Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

I meant more of a waste in terms of the donation seeming random and disconnected to anything involving its namesake.  For example, if they donated a new building for the English department, I could see how that would relate to Rory.  As it was, the Lorelai Gilmore Planetarium was a little strange.

Aah, I understand and agree with you completely. Wildly guessing, I imagine that Yale told the Gilmores about the need for a planetarium and they jumped. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Christopher with his deus ex machina inheritance (can I give you a castle?) dumped a pile of money in as well. 

Hi all--I'm relatively new to GG, now barreling through the series on Netflix.

I know this is a tiny, tiny nitpick, but it drives me crazy. When Rory graduated from Chilton, Richard gave her a car. They made the point of saying "It's a Prius."

Then we see Rory driving a distinctly non-Prius car, at least as far as I've gotten (season 5). The showrunners know that they show the characters in their cars a lot, why would they have committed to a visually distinctive car like that if they weren't 100% sure they were going to use that same car the next season? It would have been easy enough to say "it's a hybrid." If they got product-placement $$ for just saying the name in that one episode, it was foolish for them to sell out for a throwaway line if the weren't going to use the Prius afterwards. You know how those pesky fans überanalyze every nuance of the show ;)

I own a 2004 Prius (that color, in fact). That isn't one. They have more of a streamlined silhouette. That looks like maybe a Corolla, particularly in the rear quarter. Too square for a Prius.

I believe Rory would have a 2003 Prius.  She got one for her high school graduation, and she was class of 2003. 

A season 6 nitpick: The reaction to 300 hours of community service in under 6 months! It was not what Rory expected, but she says it is impossible to the judge, and later says to the grandparents that it is like a full-time job unto itself! 300 hours over half a year is about 11 or 12 hours a week! Not impossible by any means.

• Love 4

Given that Rory  was able to attend and do well at Chilton, partake in extra-curricular activities and work part-time at the Independence Inn when she was all of sixteen, the community service requirement should have been a snap. For that matter, it could have been done even if she had had an actual full-time job at the time.

Of course, she was still in major sulk and self-pity mode during this period. And unlikely to be  able to think clearly and practically.

Edited by dustylil
  • Love 2
Given that Rory  was able to attend and do well at Chilton, partake in extra-curricular activities and work part-time at the Independence Inn when she was all of sixteen, the community service requirement should have been a snap.

I may be wrong, but Rory's "part-time job" seemed to consist of her working odd jobs around the Inn on occasions her mother night need extra help.  It wasn't like she was working a regular part-time shift during the week, or at least we never saw anything like that.  As for extra curriculurs, aside from the newspaper, and later, student council, what regular extra curriculur activities was Rory doing?         

• Love 1

I may be wrong, but Rory's "part-time job" seemed to consist of her working odd jobs around the Inn on occasions her mother night need extra help.  It wasn't like she was working a regular part-time shift during the week, or at least we never saw anything like that.  As for extra curriculurs, aside from the newspaper, and later, student council, what regular extra curriculur activities was Rory doing?         

I would think that working on the school newspaper and being on student council would be a fairly large time commitment (particularly when Paris is the editor of the paper and student body president!). And, let's not forget all of the activities around Stars Hollow!

• Love 1
I would think that working on the school newspaper and being on student council would be a fairly large time commitment (particularly when Paris is the editor of the paper and student body president!). And, let's not forget all of the activities around Stars Hollow!

She only had student council one year.  I agree about all the Stars Hollows activities, but those are mostly one off events, and it seemed whatever "part-time job" she may have had at the Inn was largely forgotten by the second season (or at least I do not recall many scenes of Rory working at the Inn in what would be any regular kind of job).  I'm not saying Rory didn't have activities, just that I don't think that all her time was consumed by them.    

Perhaps it was her "But I'm a Gilmore" mindset where the wealthy simply don't have time for doing the same thing as the Simple Folk.  And it would certainly cut into her Life and Death Brigade shenanigans. I'm sure she spent 12 hours a week making fun of the non-wealthy.

Do we know if Smirky McSmirk got off scot-free?  It would seem that was the usual history according to Odious Finn and his sidekick.  

• Love 1
Well, whether Rory had extensive time commitments while in school or not, I still don't think 11 or 12 hours a week of community service is "impossible"!

I will say it can honestly depend on the circumstances.  My understanding of the process is that you have to do certain approved activities, and they are not necessarily available every day, 8 hours a day. 

Do we know if Smirky McSmirk got off scot-free?  It would seem that was the usual history according to Odious Finn and his sidekick.

If Logan got punished, I don't think we ever heard about it. 

Here's another nitpick in regard to Rory's punishment.  She's sentenced to community service, but we see her picking up trash on the roadside, which falls under "road crew" punishment (at least in Indiana).  She would be doing things like soup kitchen, homeless shelter, etc kind of things, not the road crew. 

I'm surprised if Logan didn't get punished, because he and Rory would have had their cases in front of the same judge, who was not.having.it in her courtroom.  But the Huntzbergers probably have a non-profit foundation that would forge community service paperwork for him.  But 300 hours is a HARSH punishment, especially for someone that had never gotten into trouble.  I only got 80 hours of road crew for a public intoxication arrest to be completed in 6 months (hey, I was 22 and dumb enough to take a plea agreement instead of lawyering up because I was a Rory back in the day). 

• Love 1
But 300 hours is a HARSH punishment, especially for someone that had never gotten into trouble.

Personally I thought it was quite lenient.  She committed a felony, not a misdemeanor.  I don't think stealing a (presumably at least) million dollar vehicle is a bit different that stealing a bike.  Even as a first time offender, that's a pretty significant crime.

• Love 1

She only had student council one year.  I agree about all the Stars Hollows activities, but those are mostly one off events, and it seemed whatever "part-time job" she may have had at the Inn was largely forgotten by the second season (or at least I do not recall many scenes of Rory working at the Inn in what would be any regular kind of job).  I'm not saying Rory didn't have activities, just that I don't think that all her time was consumed by them.    

I'm actually surprised that Rory basically got into all of the schools she applied to. Harvard, Yale, Princeton? She had newspaper, was on Student Council VP for one year, and did that one house building thing for Habitat for Humanity (?). Aside from that, she didn't do much outside of academic work. Everyone applying to these schools basically have the same academic record, Rory didn't really seem to stand out at all to be Ivy-bait.

The valedictorian from my high school was All-State Band; All-state or whatever the sports equivalent was for both swimming and tennis; did cancer research at a major cancer center near us; 15--/1600 on his SATs (because I'm old); 5s on all the AP exams our school offered; president or officer of a whole bunch of academic clubs; went to State competitions with some of those academic clubs; a slew of recommendation letters  and was still rejected and waitlisted from all but one Ivy he applied to (our school is a feeder school to that Ivy). That sort of extracurricular list was par for the course for the top students from our area and everyone had their "rejected" from pile on top of their "omg Harvard or whatever school accepted them" pile. Thinking back on this now makes rewatching this kind of unrealisitc.

Also, since I'm near the beginning of S4, what is Rory's deal with Lorelei cutting coupons? She seemed shocked that Lorelei ever cut coupons and horrified that Lorelei is cutting coupons now (Living Arts Festival). The show always made it out to seem like they were struggling earlier on - did Rory in her infinite genius never realize that coupons save money? Who the heck doesn't like saving money?

• Love 9
Also, since I'm near the beginning of S4, what is Rory's deal with Lorelei cutting coupons? She seemed shocked that Lorelei ever cut coupons and horrified that Lorelei is cutting coupons now (Living Arts Festival). The show always made it out to seem like they were struggling earlier on - did Rory in her infinite genius never realize that coupons save money? Who the heck doesn't like saving money?

For all the trouble the show went to, to show us that Rory and Lorelai had a poor beginning (they lived in a shed!), their spending habits seemed mostly insane.  I mean, I can't imagine Lorelai was pulling in a huge salary managing the Inn, so I would think the fact she and her daughter ate out everyday, would have taken a big chunk out of her paycheck. 

• Love 1
I mean, I can't imagine Lorelai was pulling in a huge salary managing the Inn, so I would think the fact she and her daughter ate out everyday, would have taken a big chunk out of her paycheck.

I always found that mind boggling as well. Although did we ever see money exchange hands at Luke's?  Maybe only Al's Pancake World got paid.

• Love 2

Although did we ever see money exchange hands at Luke's?  Maybe only Al's Pancake World got paid.

They definitely paid Luke. They even left him tips. From We Got Us a Pippi Virgin:

Lorelai Gilmore: In fact, he actually owes us a lot of money because we weren't supposed to be tipping him all these years.

Rory Gilmore: I know. Customarily, you do not have to tip the proprietor of an establishment.

Lorelai Gilmore: Why have we been tipping him all these years?

Rory Gilmore: We like him?

Lorelai Gilmore: Oh, that.

• Love 1

They sometimes paid Luke.  

The audience doesn't see it that often.

How I fansplain it is that Luke had some sort of like "friends and family" discount where he basically charged them his food costs for their meals. If so, they were basically just buying groceries someone else cooked.

I don't know about that coupons quip. I have dabbled in couponing but didn't find it that helpful. Most newspaper coupons are something like 50 cents off glade plug ins or whatever.

They sometimes paid Luke.  

The audience doesn't see it that often.

How I fansplain it is that Luke had some sort of like "friends and family" discount where he basically charged them his food costs for their meals. If so, they were basically just buying groceries someone else cooked.

I don't know about that coupons quip. I have dabbled in couponing but didn't find it that helpful. Most newspaper coupons are something like 50 cents off glade plug ins or whatever.

I could see Luke doing that, that makes a pretty good explanation.  I tend to think he just kept a tally of what his regulars owed him and they paid him once a month or whenever they thought about it LOL.

Your coupon comment made me LOL.  I used to "super coupon" but then my favorite store stopped doubling coupons so now I use a few here and there but that's it.

• Love 1

I think my issue with the couponing was that the entire first part of the season was basically showing that Lorelei was trying to save and scrimp (even though she still eats out all the time) by turning the thermostat down and cutting coupons. She clearly wanted to buy items with coupons to save some money and an off brand at that.

RORY: Well, on the outside. Is this what you're using, Dream Fresh laundry powder?

LORELAI: It's a new brand.

RORY: It's an off-brand.

LORELAI: It leaves your clothes with that Dream-Fresh scent.

RORY: You used a coupon, didn't you?

LORELAI: Thirty-five cents off or not, I still would have chosen Dream Fresh.

I don't think Lorelei was extreme couponing per se, but at the time the new inn was sucking her dry of money and she wasn't getting that many catering jobs. It's weird that Rory was so against her using coupons. And surprised that her mom was using coupons before (probably for things like diapers). I mean, our Swiffer broke and I refused to buy a new one until I was able to find a coupon for $2 off.  It just makes financial sense.

LORELAI: Hey, would you be horrified if I started clipping coupons again?

RORY: Yes.

LORELAI: Oh, well, then, I won't.

RORY: Wait, did you say again?

LORELAI: I meant ever.

RORY: When did you clip coupons before?

LORELAI: I didn't. I misspoke. Whoops.

[Lane walks back outside. Rory grabs another page of coupons from the table.]

LORELAI: I'm not clipping coupons!

RORY: Then I don't see the problem.

[Lorelai finds another page of coupons on the table]

LORELAI: Ha.

Edited by maculae

As to paying for food at Luke's, I had assumed Lorelai and Rory simply ran a tab at the diner and paid it off monthly or bi-monthly. Perhaps similar to the one Lorelai set up for Richard at the local eatery when he was first setting up shop in Season 2's Help Wanted.

There had to be some reason why we so often saw Luke studying/fiddling with/tallying  bits of paper that looked - to me anyway - like diner bills (I think they are also called tickets?).

• Love 1

Yeah, the Dragonfly had, what, 10 rooms?  And they said they were running at 80% occupancy, which if you do the math, that's $584,000 per year.  They had supplemental revenue streams from the stables and from the restaurant, but there were always at least 4-5 people running around the kitchen (with a not very large dining room), and they would need 1 maid to clean the rooms (or more, depending) and public areas, plus front desk staff, including Michel.  After you take out their overhead for their business loan, insurance, and admin costs, there is barely enough money left to pay Lorelai a paltry salary, much less a partner share.  Perhaps the Independence Inn was larger and could pay her more, but I doubt it.  Hotels with about 100 guest rooms have general manager's salaries around $70k, especially in rural markets.  Unless Lorelai bought her house for pennies and had a small mortgage.  

When Lorelai did that interview for the magazine, why wasn't Sookie a part of it?  

When Lorelai did that interview for the magazine, why wasn't Sookie a part of it?

Indeed.  Though I'm trying to imagine why a travel magazine would dedicate its space to an article that appeared to consist mostly of Lorelai trashing her mother.  Even if it made for colorful copy, the Gilmores aren't celebrities, so "Inn Owner Hates Her Mother" isn't going to be all that fascinating to strangers.  

• Love 5

I never figured out why the magazine would throw that party either. A hotel or tourism organization hosting one, maybe.

As to Sookie's non-attendance - wasn't she still on bed rest, awaiting the imminent arrival of Martha?

I think Sookie took herself out of the primary decision-making pretty early in the process. Remember the argument when Lorelai complained that Sookie wasn't there to approve a sink or something?

Wasn't the Dragonfly chosen as one of the ten best Inns or something? That could be a reason for a party, and yes, it would be sponsored by the tourism industry. Don't forget that Lorelai was wooed by a large company who wanted her inn and to give her a job. There was clear recognition for the work she'd done. Sookie stayed in the kitchen and got awards for that too. 

A season six nitpick: As Paris inflicts her reign of terror on the staff of the Yale Daily News, where is Doyle? He's still a member of the writing staff, and other than Rory, is probably the only person capable of sharing criticism with Paris.

• Love 2

But he could have at least been there the night the paper wasn't going to make it to print. You would think that he would have really cared about that. He could have helped Rory and Logan get it out.

A season six nitpick: As Paris inflicts her reign of terror on the staff of the Yale Daily News, where is Doyle? He's still a member of the writing staff, and other than Rory, is probably the only person capable of sharing criticism with Paris.

I may be mistaken but I thought he graduated (or was in gradschool) which is why he was no longer editor.

I may be mistaken but I thought he graduated (or was in gradschool) which is why he was no longer editor.

Nope. He was a senior! When Paris and Doyle announce that Paris will be taking over the editor's position at Rory's birthday party, he says he is returning to writing with a column called "The World According to Doyle" (or something along those lines) and when Paris gives out assignments, Doyle is there to be a columnist! Doyle is also there after Rory is working as editor.

When Rory has applied for the ProJo job, but is trying to decide if she'd rather have the Reston Fellowship, she treats it as either/or.

The fellowship was 6 weeks long. Most companies would consider a start date 6 weeks later, so I would have accepted, and worst case quit to take the fellowship. A blindingly simple solution. You'd think a Yale graduate or her boyfriend would figure that out. 

With respect, junienmomo some companies might be willing to delay a start date by six weeks, But I wouldn't say it would be a given. Organizations have their own requirements and schedules which need to be met. Back when I was hiring new graduates for professional entry level and internship positions, we might be willing to allow a delay of a week or two for a very good reason (wedding, health issue), but that was about it. The real world is a cold place and our needs trumped those of the applicants. Even if it was  a Rory Gilmore!

• Love 1
The fellowship was 6 weeks long. Most companies would consider a start date 6 weeks later, so I would have accepted, and worst case quit to take the fellowship. A blindingly simple solution. You'd think a Yale graduate or her boyfriend would figure that out.

In fairness, then that episode would have ended 15 minutes early because all the drama would have been resolved pretty quickly!  However, IIRC, the editor from the ProJo seemed to need someone to start immediately, so she may not have really been open to Rory taking a six week long fellowship. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure if this is a nitpick or if it's me just not getting it, but in season 1 - Double Date - what was the big deal about Rory 'lying to her mother'? I've seen this episode so many times and I've never been able to figure it out lol.

Yes, Rory left out that she, Lane & Dean were going to meet that other boy so that they could all double date. But technically Rory didn't lie about what she herself was doing. Lorelai knew she was at the movies, and Lorelai also knew that both Dean & Lane were with her.

Sure, she didn't know that other guy was there, but with regards to Rory his prescence was totally irrelevant. I just never got why Lorelai was so miffed (although it's one of times where Lorelai really acts like the Mom so I do like that aspect). And as much as I love the line "I need to know where you are at all times, especially when you have my shoes on", Lorelai did know where Rory was and who she was with. Huh?

Edited by Gooey
  • Love 2

Well, the last line doesn't make sense, true, LOL (although it is funny) but if my 15 yo daughter had left out the info that her friend's mom did not know where they were going to be (because the mom would not have given permission), I would have considered that lying too.

On a related note, my daughter does have a friend who sometimes tries to get around her parents' rules about meeting up with a boy by having us take her and my daughter somewhere together.  I've learned to point-blank ask my daughter if her friend's parents know where she is going to be and who else is going to be there.  I've also told her not to play me because I WILL get all Mrs. Kim on her ass.  (She's a GG fan so she knows what that means LOLOL.)

• Love 3

Yes Taryn maybe it's just that last line. Thanks!

I totally understand the bit with regards to Lane/Mrs Kim and Lorelai wanting to do right by them both. And Lane's safety is important to Lorelai too of course.

Edited by Gooey
  • Love 1

When Rory has applied for the ProJo job, but is trying to decide if she'd rather have the Reston Fellowship, she treats it as either/or.

I was thinking the same thing.  Take the job at the ProJo, then quit if you find something better.  Although I do say that at the ripe age of 36, I probably would never have dared or dreamed to walk away from a job after only a few weeks when I was 22.  I would totally do that now, though.

What was Paris' major at Yale?  For her to get into med school and law school, she would have to have some advanced calculus and math classes, but if she was a liberal arts major, she probably wouldn't have had that much math.  I realize it's also MCAT and LSAT scores, but again-math portion.  

For her to get into med school and law school, she would have to have some advanced calculus and math classes, but if she was a liberal arts major, she probably wouldn't have had that much math.  I realize it's also MCAT and LSAT scores, but again-math portion.

We never really saw any of Paris' classes, only her time in the dorm or the Yale Daily News. They did say that Paris was pre-med in the show (the episode where Doyle is sick and Paris says sick people freak her out, both Doyle and Rory say that she's pre-med), so I'd assume she was taking all the classes needed.

Med school only requires calculus, I'd assume that law school is the same. It looked like they were taking Calc in Chilton already and I'd assume that was AP Calc knowing Paris and Rory. I don't know about Yale, but getting a 5 on the AP Calc exam is going to place you out of most intro classes so she could have theoretically taken one semester of calc and been done with it. I mean, the main question would be the science portion. Med school requires 2 semester chemistry, physics, organic chemistry, biology and all the labs for each of those classes. Biochem isn't a requirement but it's helpful. It's doable for liberal arts majors and med schools love non-science majors who apply because of the amount of extra work they're doing outside their major to meet the requirements.

• Love 1

I didn't think pre-med as a major actually exists, though, at least not when I was in college (96-00).  People would say they were pre-med, but major in a science, like the ones you mention below.  Classes like chemistry and especially organic chemistry usually have prerequisites like advanced math/calculus.  I took AP calculus, then 3 calculus classes at college and I majored in business, not saving people's lives, lol.  But my original point was to the LSAT and MCAT testing, which, having taking the GMAT, a huge portion of the test is dedicated to problem solving, many of which require knowledge of advanced math.

It was just something I thought was another example of the writers not having any kind of clue about how college and grad school worked.  

But my original point was to the LSAT and MCAT testing, which, having taking the GMAT, a huge portion of the test is dedicated to problem solving, many of which require knowledge of advanced math.

MCAT doesn't have problem solving like that. It's a lot of secondary chemistry, biology questions; primary type organic chemistry, anatomy, statistics, and physics questions, and a verbal section. Most the biology focuses on physiology IIRC, and if you're lucky you'll have very few biochem questions (many people haven't taken biochem by the time they take the MCATS so people bank on having only a couple of biochem problems. If you're lucky there's 0, if you're unlucky maybe 5. Might have changed since I took it.). I know the MCAT is changing for 2017, but as it is right now, it's science heavy, no advance type math, just basic physiology/chemistry/physics/statistics (find the mean or standard deviation) calculations. Anyone could take the MCATs without taking any calculus as long as you've taken the core science classes.

You need calculus to apply to med school, but only one semester. The gen level science classes usually don't require more than basic calculus, which in a lot of cases is one semester. Actually, I don't even think that some gen level science classes (100 level) would require calc as a pre-req. Also if Yale takes the AP exam, Paris would have skipped Calc 1 and taken Calc 2 so that's already more than advanced for most science majors.  It's if you go to higher level science classes that it starts to matter. For instance, physics majors have to take the more advanced math classes (ie. differential equations) whereas biology majors don't.

Pre-med basically means you're on the track for taking all the pre-reqs to get into med school. But you're right, not a major. However, most people just call them selves premed and then say X-major. Since Paris was pre-med, she's fine. The unrealistic part was when Paris was going crazy and making charts at the end of S7 and telling Rory to apply for med school and take the MCATs or whatever she was on about. Was obviously too late for her.

Can't speak for the LSATs.

ETA: Paris was a double major in poly sci and biochem.

Edited by maculae
  • Love 1

Thanks folks for bringing back my GMAT nightmares!

Since we are discussing standardized tests and suchlike, I have a question. PSATs didn't exist when I was in high school, just the SAT.

Rory's scores in the PSAT were 740 verbal and 760 math. Now having only the ancient SAT as a point of reference, these seem like very good scores but not earth shattering. Am I misunderstanding them?