Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Painkiller

• Start Topic

Khalil Payne (Jordan Calloway) is a young man ridden with the guilt of his troubled past from his former life in Freeland City, where, as a super-enhanced killing machine known as Painkiller, he was both a member of Tobias Whale's gang and a weapon of Agent Odell and the shadowy ASA. After attempting to bury the darker, devastatingly lethal Painkiller part of his persona, Khalil has distanced himself away from everyone he knows and loves in a new city, Akashic Valley, in order to find peace... but peace never comes easy for men with pasts like Khalil Payne and Painkiller.

As his violent, destructive history crashes his idyllic new beginning, Khalil is thrusted back into action with a new mission - bring justice where he once gave out punishment - but to do that, he will first have to deal with and harness his darker side, Painkiller.

Written and directed by Salim Akil.

Airdate: 4/12/2021

BLK407b_0073r.jpg

Well...it looked pretty. It was very futuristic. But I cant go through a show watching Khalil talk to himself in his head space and I just dont find him interesting enough to support his own series.

They put Anissa/Grace in this episode just to sideline them. You do not sideline Anissa.  

• Love 1

The location was weird for me. Wakanda city was that?

Jordan Galloway looks good enough to carry an Arrowverse show, but Painkiller is a mess. Some people have been griping about Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost for years, and split personalities are so cliche. There is a bit of intrigue that "Painkiller" was mostly created by Odell, a man who never saw a life that he couldn't twist for his own ends. And if Jefferson Pierce's story ends once Black Lightning wraps up, there would be an opening for a protagonist whose main power is withstanding nut shots to the soul. Khalil fits: promising high school football player, paralyzed, manipulated by Tobias, given an implant to walk again, had implant ripped out by Tobias when he tried to escape his clutches, died, revived by Odell's shadowy agency, develops metahuman powers that poison anyone he touches, and with the bonus of an aggressive split personality. Oh, and he/they killed his/their mother while brainwashed. Jefferson should call him a son even if he doesn't marry into the family.

Am I bad for wondering if Khalil looked for zen in the same places as Wally West? At least Khalil is less irritating about it.

The boss lady is Odell's daughter? Nice. Hard to imagine any woman in her right mind reproducing with his sorry-looking self.

Personally, I'm thinking maybe "Outsiders" has a better ring to it, with Khalil/Painkiller front and center. A lot of the names have been used on Black Lightning (Thunder, Looker, Technocrat/"T.C."), so it wouldn't be too big a stretch.

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I really liked the look of Akashic Valley. Very futuristic.

Khalil is pretty standard for a protagonist thus far, but I think we could see some interesting storylines from him.

Boy, it takes a special brand of evil to hijack people's brain to mine Bitcoin. It must run in the Odell family.

• Love 3

Black Lightning finally returns with an episode that is basically a backdoor pilot for the Painkiller spin-off, I see.

Still have mix feelings about this.  On one hand, I like Jordan Calloway ever since I first saw him as Chuck on Riverdale, and I do think he has the charisma and talent to headline a show.  And I do find Khalil character to be a compelling one.  But I'm not sure if I'm really interested in this whole Jekyll/Hyde aspect that they are clearly going for with Khalil and "Painkiller", and all of the scenes of them facing off (even though, again, Calloway is doing a good job with both of the characters.)  I think I would have been more interested if it was about him already getting rid of the Painkiller persona for good, and working towards redeeming himself and trying to be a hero.  I guess we'll see how it goes (I already know I'll give it a go, because I just can't quit these D.C. shows!), but I'm still cautious about it.

I did like the supporting cast that was introduced here and I'm guessing will be on the show.  Alongside the bartender/tech guy and doctor, I'm guessing that weapons dealer that lives in a trailer will also be sticking around.  And Mia is probably going to at least be the big baddie of the first season, I imagine.  All of the actors did well though.  Took me a while to place the actor playing the doctor, and then I realized that he was Kenny on The Night Shift, but he goes by James Roch now instead of JR Lemon like he did back then.

I did like that they worked in Anissa and Grace here by having them on their honeymoon, even if it ended up with it being ruined, because weddings and honeymoons never go well on these types of show.  I did like seeing more suited-up, badass Grace as well, although I'm bummed that we are only getting this now, during the final season.

Akashic Valley was pretty unique and well done.

Figured out the Odell twist early one thanks to Bill Duke's name in the credits, but it was still a nice reveal.

And, of course, we're back to not having any previews for next week's episode.  Hey, I'm all for them giving Legends of Tomorrow some hype/love (my favorite!), but I kind of feel bad how this show seems to be an afterthought in The CW's mind (especially compared to Supergirl having its final season too, but still getting promos.)

• Love 3

I realize this was a pilot; but - hoo boy - so much exposition.

I do like the new characters introduced; Maya and whatever she's up to is intriguing. It's weird that Khalil already has a team formed and headquarters set up. I know they explained backstories in the dialog, but I'd like to actually see some origin story.

A lot of the dialog was clunky. Calloway is good, but they are going to have make Khalil talking to himself more compelling/entertaining or cut down on that aspect. This potential spin-off is going to need more than fight scenes and philosophizing to keep it going.

Akashic City(?) looks cool... and is set in the future?? Sure, why not.

I was hoping that this could have stronger connections to Black Lightning, but they did give a good reason for Khalil to stay far away from the Pierces.

• Love 2

So instead of our regularly scheduled Black Lightning, we get the backdoor pilot to Painkiller, and as far as backdoor pilots go this was a pretty promising start. Lots of exposition, lots of new characters, still clearly trying to figure out what its going to be as a show, but as far as pilots go it seems like it could be the start of a fun show. Jordan Calloway is a good actor who can very much carry a series and Khalil is a very interesting character, but I do hope that eventually we can focus on just Khalil and not his Painkiller persona. The Jekyll/Hyde thing could get old pretty fast I feel like, Khalil has enough going on without a whole split personality. 

Akashic Valley is a really cool setting, very cyberpunk and futuristic. Its also a very district location that separates this show from BL, which is set in the very down to Earth modern city of Freeland. We have also quickly picked up a new supporting cast and a Big Bad, who all seem pretty promising, although I would like to have seen more of Khalil gathering his crew up, maybe in flashbacks? So our new bad guy is Odell's daughter, why am I not surprised? What a family they are, they must spend all Thanksgiving passing the potatoes and chatting about their evil schemes and conspiracies. 

Nice way to weave Anissa and Grace into the story by it being their honeymoon, and I am really glad that while Grace got kidnapped again, she managed to save herself and use her powers to kick some ass. I wish they had given Grace this badassness earlier in the show instead of sticking her in the damsel role for most of the show. 

I wonder if this show will let us check in with the Pierces sometimes even when the show ends and Khalil is staying away? Yeah, Jenn is Jenn but she is pretty different these days...

• Love 3

Grace and her magically appearing face mask, she could have just as easily pulled her turtle neck over her face and produced the same effect.

Khalil buys a ton of guns only to bring a sword and a few knives to the big fight.

Akashic Valley Forever!

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So instead of our regularly scheduled Black Lightning, we get the backdoor pilot to Painkiller . . .

🎶”Last night I saw a superhero / He was dressed in black / He said ‘I’m taking this week off’ / so here’s Painkiller instead.”🎶

Too harsh? 😈😜

• LOL 8

I'm tired of Grace being a damsel in distress. How many times are they going to make her a victim? At least this time she mostly recsued herself, but still. I prefer badasses on my superhero shows, vs helpless little ladies.

I am not up another moment, let alone another show, for emo Khalil/Painkiller. The scenery was cool, and some of the side characters have potential. But I just can't get interested in a weekly dose of his quicksand personality.

Don't know how I missed this one from last week, but I'm all caught up now. I liked it, but then I really have enjoyed the Painkiller character and Jordan Calloway's nuanced performance. I thought it was nice that they gave the PK identity a bit more depth than just mindless killer, but they probably had to in order to make a legit pilot. Have to say, I didn't see too much difference between how PK handled the toughs versus how Khalil handled them.

Serious Max Headroom vibes from Akashic Valley, but it is a nice change from some of the other shows in this universe. I'm not sure what was more weird: the fact that Wo Man carries an arsenal in the back of her car with nothing more than a sheet to conceal it, or that she has green interior lighting in said car.

If this gets picked up for a series, I'll watch it.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2021 at 11:06 PM, Lantern7 said:

The location was weird for me. Wakanda city was that?

I see what you did there.

On 4/13/2021 at 6:29 PM, Lantern7 said:

🎶”Last night I saw a superhero / He was dressed in black / He said ‘I’m taking this week off’ / so here’s Painkiller instead.”🎶

Too harsh? 😈😜

Or "He said this one's for the CW, in a week I'll be back."

I didn't know they were doing a backdoor pilot. I was wondering what there was no "book" or why it was just Anissa and Grace. I chalked it up to finishing the Painkiller story until they ended the episodes with the loose ends and ominous reveals.