Type keyword(s) to search

For All Mankind: In the Media

• Start Topic

Season 3 has finished filming! There's IG posts by Coral PeñaShantel VanSanten, and Wrenn Schmidt, who seems to have the remains of something on her face. Possibly latex, from old person makeup. Or maybe something else. We'll see eventually. :) The official account only posted a short-term video.

It's going to be weird, seeing the 90s. I remember that decade all right, and all the advanced tech rippling out is bound to cause some surprising changes. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Random speculation. Is that President Hillary Clinton we hear at the end?

No, it's Ellen. Jodi Balfour mentioned it on her IG. She could be President Wilson, or she could be a more Elon Musk kind of character.

• Useful 1
On 4/26/2022 at 5:04 PM, Anduin said:

No, it's Ellen. Jodi Balfour mentioned it on her IG. She could be President Wilson, or she could be a more Elon Musk kind of character.

Neither career path makes sense for the character of Ellen.

So, EW has a first look. So far, promising. Turns out that Ellen is running for the senate. Given she's Wilson, she must still be in the closet. But I remember the 90s. Lipstick lesbianism was trendy. At least in the second half of the decade, women were often making out on TV, and I always appreciated it. These days, I find it a little ho hum. I actually thought Jodi Balfour was just gay for pay, until I learned she was actually in a relationship with another woman. Once again, I guess incorrectly. :)

Dani and Ed both want to lead the Mars expedition. Somehow I suspect it'll be Ed. While I like Dani more as a character, Ed has the better track record. Apollo 10, the expedition to find ice, the time alone, Pathfinder. While Dani's Apollo-Soyuz linkup may have prevented a nuclear war, she also has the stain of breaking her arm. It's a public sign that she's not quite up to the top job. Now, I know she took one for the team, but if I didn't, I'd pick Ed every time. But it's not my job to choose. Who makes that call?

Margo has an unflattering haircut in that picture. I don't remember anyone having anything similar back then. She's never been particularly fashionable, but really?

Now, the characters not mentioned. Molly: I hope she's made a recovery or got a transplant or something. She's one of the more fun characters and I want her to stay around. Aleida: probably still working for Margo, unless she's defected to the other party. Kelly: hopefully she's flying by now, though Ed wouldn't be her CO. He'd make sure she was with someone who would do her right, but wouldn't command her himself. Karen: I don't know. Maybe running another business or something.

A short little feature. I just got wondering. Apparently flying time to Mars, even at its closest approach, is around two months. But most of that is coasting. I swear I read somewhere you can do it in two weeks or so if you burn half way, then brake the other half. I might be off with the duration of both, but you get the idea. The problem with that is how much fuel you're taking and how heavy it is. Anyway, I'm wondering, given the three-horse race, if they'll all burn and spend minimal time on the float. They're already using nuclear power in space, it makes sense.

• Applause 1
(edited)

That shot of the people on the Ridge on Mars looks a lot like a shot from Season 2 of The Expanse. That's not a Criticism, just an observation.

I. Can't. Wait.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Wait, you're saying Margo wouldn't wear a red leather pencil skirt?

I'm sure she would look good if she so chose, but I doubt she has one in her wardrobe. :)

• LOL 2
(edited)

So excited for season 4 already! The further in time we go, the more the FAM verse veres away from are own timeline. Will the "War on Terror" not happen because the Cold War never ended? Will 9/11 not happen? I have questions!

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, marinw said:

So excited for season 4 already! The further in time we go, the more the FAM verse veres away from are own timeline. Will the "War on Terror" not happen because the Cold War never ended? Will 9/11 not happen? I have questions!

I'm excited too, but I hope they don't keep shoving Danny and Jimmy down our throats, and Kelly is not that great of a character either. If S4 jumps another decade or more in time, Ed and Danielle will be too old to go to space, and Margo will probably be retired (if Aleida doesn't turn her in for treason before that, in which case she'll be in prison). So I'd like a set of fresh characters rather than focusing on the children of the original ones.

• Love 1

@xaxat I thought the exact same thing! I found it both a bit confusing and very funny. As both shows deal with timelines, in a way, I was trying very hard to find a way that this could be the same person from alternate timelines 😅

I recommend Paper Girls, by the way, both the comics and the show, it is a nice universe with competent creative teams behind the two mediums.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Tuggy said:

As both shows deal with timelines, in a way, I was trying very hard to find a way that this could be the same person from alternate timelines

The funny thing is that in FAM, his Larry is aged up. 

Spoiler

On PG, his Larry is aged down.

• Wink 1

“Running out of resources” Didn’t the FAM timeline have lots of clean energy?

One of my favourite counter-factual shows. So happy to have a trailer and a date.

Edited by marinw
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

It’s starting to sound like a prequel to The Expanse. 

Starting to? I thought that after I watched the very first episode.

Also, hi, everyone. I burned out of space stuff during season 3, but I took a break and came back. I'm sure you all missed me terribly. :)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I'm really looking forward to this. FAM is both optimistic and realistic. The FAM verse isn’t perfect but it seems objectively better than our world. 

That said, getting personal with a literal f*ckton of radium seems hazardous to one’s health.😬

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

No Danny!  Yay!

Actually, I checked on IMDB. He's in ep 1. I really hope the writers listened to all the negative feedback about him and shoved him to the back of the pack.

Very mild spoilers for the first episode: 

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/review-for-all-mankind-season-4-review-apple-sci-fi

I am looking forward to the news clips about how the FAM verse diverges from our own in the late 90's and early 00's. The further out we go the more the timelines differ. Especially in technology, the FAM verse of the 00's looks to be ahead of our own 20's. Politics will diverge in all sorts of ways I look forward to seeing.

Edited by marinw

Apple+ just put out some news recaps of what happens in the FAM timeline between '96 and '01. They are fascinating. To quote Liz Lemon, I want to go to there.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

One of the news clips stated that Canada and China didn’t join the M-7 in order to pursue their own interests. That seems very un-Canadian to me, a proud Canadian. The Canada of the FAM timeline must economically be a very different nation in the ‘00s without all the the oil money.

Edited by marinw
  • Useful 2

Apple Renews Globally Acclaimed, Hit Space Drama "For All Mankind" for Season Five and Announces New Spinoff Series "Star City"

A robust expansion of the "For All Mankind" universe, "Star City" is a propulsive, paranoid thriller that takes us back to the key moment in the alt-history retelling of the space race - when the Soviet Union became the first nation to put a man on the moon. But this time, we explore the story from behind the Iron Curtain, showing the lives of the cosmonauts, the engineers and the intelligence officers embedded among them in the Soviet space program, and the risks they all took to propel humanity forward. "Star City" is created by Wolpert, Nedivi, and Moore. Nedivi and Wolpert serve as showrunners and executive produce alongside Moore and Maril Davis of Tall Ship Productions.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Glad to see it will be back for Season 5.  I'm curious if we will be treated to 80-somethings being NASA's only astronauts capable of leadership positions, or if they are going to fully move on to the next generation.   

• Like 2
23 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Glad to see it will be back for Season 5.  I'm curious if we will be treated to 80-somethings being NASA's only astronauts capable of leadership positions, or if they are going to fully move on to the next generation.   

Danielle and Ed better be retired. Or if Ed wanted to keep his wish of dying on Mars, then have him work the bar like a regular Sam Malone.

• LOL 1

With this new Russian based spinoff, (super interesting idea), I wonder if we will see all the things from FAM but from the Russian angle. If so, we might get to see young Danielle, Ed and company in cameos. 

• Like 1