Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Race

ESS
  • Start Topic

Against Rebel’s advice, Cruz turns to a familiar source to help dig up proof that proves the Stonemore valve is faulty. Elsewhere, Rebel, Cassidy and Grady come together to help Ziggy after learning that her friends have been unjustly expelled from school. Meanwhile, Lana continues to search for more information about Angela and instead is confronted with a shocking revelation.

Go, Ziggy!  She's a chip off the ol' block.

Cruz and his kids were nice together.  I particularly like the pregnant daughter.

I do not understand how Cruz is suddenly in such terrible financial shape, but maybe I missed something in a previous episode.  I also cannot at all relate to the objections to exhumation, so could not get caught up in the tension as to whether it happened or not.  I mean, of course go get the evidence!

I laughed at "I have plantar fasciitis and a hangover, but good luck" when the doctor refused Rebel's attempt to get her to run the race, and then "Run, Jackass, run!" when Rebel got the racist former (alternate) Olympian athletic director to do it.

I thought Angela wasn't a "this is some black ops shit" professional spy, but someone who'd been sucked into helping Stonemore for personal reasons, so apparently I read that all wrong.  I've seen Sharon Lawrence play enough bad guys, I shouldn't have assumed a less diabolical motive.

Benji's fear and anger in the hospital was very well played.  (I remember James Lesure from Mr. Sunshine, and, on a shallow note, that man looks even better ten years later.)  Lana - whom I love even more with each new episode - leaving the hospital and marching into his office was fantastic.  And I liked her "I see you" talk with him.

Great to see Leonard Roberts at the end; I like him (and love his voice) and haven't seen him since Major Crimes and Mom.

I wonder if there's really a Little Grady down in Torrance.  I hope so, because I can't stand Grady and want something big enough to finally get Rebel to dump that son of a dick for good.

• Love 2

Whatever spin Lana put on the car accident, Angela is right.  Lana was chasing her.

Wouldn't the heart valve be ruined anyway by the time they exhumed the body?  Assuming of course, that there was no embalming and the heart removed in the process.

They're looking for a chemical change in the valve. It might still be detectable.

Lana did follow Angela. After Angela cheated and lied to illegally sink a class action lawsuit.

• Love 1
(edited)

Once again I loved this episode!!

I'm was so happy to see Lana was okay after her car accident and of course loved Rebel being there for her as I knew she would be, they are inseparable. 

The Rebel/Benji scene was great a lot of passion with it even though they were screaming at each other.

I loved seeing the Rebel/Sharon flashback that was a surprise, but sad too. I'm glad Rebel was trying to keep the promise that her best friend wanted her too for Cruz.

I liked Cruz's kids and I love that Cruz is going to be a grandfather.

It was funny with Lana playing lawyer that was so cool.

I was so glad they didn't end up disturbing Sharon's grave in the end glad Rebel sorted that out by them finding the whistleblower.

The race scene was awesome and Rebel got that teacher good!

Loved Ziggy and she did great with that speech. 

I loved Rebel and Cruz as a family at the gravesite it was so sweet!!

Man that ending with Lana and Angela left me so shocked...Grady has a son! So the bastard cheated on Rebel while they were married!! Every time I try and like him he does something stupid and this no better!! Rebel is gonna kill him.. I think this will be the last straw with him. 

In my opinion Grady is worse than Benji at this point.

I can't wait for next week's episode! 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2

Am I a bad person for thinking they should have still exhumed Sharon's body? The chemist's husband said he might be willing to talk. But she doesn't know what he is going to say or how reliable it will sound it court. If the valve is deteriorating, that is hard core proof. And it sounds like Sharon would want to help her husband not go broke and help all those people, and it's not like she still needs her body.

I'm glad they got the racist teacher to back down, but that scene with them all threatening him felt a little wrong as well.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Am I a bad person for thinking they should have still exhumed Sharon's body?

No, you're a logical person.  It's a dead body.  Significantly decayed and maybe of no practical use by this point, but perhaps the heart valve - being synthetic - within can still prove useful as evidence in the case.  Sharon isn't going to get any more dead, or be disturbed, or whatever superstitious nonsense led some of them to not want the remains exhumed, if they retrieve the valve and evaluate it as potential evidence. 

Patient X's removed valve is long gone and Helen's was stolen.  This whistleblower may not pan out, and even if he does, hello, physical evidence.  Clearly by planting Angela and stealing Helen's valve, Stonemore is playing very dirty; the plaintiffs need every shred of possible evidence they can get.

And, given how pragmatic Sharon was in her final months per that memory of Rebel's, if she could somehow weigh in now she'd have told them to dig her bag of bones ass up. 

• Love 6

I didn’t like this episode as much as the last one and thought much of this was over the top. Of course they would need one of the defective heart valves to prove the coating is dangerous. The potential new witness is just that, potential. And Sharon Lawrence just waltzing in to gloat would never happen, also don’t think Lana would be allowed in her brothers office since she is working for Rebel.

Then we have the athletic director guy who is ready and able to join in the race at last minute and of course take first place. Also why does Cruz have no other clients? He would be dumb to not do other work since this one case is far from over and not likely to pay off. How does Rebel make money?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I didn’t like this episode as much as the last one and thought much of this was over the top. Of course they would need one of the defective heart valves to prove the coating is dangerous. The potential new witness is just that, potential. And Sharon Lawrence just waltzing in to gloat would never happen, also don’t think Lana would be allowed in her brothers office since she is working for Rebel.

Then we have the athletic director guy who is ready and able to join in the race at last minute and of course take first place. Also why does Cruz have no other clients? He would be dumb to not do other work since this one case is far from over and not likely to pay off. How does Rebel make money?

Alimony from her ex-husbands?  🤑

1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Alimony being granted for any length of time in CA is not common.  So even if she ever qualified for it from one ex-husband (not likely; it would probably just be child support, and that would depend on the physical custody split), if the spousal support order hadn't already expired by the time she married the next one, it would end then.

But Rebel has presumably always had her own income (since the whole premise of this is how her passion for her work complicates her personal relationships).  And Benji is the only former spouse who has more money than she does; she earns more than the cop, and the entire point of Grady filing for divorce was that he screwed up the timing and thus couldn't get his hands on her money.

She's supporting herself, not living off ex-husbands.

(This show is based on "the life of Erin Brockovich today", and Brockovich would've had no trouble dipping into her significant net worth for the money to fund Helen's surgery.  So this, like most, shows is playing fast and loose and claiming financial problems that wouldn't actually exist - see, also, Cruz needing to let the receptionist and janitorial company go - in order to make their characters sympathetic.  But even within their version, Rebel's money is her own.)

(edited)

But who is paying Rebel? Maybe she made some money off of the book she wrote but she also has money to pay an assistant and she likely spends her own money on her various causes.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Alimony being granted for any length of time in CA is not common.  So even if she ever qualified for it from one ex-husband (not likely; it would probably just be child support, and that would depend on the physical custody split), if the spousal support order hadn't already expired by the time she married the next one, it would end then.

But Rebel has presumably always had her own income (since the whole premise of this is how her passion for her work complicates her personal relationships).  And Benji is the only former spouse who has more money than she does; she earns more than the cop, and the entire point of Grady filing for divorce was that he screwed up the timing and thus couldn't get his hands on her money.

She's supporting herself, not living off ex-husbands.

(This show is based on "the life of Erin Brockovich today", and Brockovich would've had no trouble dipping into her significant net worth for the money to fund Helen's surgery.  So this, like most, shows is playing fast and loose and claiming financial problems that wouldn't actually exist - see, also, Cruz needing to let the receptionist and janitorial company go - in order to make their characters sympathetic.  But even within their version, Rebel's money is her own.)

It was a joke.  Thus, the $ smile emoji.

Edited by CrystalBlue
On 5/29/2021 at 12:29 AM, KaveDweller said:

Am I a bad person for thinking they should have still exhumed Sharon's body? The chemist's husband said he might be willing to talk. But she doesn't know what he is going to say or how reliable it will sound it court. If the valve is deteriorating, that is hard core proof. And it sounds like Sharon would want to help her husband not go broke and help all those people, and it's not like she still needs her body.

I'm glad they got the racist teacher to back down, but that scene with them all threatening him felt a little wrong as well.

I agree about Sharon. Exhume the body and get further proof. I didn't understand the objections to it. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Court said:

I didn't understand the objections to it. 

Apparently, the objections were emotional. Rebel already spouted off about how Cruz needed to move on with his life. Exhumation, it was felt, might encourage the family to start the already too long grieving process all over again. They were also conflicted about whether Sharon would have wanted them to persist with the lawsuit, or just let it go (hence, the flashback exchange between Rebel and Sharon). The priest who gave approval (I suspect he had to consult a higher diocesan authority) must have been convinced it would save lives and was therefore worth it. Serious business, that-you don’t disturb the resting dead from consecrated ground. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

13 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

It was a joke.  Thus, the $ smile emoji.

The $ smile emoji shows as a rectangle on my screen, so I didn't get it either.

When Angela showed up in the office Lana was in, Lana didn't question her identity, who she really is, or anything. Just a very unsatisfying exchange from my POV. Angela couldn't have appeared to be more evil than if she appeared in a Cruella de Vil dress and wig.

Cruz has made reference to the firm's financial difficulties in previous episodes.  I understand Stonemore is a huge case for any firm, but more clients are needed to keep on going.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

The $ smile emoji shows as a rectangle on my screen, so I didn't get it either.

When Angela showed up in the office Lana was in, Lana didn't question her identity, who she really is, or anything. Just a very unsatisfying exchange from my POV. Angela couldn't have appeared to be more evil than if she appeared in a Cruella de Vil dress and wig.

Cruz has made reference to the firm's financial difficulties in previous episodes.  I understand Stonemore is a huge case for any firm, but more clients are needed to keep on going.

Sucks that the emojis available on this forum don't show up for everyone.  Sorry for any confusion.  I'll try to keep my sense of humor to myself in the future so as not to irritate those who take this fictional TV show too seriously.

• Love 1
On 6/4/2021 at 5:40 PM, CrystalBlue said:

This news story just came out yesterday too!  This is why I'm so scared of having any heart implant devices and surgery.

I'm on my third Medtronic pacemaker in 18 years. They work fine. They just keep running out of battery and need to be replaced. The only problem I've had is a broken atrial lead that had to be replaced a year after the last pacemaker replacement. It was a bummer to have to have surgery two years in a row, but there was no way of predicting that the lead would fail when they were doing the last pacemaker replacement.

• Useful 2