Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Charleston, SC

Charles Sumner gets caned on the Senate floor, Judge J. Waties Waring helps to end segregation, and a slave named Robert Smalls commandeers a Confederate warship.

Guest stars: Patton Oswalt as Charles Sumner, Johnny Knoxville as Preston Brooks, Busy Phillips as Elizabeth Waring, Rich Fulcher as Waties Waring, Brandon T. Jackson as Robert Smalls, Brian Mganga as Young Robert Smalls.

Narrators: Seth Weitburg, Dave Ross, Mark Gagliardi

I had never heard of most of the historical figures whose stories were featured tonight, so that was cool. I'd like to know their source material and how they do research for the show.

It looks like Derek Waters is really over the premise, he seems frustrated and bored dealing with the storytellers, and I honestly can't really blame him because in real life I don't like being around drunk people and I don't drink myself, so I always feel like a bit of a hypocrite watching this show. TV makes drunkeness seem a lot more fun than I personally find it to be in real life. But I don't recall noticing him seeming like this in the past, so maybe he needs to pass the job on to someone else who enjoys it more? He still seems to enjoy doing roles in the re-enactments. So maybe someone else can host the other parts?

• Love 1

The Waties Waring segment was really funny. I need to go back and watch it again, because I remember laughing a lot. I do remember dying when the actors played out the dialogue of "This is a really nice part of town..." Heh.

Actually, this was a pretty good episode all around. Interesting stories, really drunk narrators, and good acting.

It looks like Derek Waters is really over the premise, he seems frustrated and bored dealing with the storytellers, and I honestly can't really blame him because in real life I don't like being around drunk people and I don't drink myself, so I always feel like a bit of a hypocrite watching this show. TV makes drunkeness seem a lot more fun than I personally find it to be in real life. But I don't recall noticing him seeming like this in the past, so maybe he needs to pass the job on to someone else who enjoys it more? He still seems to enjoy doing roles in the re-enactments. So maybe someone else can host the other parts?

I don't think he's over the premise or fed up with people getting drunk, but I have noticed that we see more of him being concerned for the other's well-being. Maybe this is in response to criticism that the show glorifies drinking to excess. 

I liked all three stories. I think my favorite might have been Charles Somner because Patton Oswalt and Johnny Knoxville were so good. But I also liked the second one. So funny when Waties says about segregation, "We're fine with each other but black people go over there, right?"

It looks like Derek Waters is really over the premise, he seems frustrated and bored dealing with the storytellers, and I honestly can't really blame him because in real life I don't like being around drunk people and I don't drink myself, so I always feel like a bit of a hypocrite watching this show.

He's told the narrators not to drink beforehand and get totally wasted because it takes forever to edit the segment. So, I don't blame him. I don't think he's bored because when they are fun-drunk, he's having a good time. 

You know what? You get that drunk? You're not back on the show. It's that simple. I'm sure there's plenty of people who would narrate. 

I knew about Sumner, but I didn't know the other two segments. It seems like the South has the more interesting stories lately. Busy Phillips was fantastic too. 

And how confident he was going into it, because he'd done the show before....

Oh, Gagliardi....

The fact that he thought Jager Bombs would be the solution pretty much made anything other than him lying on the floor disappointing.

Honestly though, what adult does Jager bombs? I would have been really pissed if I was MW. I think he was kind of. 

And I have no problem drinking. I like to drink. But I stick to only like 3 things and that's it. You start messing around with your booze and you end up incoherent on the floor. 

I loved this episode.  I was familiar with the Charles Sumner caning, but not the other two, so it was fun hearing new stories.  And I am not gonna lie, kinda want to know more about the guy who got stabbed while getting a hand-job.

Jager bombs and drunk history don't appear to mix.  As much fun as it may be for us to watch, I am sure it was a bitch to edit.  I don't blame him for getting a little pissed.

It was awesome when the last narrator, Gagliardi, started speaking gibberish at the end of the story. I even rewound to seei f any of it made some sense. But nope! That's what jager bombs will get ya.

I'd really like to know the logic behind, "the last time I drank whiskey and was on the floor, so now I'm going to do jager bombs instead." I mean, everyone had to have been "dude, no."

Derek is the boss though. He's said that he's getting tired of the too drunk behavior, so he could shut that shit down. Although, I think maybe that would have been his point. There's a deleted scene where Derek bets him that he'll end up on the floor, so he might have decided to roll with it to prove a point. 

It makes for shitty narration anyway. The narrator for Rosa Parks was drunk, but not at this level, and it was a lot funnier. 

• Love 1

The level of drunkenness that seems to work out best/funniest is when someone is just drunk enough to be self-aware and trying to prove "see, I'm still lucid!" by purposely speaking extra clearly and properly -- and constantly failing, but by inches.

• Love 2

I'd really like to know the logic behind, "the last time I drank whiskey and was on the floor, so now I'm going to do jager bombs instead." I mean, everyone had to have been "dude, no."

Maybe he thought that the energy drink portion of the Jagerbomb would keep him alert?

I'm an adult and still partake in Jagerbombs when I go out to start the night off. But one too many and yeah....you're gonna be on the floor.

I think I damn near died laughing at the Waring segment - I don't know who was acting out the "I know this guy who got stabbed getting a handjob" part, but her reaction was perfect. Busy Phillips was hilarious.

I also loved Derek Waters being unable to contain his laughter at how drunk Mark Gagliardi was.

• Love 1