Type keyword(s) to search

Beat Shazam - General Discussion

• Start Topic

When I was watching a full episode of Don't Forget the Lyrics for the first time ever before this, they showed an ad for this episode and it was just Jamie saying that the answer to one multiple choice song was "Pour Some Sugar on Me."  I was worried that if that was all they could pull for a promo it would be really bad, but it was all right.  The battle for getting to the end was very competitive, and the poor lady on the second place team was about to just burst into tears.  That would probably be me, but usually everyone seems to just take it in stride.  Even though the winning team ended up knowing the TLC song, it was probably smart to walk because they'd had mixed results (though better than I did). 

Between having both Today's Hits and 2010s in the Shazam Shuffle and a 2020s song at the end, it seems like they're really trying to appeal to younger viewers to try to make their demographic younger.  I don't know that it will work, but at least they held steady in the ratings after being off for weeks.  Of course they'd be off for the 4th and then maybe because of the premiere of Bachelorette on opposite, but they're off this coming week too, which seems weird.  I also cynically think that they've decided to throw current songs in at the end in yet another attempt to give out less money.  During one of the reruns, I looked up the show's Wikipedia page and they actually calculated the difference in how much money could have been accumulated in earlier rounds in the first three seasons compared to now.  I had forgotten that they actually had an extra round in season 1 that was eliminated besides the decrease in amounts for each song in later seasons.  Oh well, at least the show is still on.

• Love 1

Correct - The third team never got anything.  The second team, once losing, would get half their bank, which was usually pretty substantial.  And it tied in nicely with the winning team either doubling their money in the final round or getting half their bank.  Now it's a measly 10% for the second placers.  Which ties into this:

On 7/20/2022 at 5:39 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I had forgotten that they actually had an extra round in season 1 that was eliminated besides the decrease in amounts for each song in later seasons

I forgot that too! 

It's been on budget mode for a few years now like you know.  And I agree, at least it's still on.  It was just a little more exciting in the early seasons before the budget cuts. 

On 7/20/2022 at 5:39 AM, KWalkerInc said:

Even though the winning team ended up knowing the TLC song, it was probably smart to walk because they'd had mixed results (though better than I did). 

I agree.  I totally thought it was smart that they walked away because they didn't seem confident in the "Girl Bands" category.  I wasn't either.  I said to my partner "Only if it's TLC"   Haha  Then it was!

• Love 2

Once again they had a current song in the final round to try to help them stay within their budget and not give away too much money!  Every time one of those categories come up, I just know I won't know the answer, and I don't.  The ladies did know that it was BTS, so they were closer than I was.  When it said "Today's Hits," I tried to get them to play "About Damn Time" by Lizzo because I would know that, but it's probably too new.  The other one I didn't get was "At the Hop."  I probably could still get more current songs than ones from the '50s, unless they played "Shout" by the Isley Brothers or maybe a couple of Elvis songs.

It was quite depressing during the interview about their ghost hunting when they were joking about ghosts flirting with one woman and the other said she gets picked on by child ghosts.  I thought, "Okay, now I'm thinking of dead children.  Way to bring the show down!"  I'm glad the game was very competitive, and I'm surprised they haven't come up with an alternate solution when there's a tie so that they don't have to give them both the money (the couple getting $4000 more meant they had to pay them an extra $400 in the end).

I think there's a certain pool of songs that all of the music shows on FOX draw from.  "Happy Together" popped up after I'd just seen it on a rerun of "Name That Tune" over the weekend.  I can't remember if it's been offered as an option on "Don't Forget the Lyrics," but there's definitely been some that have been on all three!  I think two of the shows have the same production company, but not sure about NTT.

The ladies did very well in this game, and I don't blame them for walking away with a good sum, even though they wound up being disgusted about "Let's Stay Together"!  It was cool when the woman who hadn't answered any suddenly came up with "Push It" when her friend was tongue-tied.  This week, their way to ensure that people had to know somewhat current songs was putting The Weeknd in R&B (after already having a whole category of him last week).  Then they called him their "nemesis."  Of course I didn't get that one, but somehow came up with "Kodachrome" when I don't know that song.  Maybe I'd just seen the title somewhere and tied it in with the "photograph" lyrics.  The woman relating the death of her son and showing the tattoo definitely had both Jamie and Corinne choked up, understandably.

This week, instead of Funk, Disco was back as the category that never gets to be played in "That's My Jam."  I think there are three episodes left in the season, but next week is a repeat.  They're also going to start showing episodes from last season in the late-night Saturday time slot (11 PM) in a few weeks after they run out of episodes of Name That Tune.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't blame them either. They had a good breadth of knowledge and were fast on the buzzer but they'd also flubbed a few along the way. And "Love Songs" is a meaningless category, it could literally be any song from any era. They were my favorite of the three, so I'm happy with the outcome.

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 2

That was one of the more competitive games they've had, and even the aerial performers weren't too bad, as there were several songs where they just weren't quite fast enough.  That end round though--ouch!  For a minute, I was going, "At least the team that didn't get any of them right last season had the sense not to play the final song" and questioning their logic of how they'd come so far to play (so you might as well lose half your bank?) but at least it ended on a high note with some redemption for Champagne.  When Jamie said they made $82,000 just by knowing hit songs, I joked, "Well, knowing A song anyway," although that's not true because they got a lot of multiple choice.  I liked Patti LaBelle coming up for the last song because that was the last concert I've gotten to attend (she did that duet with a young guy at the concert).  I think that's her only #1 solo pop hit.  In the five songs, I was pretty slow on The Killers though eventually got it before the reveal, and of course couldn't get The Weeknd (again, seriously?!  Did they get a bulk rate for his songs?) or Ariana.  I thought I would mess up country too, but it was a big crossover hit plus I remember it from the first dance at my cousin's wedding in 2000.

Last week's repeat got higher ratings than the previous week's new episode, which is odd.  I guess people pop in to watch when they feel like it.  Interesting lead-in this week.  I don't know that the TMZ specials draw very well, but they were otherwise going to have a DFTL repeat because its season goes an extra week with the same number of episodes.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I was afraid all the contestants were going to be annoying and hard to root for when they made their entrances, but I guess they probably coach them to be over the top like that, and they weren't bad at all afterwards.  I like how the teams in general on here tend to be supportive of each other, even when it's very competitive.  I could tell the guys would walk away from how little time was left when they came back from the last commercial break.  I think they had only gotten two, and of course they blanked on "Under Pressure" when they played for fun, so it was good that they took their $90,000+.  I really don't know very many reggae songs (unless they were going to bring in something more modern like "Boombastic"), so I had pretty much the same reaction they did to that category. 

I actually didn't get stumped by the modern songs for once, because I have the album that three of the four Dua Lipa songs they featured are on.  I just guessed on the other one.  I'm old though because I only got to know her music when Music Choice played it on Soft Rock when I was napping on Sundays and I was like, "Who is this singer who sounds vaguely like Pink but is doing dance music?"

I thought it was really funny when Jamie did his usual schtick about "getting down" in the '90s and Corinne was like, "Yes, because that's when I was born!"  He seemed rather surprised by her saying that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KWalkerInc said:

I thought it was really funny when Jamie did his usual schtick about "getting down" in the '90s and Corinne was like, "Yes, because that's when I was born!"  He seemed rather surprised by her saying that.

Speaking of Corinne, I'll admit half of the reason that I watch this show is because she is gorgeous, but the white eyeshade was NOT a good look!😒

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

When the ladies were debating whether to go for it despite their lack of success in the final round, I imagine they enraged a lot of people by invoking the Patriots' comeback win!  (I believe there was another NFL cheerleader in a previous season, a man who worked for the Ravens?)  There weren't too many people watching this episode anyway, as at least the preliminary ratings were an all-time low for the show.  That was probably because of being on a holiday, as it was much higher last week.  It was weird to end the season on a holiday when they had so many reruns earlier in the year.

Although I wasn't very confident on a couple, I was doing fine until they had to throw in Today's Hits, of course.  I had never heard the song (my friend will probably say she knew it because they always play it on the Top 40 station), but I could tell the ladies were wrong because the song they named had just been in the all Dua Lipa category last week.  It was funny when both teams had a similar reaction to the Lynyrd Skynyrd category, and then Jamie trying to reassure them it would be fine but then worrying after they didn't know "Sweet Home Alabama."

The celebrity episode from last year aired again on Saturday, and my friend correctly remembered that the winning team did fine with multiple choice, but then got every one wrong because they "kept just ringing in and immediately yelling out random crap."  That pretty much summed it up.  The best part though was in the early rounds when they played "I'm Every Woman" and Rob Gronkowski accidentally (?) hit the button that said "Literally Ladies."

• Love 1

I was surprised to learn that the episodes hadn't all been taped a very long time ago, which seemed to be their usual pattern.  It would have been very sad and strange though to see episodes with Jamie dancing and goofing around while he was actually struggling so much in real life, so until this news today, I had been often checking the schedule to see if the show was going to be pulled.

• Like 1

I have the feeling that this will probably be the final season unless Jamie makes a rapid recovery. FOX is probably desperate for programming with everything going on and thus was determined to make sure the season was completed.  I'm not really a big fan of Nick's, but he was pretty low-key on the premiere and did fine.  I just really enjoy the music and getting to play along at home (though I never did officially when they let people do that--many are still upset that they can't play along with the app even though they weren't trying to win the money).  I hope the end result of this game isn't a sign that nobody really made a lot of money this season.  They probably picked it as a premiere because of the ladies' remarkable comeback.  I have a friend who is always yelling at the winners not to go for it on the final song, and she probably still was somehow even though FOX affiliate hasn't come in on her over-the-air TV for months.  I was doing well on the last round except for freezing on the SZA song (and the woman was quick enough to answer before my brain could sort it out).  I don't think I'd ever heard that last song by Third Eye Blind though.  During earlier rounds, I was glad that they didn't drag it out as much when telling who had the correct answer the fastest (like having to list them one at a time for drama, that is always annoying).

• Like 5
(edited)

It's not like Kelly was bad and distracted from the episode or anything, but she sometimes had trouble interacting with everyone when it wasn't scripted (like the standard lines they always have the DJ say, or the bit that went on too long where she was using the calculator).  There was one part where Nick was interviewing one of the teams when Kelly finally chimed in and the timing was like she suddenly remembered she can say something spontaneous if she wants to.  That was just a little thing I noticed, but it's not really a big deal because the DJ doesn't have to have that huge a role, Corinne's part was bigger because of interacting with her dad and their chemistry.  Kelly was kind of scary as a teen on Osbournes when she would be yelling and screaming or physically fighting with Jack, so I'm glad she eventually settled down in time.  She was pretty funny when she was interviewed on ET during her pregnancy, complaining about how her dad wouldn't stop talking about how big she was (which they then showed a clip of from their own interview with Ozzy).  When the daughter from the winning team talked about her kids, I thought Kelly would chime in about being a mom, but maybe they were told not to be too personal because it could lead to more media focus on Nick and all of his kids instead of on the show (though Nick did mention to the twins about having two sets).

Here is an interview that Nick and Kelly did for ET, sort of about the show (I just watched it now because when I saw it before, I had the sound off listening to a game because it didn't look super interesting).  Jamie and Corinne would do these types of stories at the start of a season, but it was more about the show.

https://www.etonline.com/media/videos/nick-cannon-and-kelly-osbourne-interview-each-other-while-filling-in-for-jamie-foxx-on

Edited by KWalkerInc
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

This episode again demonstrated that the FOX music shows perhaps have a relatively small pool of songs available.  They played "The Best" by the late great Tina Turner, and that was just on last week's episode of Don't Forget the Lyrics the day before her passing--and I also remember an episode of Name That Tune, maybe even this season, where I got annoyed when Jane was reading off songs that the contestant passed on in the end's Golden Medley and she called the song "Simply the Best" instead of the correct title.  Then when they played "Dangerous Woman" as one of the songs at the end, I doubted myself for a minute thinking they'd already just used that song, but I think it was on DFTL. 

I would always complain that I don't know the answers to newer songs, but I got two right at the end, but then didn't know the ELO song and couldn't figure out that part of "Layla," just like the contestants.  I could tell when they showed the contestants before the break saying they would walk away that they would probably suddenly change their minds, but at least there was a happier ending.  The part with everyone kicking off their shoes and Kelly explaining that she wouldn't be able to get hers back on if she did was funny.

I got confused when the ladies that ended up winning were introduced at the beginning before the brother and sister who had zero (though they knew most answers and weren't that slow, just didn't work out) because the brother-sister team ended up at the middle podium and not on the right.  I was like, "Did they switch?" because I thought they always introduce them from left to right, but maybe they don't and I just hadn't always paid attention.

• Like 2

I don't really like Nick Cannon or his energy on this show.  He just doesn't have the charm and charisma to pull this off properly. 

And most of the songs I can't identify at all. It's no fun when so many of the songs are hip hop or rap or recent. Even when they used a category I thought I would know they chose weird songs from it. That doesn't usually happen on this show. I wonder who chooses the songs? The prior seasons there were just enough songs I was familiar with to make it fun. This season so far not at all.

I don't know what is wrong with Jamie Foxx but I do hope he gets better soon. Nick Cannon is host for this entire season and I read the Foxx and his daughter have a new show in development for 2024 so I am afraid that he won't be back for this one.

• Like 1

The ratings are really down this year.  Nick might be part of that, as he probably still gets a lot of viewers on Masked Singer but maybe people didn't want to watch without Jamie.  If he recovers and wanted to host another season they'd probably still keep it going, but it seems like he and Corinne were already on their way out with the new show about duets with famous people's family members (which sounds kind of stupid to me). 

I think the inclusion of newer songs is because they're taping so close to when the episodes started airing now, whereas it used to be months or in the one case like a year and a half in advance so we still had a fighting chance.  They might think that having "today's hits" will attract younger viewers, when it probably doesn't.  I used to think the recent hits were thrown in a lot at the end to make sure nobody won too much money, but they seem to have gotten contestants who aren't fazed by that, at least so far.  I was surprised when they had the Justin Bieber category that they both got his easiest song wrong, but knew all the others.  (Unless they were just guessing like I was, but much more quickly.)  Nelly I knew some of the songs (because they're old), but had trouble with one that's actually on an album I have (but I'd probably listened to it like once 20 years ago and then just put the songs I wanted on the computer).

• Like 1

Unless I just managed to avoid it, I'm impressed that FOX managed not to give away the ending in promos or press releases (especially with these ratings)!  I know that when I watched the season 1 episode on demand back then, they had a voiceover from Jamie saying that someone was going for the million--which is better than the later episode where they gave away in the commercial that someone WON.  I think this was the fourth team to win (one each of the first three seasons) and there was also the team of moonshiners who went for the million but didn't get it in season three, so it had been awhile since anyone got that far.

I enjoyed the Lizzo category and did well in the closing round this time.  Like Nick, I had never heard of the hip hop entry.  (It seemed like the audience didn't really react when the guy said the answer, some applause like they knew but not a lot.)  I didn't even know that Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj had a collaboration other than "Bang Bang."  It was exciting seeing the guys go through the songs, especially not knowing the outcome this time!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

I was glad that the guys decided to walk away at the end.  It's kind of annoying that they always have to make it look before the break that the team is going to do the opposite of what they end up deciding.  I was fooled though, so I was going, "No!  You only got two right and you've made a lot of money!"  I managed to rally to get three right after not knowing the first song (another Nicki Minaj song I'd never heard) and not getting "Tush."  "Express Yourself" I had no trouble, but if they asked me for the full name of the artist/band, then I'd have a problem!  (Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band?  I think.)  "The Game of Love" is my favorite song, and it was interesting that they were so determined to make it tough that they didn't play the "little bit of this, little bit of that" chorus even though the title doesn't come up for a while.  (Hence the guys trying to quickly come up with it and not getting it.)  I would have walked with it being country no matter how many I had right, because they used to play (as Jamie used to say) "Only the biggest hits" so it was often crossover hits, but now with both that and hip-hop they try to go for more modern so they don't have to give as much money.  (When they told the second place team with the $1200 prize that they weren't walking away empty-handed, I said, "You may as well be.")

For some reason, I was dumb enough to not guess what the DJ's Choice would be for Father's Day, even though I'd earlier thought they might play one of Ozzy's songs during the Shazam Shuffle.  I like "Mama, I'm Coming Home," but I wonder if that's a little weird for Kelly.  "Here's the song about my father did about reconciling with my mom following their separation when he had tried to kill her while drunk."  But maybe it's just in the past and no big deal for her now.  I wasn't surprised she was emotional about their duet playing at the beginning because I remember her talking about how Ozzy finally woke up after his bad ATV accident and she told him their song had hit #1 in the UK.  On the other hand, I was really amused when the first song played, under "Divas," was Christina Aguilera because she and Kelly had quite a feud for years back in the day.  There was even a sketch about it when Christina hosted SNL.  Hopefully that ended a long time ago though.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Nick is going to be host for the entire season?  I've avoided watching so far, because I'm so tired of Nick Cannon over on Masked Singer.  Doesn't he have more women to impregnate instead of taking the time to host this show?  I might just skip this entire season.  If Jamie doesn't come back next year, then I'm done with this show

• Like 1

Nick and Kelly are supposed to be on for the entire season, however many shows that is.  It isn't on again (with a new show) until July 18.  No listings are given for August yet, but if it doesn't continue then, that would only be seven episodes, which would be pretty low.

I did wonder what the nuns on this week's show thought about Nick and all of his children with the different women, even though I knew they would be nice and not comment on him.

I was getting tired of the running joke about Kelly being a math whiz, but then they had all those math formulas fly past her head when she was just multiplying by two, and that actually made me laugh.

I know I'm not a gambler because it always drives me crazy when some team that hasn't gotten many right (on one episode in a previous season, none right) and has a questionable category decides to go for it because it's not their money they'd be losing half of or whatever.  It's true they "didn't come there with that money," but that doesn't really explain basically throwing half of it away.  But once in a while they get lucky on the last song.  I would not go for it on "Pop Punk" because they already played "Sk8er Boi" by Avril Lavigne earlier in the year and I probably wouldn't get any others right.  In the last round there was some song I'd never heard (I think it was '90s) and of course couldn't get Today's Hits.  Kelly Clarkson sang it once on her talk show and I'd heard it a few other times, but the answer didn't exactly jump into my brain.

• Like 3
On 6/22/2023 at 6:02 AM, KWalkerInc said:

Nick and Kelly are supposed to be on for the entire season, however many shows that is.  It isn't on again (with a new show) until July 18.  No listings are given for August yet, but if it doesn't continue then, that would only be seven episodes, which would be pretty low.

I did wonder what the nuns on this week's show thought about Nick and all of his children with the different women, even though I knew they would be nice and not comment on him.

I was getting tired of the running joke about Kelly being a math whiz, but then they had all those math formulas fly past her head when she was just multiplying by two, and that actually made me laugh.

I know I'm not a gambler because it always drives me crazy when some team that hasn't gotten many right (on one episode in a previous season, none right) and has a questionable category decides to go for it because it's not their money they'd be losing half of or whatever.  It's true they "didn't come there with that money," but that doesn't really explain basically throwing half of it away.  But once in a while they get lucky on the last song.  I would not go for it on "Pop Punk" because they already played "Sk8er Boi" by Avril Lavigne earlier in the year and I probably wouldn't get any others right.  In the last round there was some song I'd never heard (I think it was '90s) and of course couldn't get Today's Hits.  Kelly Clarkson sang it once on her talk show and I'd heard it a few other times, but the answer didn't exactly jump into my brain.

Agree especially on this episode. Do they forget they are splitting the money ( unless a couple. ) ? so they split 30k (. 15k apiece ) instead of 70k ( 35k apiece) big difference . Especially on such a vague category pop punk when they’ve missed so many. 

i am enjoying Nick and DJ Kelly Kel Kel 

• Like 2
(edited)
On 5/31/2023 at 2:52 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I would always complain that I don't know the answers to newer songs, but I got two right at the end, but then didn't know the ELO song and couldn't figure out that part of "Layla," just like the contestants.

"Mr. Blue Sky" by ELO barely charted in the US. The 70s are my decade and I feel like I know ELO's catalog pretty well, but I didn't recognize it at all. Boo to the show for that one. As for "Layla", it's one of my favorite songs of all time, but I was barely able to get it with that weird clip they chose. I felt for Heidi when she was all, "Layla?? I know that song!" I was super happy she pulled it off at the end so they could win some decent cash. They impressed me with their breadth of knowledge and their quickness.

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Like 2

I wasn't sure about the winners going for it on the last song with as much as they had in the bank and having only gotten two right.  They were probably lucky that it was a category that was in the mom's wheelhouse.  I give her credit for getting the whole title out correctly.  I know the song well, but it's a lot of words and would have been easy to screw up under that pressure.  I could have, as I like to say when I actually get the six right, won "an imaginary million dollars" if I had been able to remember the Justin Bieber song.  I will sometimes listen to the "Hit List" channel on Music Choice while having my late-night snack to try to get familiar with some current songs, but it's actually been a little while since they played that one and I got it confused with one of his other songs.  It was interesting that the son kind of had an idea of what Bieber says in the chorus, but not quite the title.

It didn't seem like they had the audience as hyped as they usually do, because there was dead silence when the son gave his wrong answers (even though he did know the one song was Biggie, just the wrong song).  Usually they will try to be supportive and cheer some anyway, but it was kind of funny that they were like, "You're wrong and we're not even going to fake it."

• Like 2

I didn't understand the logic at all in going for it after getting all five songs wrong, but the winners again lucked out in the final category.  I don't blame them for having trouble with the other songs at all (of course the one guy did know the Busta Rhymes song but his friend had already answered), as the only one I got besides "Cloud Nine" was Tina.  Maybe they're trying to make the show harder to make up for having given away a million, but that seems unfair midseason (not that they care).  They saved on a little money from all the times all two or three teams got the answer wrong at once, so that should make them happy.

I was amused for some reason every time (for legal reasons) that they had to follow up the title of a song in the Taylor Swift category with a dubbed-in Nick saying, "Taylor's version."  I guess they just didn't know they had to say that when the game was actually taped.

Next week is another rerun even though DFTL is new.  The season is supposed to go until September 12, so I don't know if Beat Shazam made fewer episodes or they're going to alternate which show is new in a particular week or what.

• Like 4

This was a pretty good game, between the two teams going down to the wire (the other team didn't do anything, but maybe J.J. will benefit from getting the salad dressing line on TV) and the winners doing fairly well and getting the last song to win big.  "Faith" is a pretty easy one, so the show decided not to be cruel this time.  I was glad to get more right than last time, though one I got wrong was Lenny Kravitz.  I said the word lady, but added in more words from one of his other titles for some reason.  I may have only known the part of the song they used to play constantly in a Gap ad with Sarah Jessica Parker in 2004, and I haven't heard it since!  I actually knew the "Today's Hits" songs in That's My Jam, which is rare.

There were more examples of the small pool of songs on the shows, as "Story of a Girl" was played after being on Don't Forget the Lyrics last week; and then this show had the Aerosmith category and they were listed as an option for a category on DTFL (though no one has picked it yet).

• Like 3

Even though the couple was disappointed that the last song was so easy, they were smart to not risk it on Rock, which I was afraid would end up being some song from the last few years or something since it didn't say "Classic Rock."  And I think they had only gotten the first and last songs, so it was good to walk with the sizable amount they had racked up.  I got the first three right and then went down the tubes (except for the Phil Collins song).

It was interesting that the first elimination came down to a tiebreaker.  I think the other time that has happened, it was actually for the win, which of course is even more dramatic.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I laughed at the end when everyone was gathered to celebrate/congratulate the contestants and Nick said he'd never heard the last song before or something like that.  The title sounded familiar so I've probably heard it, but I certainly didn't recognize it.  I mostly remember the BEP songs from when Fergie was with them.  The team said they knew hip-hop, and I guess they weren't lying!  I was also tripped up by Today's Hits.  It always seems to be a Justin Bieber song and I guess the wrong one.

Kelly had good timing on the gag where she had a calculator and print-out to figure out how much the song was worth.  I think she got good reviews when she acted in a short-lived ABC show long ago.  It's funny that she has a "crew" behind her when there are hardly any episodes left.  It seems a little late for that, wonder if it will be mentioned in the other two.  I wonder though if it's "Kelly's Crew" or "Krew."  (That just reminds me of when my late cousin and one of her bandmates had a side project that misspelled a word with a K instead of C, and my journalist uncle did not care for that particular choice!)

• Like 3

I laughed really hard when the guys just started dancing away at the end and Nick said to Kelly, "If it were a dance contest, they would have won!"  I think that had to be the lowest total the winning team ever ended up with, though I couldn't confirm that.  (I even tried the Wikipedia page even though I was afraid I'd be begged for money, which apparently happens randomly now and not just in certain months.)  Maybe it was nerves, because they must know some song titles to be able to get them so quickly in the multiple choice part.  They did sort of come close on one, and remembered another too late.  I probably got "I Want Candy" largely because of playing Melanie C's version a lot, so it was funny that she had just been in the Name That Tune commercial right before that segment.  I guess they didn't know Pop is always so general, though it seemed like they didn't care and would have gone for it no matter what the category was.  (You have a relatively low total, so you want to lose half and be even lower?)  I shouldn't bother listening to current hits to try to get answers right, because I never remember the titles anyway (Kelly Clarkson even interviewed Chris Martin about that song on her show, but that was a year ago and I guess I didn't pay enough attention to remember).

The press release for this episode noted it was the 75th, which is a weird milestone I've never seen be a big deal for a show.  That probably means they don't expect to have a couple more seasons to get to 100.  I think they would order another season to let Jamie come back now that he's better if he wanted, but he and Corinne seem more interested in a new show (which sounds kind of like Claim to Fame, only with singing).

• Like 1
5 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

Maybe it was nerves, because they must know some song titles to be able to get them so quickly in the multiple choice part. 

KW, I've been watching the show as long as you but those were some difficult songs, maybe overall the hardest yet!  I only knew one song.

• Love 1

I've noticed in the mulitple choice there are a lot more where I have no idea and just kind of guess what it is.  I probably wouldn't be very fast even on songs that I do know.  At the end of this show, I was lucky that they played at least three songs that I have somewhere in my collection (I've already forgotten what the other two songs were).  I was also glad they didn't play some song from the '50s, today's hits (though of course they slipped one in as Pop on the final song) or country.  They usually have country in there somewhere, so I'm guessing that they saw that they had cowboys as contestants and decided, just in case that team won, to leave that out to potentially save some money.  (Although they knew other genres obviously.)

I did get to learn earlier in the show that "Three Little Birds" is the name of that reggae song where Bob Marley says that everything will be all right.  Reggae is another one they like to put in that I never get right.

• Like 2

That was a nice way to go out if this does turn out to be the last season.  When they had gotten the first five, I kind of guessed they would win because the network could air the episodes in any order they wanted and probably would have saved the sibling one where they won for last if the Gen X ladies hadn't gotten it right.  For a Today's Hits song, that one was pretty easy as it gets played a lot even on Adult Contemporary radio.  (My friend used to always complain that it was on every five minutes and "that couple isn't even together anymore" and now they've apparently reunited and broken up again since then.)  After the first two songs at the end, I thought I wouldn't get any of them.  Audience seemed lukewarm over the answer of "Angel" by Aerosmith.  I guess they weren't the right age to have heard when that was the song being played on the radio every five minutes.  I enjoyed the gasps of shock when the lady got "Peaches and Cream."  I usually change the channel when the Y2K channel plays it because it's kind of gross, but the background music is pretty distinctive. 

Even though the game was pretty much a runaway, I was amused when they had the brief scare because of Tony's knowledge of Nicki Minaj songs!  Other than "Super Bass," I was just guessing because I'd heard of one of the titles, and had never heard of "Pound the Alarm," which is similar to the name of a Beyonce song from a long time ago so I didn't think it was right.

It's funny that they try everything to keep down the amount of money they give out, and yet this has been the only season with more than one million-winning team.  (They had to give out one million one thousand dollars for this episode since Tony and Lucretia got the minimum for second.)

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 9/13/2023 at 5:56 AM, KWalkerInc said:

That was a nice way to go out if this does turn out to be the last season.  When they had gotten the first five, I kind of guessed they would win because the network could air the episodes in any order they wanted and probably would have saved the sibling one where they won for last if the Gen X ladies hadn't gotten it right.  For a Today's Hits song, that one was pretty easy as it gets played a lot even on Adult Contemporary radio.  (My friend used to always complain that it was on every five minutes and "that couple isn't even together anymore" and now they've apparently reunited and broken up again since then.)  After the first two songs at the end, I thought I wouldn't get any of them.  Audience seemed lukewarm over the answer of "Angel" by Aerosmith.  I guess they weren't the right age to have heard when that was the song being played on the radio every five minutes.  I enjoyed the gasps of shock when the lady got "Peaches and Cream."  I usually change the channel when the Y2K channel plays it because it's kind of gross, but the background music is pretty distinctive. 

Even though the game was pretty much a runaway, I was amused when they had the brief scare because of Tony's knowledge of Nicki Minaj songs!  Other than "Super Bass," I was just guessing because I'd heard of one of the titles, and had never heard of "Pound the Alarm," which is similar to the name of a Beyonce song from a long time ago so I didn't think it was right.

It's funny that they try everything to keep down the amount of money they give out, and yet this has been the only season with more than one million-winning team.  (They had to give out one million one thousand dollars for this episode since Tony and Lucretia got the minimum for second.

had a feeling they would win the million. They were great and one of the few teams to actually have some rhythm. 

is this really  the last season? Love this show.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Some sites think the show will be cancelled because the ratings dropped quite a bit, but they are just speculating (because it's what their sites do).  Most shows seem to be dropping.  A bigger concern might be that Jamie and Corinne have signed on for another game show on FOX called We Are Family.  Maybe they could try a new permanent host for Beat Shazam, but Nick probably wouldn't be available.  Either way, I'd be surprised if there were any news anytime soon.  It seems even when the show is renewed, there will be no news for many months (or even years it seemed like after season 3), and then suddenly they announce  a return date.

• Useful 2

I just saw a press release that said Jamie will be executive producer of We Are Family, but Anthony Anderson and his mom are the hosts.  Also, that show starts early January, not summer.  I think Jamie is doing much better (I heard he filmed a commercial), so maybe there is a chance Beat Shazam can return, though of course they still probably won't say anything either way right now.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

There hasn't been any announcement from FOX, though they have been showing repeats of last season late night on Saturdays and still have a couple to go.  I may have just found something though:  a casting page with a big picture of Jamie that says that he is returning for season 7 and they are looking for contestants.

https://beatshazambooked.castingcrane.com/

Hopefully that is legitimate--I know it's true that they film in Ireland, and a story about a past contestant said that production does pay for travel and hotel in Ireland.

• Thanks 1