Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Finale

• Start Topic

They rigged the first impression guesses to keep it from being a tie. Jenny def gets some help from the producers.

The opening song made me want a duet of "When You Believe" feat Jojo and Leann Rimes. They are fabulous singers that could do Mariah and Whitney justice. I never say that about white girls, lol, but they can SANG.

Nicole looked like Beyonce tonight, I had to keep remembering she wasn't.

• Love 4

No big surprises on the reveals or the winner.  I was surprised that they opened with "How Do I Live  (or "leave" if you're LeeAnn) Without You" and followed up with Black Swan singing "How am I Supposed to Live Without You".  At first I thought she was repeating the same song and then realized that they're just very very similar.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

The opening song made me want a duet of "When You Believe" feat Jojo and Leann Rimes. They are fabulous singers that could do Mariah and Whitney justice. I never say that about white girls, lol, but they can SANG.

OT hut have you heard the Pentatonix version with Maren Morris? Take a listen, it's on YouTube!

I always forget how powerful Jojo's voice is. And I know she was like 13 when she released "Leave (Get Out)," but when she said she'd just turned 30 in September I was shocked. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, dvr devotee said:

I always forget how powerful Jojo's voice is.

I remember her on some VERY 90s daytime talk show. Like Ricki Lake or back when Maury had standards. It was about insanely talented kids. She was a funny looking 6-8 year old, very squishy face. But I remember thinking "oh, she is gonna be real famous when she grows into that face." In less than 5 years I was buying her album. She's been hustling her whole life, with a bit of a stage mom. 

She has so much soul in her voice. I'm always rooting for Jojo. (And I NEVER remember precocious kids)

1892FCEF-5DAC-45E4-866B-534F94D8F6D1.jpeg

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

They rigged the first impression guesses to keep it from being a tie. Jenny def gets some help from the producers.

They all get "some" (AKA a lot) help from the producers, it's ridiculous that we're supposed to believe they all know that much about every celebrity. When Jenny pointed out that Gucci Mane was a military kid, I wanted to throw something at the TV.

• Love 7

What I dont get is the Production helping Jenny beat the actual singers for that golden ear trophy. Got help the "Pop Culture" Guru. Such crap when I've been keeping track and Robin and Nicole when it came time to guess who it was before unmasking guessed it right more than The Pop Culture Guru. I really swear Jenny was not guessing Nick Lachey at all when he first sang on the show. But gotta keep The Pop Culture Guru happy I guess 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

I really swear Jenny was not guessing Nick Lachey at all when he first sang on the show. But gotta keep The Pop Culture Guru happy I guess 

Nick is one that I can believe she picked out. I just don't believe no one else did. His voice jumped out three notes into that first performance. It's surprisingly distinctive considering 98 Degrees was a second tier boy band. It's not that Jenny gets so many right, it's that someone like Nicole or Robin seem to get so many wrong that I find suspicious. Ans she looked stupid in that wig. 

It was a good finale. The fact that there wasn't an hour long pre-show was delightful. I don't need the filler.

I get that Chameleon shouldn't have made it this far but I did love Gangsta's Paradise. That's a classic and the sort of song totally suited for a show like this. Of the three performances, it was actually my favourite. It just had energy and movement.

Jojo, and I think she's one of the greatest pop singers out there, just always did too much. Not every line has to end on a run. Pick one moment and build to it. It's more memorable and impactful that way. She probably doesn't get to choose her songs but she does get to choose her interpretation and she made bad choices there. 

Nick, I think, got given a song that doesn't really suit him but made the best out of it. When you're singing Journey there's a bar that's been set by Steve Perry for some big high notes and Nick isn't really that singer but he did what he does best and then went for one big note at the end. I actually think he sang it better unmasked but it was enough to earn that win.

I mostly liked this season. The Wildcard thing I don't think really worked that well but it didn't ruin the season or anything. 

• Love 7

I am shocked that the show let Piglet win.  Piglet was one of my favourites from the beginning and each week I kept waiting for him to get cut.

The opening with the three finalists singing "How Do I Live" along with Lee Ann Rimes was interesting... I was wondering what they were going to do with Chameleon.  He sang one line and then the rest of the song was Jojo and Nick singing, and him interjecting "yeah", "uhhh" etc.  Too funny.  I actually liked his "Gangster's Paradise", it was probably his best performance of the season.

7 hours ago, GaT said:

They all get "some" (AKA a lot) help from the producers, it's ridiculous that we're supposed to believe they all know that much about every celebrity. When Jenny pointed out that Gucci Mane was a military kid, I wanted to throw something at the TV.

The thing that stands out for me is that Ken even knows who all of these rappers are.  I've never heard of any of these people.  I've never even heard of Omarion.  Yet here we have a 50 year old who is throwing out names like Lil Kicks and Two Chains and whatever else like he's completely familiar with all of them.

I noticed that he was also a panelist on the first season of the UK version.  And Lindsay Lohan was a panelist on the Australian version.  I looked over the list of competitors and only knew maybe like two people in each season.  Are we supposed to believe that Ken and Lindsay are that worldly that they could keep track of every local celeb?  Clearly there is a lot of help being given.

1 hour ago, Josh371982 said:

What I dont get is the Production helping Jenny beat the actual singers for that golden ear trophy. Got help the "Pop Culture" Guru. Such crap when I've been keeping track and Robin and Nicole when it came time to guess who it was before unmasking guessed it right more than The Pop Culture Guru. I really swear Jenny was not guessing Nick Lachey at all when he first sang on the show. But gotta keep The Pop Culture Guru happy I guess 

Agreed... I think the Golden Ear should be for whoever gets the actual guess correct.  Maybe the first impression guess can be for bonus points.  But I guess if points were actually given for getting the final guess correct, then maybe some of them wouldn't pretend to not know who it is.  I don't buy at all that Nicole didn't know that was Nick Lachey.  But I don't buy for an instant that she thought he was Brian Littrell.  Maybe she did it just so there is a variety of guesses or to try and get Brian onto the show.

Here's hoping for a normal Season 6 with an actual audience and a good group of contestants.

• Love 3

What was weird about Nicole is I'm pretty sure last week she guessed Nick Lachey, and when asked why, said something like "I just know the voice". She went from that completely confident and positive, outloud, on-air, to this week guessing wrong. It makes no sense. (It makes no sense anyway, but they're even airing stuff that makes it make less sense.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

What was weird about Nicole is I'm pretty sure last week she guessed Nick Lachey, and when asked why, said something like "I just know the voice". She went from that completely confident and positive, outloud, on-air, to this week guessing wrong. It makes no sense. (It makes no sense anyway, but they're even airing stuff that makes it make less sense.)

I think that might have been two weeks ago?  I definitely remember her confidently saying "I think it's Nick Lachey" and I think it might have been the first time someone positively said it was him.  Maybe Robin in an earlier week said something like "I am thinking a boy bander maybe like someone like a Nick Lachey" but nobody actually said him for sure until her.  But then I think last week she said that "this is Brian Littrell, and if it's not him, it's Nick Lachey" and this week she stuck with Brian.

Nicole and Robin are supposed to have the better ears and really know the voices, so I thought it was weird how she was so solid on Brian.  

• Love 3

No real surprises with the reveals or the winners, I am glad that it was Piglet then Black Swan ad one and two, they were consistently some of the best singers in the season. I knew it was Nick Lachey pretty quickly, honestly between Nick and Jojo it was like my old middle school playlist has returned to me! No big surprises, but I am glad that we didn't have any silly filler like the wildcards and we just had the singing and the reveals. This was a pretty good season all things considered, but I am glad that we will presumably be getting a real audience and some better singers back for the next go around. Honestly I would be cool with a few new judges too, Ken can take his bad stand up on the road and bring in someone who actually knows about music. 

The strings this season has really been showing, maybe because of the changes in format to try and make up for the virtual audience and COVID issues, but the fixes and the help the judges get to know these ridiculously obscure bits of trivia about even people who aren't all that famous are getting pretty obvious. It doesn't kill the show for me that the competition aspect is phony, its all a big over the top karaoke contest that people do for fun with no real prize besides exposure, but I don't like when its so obvious, it hurts the fun. 

Jojo has an amazing voice, even if I think some of the songs they picked for her didn't show those pipes off as well as they could. I thought Gangsters Paradise was Chameleons best song for the whole show. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, leocadia said:

No big surprises on the reveals or the winner.  I was surprised that they opened with "How Do I Live  (or "leave" if you're LeeAnn) Without You" and followed up with Black Swan singing "How am I Supposed to Live Without You".  At first I thought she was repeating the same song and then realized that they're just very very similar.

I thought I was the only one that noticed LeeAnn singing "leave" for "live".

4 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I remember that.  I don't believe that Nicole didn't know that Piglet was Nick just like I don't believe that Jenny didn't know her husband's voice or moves.  I think they just didn't want Nicole to guess all of them correctly last night especially since Jenny was supposed to have the Golden Ear.  That stupid blonde wig was a dumb gimmick.

Even though, Nicole had 0 points for first impressions, I think she did have the most correct final guesses.  She looked beautiful tonight.

I agree that this was Chameleon's best performance.  I remember liking another one about three or four weeks ago.  I almost thought that the show was going to rig it so that he would win just so they could have their first rap winner.  After he was announced third, I had a feeling that Nick would win just so they didn't have three female singers as winners in a row.

I thought this season had decent to good singers.  There were only about two or three people that really couldn't sing. 

• Love 4