Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Woolly Bear Caterpillar

• Start Topic

Is anyone else still watching? I liked this episode. Poor Nicholas is so un-equipped to deal with Matilda's marriage idea. I also am not sure how much time has passed since last season, but I think Matilda needs to figure out what she's doing instead of Julliard. There must be good music school on the west coast (even if they are less prestigious). 

I guess Genevieve is just not into Oscar and Alex is still really annoyed with Nicholas. Maybe the season finale will be Alex ending things?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Is anyone else still watching? I liked this episode. Poor Nicholas is so un-equipped to deal with Matilda's marriage idea. I also am not sure how much time has passed since last season, but I think Matilda needs to figure out what she's doing instead of Julliard. There must be good music school on the west coast (even if they are less prestigious). 

I guess Genevieve is just not into Oscar and Alex is still really annoyed with Nicholas. Maybe the season finale will be Alex ending things?

I'm still watching. I liked this episode - I believe we're a few months since last season - as they are still in quarantine, and Matilda said she was "taking a gap year" to Drea in the episode where we met Drea's parents. I believe last time we were given an update, Matilda was still trying to figure out what she wants to do with her life. I believe there is a conservatory in San Francisco.

I hope that Alex and Nicholas don't break up - I want them to patch things up!

I'm guessing this season is going to be 10 episodes like last season? We're already on episode 7.... this show sure flies by, it is just great.

I'm wondering if Drea will decline Matilda's proposal, as she seems rather... levelheaded.

I loved the scenes between Nicholas and Drea's mom - those two are just great together.

• Love 3

I love the show and I'm watching. I don't know why sometimes I don't have anything to say about it.

I don't recall seeing the caterpillar; where was it in the episode? I usually think the cameos by the title creatures are awesome.

I agreed with everyone that 18 is too young to marry, but I'm a hypocrite because I married at 19 (my partner was 18) and it was fine. It didn't last forever (5 years later we split), but a lot of people get divorced and our relationship was better than a lot of ones I've seen, and I don't regret it at all. So I also kind of get where Drea's dad was coming from. 

I also think that just forbidding them is a mistake. The parents can't really stop them from marrying, as they are in fact old enough to do it without permission. A better strategy would be to explore why they want to do it, and ask them how they will handle various aspects of married life. Of course, maybe Drea will initiate that conversation once she gets the proposal.

I was really sad that there was only one ring to give, and even though it was nice that Matilda got it, it was sad that Genevieve won't. Ditto for how sad I was that Nicholas got nothing, other than guardianship over the gifts left for his sister. 

Nicholas and Alex really need to hash out what is going on between them, and not in an off the cuff manner. I like Alex but he seems to practically hate Nicholas at this point, and Nicholas is not taking Alex's feelings seriously at all, which makes it even worse. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, bros402 said:

I loved the scenes between Nicholas and Drea's mom - those two are just great together

I loved the scene where you just see the back of Suse's head marching up to the door, and Nicholas answers the door saying "I just really thought he'd say no!"

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I don't recall seeing the caterpillar; where was it in the episode?

It was right after Nicholas talks to Matilda in her bedroom.

I do hope Drea says no. Nicholas told her that if he got married to his "one" at 18, he'd be married to a woman. Matilda is straight. Drea and Matilda have figured out a way to make this relationship work for now, but long term? I can't forget that Drea said that Matilda having sex hurts her but she agrees to it so Matilda will love her. Not a great foundation for a marriage.

"Nicholas, you're a surprising tall man. Your boyfriend is a trained dentist. You have everything in the world going for you." For some reason that really cracked me up. 

Also, "Are you just incompetent?" "Yes, yes, I think that's it."

• Love 3

I liked this episode, and the cute wooly caterpillar, but man do Nicholas and Alex need to talk. There is just this really uncomfortable energy between them where Alex is mad at him and Nicholas either hasn’t noticed or just doesn’t get it, but it feels like something is about to blow. I hope they don’t break up, but they really need to talk.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I can't help but wonder if we're seeing Nicholas's totally inability to be a guardian to Matilda.  She's been making terrible decisions and he's not doing anything to guide her in the right direction.  First having the random guy come to have sex with Matilda in the house and now proposing to Drea.    As for the marriage.  There's a difference between saying no and giving her the ring.

Alex is really bugged by Nicholas but a lot of that is too much pandemic togetherness.

Edited by meatball77
32 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

I can't help but wonder if we're seeing Nicholas's totally inability to be a guardian to Matilda.  She's been making terrible decisions and he's not doing anything to guide her in the right direction.  First having the random guy come to have sex with Matilda in the house and now proposing to Drea.    As for the marriage.  There's a difference between saying no and giving her the ring.

Don't forget the whole Julliard debacle. Not that Matilda has to go to Julliard, but I feel like Nicholas took her to NYC, she had a total meltdown and so he took her home without ever discussing a new plan. 

17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I love the show and I'm watching. I don't know why sometimes I don't have anything to say about it.

I don't recall seeing the caterpillar; where was it in the episode? I usually think the cameos by the title creatures are awesome.

I was really sad that there was only one ring to give, and even though it was nice that Matilda got it, it was sad that Genevieve won't. Ditto for how sad I was that Nicholas got nothing, other than guardianship over the gifts left for his sister. 

Nicholas and Alex really need to hash out what is going on between them, and not in an off the cuff manner. I like Alex but he seems to practically hate Nicholas at this point, and Nicholas is not taking Alex's feelings seriously at all, which makes it even worse. 

I also love this show. The catepillar was at some point, it had a nice full frontal cameo

I was also sad about the ring and Nicholas not getting anything.

15 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I loved the scene where you just see the back of Suse's head marching up to the door, and Nicholas answers the door saying "I just really thought he'd say no!"

"Nicholas, you're a surprising tall man. Your boyfriend is a trained dentist. You have everything in the world going for you." For some reason that really cracked me up. 

Also, "Are you just incompetent?" "Yes, yes, I think that's it."

Yes, that scene was amaaazing

Those lines also cracked me up

15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I liked this episode, and the cute wooly caterpillar, but man do Nicholas and Alex need to talk. There is just this really uncomfortable energy between them where Alex is mad at him and Nicholas either hasn’t noticed or just doesn’t get it, but it feels like something is about to blow. I hope they don’t break up, but they really need to talk.  

They need to hash it out. Hopefully at an appropriate time.

11 hours ago, meatball77 said:

She's 18 - he can't stop her from doing anything. I imagine he has control over the trust until Matilda's a certain age - which was a very good point from Geneveive, he's trying to do things the best he can when he was raised in an... unhealthy home environment - just look at his mother

10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Don't forget the whole Julliard debacle. Not that Matilda has to go to Julliard, but I feel like Nicholas took her to NYC, she had a total meltdown and so he took her home without ever discussing a new plan. 

Honestly, as someone with autism, that is not the time to discuss a new plan (particularly since they have enough money that they could just fly back to NYC whenever). Matilda needed some time to process the entire NYC trip and to reorganize her thoughts. Bringing it up in the season premiere might've been good and making it a little story throughout the season might've been a good idea - but they might be saving that for next season (I really hope we have another season!), or maybe in the last few episodes of this season.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, bros402 said:

Honestly, as someone with autism, that is not the time to discuss a new plan (particularly since they have enough money that they could just fly back to NYC whenever). Matilda needed some time to process the entire NYC trip and to reorganize her thoughts. Bringing it up in the season premiere might've been good and making it a little story throughout the season might've been a good idea - but they might be saving that for next season (I really hope we have another season!), or maybe in the last few episodes of this season.

Oh, yes, I didn't mean he should have tried to discuss a new plan while they were still in New York. I get that she would need time to process. But it has been months now and it really seems like the subject should have been brought up by now. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Oh, yes, I didn't mean he should have tried to discuss a new plan while they were still in New York. I get that she would need time to process. But it has been months now and it really seems like the subject should have been brought up by now. 

ahhhh okay, your phrasing read to me as if it should've been done on the spot. I also agree with you that they should've started to come up with an alternate plan by now.

• Love 1

I'm watching too. I just save it for Monday nights for some reason. It's a good, Monday-night show for me.

I think this was my favorite episode of the season. I also loved the Nicholas and Suze scenes. They play off each other well.

Genevieve's story hadn't gotten as much notice as Matilda's, but she sure did seem to move on from Oscar really fast. And she also seems to feel rather scornful of him. I mean, okay, you're not into him, then don't date him. But the way she was mocking him struck me as really mean and unwarranted. Contrasting that with how she was trying to convince herself be nice to the girl who lied to everyone about her grandma dying, and I don't really get it. Who is she? What are her actual values??

Rewatched so I could see the wooly bear. Thanks for the heads up on where it was in the episode, so I made sure not to look away and miss it again.

23 hours ago, possibilities said:

Genevieve's story hadn't gotten as much notice as Matilda's, but she sure did seem to move on from Oscar really fast. And she also seems to feel rather scornful of him. I mean, okay, you're not into him, then don't date him. But the way she was mocking him struck me as really mean and unwarranted. Contrasting that with how she was trying to convince herself be nice to the girl who lied to everyone about her grandma dying, and I don't really get it. Who is she? What are her actual values??

Rewatched so I could see the wooly bear. Thanks for the heads up on where it was in the episode, so I made sure not to look away and miss it again.

I have to imagine we are going to see more Oscar.

I'm wondering what is going on with Barb. I also just remembered Talulah exists - did they drop her from the show?

On 5/16/2021 at 1:59 AM, bros402 said:

I was also sad about the ring and Nicholas not getting anything.

Presumably all the jewelry in the safe-deposit box previously belonged to the girls' mother, so it should go to them (although I'm surprised there wasn't anything for Matilda's 18th birthday/HS graduation).  Nicholas will hopefully inherit from his mom.  And if their Dad had a nice watch or something similar, I would assume that Nicholas now has it.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:26 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Presumably all the jewelry in the safe-deposit box previously belonged to the girls' mother, so it should go to them (although I'm surprised there wasn't anything for Matilda's 18th birthday/HS graduation).  Nicholas will hopefully inherit from his mom.  And if their Dad had a nice watch or something similar, I would assume that Nicholas now has it.

Nicholas said he got nothing. It looked like some of the boxes were newish, but it could be that it was all kept in pristine condition.