Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Criminal Justice

Airing May 4, 2021:

When a young man accidentally shoots a cop in self-defense and goes on the run, the team members find themselves in a moral dilemma on the best way to carry out justice. Barnes and her wife struggle with their plans to have another child.

Sorry it's late. Chat about the episode!

I'm just glad those men made it out of that situation alive and they are actually gonna look into what happened to the brother.

Ken is a jackass with cop blinders on who can't see a situation where a cop might have done something wrong or at the very least could have handled a situation better.

(edited)

Granger is careless with a gun. He shoots Nasir, then walks out of his house at night and fires a bullet in the ground. 

I understand Johnson's anger towards the cop but I don't feel bad for him. He's tresspassing on Granger's property and spray painting his car. He has to expect the owner would walk out and defend his property. Didn't seem right for Charlotte to suggest Granger should have gone back in the house and just call the police. She would have expected Barnes to grab her gun and do the same thing Granger did to protect their family.

Looked like Barnes got some of Tiffany's (from FBI) leftover lines from her episode. Those two should get in touch.

There's a "suppose" manhunt for Johnson and he made it all the way from Buffalo to Queens??!!! Impressive that the man found many friends on his entire trip and not one racist to tip the cops!

Now Johnson is going to Solano's home to hold him captive. This story needs a follow up. I can see Johnson getting a lengthy jail sentence for all this. Charlotte will need to bring her "A" game on this defense.

If Charles was wearing a gray coat and the radio call was for a blue coat, how did Charles' lawyer not get him off for this 7 years ago? Also, Solano was fired for being a bad cop. They couldn't get a retrial?

Curious choice of words by Isobel adding "homicide by local police" in her plea to Johnson. I know it's the writer's virtue signaling but still the FBI wouldn't show their stance that way. 

Johnson's brother got out of jail quick. Lucky some evil warden didn't delay his temporary release.

Strange to see the agents arguing, getting heated for this case when they were never shown to be sensitive to any of their previous fugitives. 

The show doesn't bother give any mention to Clint anymore.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1

I knew this episode was going to be wild when they had a “viewer discretion advised” warning at the beginning, I guess they just had it because of the sensitive racial nature of the case. I’m not a fan of heavy handed political episodes but I thought this was okay. The investigation was good and I liked how the team handled the case professionally, particularly LaCroix, they handled the case well and did a good job bringing it to a peaceful resolution.

Not to start a big fight, but I was on Crosby’s side at the start, the cop had the right to defend himself and his property, the guy was trespassing and vandalizing, and while the cop may have been overly aggressive by firing his gun quickly, he still had the right to defend himself and his property and the guy shouldn’t have been trespassing and vandalizing. So I hope the guy does prison time for murder or manslaughter, and I didn’t feel much sympathy for him. The cop did appear to have done an unjustified shooting in the previous case and should’ve been charged, but he still had a right to defend his property.

I wonder if the cop the perp took hostage at the end was dirty or if his brother really was guilty? They never clarified that. And I was shocked that the agents let the brother go into the hostage situation, or that they were able to get him there so quickly.

Nice to see a crossover appearance from Isobel but her dialogue was weird, it seemed odd for the FBI to be staking out a position so clearly.

Overall a decent episode.

25 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Johnson's brother got out of jail quick. Lucky some evil warden didn't delay his temporary release.

Quick is an understatement. It was about 30 seconds from when LaCroix said to get him released and he arrived at the scene.

Also, Is there ever any FBI episode where a perp doesn't run from the agents and gets arrested without incident?

• Love 2

Sigh! This episode turned me off, but I watched it. First of all, I know it's only a show and the video in the beginning was for us to know what this show was going to be about. But....I felt the show's goal was to portray cops as just wanting to shoot a black man. They really never said why the cop stopped him. Traffic violation? Warrants? Also, the former cop taken hostage was again portrayed as a bad cop. We see on tv and read on social media all the time about these issues. It's nice to get away from all that once in a while. This show is one of my favorites, so I guess I can chalk this one up as just a bad episode for me.

• Love 3

I have a feeling this is just the first of many episodes (from all “cop” shows) that will feature a twist on this theme. We are in for a lot of moralizing over the next several months. And maybe that’s not a bad thing. 

I also don't like how Isobel tried to minimize by saying a handful of cops she might as well had said "Bad Apples". And instead of people of color I would have preferred she said black, seeing as the black community is disproportionately affected. 

You know, when the Dad said that he "hid a GPS tracker" in her car, I thought it was a little thing---like the size of a quarter. But, no, it was huge. And to hide it in a Kleenex box? What if she ran out of tissues and needed to replace it---bingo, she sees that giant tracker (why were the tissues in the back seat anyway?) There's gotta be hundreds of better hiding places for it---under driver's/passenger's seat, in the spare tire well, under a floor mat, in the trunk, etc. No wonder she knew about it!

(edited)
23 minutes ago, illdoc said:

You know, when the Dad said that he "hid a GPS tracker" in her car, I thought it was a little thing---like the size of a quarter. But, no, it was huge. And to hide it in a Kleenex box? What if she ran out of tissues and needed to replace it---bingo, she sees that giant tracker (why were the tissues in the back seat anyway?) There's gotta be hundreds of better hiding places for it---under driver's/passenger's seat, in the spare tire well, under a floor mat, in the trunk, etc. No wonder she knew about it!

Aren't they usually magnetized and stuck in a wheel well? I guess the Dad was a novice at spy tactics.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Sigh! This episode turned me off, but I watched it. First of all, I know it's only a show and the video in the beginning was for us to know what this show was going to be about. But....I felt the show's goal was to portray cops as just wanting to shoot a black man. They really never said why the cop stopped him. Traffic violation? Warrants? Also, the former cop taken hostage was again portrayed as a bad cop. We see on tv and read on social media all the time about these issues. It's nice to get away from all that once in a while. This show is one of my favorites, so I guess I can chalk this one up as just a bad episode for me.

11 hours ago, DavidWeis1 said:

I have a feeling this is just the first of many episodes (from all “cop” shows) that will feature a twist on this theme. We are in for a lot of moralizing over the next several months. And maybe that’s not a bad thing. 

I didn't care for this episode either.  It was too much like watching the news.  I want to be entertained not forced to watch and/or think about the social issues of the day.   I don't want my TV shows to mirror the news.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 4
On 5/5/2021 at 7:45 PM, AnnA said:

.   I don't want my TV shows to mirror the news.

At least Law and Orders’ ‘ripped from the headlines m’ would veer off on tangents so that the comparisons ended shortly after the episode began.  They would  take an event and say ‘well what if This happened’.... You didn’t feel like you were being talked at or lectured to about a social topic, but you got the point they were trying to make. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

At least Law and Orders’ ‘ripped from the headlines m’ would veer off on tangents so that the comparisons ended shortly after the episode began.  They would  take an event and say ‘well what if This happened’.... You didn’t feel like you were being talked at or lectured to about a social topic, but you got the point they were trying to make. 

Exacrtly!   Well said!  I watch to be entertained not lectured.

• Love 1