Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

moonb, given how unaware and uninformed Rory was about Ivy League requirements when she herself was a junior (!) at Chilton and  ever so keen to go to Harvard, why would one expect Lorelai to be any more knowledgeable? I would expect the college-bound child to take the lead, rather than have a parent do so. As indeed Rory did when she chose her alternate schools.

As to Lorelai's own college plans,  there must have been some discussion in the Gilmore household, as she was supposed to attend Vassar. Although I can readily accept that her pregnancy and Rory's birth might have driven any recollection of  college planning from her own mind. I do wish we had been told why neither Smith nor Yale was considered appropriate for Lorelai given how much attention Richard and Emily appeared to  place on tradition.

The funny thing is, early in the series when Rory is presented, Lorelai is shown to be fairly knowledgeable about being a debutante, the requirements, the dance steps, and so forth. Obviously, she almost made her debut and that clearly coincided with her discovery of her pregnancy. But if she doesn't have any particular idea about how to get Rory into Harvard, that makes me wonder exactly what Richard and Emily's plans were about how her life should have gone. Was she supposed to be an Emily at Vassar, groomed to be more of a corporate wife? Or was she supposed to be more of a Richard at Yale, becoming the businesswoman she eventually became anyway? The mind boggles. 

• Love 5

or that Lorelai could simply badger Harvard into taking her.

PROBABLY THAT.  :D

the Rory-college acceptance arc is one that I like the impression I have of it in my head rather than the actual details--or maybe just "more than" and not "rather". Frankly, it makes sense that Lorelai would be knee jerk against Yale, and it certainly gave the foursome another point of flashbang conflict. I found the episode where Richard sets up the interview for Rory at Yale without even giving her the courtesy of knowing about it ahead of time--uh, I always find that episode more realistic than a lot of things on the show. Richard is both that lacking of attention to Rory's details *and* that sure of his granddaughter's poise, wit, and charm. And, Rory is rightfully upset not to be given a chance to prepare or even know about it ahead of time...wtf was he thinking.

That said, I *hate* and skip the scene at the Christmas party with those weird Gilmore guests when Lorelai finds out Rory applied to more than just Harvard, and indeed applied to Yale and Princeton and possibly some unnamed back-up schools as well. IT'S FUCKING RIDICULOUS how mad Lorelai gets that Rory dared to apply to more than one school, the most selective in the entire country btw (though obviously all the Ivies are basically extremely hard to gain acceptance to)--and of course she'd apply to Yale. She had all sorts of pull there. Duh, Lorelai.

• Love 6

Rory has a piece in the application stupidity. Chilton required the students to apply to multiple schools. While it's known that Lorelai didn't read Chilton communications, Rory needed checks for each application, which should have shown up on a bank statement, and I don't think Rory would have a significant bank account of her own. Wouldn't the parent have to sign an application for financial aid?

Rory and Lorelai were certainly quite adept at denial. 

I'm also a little surprised that Emily didn't push her alma mater for Rory. 

• Love 3

Maybe Rory got money orders at Doose's Market. lol.

I recall application fees being $25-$50--though often waived if the school really wants the student. Maybe Rory had fee waivers--probably not.

I thought application fees were ridiculous and I personally trashed my Northwestern application when I realized they seriously wanted $50 to look at a few sheets of paper. F that.

• Love 2

moonb with respect I think you are comparing apples and oranges concerning Lorelai's familiarity with debutante rules and customs and her lack of knowledge of those involved for college applications. Lorelai likely attended dance and etiquette classes for several years as a child. (Remember those little girls in Lorelai's First Cotillion.) College interests probably began when she was in her high school years. And by all accounts she was then developing and following other hobbies.

Tiny nitpick for that Cotillion episode. At the formal meal at the senior Gilmore home, Emily comments to young Charlotte that dining will be Service La Russe (i.e. courses served in sequence). Then goes on to say that Russe has nothing to do with the Russians. She is wrong. It has everything to do with the Russians. That is how formal meals were served in the 18th and 19th centuries in the court of   her favourite non-Gilmore family, the Romanovs. It spread from Russia to France and then beyond. And is now the usual means of serving meals.

Where you raised by wolves, Emily? That's a pretty basic point of dining history and etiquette and certainly should have been known by someone teaching young people how to live in proper society.

• Love 1

And Emily had this fascination with Russian culture throughout the show, too. Or her idea of it, anyway.

Lorelai likely attended dance and etiquette classes for several years as a child. (Remember those little girls in Lorelai's First Cotillion.) College interests probably began when she was in her high school years. And by all accounts she was then developing and following other hobbies.

That's what I was getting at, though - fanwanking that perhaps it was more important for Lorelai to be a social success than an academic one, and that's why she didn't know much about the college process. By the time Rory is that age, Richard specifically wants Rory to avoid that "frivolous" life. 

• Love 2

That said, I *hate* and skip the scene at the Christmas party with those weird Gilmore guests when Lorelai finds out Rory applied to more than just Harvard, and indeed applied to Yale and Princeton and possibly some unnamed back-up schools as well. IT'S FUCKING RIDICULOUS how mad Lorelai gets that Rory dared to apply to more than one school, the most selective in the entire country btw (though obviously all the Ivies are basically extremely hard to gain acceptance to)--and of course she'd apply to Yale. She had all sorts of pull there. Duh, Lorelai.

It was actually Thanksgiving, but I totally agree. I hate that scene. First, she was just so completely rude to everyone.  At that point, Richard and Emily had done nothing wrong in regards to Rory applying to other schools. (I mean, Richard was in the wrong with the interview, but that was unrelated to the applications.)  It would have been one thing if she'd applied to just Harvard and Yale  - that might look like there was grandparent pressure, but she pretty much applied to a wide range of colleges as Chilton would have suggested.

I hate Lorelai in that scene! I seriously feel embarrassed for her! I particularly dislike the way she apologizes to the other guests for witnessing their fight, but does so in a way that indicates she believes she has done nothing wrong.

I hate Lorelai in that scene! I seriously feel embarrassed for her! I particularly dislike the way she apologizes to the other guests for witnessing their fight, but does so in a way that indicates she believes she has done nothing wrong.

• Love 4

That scene, in my mind, underscores one of her main disagreements with her parents. She feels they are overly concerned about appearances. But she is (usually) not concerned enough with appearances.  Not having a huge fight in front of guests isn't about a facade- it's about manners.  Emily and Richard took appearances too far in one direction; Lorelai takes the pendulum way too far in the other direction.

I too was appalled by Lorelai's behaviour. She struck me as very much her parent's child at that dinner. Angrily expressing her views with no concern or respect for the others present. And out of proportion to the "crime" committed.

She reminded me of Richard bellowing to the Headmaster after Rory's business project didn't take top prize. Or Emily...well, Emily most days.

• Love 2

YES.  What is it she says, I'm sorry you had to see this? or something like that?  Ugh.

• Love 2
YES.  What is it she says, I'm sorry you had to see this? or something like that?  Ugh.

Indeed.  She behaved pretty immaturely.  I thought Emily was kind of right in her comment that Lorelai simply hated her parents so much, that she couldn't just accept that Rory made a decision for herself to apply to Yale.   

• Love 2

Having been a party guest in just such a situation, it's so horrible for a guest to witness something like that let alone feel like you are responsible just by mentioning something totally innocuous.  Shame on her. If her mother had put her in that kind of spot she would have gone ballistic.  And it was obviously uncomfortable for Rory as well.  

• Love 5

Looking for theories....

I have never understood the big 180 that Lorelai does with the whole Jason situation when her father links up with Floyd to back stab Jason and Lorelai confronts him.  She goes on and on about how Richard is destroying Jason's career and tries to reason with him (Rickard is stone cold, in my opinion).  She doesn't want to go to FND because of his attitude and evil moves.

But when Jason says that he is suing Richard, Lorelai outright dumps him because she is suddenly overwhelmed with family loyalty.  Huh?

• Love 3

Looking for theories....

I have never understood the big 180 that Lorelai does with the whole Jason situation when her father links up with Floyd to back stab Jason and Lorelai confronts him.  She goes on and on about how Richard is destroying Jason's career and tries to reason with him (Rickard is stone cold, in my opinion).  She doesn't want to go to FND because of his attitude and evil moves.

But when Jason says that he is suing Richard, Lorelai outright dumps him because she is suddenly overwhelmed with family loyalty.  Huh?

Good point! It would seem more likely if Lorelai said to Jason, I cannot be with someone who is suing my father, but still remained angry with Richard. Richard was super cold in this episode!

• Love 1

So in Season 1 when Emily found out about Lorelai's engagement because Sookie called her to invite her to the engagement party...wasn't this before Lorelai had actually said 'yes' to Max? Isn't it a little strange that she started planning the party and inviting people already? I understand telling them that he had proposed, but everybody was acting at the beginning of the episode like she had already said yes and then they went on to show what a big moment it was when she finally agreed.

No, Lorelai had said yes to Max and then informed Sookie that she was getting married. Sookie needed confirmation that it was Max who was to be the groom and then began planning the wedding meal. The engagement party preparation came later.  It was in the first episode of the second season.

Looking for theories.... about Jason and Lorelai's defense of him, then breakup

I'm not sure a theory is needed. Lorelai struggled to get her father to change his mind and not destroy Jason's career in order to save his own. That failed.

Her parents separated over this business deal, which was too risky for Emily to take without being told.

Rory would continue to have a good relationship with her grandparents. 

Jason refused to not sue Richard. 

Lorelai had a clear choice to make, Jason or her family. She never once alluded to Jason being a forever guy, so she chose. Easy choice in my mind.

• Love 3
Her parents separated over this business deal, which was too risky for Emily to take without being told.

I thought Emily and Richard's separation was more about Richard's general attitude towards Emily.  The lawsuit, Richard's actions regarding Jason and how that affected their relationship with Lorelai and having their finances at risk may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but I thought they built it up rather nicely how Emily really felt as though Richard did not respect her or her role in the household. 

• Love 5

Where has this thread been all of my life?! I love it. I thought I was done with my GG reruns, but ABC Family started running 2 epis per day, and for some reason I was able to delete 1 epi from the DVR, but not 2. I'm more hooked now than ever actually.

Another one that I'm bringing in from a different thread - how in the world did Dean have time (not to mention the $$$) to rebuild that car for Rory?

I think he said he worked with his Dad on the car, so it sounds like a many-weekends project.  I agree, the parts would have cost $$$.   I'm with Richard -- I would not let a 17-year-old driver loose in a rebuilt car without air bags.

I got so bothered the last time I started the series again (swore I was out after suffering through S7 again, of course) because of the stupid car accident fiasco. Why, oh why, was Rory not insured to the hilt after all of the time given to Richard raking the car over the coals and being an insurance guy? I realize he didn't appear to offer auto policies, but am I really supposed to believe that he didn't get a friend or someone to offer her excellent coverage?! It was monumentally ridiculous that swerving to miss a raccoon ended in her car being totaled and then Rory having no car, as though she wouldn't have had her handmade car re-built or her (presumably) kick-ass insurance wouldn't have easily covered the damage or, alternately, paid out an amount to replace her car! As discussed so many times in this thread, Emily and Richard were always offering up connections to see that Rory had great references, a great school, a "great" lawyer, etc. No sense I say, no sense at all!! Oh, and another "whaaa?" to the grad episode where Richard requires that Rory insure her new car once she's gotten home, as though he wouldn't have worked out some temporary coverage or had Lorelai add the car to her insurance (since I have to guess Rory cancelled her shitty insurance after it failed to keep her able to drive), since she had okayed the whole car plan ahead of time. 

And he indicated in that horrible Valentine episode that he had never eaten lobster.  It's not like it came from an exotic land. They were living near the east coast.  Continuity definitely not their strong suit.

There is only gold to mine in the realm of what was done to Luke's character, but the lobster comment was so lazy. I don't recall the quote, but I'm sure that it's at the beginning of season 5 when Luke has gone to Maine to work Liz and TJ's stand, and he makes some comment to L's answering machine or while on the phone with her, about how one benefit of the trip is eating Lobster rolls. I remembered it because we used to go to Maine almost every summer and I was the weirdo who didn't like seafood while everyone else immediately started eating lobster everything as soon as we neared the coast. It's even less believable that Luke, who's lived in Connecticut his entire life and has some sort of love affair with fishing and has/can captain a boat, somehow has avoided shellfish. Luke was never unsophisticated really, and trying to use lobster to tell us that he was blue collar was lazy and super inaccurate since it's the year-round folks in New England who tend to eat a ton of fresh seafood.

(*I'm also in on this episode being stricken from the record for what it's worth.)

Wow, this feels really good. I no longer have to have to carry my GG annoyances silently: yay!

Edited by meisje
  • Love 6

Welcome, Meisje, and amen, sister friend on the Backwoods Luke episode. A travesty, and it wasn't even funny, just weird and uncomfortable. Problem is, it's the only place that either one of them said "I love you" without it being part of an argument. Kinda hard for the javajunkies to get along without that moment.

There are several episodes i'm thinking about cutting out the horrifying parts, starting with the Jess spinoff bits. Also I have to cut out Kirk's scream in Raincoats, probably OK with the image, the audio is just too loud.

• Love 3
Lorelai had a clear choice to make, Jason or her family.

Except she was always trying to find excuses as to why she didn't want to be around her family.   She gave a scathing interview about her mother.  She pitched a fit at Richard when he did the end run around her to get Rory the interview at Yale.  She was always trying to find ways out of the FND.  The sudden show of familial loyalty just didn't seem to make sense to me.

Maybe Jason wasn't The One but I still felt like there was some rather abrupt braking action when, in one sentence, that whole relationship round to a sudden halt.

• Love 2

Maybe Jason wasn't The One but I still felt like there was some rather abrupt braking action when, in one sentence, that whole relationship round to a sudden halt.

Because they needed a quick way for her to start up a relationship with Luke.

• Love 2
She pitched a fit at Richard when he did the end run around her to get Rory the interview at Yale.

At least in that case, I don't think that was about her desire to not be around family.   Rather, he legitimately pissed everyone off (even Emily) with his lying and conniving. 

I chalked it up to Lorelai realizing that Jason wasn't so special that she'd be willing to give up on her parents entirely.  It wasn't because she loved them dearly, so much as being with Jason wasn't worth the hassle. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

Eh, I think it made perfect sense.  I think as soon as Lorelai heard "It's just business" come out of Jason's mouth, she realized that she might as well be dating her father.  It served as a very effective reminder of why she ran away from that lifestyle 18 years earlier.

• Love 5

Kohola3, Lorelai may have frequently looked for ways to avoid spending time with her family, but I think she did care for them. And perhaps felt guilty for her part in their difficult relationship. Look how she tore into Jason when he and Richard scheduled that Atlantic City jaunt rather than a traditional launch party for their new venture. Or bought Emily a DVD player and specially selected DVDs for no particular occasion - beyond having it brought to mind  the difficult time around Rory's birth and early days. She also did what she could to offer support to both of them during their separation. There were other examples throughout the series when she showed genuine concern for Emily and Richard.

I agree with Taryn that she saw a good bit of her father in the younger Mr. Stiles.  

Frankly, I would have been a lot more sympathetic to Jason and his feelings towards Lorelai if we had learned he was seeking therapy for his sleep issues. Much as I coveted that guest room - and still do for that matter - he did seem to want their  relationship to be strictly on his terms only.

• Love 2
She also did what she could to offer support to both of them during their separation.

Somewhat.  She also managed to humiliate and embarrass them by arranging for them to spend their time isolated together during the test run at the Dragonfly.  I still have yet to figure out what Lorelai could have been thinking, or why she thought arranging things the way she did was going to be a good idea. 

• Love 1

Perhaps she shouldn't have invited them at all but that might have led to further hurt feelings and alienation between Lorelai and her parents. Romantic soul that she was and genuinely wanting to fix things, she could also have thought that if they were in a position to talk to one another without interruption, they could iron out their differences.

I am not sure what exactly Richard and Emily  expected at the Dragonfly that night. Did they think Lorelai would assign them to separate rooms? They were busily pretending that no one knew they were apart. Even if they suspected Lorelai knew the truth,  was it likely she would have shared that information with Rory?

Instead the pair  were given a luxury suite where they could reconcile, sulk independently or scream at one another without the likelihood or embarrassment of being overheard. Alternately either one  could have taken part in the Yahtzee tournament  after enjoying a lovely, Sookie-prepared meal.

And really, if it was too difficult for them to spend a night together, why not only have one of them attend? Richard could have pleaded the pressure of business to skip the dry run. No one would have found that particular ruse odd.

• Love 5

Alternately either one  could have taken part in the Yahtzee tournament  after enjoying a lovely, Sookie-prepared meal.

Argh, this stirred my frustration over the recently re-run The Reigning Lorelai where Emily calls Lorelai while she's having her meeting with Sookie and Michel (apart from the hug issues already already noted). Now, I understand that Sookie is the chef of chefs and I'm absolutely fine with that, but it grinds my gears when they have her function essentially as a microwave or Lorelai's personal chef at any given time. In TRL, Emily says Richard is beside himself, is drinking scotch, won't eat and just keeps talking about turtleneck soup. Lorelai turns to Sookie and asks what this turtle soup could be and Sookie says perhaps it's mock turtle soup and she thinks she has a recipe for it somewhere. Cut to Lorelai saying "So, Mom, Sookie's tracking down the soup. What else can I do?" Now, this is nitpick-y, but what has Lorelai done other than give her busy friend with an infant a job to do for the day?

It was the same sort of annoyance I felt when Richard and Emily decide to visit Lorelai's house and she immediately calls Sookie to bring trays of food and appetizers, as though that food took no time to prepare or haul over to L's house (how did Sookie drive all of the food around prior to the minivan?). Why didn't she stop by Weston's for some tea-time goodies and things Emily would have been happy with? She's shown she's familiar with any-and-all to-go food spots from SH to Hartford, and even made a meal at the grocery store with Jason after getting a chuckle at the idea that Jason didn't realize the store was full of prepared food. This brings me back to how annoying the scene is where Lorelai shuts down the date in the new restaurant because she can't stand the private room... and I'm at argh again!

• Love 3

Somewhat. She also managed to humiliate and embarrass them by arranging for them to spend their time isolated together during the test run at the Dragonfly. I still have yet to figure out what Lorelai could have been thinking, or why she thought arranging things the way she did was going to be a good idea.

They were either going to have to be together for hours and perhaps sort out their issues or they would have to come clean about their separation. Lorelai did spend the previous episode trying to get Emily to admit that there was something going on between her and Richard.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 3

meisje, given how proprietary Sookie is about all things food related, she likely would have been miffed if Lorelai had not asked her about turtleneck soup.

Personally, I thought it was only fair that she would do Lorelai a favour of that sort - given how  she had dumped most of the work to get the Dragonfly up and running on Lorelai. In any event, It would take perhaps an hour or two at most to find the recipe and prepare the soup. It is a very simple dish. It was not as if Sookie was working outside the home and had to manage that plus childcare.

As to the other occasions, it was my understanding that Sookie kept a freezer full of dishes for town functions, emergencies and such like. Again, I think Sookie would be hurt if she wasn't the go-to person. I didn't get sense that she would be out-of-pocket for the food.

(Do agree completed about Lorelai's behaviour in that swanky restaurant. Sheesh.)

• Love 3
They were either going to have to be together for hours and perhaps sort out their issues or they would have to come clean about their separation. Lorelai did spend the previous episode trying to get Emily to admit that there was something going on between her and Richard.

I think you've made my point.  It isn't Lorelai's place to try and resolve their differences (of which she seemed to have very little understanding), nor is it her place to get her parents to admit to anything about the status of their relationship.  She knew what was going on with them, and she went ahead with her little farce anyways.      

I am not sure what exactly Richard and Emily  expected at the Dragonfly that night.

I think they made it pretty clear what they expected, given they seemed very surprised when they were assigned an isolated room, and Emily later is upset because Lorelai arranged for Emily and Richard to have dinner alone as well.  Emily even said as much when she told Lorelai she was being cruel in putting her parents into that situation when she knew what was going on with them.  

• Love 1

Lorelai and Sookie are best friends. It's ok if they impose on each other according to their strengths. Sookie would have been insulted if she hadn't been asked for help, as dusty said.

Also Lorelai is self-involved enough to ask a knowledgeable friend for something, yet loves them enough that if the friend had said no, she would have figured out something else.

For me, the issue about the private room in the Japanese restaurant was all about showing us what Lorelai's relationship with jason was: he was interested romantically, she was having fun.

• Love 2

I agree that Sookie would have been insulted had Lorelai looked for other cooking resources! Remember how upset Jackson was with Rory when she did not turn to Sookie  (and Jackson for the veggies) for help when making the world's largest pizza (sort of)?

• Love 3

Perhaps she shouldn't have invited them at all but that might have led to further hurt feelings and alienation between Lorelai and her parents.

That makes me think of all of the flack Emily gave her for not announcing the start of the catering company, and the pursuant comments about how the mail doesn't get lost in this day and age, and the somewhat-lengthy story about the similarly-named company that had been shut down. In line with that, it made sense for Lorelai to invite them, though Richard and Emily had been speaking and acting strangely for weeks and missing questions and details. So, if there were ever a time for Lorelai to get away with not mentioning something, that was it. It seemed pretty clear that she wanted to bring a little misery into their lives given that Rory immediately called her out on being "evil" and there were all of the references to The Bad Seed in the next ep. It was also clear that she was freaked out when she figured out that her mother was not living at home, and she was genuinely shaken up, and that she wanted to hold their feet to the flames hoping/assuming they would come together if for no other reason than to be pissed at her. The Inn/kiss episode is one of my favorite of the the later years since it's action packed and hilarious.

Okay, I've been swayed to see Lorelai as a bit less selfish after all of the great comments! Sookie did always stake out her claim on chef-ing (and I will forever love the Chilton scene where Chris says something about Sookie being the second-best chef in the world or something and Sookie can't let it go!) , but I felt even she backed down during the latter months of pregnancy and definitely after having the baby. If not for being a new mom, I can't imagine she would have missed the sink approval -- though why (realistically) someone in the entire crew present at the Inn wasn't given the go ahead to approve it was purely ridiculous. The worst-case scenario there was that something would have been wrong and the sink returned, but at least not sent back to Canada for no reason at all! It makes even less sense that Lorelai would been more adept at sink approval as opposed to Tom, who would have at least known the overall measurements of the sink area and the pipes and everything. 

Wasn't Tom the Habitat for Humanity coordinator in Hartford too? 

Interesting thought about Jason being romantically inclined and Lorelai just having fun... I've never really thought of it like that

• Love 3

It was Sookie herself who insisted that only she could approve the delivery of the sink

SOOKIE: And you told them they can't install it until I see it, right? Because I have very specific sink needs.

TOM: They won't even leave it without your approval

She  then tried to offload the responsibility on the work crew and even Michel, rather than accept responsibility for her screwup. This is a hoary old nitpick but other  than simply providing viewers with further evidence of Sookie's unreliability as a business partner,  it was never clear why would Sookie being a new mother would prevent her from moseying on over to the Dragonfly construction site and overseeing the delivery of the sink? Little Davey wasn't ill - there was no medical emergency. He just had a sleepless night. Babies are thoughtless and self-centred like that. Wouldn't  she have made arrangements for a babysitter given that the day before she was planning on being at the site?

Yes, Contractor Tom was the Habitat for Humanity Coordinator.

Edited by dustylil
  • Love 2
it was never clear why would Sookie being a new mother would prevent her from moseying on over to the Dragonfly construction site and overseeing the delivery of the sink?

If I remember right, she said she had accidentally fallen asleep because of her sleepless night with the baby.  It wasn't as though she said she made a purposeful decision to miss the meeting without giving notice because she was a new parent.     

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 3

If I remember right, she said she had accidentally fallen asleep because of her sleepless night with the baby.  It wasn't as though she said she made a purposeful decision to miss the meeting without giving notice because she was a new parent.     

Exactly.  I've always taken Sookie's side rather than Lorelai's in that argument.  Pretty sure that lands me squarely in UO territory though, heh.

• Love 1

Just watched Bracebridge, when it occurred to me that Lorelai threw a party for her friends when she could possibly have sold a few tickets for paying customers, even if they had only a couple of days' notice. 

Presumably Mia gave her permission. 

• Love 1

If Sookie had been truly apologetic for missing the sink delivery and offered to re-schedule it herself, I wouldn't have had any problem with her. Mistakes happen and the sink was for her own realm at the Inn, after all.

The issue I have is that she expected to be excused from her business obligations simply because she had a baby (a fact she felt the need to repeat in her conversation with Lorelai) and thought others should pick up the slack. And apparently pick up the slack without notice or discussion with her business partner and others involved in the start-up of the Dragonfly because her own  life circumstances had changed.

To be clear, I am not faulting her for wanting/needing to spend much of her time at home with her young baby. But she should have made it clear to Lorelai that her priorities and circumstances had changed and she would not be able to contribute to the development stage of the Inn as much as had been originally expected. But there were solutions to this. Perhaps they could have brought another chef on board temporarily to provide specific kitchen and food prep expertise  for  this stage of the project. 

My opinion on this topic may well be influenced by the generation I am from. I grew up at a time where women were not encouraged to have big ambitions for themselves because they would be  derailed by having children. That  Sookie in the twenty-first century would blithely use this reasoning to absolve herself of her responsibilities inspires in me a rant worthy of Luke Danes!

• Love 2

I agree.  What bothered me wasn't that Sookie missed the sink because Davey kept her up all night but that she'd made such a big deal about how she, and only she, was qualified to be there when the sink arrived and then acted like it was no big deal when she missed it.  If it had been a situation where Lorelai, Michel and Tom were inexplicably unavailable all at the same time and everyone agreed that having someone in charge to sign for it was important and then Sookie missed it because Davey kept her up all night, that I would feel sympathy for.  It would have been a perfect storm of circumstances.  But Sookie made a big deal about the sink, didn't make any arrangements to guarantee that she would be there to sign for it (I'd pay Mrs. Kim twenty bucks to wake me up personally, but a one day babysitter would be enough), and then, after having made such a big deal about the sink, acted like Lorelai being upset at the financial loss from missing the delivery was overblown and irrational.  What Sookie should have done is taken some maternity leave during that time as she would have were the inn up and running.  For sink deliveries and the like, she and Lorelai could have coordinated to make sure the proper equipment was being ordered and then make sure that the person signing for it was aware of what was coming so that the correct items arrived.  That way Sookie wouldn't have any responsibilities other than caring for Davey and herself.

• Love 3
I never understood why Louise and Madeleine were friends with Paris.

I always found that odd myself.  The blonde one (I can't tell them apart) was always going on about boys and fashion and yet Paris gave Francine a hard time about the hemline debate.  They both seemed like the kind of girls that Paris made fun of or criticized.  Neither seemed particularly bright, either.

• Love 1

I figured Louise and Madeline had known Paris since their early elementary school days at Chilton. They may have been friends and played together when they were all six years old and continued to be on friendly terms because there was simply no reason not to be. They seemed like easy going girls and at least had each other if Paris got too unbearable.

In terms of Chilton students, I was more surprised that Paris didn't appear to have any intellectual equals in her grade until Rory came along. Unless of course she had them eliminated. I guess I had expected more than two brainiacs per class in an elite prep school.

• Love 4

Unless of course she had them eliminated.

HA!  I'm going with this theory.

I never understood why Louise and Madeleine were friends with Paris.

I started fanwanking a long time ago that Headmaster Charleston had a chat with Paris the way he did Rory in LMLD, and Paris walked out of his office and said "You and you, you're going to be my friends" to the first girls she saw.  Happened to be Louise and Madeline.  ;)

• Love 1
What Sookie should have done is taken some maternity leave during that time as she would have were the inn up and running.

I think what Lorelai and Sookie should have done is really sit down and spell out what their roles were with regards to the Dragonfly during that whole pre-opening/construction period.  I mean, Sookie was right in that her main role in the business would start after the Dragonfly opened.  She didn't have Lorelai's business background, and obviously had not had experience in running and maintaining an inn.  This isn't to say that Sookie shouldn't have had responsibilities, only that their roles before the Dragonfly actually opened didn't seem very well defined.     

• Love 3