Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Opus One Cabernet, 2015, $500

• Start Topic

The family gathers to try and celebrate their parents’ anniversary without spoiling it — like every other year. However, after everyone learns what Tom’s new novel is about, the celebration may just be the worst one yet.

Original airdate: 5/19/21

My heart just about died when all that wine fell. I think about their squabbling and know that if my sister and I tried that, even as adults, my parents would put us over their knees and it wouldn't end well for us. Overall, I liked the show, and will watch again next season (if there is a next season).

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, hula-la said:

My heart just about died when all that wine fell. I think about their squabbling and know that if my sister and I tried that, even as adults, my parents would put us over their knees and it wouldn't end well for us. Overall, I liked the show, and will watch again next season (if there is a next season).

Its been renewed. Yay. I like the show too. The cast is charming, even when the characters are not. 

• Love 5

This, imo, was the best episode so far. From the early montage of bad anniversary dinners -- I liked how each sibling got a chance to be the one who ruined it -- to the end with his father's terrible writing of his backstory as a spy.  The parents were especially funny. I laughed quite a bit in this one.

I liked Denise and Marina having their own relationship outside of the family and hope we get to see more of that next season.

I think I let out a moan/gasp when all the bottles of wine went over.  I felt that. LOL.

Glad it has been renewed.

• Love 6
On 5/20/2021 at 11:51 AM, DearEvette said:

I liked Denise and Marina having their own relationship outside of the family and hope we get to see more of that next season.

Clearly those two need to get together as a couple. They may be the only sane ones in that extended family

Definitely a solid episode up until the business with the lit agent. It was treated as if being unwilling to take editing notes was "standing up for his family" when in fact making his characters more fictional would probably be a lot kinder to his family. (And, you know, better for the book.)

But yes, they all need to be grounded for a long time for that wine disaster! Some of it happened way too slow, too, and could have absolutely been stopped.

• Love 2

I'm surprised there were so few episodes, but I'm glad the show will continue. They did a marathon of all the episodes recently, and I caught up with what I'd missed (not too much apparently).

I liked how the show called out Sarah on the show for being so unbearable when they were acknowledging how all the family members looked in their depiction. She's the only character I don't like--her sending the book to everyone when she got hold of Tom's cellphone was the cherry on top of her being a colossal asshole--although Marina bothered me a little in the first half of the season because of how much she would mock Tom. It almost had me wondering if they were leading up to another one of the siblings getting divorced soon; I sort of liked seeing her taken down a peg the episode before this where she wasn't any better at picking people up than Tom was. In the reverse, I feel sorry for Denise... She has to be a saint to endure Sarah. The character's best moments are actually separate from Sarah--with Marina and Connor.

Best laugh for me was as Sarah rampaged about how she's described in the book, and Connor is trying to mirror her same level of anger mostly by repeating everything she says. He's really the best part of this, overall, the glue that holds both the family and the show together.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2