Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
KWalkerInc

Beat Shazam

This musical-knowledge game show, hosted by Jamie Foxx with Corinne Foxx as DJ, returns to FOX after a nearly two-year absence on Thursday, June 3 at 8 PM.  (I hope that if anyone wins the million-dollar prize this season, they won't give it away in the commercials prior to the episode.  Another annoyance is that when I look at the list of press releases to see if a new episode is airing, they will have some cutesy title that gives away something pivotal to the episode--such as "It's All Riding on Rihanna" when the final song was from her.  I thought the category would be her songs, but it was only Pop, so it gave away some info.  They also had one giving away that someone would be playing for the million.)

I tried watching this once and although I love music trivia, all the hoopla and insanity of the show was torture to me.

I like the show, but it really takes a long time for them to get going at the beginning of the episode.  A couple times I would forget to turn over for the first 10 minutes (which I later watched on demand), and I'd only miss like three songs between the standard intro at the beginning, Corinne coming out from behind the podium to chat/joke, the contestant entrances, and the part in between songs where Jamie gets to know the contestants. 

Tonight I thought I would be rusty after so long, but I think I knew all but one of the multiple choice (or I guessed right sometimes).  I did better than usual at the end, only getting the first one wrong.  I thought it was the same incorrect Bruno Mars song as the woman who rang in, but I couldn't even think of the title of it.  I knew the Pink song at the end, but I wouldn't have gone for it with 2010s anyway because it's not a strength for me.  I noticed that they now only give the second-place team $1000 instead of half their bank!  I guess that getting rid of the random celebrity guest appearances (though they have celebrity contestants next week) and no longer playing Earth, Wind & Fire as the theme weren't enough in terms of cost-cutting measures.  I was shocked by this latest move, so it made me happy that the winning team won a whole lot of money.  Now if one team is way ahead, there's no incentive for the runners-up to even try the last few songs.  They did know most of the answers, just not as quickly.

I didn't notice any social distancing on this episode and there were a lot of people in the crowd, so unless everyone was vaccinated, I'm wondering if this was filmed a really long time ago (like February 2020).  I looked for a copyright date or something at the end, but it went too quickly.  I'm always a little uneasy at the end of the episode since the time when the in memoriam card came up for the guy who had just won a lot of money (he died of a heart attack a couple weeks after filming).  It was kind of funny that Jamie was going on about being the best song-identification show, like they were throwing shade at Name That Tune even though it's on the same network, but this could have been filmed way before that remake even existed and this is probably the case.

Oops, I guess I should have realized that if a show in its fourth season didn't have a thread, there was probably a reason (as in, lack of interest).  I will post about this latest episode though because I don't have anything better to do!  This was a pretty good game through the end of the last multiple choice round.  I thought Garcelle (whom I still remember from Models Inc.) and Dorit might have some trouble after that, but I didn't think they would suddenly not come close to naming a single song.  (Though Garcelle insisted she knew "Firework" but Dorit didn't give her a chance to speak.)  The songs actually seemed easier than usual, as most of the time I get nervous just playing along at home even though I have nothing on the line.  That was nice that they let Ludacris and Lorenz help so that the show could end on a high note of having one right, even though I guessed they would automatically give the ladies' charities $100,000 and there wasn't really a chance of them dropping back below what had been given to the third-place team.  At least they're generous with the charities even though they aren't with the runners-up in regular games anymore.  I was surprised Ludacris knew the sappy song, and he seemed to be as well.  I love "Baby Come Back" though, and it came up on my iPod later that night and I hadn't even known it was on there (I knew I had it on some compilation CD but didn't remember anything beyond that).

18 minutes ago, KWalkerInc said:

Oops, I guess I should have realized that if a show in its fourth season didn't have a thread, there was probably a reason (as in, lack of interest).  I will post about this latest episode though because I don't have anything better to do!  This was a pretty good game through the end of the last multiple choice round.  I thought Garcelle (whom I still remember from Models Inc.) and Dorit might have some trouble after that, but I didn't think they would suddenly not come close to naming a single song.  (Though Garcelle insisted she knew "Firework" but Dorit didn't give her a chance to speak.)  The songs actually seemed easier than usual, as most of the time I get nervous just playing along at home even though I have nothing on the line.  That was nice that they let Ludacris and Lorenz help so that the show could end on a high note of having one right, even though I guessed they would automatically give the ladies' charities $100,000 and there wasn't really a chance of them dropping back below what had been given to the third-place team.  At least they're generous with the charities even though they aren't with the runners-up in regular games anymore.  I was surprised Ludacris knew the sappy song, and he seemed to be as well.  I love "Baby Come Back" though, and it came up on my iPod later that night and I hadn't even known it was on there (I knew I had it on some compilation CD but didn't remember anything beyond that).

Oh, I love the show and have interest. It's just no fun commenting, when no one else is.

I had to fast forward the last run. They were so bad at it. I knew there was a reason why I wanted Tate and Luda to make it to the end.

• Like 2

"Songs for Dad" were all songs from Dad or had nothing to do with dads. Most Dad songs are about complicated relationships. 

I have never heard of that million dollar song. But I knew all the other songs on the way up to the million. I probably would have gone for it and regretted it.

• Like 1

Yeah, the theme was just an excuse to make things extra-sappy.  I had to warn a friend that they were doing another Father's Day episode because she has complained of them making her gag in the past.  I think last season, they had one song in the Shazam Shuffle where the category was songs written by dads for their kids or something like that, and I guessed "Isn't She Lovely?" by Stevie Wonder before they played the song.  There are others, of course, but maybe not big hits.

I didn't get the first two songs at the end.  I knew it was Beastie Boys but not the song, and then I figured I wouldn't get "Today's Hits."  I did get the last song, but I'm not sure I would have been fast enough, it would have been cutting it close.  It was smart that they didn't go for it because it wasn't in their wheelhouse.  Most of course go for it no matter what because "we didn't have this money before" or whatever.  And I guess the second-place team gets 10% of their total?  I hope no one will have to go home with $100 because that would be sad.

I've never seen this show before but I was interested to see how it compares to "Name That Tune" so I started watching the past few episodes.  On the whole, I think it is enjoyable, and I like Jamie Foxx, but there is way too much filler and faux-suspense.  I particularly cannot stand the pregnant pause when Jamie asks for the reveal of how much time each team took to respond.

I don't like the fact that there is a multiple choice, and that the songs are for the most part, way too easy.  As Jamie says, "these are the biggest songs".  So when the category is country and you hear Dolly Parton, of course it is "Jolene".

The DJ girl is completely extraneous.  I like her, but she's like Vanna White ever since Vanna stopped physically turning the tiles.  I don't believe for a second that she's actually deciding which song to cue up.  She's going through the motions of pushing a button but she does next to nothing.

I think in the end, what I would like is the format of "Name That Tune" but with Jamie Foxx and DJ girl in place of Jane Krakowski and Randy Jackson.  I also greatly prefer the live band and live singers on NTT to the prerecorded tracks on Beat Shazam.

10 hours ago, vibeology said:

"Songs for Dad" were all songs from Dad or had nothing to do with dads. Most Dad songs are about complicated relationships. 

I thought it just meant "songs that old people should know".  As a middle-aged dad, I wasn't sure whether to be flattered or offended.  My teenaged son kept yelling at me that "these are your songs" and I was all "excuse me, songs from the 60s and 70s and earlier are way before my time, I don't care how old you apparently think I am".

• Like 2

I love this show. I think it’s Jamie Foxx living his best life, and I’m down for that.

18 hours ago, blackwing said:

I've never seen this show before but I was interested to see how it compares to "Name That Tune" so I started watching the past few episodes.  On the whole, I think it is enjoyable, and I like Jamie Foxx, but there is way too much filler and faux-suspense.  I particularly cannot stand the pregnant pause when Jamie asks for the reveal of how much time each team took to respond.

I don't like the fact that there is a multiple choice, and that the songs are for the most part, way too easy.  As Jamie says, "these are the biggest songs".  So when the category is country and you hear Dolly Parton, of course it is "Jolene".

The DJ girl is completely extraneous.  I like her, but she's like Vanna White ever since Vanna stopped physically turning the tiles.  I don't believe for a second that she's actually deciding which song to cue up.  She's going through the motions of pushing a button but she does next to nothing.

I think in the end, what I would like is the format of "Name That Tune" but with Jamie Foxx and DJ girl in place of Jane Krakowski and Randy Jackson.  I also greatly prefer the live band and live singers on NTT to the prerecorded tracks on Beat Shazam.

I thought it just meant "songs that old people should know".  As a middle-aged dad, I wasn't sure whether to be flattered or offended.  My teenaged son kept yelling at me that "these are your songs" and I was all "excuse me, songs from the 60s and 70s and earlier are way before my time, I don't care how old you apparently think I am".

I’ve just started watching, too.  I also find it enjoyable.   I’m the opposite liking the real pre recorded songs.  You do know DJ girl is Foxx’s daughter right? Grin.

The first season, the DJ was October Gonzalez, the wife of former NFL star (and two-sport college star) Tony Gonzalez.  Even though Corinne has been on for years now, my friend will still periodically complain that they were "mean" to drop DJ October so that Jamie could work with his daughter.

• Like 1

I used always want to do this show because even the second place team got half their bank. Great pay outs on this show. But, they seem to have altered that.

The last round the past two weeks has been ROUGH. I see why they started with the team killing it in the first episode. 

I think it's always good to remember the on the spot nature though. Brain freeze under the hot lights is real. I get it at home.

I never would have missed intergalactic though.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 3:22 AM, Diana Berry said:

I’ve just started watching, too.  I also find it enjoyable.   I’m the opposite liking the real pre recorded songs.  You do know DJ girl is Foxx’s daughter right? Grin.

Hah... I did not, when I first posted.  I was fast forwarding through a lot of the filler and it was only until I watched another episode last night that I heard her calling him "Dad" and then saw her name in the credits.

• Laugh 1