's most iconic songs?  Loved Jamie's comment about all the African-American people watching at home and thinking "oh my".  Yep.  I knew it was completely over for them when "Green Day" was a category.  It was obvious they had never heard of any of the songs before and were just randomly guessing, that's how they won the one time, because they just lock in a random answer instantly.

I thought "Green Day" was a bit too specific of a category for that round and that kind of money.  I don't know if I could even name any Green Day songs beyond the ones that were used in the category.  It'd be like if "Cyndi Lauper" was a category.  "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", "Time After Time", "She Bop", "True Colours", and.... ????  As Jamie said, these are the most well known instantly recognisable songs, and I'm not sure if there are any more than that which would qualify as "biggest songs".

I do blame them. They were are nearly 100k and struggled in the final round with a super open category. Sometimes you need to know when to fold. I get the desire to go all the way but I wouldn't have tried it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Colleen was a really good player in tonight's episode, and I respect that she decided to walk away and didn't get too upset when she did turn out to know the last song.  I was annoyed with John when he kept trying to pressure her to go for it when SHE was the one who would be playing and clearly did not feel comfortable with the category.  I wonder if John and the other guy (Colleen's husband, I think) needed a lot of Advil after they decided to try breakdancing at the end of the show.  The Olympians probably thought it was funny because they were very nice and supportive.  I was doing fine in the final round until it got to the last of the five songs.  I thought of Sublime at first and started thinking of their songs, and by the time I realized it wasn't and that the song was a one-word title, she had already gotten it.

In the earlier rounds, I can see not knowing "Circles" by Post Malone because it's newer (I'm really bad at new songs but this one would often play on the Soft Rock channel on Music Choice), but I was surprised no one got "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips--and that they all gave the same wrong answer.  They've made the multiple choice a lot easier this season, often with only one song that's even a real title and not always having a second choice by the artist.  Maybe that's to compensate for not only the lower pay-out to the second place team, but offering less money per song in the "Without Words" round.

ETA: I would have also picked Number One Hits for "That's My Jam" because it's likely easier, but I'm curious about what they would have played for "Uncharted."  I assume that's for album tracks that ended up becoming classics and getting airplay later on.  The one that comes to mind is "Reasons" by Earth, Wind & Fire.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added thoughts on Uncharted.

Colleen was great. It hurt that she had that minor slip up on one question and passed on one she ended up knowing. I wonder if she would have went for it if a million was at stake.

• Love 1

I was confused as well.  I think that John connected with the daughter of Colleen's friend through the app and Colleen didn't like the age difference, but then once she met John they became good friends.

Colleen was really good. All 3 teams were good it was just a matter of who could lock in the fastest. I wish Jamie would've asked the Olympians if they are still competing or if they won medals? 

Wow, this show got cheap. I wonder if Jamie asked for a huge raise in pay and that's why the contestants don't get half their bank anymore? If you're going to do that just give 3rd place $2,000 ($1,000 each) and 2nd place $4,000 ($2,000 each). I mean these people have to buy plane tickets and pay for a hotel room plus food.

• Love 1

I know they wanted a gimmick to make things different, but I was getting really tired of having to hear about how it was the biggest episode ever because of the two-million dollars.  I think the studio audience was tired of Jamie making them chant about it too.  It was hard to get worked up over it when it was so unlikely to come into play.  There have probably been around 50 episodes and only 4 teams have gotten to the million-dollar song, so I was just like, "It's not going to happen!" every time it the two million was mentioned.  Maybe I was cranky, as I also got tired of some of Jamie's jokes.  I wasn't very nice about the winners and their efforts either, although at least they didn't blow half their bank, so I give them credit for realizing it wasn't their night.  The daughter even basically said that they would have gone for it if they had been doing better.  I was surprised to get all the songs when I hadn't even done too well with the multiple choice (especially dance crazes, other than "The Twist."  I knew that category wasn't going to go well for me).  I wonder if Paula Abdul enjoyed the random mention when they were deliberating whether they should go for it.  I also thought that when the category was '90s and Jamie tried to get them relax and "free your mind," it would have been funny if "Free Your Mind" by En Vogue had been the song.

I can comfortably say I've never heard that last song in my life. 

The Dad was not pulling his weight when it counted. 

I knew they would not be getting two million either.

• Love 1

I think I know most songs from 1988-89 because I had nothing better to do than record all the songs played on the radio and play back the tapes.  But I actually had Escape Club's album because I guess I liked "Wild Wild West" and its weird video and the one other song from that album that got airplay.

Aside from Colleen a couple weeks ago and the team in the season premiere, they really haven't had much luck with the winners making a good run at the end.  (I'm not judging them, as I get nervous playing in my living room and would forget my own name if I even went to a tryout, let alone being on the air.)  They seemed smart to not go for it even though she did know the song after all.  It was funny after they had mistaken "Best of My Love" for "Got to Be Real" and Jamie was asking the audience if they were right, they panned to a woman shaking her head disgustedly!  It was odd that again it felt like the songs in the final round were easier than some of the ones in the multiple choice.  But there was one early song where I got it right despite never hearing the song before, and all three teams were wrong.  They have a time crunch of course, but usually they know that the correct answer is not going to include the lyrics played in the snippet.  It was very competitive between the top two though; it was nice that the second-place team did pretty well and wasn't just on to have another grandma hitting on Jamie.

I legitimately stopped paying attention to the episode because I was so sure they wouldn't go for the big money. Their whole last round was super shaky. Can't believe they went for it.

It seemed like they just resigned themselves to the fact that they would lose half the money and gave no thought to the possibility of walking away.  As they talked before the commercial, the woman who wasn't going to play told her friend "Even if you don't know it, hit the freaking buzzer" as if the answer would just magically come to her somehow.  I figured they weren't going to do well because the production code for the episode (on the press release) listed it as the first one filmed of the season, and there would have been no reason to skip over it for so long if a team had gotten a lot of money.

The weird thing is that the contestants usually do much better at the end than I do, but not this season.  They probably cast mostly for personality anyway, with any knowledge of songs as a bonus.  And for this season, it wouldn't surprise me if they were happy to not give away a lot of money given all their cuts.  At the beginning when Jamie and Corinne were talking about how much money they've given away and she wondered how much they'd give away this season, I was heckling them, "Not that much!"

Next week is a rerun followed by two weeks of preemptions for sports.  I think August 19 will be the season finale, because when they list rules for the at-home game, it always says it ends August 23, so it wouldn't be likely for there to be an episode after that.  That would only be 9 episodes when the production codes listed the celebrity one as the 10th filmed, but maybe there will be another Christmas episode.  The other seasons each had 14 episodes--another case of FOX getting cheap now!

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

The other seasons each had 14 episodes--another case of FOX getting cheap now!

Wow! I have to wonder if it's because Jamie's price for hosting has skyrocketed? I've noticed if the team that leaves first has only banked $8,000 Corinne doesn't say "your not walking away empty handed you have x-amount of $" because since they started only giving them 10 percent instead of half their bank that $8,000 would only be $800 so she doesn't say it anymore if it's less then $10,000.

It's probably just me but Jamie doesn't seem to be interested in these people when he interviews them. And I wish these people would stop making fools of themselves when they fawn all over Jamie or go out on the floor dancing. I tune in for the game not that crap.

• Love 1
On 7/24/2021 at 11:51 AM, foxfreakinmulder said:

And I wish these people would stop making fools of themselves when they fawn all over Jamie or go out on the floor dancing. I tune in for the game not that crap.

Yes, it is very annoying.  They've probably stretched that stuff out even more than the first couple seasons to fill the time they used to devote to useless celebrity guests.  (Because they can't spend it on the game!)  One part that annoys me more than it should is after Jamie introduces Corinne, she has to walk all the way out from behind the podium to join him in the middle of the floor, then walk back after their bantering.  She's already behind the podium, so why can't he just walk over to it and chat with her there instead of more time-wasting?  Or he could just introduce her and have her walk out from backstage, chat on her way to her spot.  It bugs me, and I don't really know why!

• Love 1

It turns out that the season finale is going to be August 19, but they're also having a new episode on Wednesday, August 18 at 9 PM for some reason.  So there are just ten episodes, with no Christmas episode.

• Useful 1

I caught up on the two most recent episodes... the $2 million episode and then the one with Grandma Karen.  Does anyone else completely lose interest when their team goes home?  In the $2 million, I found the team of the father/daughter really annoying, and when they beat out the team I liked, I actively rooted against them. 

In the Grandma episode, I liked the twins Iman and Imari, but they really should have picked the 80s music in That's My Jam.  They thought they were going to get all these 70s disco dance hits like "Ring My Bell" and there was none of that.  Then I was so pulling for Karen and her granddaughter and thought this was a perfect setup... grandma gets all the songs from 50s, 60s and 70s and the granddaughter gets the more current stuff.  I found the brother in the brother/sister team really irritating and I was not unhappy when they biffed the final three songs in the money round.

There is still a ton of filler on this show, which is why I watch on DVR.  I know there is time to fill, but really, the "suspense" when Jamie reveals the time of each team one by one... so unnecessary.  Also, the agonising decision of whether the final team is going to go for the money, that's easily 3 or 4 wasted minutes.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, that was awful!  I wonder if this was the first time that the winning team didn't get any right in the final round.  Of course, the celebrity team with Garcelle and the other woman from the Housewives only got one with help, but that doesn't really count because I doubt they were screened to see if they could play.  The only good part of last night's finale was when Karly said they weren't going to go for it.  I was thrown off by her speech and thought she was going to say that because they had a lot of financial obligations, they were going to try to double their money.  Fortunately she stuck to her guns.  The press release for this episode was titled something about their "Most Shocking Show," so I kind of guessed they were coming back to win after they were down by $30,000.  When I mentioned that title to a friend earlier, she speculated that someone would get all the songs at the end wrong and then go for it and lose half their bank.  She was almost totally right!  Maybe that was why this episode didn't air in the regular time slot:  they were trying to hide it at a time when no one would see it.

I had my streak of getting songs in the final round right broken with the Beach Boys song, but most of the others were good although I still had trouble spitting out the answers a couple times.  In the Shazam Shuffle when everyone got "Good Lovin'" wrong, I was embarrassed that I only knew it because I remembered Bruce Willis singing it on the soundtrack from Moonlighting after he performed it on the "Atomic Shakespeare" episode.

ETA:  I'm glad that the winners of the finale at least got a couple right at the end (and decided not to go for it).  I did pretty well at the end, but I didn't get the Katy Perry song until they were about to reveal the answer after discussing it for a minute, so that doesn't really count!  I know this season was shorter, but I think there were only two teams that were really successful.  The ratings have been okay for a summer show, and even the one on Wednesday after it hadn't been on for weeks stayed steady.  Whether the show has another season probably depends on the budget and Jamie's availability, but I wonder if they're also running out of interested contestants who can play well.

That was interesting when they showed the sonogram of the previous team's baby and Jamie seemed to think it was Corinne's.  I wonder if she really wanted to mess with him or if he was acting.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Thoughs on finale.
  • Love 1

For anyone who has been thinking, "I really want to celebrate New Year's Eve by watching a two-plus-year-old Christmas episode of Beat Shazam that's already been on like four times," you're in luck!  It's on at 8 PM Friday.  I know FOX had time to fill after cancelling their New Year's Eve show, but this is the best they could do?  They have about 18 shows with Gordon Ramsay that they could probably go to.  This also seems to show the lack of popularity of season 4, as other seasons were rerun countless times and this one not at all.  It's true that most of the episodes didn't end in a lot of success for the contestants, but someone watching the episodes for the first time wouldn't know that.

ETA: It turns out this is only the third time they're showing the old Christmas episode.  It probably seemed like more to me because I watched it an extra time when a friend was visiting for New Year's two years ago because she forgot to watch it when it aired.  Also, they reran season three so many times I assumed it was on more than twice!

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added clarification on Christmas ep. airings.
  • Love 1

After reading of the surprising upcoming return of Name That Tune, I was looking for any updates on this show, one way or the other.  I didn't see any news, but there was an interesting article from a newspaper about a duo that won an episode last season.  They taped their show in early March of 2020 (I suspected that this was the case because there were no signs of any social distancing) and it aired on June 24, 2021.  They were interviewed after the finale aired in August, and still hadn't received their winnings or heard from the show at all!  I hope they eventually got their money.  I understand that they if they got a bunch of money before it aired it would give away what happened, but things should have gone into motion after the episode aired.  They're not actually complaining in the article, they just mention it at the beginning before it goes into how they got on the show and their experiences there.

https://www.camdenarknews.com/news/2021/aug/25/beat-shazam-contestants-awaiting-winnings-after/

• Useful 2
(edited)

I just read an article claiming that the show is going to record episodes in Dublin, as Name That Tune did.  However, I am hesitant to link to it because it seemed to be a tabloid so I am skeptical.  The info they give about NTT in it seems to be accurate, but they seem to base everything about this show on a brief Google search.  They mistakenly refer to Corinne as "Connie" and mention October as part of the show even though she hasn't been on for years.  They were at least accurate when listing past guest stars and the fact that Demi Lovato's episode was postponed after their overdose and they were edited out when the episode aired.  Of course, because of the source, I didn't really believe NTT was filming in Dublin at first either and it did, so maybe something more concrete will come out later.

ETA:  They must be filming/have filmed somewhere, because the season premiere is Monday, May 23 at 9 PM.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/fox-summer-premiere-dates-so-you-think-you-can-dance-masterchef-1234994905/

Edited by KWalkerInc
Link about season premiere date.
On 6/18/2021 at 9:52 AM, blackwing said:

That may be true, blackwing, but she's GORGEOUS!😍

• Love 1

I'm glad that they had a decent start to the season, even though they ended up losing half their bank.  Whitney was a good player and I didn't blame her for going for it in a category of music she loved.  Maybe she just felt the pressure too much at the end.  After they'd gotten four of the first five, I said it was too bad they didn't know disco, but it's probably for the best they didn't, as otherwise they would have lost on the million and Whitney would have felt even worse.

It seemed like the songs were pretty easy in the multiple choice portion compared to past years.  Now it seems like it's the right answer, maybe a second song by that artist, some other song and some random thing that's not a song (sometimes a lyric from the song).  Or sometimes the correct song seemed to be the only option that was actually a song at all.  I don't think they're doing that weekly contest where people can win $10,000 (unless I just didn't pay attention when it was mentioned), so maybe that's why it's become easier. 

I was glad that Corinne "picked" Journey in the third round.  My friend and I always joke about Corinne's Choice being picked by the producers, but I think she's a producer too, so maybe she's involved.

• Love 2

I thought it a bit odd that I think "Name That Tune", "Beat Shazam" and "Don't Forget the Lyrics" all aired on Fox on Monday and Tuesday.  I realise that NTT season finale was last night (I think) but still seems odd for one network to put so much airtime onto generally similar song identification game shows.

I agree that the songs were really easy.  There's still way too much filler on this show.  I try to fast forward the Jamie bit in the beginning, the introductions, the showing of the times one-by-painful-one when multiple teams are correct.

I didn't care for the two women who I think were trash collectors.  They were high flying in the beginning and dominant, and then the brother/sister team caught up and overtook them.  The blonde in particular annoyed me, she looked a lot like Sarah Paulson.

I was convinced that Whitney was going to win the big money.  Her brother looked crestfallen.  But still, overall a decent performance.

The one thing on this show that never gets old to me is when Jamie gives the black contestants a hard time for not knowing a song by an iconic black artist that he thinks they should have known.  He didn't say anything this time, he just gave them "the look".  I chuckled the one time last season when he said something like "100,000 black people are sitting at home on their couch saying 'I can't BELIEVE those two don't know that' ".

Jamie is great on this show.  It's been a while since he was guessed on "The Masked Singer", I would not at all be surprised if he shows up in Season 8.

• Love 1

It looks like FOX has a bunch of repeat airings scheduled for Sundays throughout the summer, so hopefully that means they know they have episodes that are worth watching.  Last year, there were barely any reruns at all, for good reason (and that was after the episodes were shelved for like a year and a half).  But so far the winners have done well in the final round.  I didn't get the last song this time, so I can't joke to my friend that I won "an imaginary million dollars," like I do if I get all six.  I knew during the "That's My Jam" round that it would be a disaster for me when the contestants were all into 2020s songs.  I even will put on Hit List channel on Music Choice during my late-night snack to try to be more famililar with current songs, but I obviously didn't know most of them that well.

With the show filming in Dublin now, I wonder how much the studio audience knows about the show and its format.  Have they watched the show or do they just get coached about what to yell out at certain times?  Probably the latter.  I was also wondering if they film it the same place that they filmed Name That Tune.  I couldn't really tell.

I'm not sure how much I liked the winning team this week, but it's nice that the show is back to bigger winners after last season's many problems.  I figured they would go for it at the end even though they'd only gotten two right.  (I can also tell by how much time is left, like last week I knew they were walking away because there wasn't enough time left to be super dramatic if they went for it.)  It usually doesn't end up working out as well as it did for these guys.  I would have been felled by the earlier country song, which I didn't know at all.  I also didn't know the Chili Peppers song in "Without Words."  Maybe it's more recent, as I'm not sure I know many rock songs newer than 2003 or so.  I was glad to see that they made the multiple choice in Without Words more challenging (probably because of more money on the line) than the previous round.  The Supremes category was ridiculously easy; they didn't even offer a second Supremes song as an option on any of the four songs.

That little skit that Jamie and Corinne did at the beginning (where she was pretending to cry) was really cringeworthy.  Even the studio audience seemed bewildered.  I don't mind the parts where everyone starts dancing, as at least that's fun.

• Love 2

I'm not positive, but I think the third team lasted the same amount of time as the previous show (unless you mean they spent less time consoling them at the end and just told them to get out).  In the first season or two, I remember that they would sometimes have more songs in the first rounds in some episodes than others.  I didn't think that was really fair.  Of course, they wouldn't do that now because they're determined to count every dollar that they give away, so not going to have extra songs.

It was nice in tonight's episode (Father-Daughter) that both members of the winning team contributed during the final round, with the daughter getting two right and the end one and the dad getting "Jive Talkin'" (and of course he realized the Prince answer after saying the wrong one).  A lot of times, one of the players doesn't really do much at all.  Even if the daughter weren't so fast, I probably wouldn't have gotten Ariana Grande.  I recognized her voice, but she has a lot of songs and I don't really know them all, or at least not well enough to process in a few seconds.  "At Last" of course really is a staple for weddings, but it made me laugh because when they played it after the ceremony at a childhood friend's wedding, the guests began laughing.  I think it was meant as an inside joke because he and the bride had been together a while and people weren't sure they'd ever marry. 

• Love 1

I know!  It seems like that is one of the most played songs ever, although it might just feel that way to me because it's on so many of the compilation CDs I would buy in the '90s-early 2000s when I was always at Circuit City.  I'm sure they're younger than I am, but they had studied a lot, so I was surprised.  I liked the one lady's comment after they got "How Do I Live?" right about how it was one of the three country songs she knew or something like that.  I'm not quite that bad, but when country came up, I was grousing that it didn't have to be in the final round every week (because I get it wrong unless it's a crossover song).  And for some reason I thought that the Puffy song was called "(I'll Be) Missing You," but obviously not, since they don't mess around with songs that have parentheses in the final round.

I was surprised to discover that I actually know more songs by Drake than I thought I did.  I probably know about five titles out of all the songs he's done, but they happened to play four of them.  It's interesting that they must have filmed these much closer to air date than they did in the past (obviously better than last year's), because I think the Harry Styles song they played in the Shazam Shuffle is still #1 on the Hot 100.

3 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I was surprised to discover that I actually know more songs by Drake than I thought I did.  I probably know about five titles out of all the songs he's done, but they happened to play four of them. 

LOL, Mr Walker, because I thought the EXACT same thing!😎

• LOL 1
(edited)

I felt really inept after the final round of this week's show, even though I know there have been a lot of episodes (before last year anyway) where I didn't get a lot right.  I sort of got Rihanna, but said it the same time as the lady, and I recognized Harry Styles but didn't say the title (I think I was psyched out by the Today's Hits category).  That's fine, but I can't believe I was blanking on the title of "Mrs. Robinson"!  My excuse is that I was really rooting for these nice ladies to do well (and the daughter seemed nervous so it was surprising she could do so great) and I got too wrapped up on whether the daughter was going to get the answer on that one to remember it myself. 

It seems like funk is this season's disco, in that they almost always offer it as an option in That's My Jam and it doesn't get picked, which makes me sad.  Classic Rock wasn't too hard though.  It's interesting how the degree of difficulty in the multiple choice varies so much.  They tried to make the Whitney song in Shazam Shuffle harder by offering three of her songs and a Janet Jackson song; no made-up titles like they usually have.

It was a funny coincidence that they had the Mariah category, because after her surprise cameo on the BET Awards last night, I thought of her appearance on this show.  Most celebrities would perform or hang out for a bit, but she just strolled on, sat at a keyboard for a second without singing, and then was off again.  That was when they thought the celebrities could get them publicity and help ratings.  Her appearance alone probably cost so much that that is why they've had to cut down so much on what they give to the contestants nowadays!

The next two weeks (at least) are reruns, plus they'll start showing reruns on Sunday nights beginning July 10.  Hopefully they'll go back to new episodes by July 18.  The info on Futon Critic says the show runs through Labor Day.

ETA: There is a new episode July 18.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added info on next new show.
  • Love 1