Type keyword(s) to search

Nobody (2021)

arc
  • Start Topic

Hutch Mansell fails to defend himself or his family when two thieves break into his suburban home one night. The aftermath of the incident soon strikes a match to his long-simmering rage. In a barrage of fists, gunfire and squealing tires, Hutch must now save his wife and son from a dangerous adversary -- and ensure that he will never be underestimated again.

Bob Odenkirk, Christopher Lloyd, RZA, Aleksey Serebryakov

OK, in some ways this is "Bob Odenkirk is another John Wick". It's a little less baroque in its mythology than the John Wick series. But boy the action beats are satisfying and it's as fun in its own way as the Wick series.

• Love 2

Thanks for starting a thread, I was wondering where this one was!

Fun movie overall. Not as grim as the John Wick series, that's for sure. It reminded me of a blend of John Wick, Red and a little bit of Baby Driver for having the music as a character.

My only nitpick is to say that if Hutch was in handcuffs and being interrogated the police certainly would have taken his can opener and the kitten away.

I'd like to see more movies in this series.

• Love 2

Much like Viggo's "Oh" told all you need to know about John Wick, the Vietnam vet's reaction to Hutch's tattoo told you all you need to know about him.

I like that while Hutch was a badass, he was not invincible. He got the everloving crap kicked out of him.

Stealth MVP, Christopher Lloyd as Hutch's dad. Apparently badassery is a Mansell genetic trait.

• Love 3

I can see this being unofficially a part of the John Wick universe, seeing as that there is a proposed upcoming series about "The Continental".

I missed that Harry isn’t just a close friend of Hutch, he’s literally Hutch’s brother.

Same. It took me looking on IMDB to confirm it was Rza in that role and saw that he was credited as Harry Mansell. 

As much as I love the  John Wick films I preferred "Nobody" as it's a trim 90 minutes and doesn't really get too deep into the weeds with exposition. It's like 2007's "Shoot 'em Up" starring Clive Owen and Monica Bellucci. Just mad action for 90 minutes. 

• Love 1

I'm more of an art movie type, and don't know anything about John Wick, but I liked the trailer for this (which I must have seen a dozen times) and y'all's assessments here were encouraging.  So I finally went and it was great!  Thanks for posting in this lightly used thread.  I was influenced and I'm glad.

• Love 2

@StatisticalOutlier, you might like the John Wick series too then! The first one somehow has slightly less story than Nobody, but more lore, and what lore it has is more stylized. But they’re both fun action movies.

If Nobody does become a series, I hope the wife and kids join the family calling. Hutch and Harry’s mom too.

• Love 1

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Very violent but as already said Hutch being human and getting the crap kicked out of him made it more watchable as I hate when the good guys barely flinch in fight scenes. At first I couldn’t believe Odenkirk as the tough guy character but I think that’s what made the film so unique - that he was the last guy you’d be threatened by or expect to take you down (at first). I liked the scenes with his kids and as said would love to see them get more involved in the family business if more movies get made. 

Christopher Lloyd - loved the scene in the old folks home when the Russians come to “get him”. So good and funny when the nurse hears the shots and comes to check only to think it’s the tv. I did have trouble understanding Lloyd speaking though. 

• Love 1

Finally got around to watching this on HBO Max and I thought it was really well done.  What I liked was that Hitch’s motivation was realistic and I like that he had something to lose.  With the John Wick  series you see a man who has nothing left to lose so him fighting to the death for some ideal is ultimately meaningless.   With Hutch this whole thing started because a couple of idiots robbed his house and on his way home after not killing them he ran into some other idiots one if which was the brother of a Russian psychopath who was a close representative of who he used to be.     I like that motivation.  

And yeah I would love to see a second movie with the wife and son getting bigger parts.

This movie was so full of cliches that they didn't even bother to give explanations of why anybody did anything.

Why did nobody and his wife have martial problems, who knows and who cares.

Why did nobody have millions of dollars stashed away, but he rode the bus.

Anybody who has regularly ridden a bus knows that you can not continually get off and on a bus in the middle of the night. The amount of time you would spend waiting for the next bus, no way could this be used to search for tattoo parlors.

Why would somebody who has millions of dollars to protect, protect it by throwing it in a big pile in the middle of the floor of some building.

This movie way just somebody thinking of creative and flashy ways to kill people, zero thought went into the plot.

42 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Why did nobody and his wife have martial problems, who knows and who cares.

Because he wasn't being his authentic self and his marriage went stale as he punched the clock day in and day out. His wife immediately becomes much more interested in him once he is able to express himself for who he really is.

42 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

As an auditor he knows well that living beyond one's visible means is a sure-fire way to attract unwanted attention. For a time, he was that attention. So I think he was just being careful there.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, dwmarch said:
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

As an auditor he knows well that living beyond one's visible means is a sure-fire way to attract unwanted attention. For a time, he was that attention. So I think he was just being careful there.

Having a car is typically obtainable for anyone who has a job. His marriage might have improved if he offered to drive the kids to school and could get home faster so that he could spend more time at home with the kids. Interacting with other people, especially those that ride the bus tends to send you into a violent rage (especially since they are mostly school children).

On 2/2/2022 at 12:59 PM, Chaos Theory said:

With Hutch this whole thing started because a couple of idiots robbed his house and on his way home after not killing them he ran into some other idiots one if which was the brother of a Russian psychopath who was a close representative of who he used to be.     I like that motivation.  

I do too, now that you articulated it for me.  Thank you!

On 2/5/2022 at 7:41 PM, AnimeMania said:

This movie way just somebody thinking of creative and flashy ways to kill people

Not just that. They also thought of incredibly unnecessary ways to dispose of dead bodies. John Wick merely had that cleaning service, but Hutch had a special LP that would turn the basement into a crematorium. He could have just lit a match.

My first thought was why in hell did the bus driver open the door?  She was certainly under no obligation to do so given the men’s condition.

but they had to find some way to escalate things.

• Love 1

Hooray, a sequel!

On 5/22/2022 at 9:46 PM, Anela said:

I don't know why I was worried, when those guys showed up at the nursing home. Go, Hutch's dad!! My dad laughed out loud. 

Loved Hutch’s dad, and not just because of my fondness for Christopher Lloyd. He better be in the sequel!