Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E07 Johnson & Hopkins

• Start Topic

Miami, 1991: When Dwayne gets an on-campus job at the University of Miami, he goes on an epic adventure with his new work partner, Hopkins. Lia returns to the United States after being deported to Samoa, where she was homeless.

Original Air Date: April 6, 2021

Poor Lia

I wasn't paying enough attention initially and thought Dwayne and Hopkins were trying to get cell phones to work in order to call the phone booths, not to get the regular phones in the phone booths and on the walls to work. Duh

• Love 1

I remember hearing about the issues Lia faced in real life, so it was nice seeing the show address that.  Glad that all of the wrestlers were there to support her and still consider her family (even Junkyard Dog!)

I guess checking to make sure phone booths work would be a thing back in the 90s, before cell phones and whatnot!  Enjoyed the interactions between Dwayne and Hopkins, and all the homages to 80s action films (and I found it amusing that Dwayne preferred Stallone to Arnold, since it is usually the latter that the real Dwayne gets compared too.)

It might have been brief, but that final exchange with General Monica and Randall makes me want to see Rosario Dawson and Randall Park in a show together.  Hey, maybe when Disney finally gets all the right stuff sorted out with the Marvel Netflix shows, Claire Temple and Agent Woo can cross paths somehow!

• Love 8

"God help us if Chavez is wearing her comfortable heels." 

The action movie shout outs were really funny, Dwayne should really get used to running in slow motion, he's going to be doing a lot of that in the future. I guess checking on working phone booths on college campuses used to be a thing? I guess that means someone did it, even if I bet it was sadly less dramatic than this. 

Poor Lia, its so sad to see her in such a bad way, but its great to see all of the wrestlers gathering together to support her and tell her how much she has helped them. Even Junkyard Dog! Also nice to see that she and Rocky will make up, considering they are on the rocks in one of the previous eras. 

Rosario Dawson is a lot of fun here, and I really want more scenes between her and Randall now. "How many more are there?" "...eight." 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Dwayne should really get used to running in slow motion, he's going to be doing a lot of that in the future. I guess checking on working phone booths on college campuses used to be a thing? I guess that means someone did it, even if I bet it was sadly less dramatic than this. 

It sounds like one of those jobs they set up for athletes to make some easy money.  From the looks of his grades, Dwayne should have spent his work hours studying instead of watching action movies.  On second thought, considering his eventual occupation, he was probably better off watching the action movies.

Young Rock seems to take a lot of shortcuts, stealing clothes and goofing off on the job.  But his work ethic seems to take over where it really counts for him, in the weight room for instance.

I like Rosario Dawson, but is that really how female generals dress in the US?  She looks like some revolutionary freedom fighter from a third world country.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

I like Rosario Dawson, but is that really how female generals dress in the US?  She looks like some revolutionary freedom fighter from a third world country.

Maybe by 2032. Her dress uniform since it has branch insignia for which most Generals dont wear suggest she is in command of the Army Engineering Center and branch. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I momentarily thought that there might be a twist after Hopkins is hurt where his injury was serious and Dwayne needed to use an emergency phone to call for an ambulance, and realized how important those phones were.  They only cared because they were almost caught.

23 hours ago, rmontro said:

It sounds like one of those jobs they set up for athletes to make some easy money. 

Yeah, if they split the list, they could probably check all the phones in less than 15 minutes each.  Not a very demanding job.  I wonder what all the other workers (except the one in charge) were responsible for.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I momentarily thought that there might be a twist after Hopkins is hurt where his injury was serious and Dwayne needed to use an emergency phone to call for an ambulance, and realized how important those phones were.  They only cared because they were almost caught.

That would have made a better story, honestly.  But they seem to want to slide these acts of irresponsibility off as charm.

• Love 2
On 4/7/2021 at 1:28 PM, rmontro said:

Upon further review it looks like the uniforms on Stargate SG-1 worn by SG-1 when they were in meetings at the SGC before they changed when going on a mission.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Raja said:

Upon further review it looks like the uniforms on Stargate SG-1 worn by SG-1 when they were in meetings at the SGC before they changed when going on a mission.

I guess it's supposed to look futuristic.  Anyway, I don't like it.  Like I side, she looks like a third world dictator.  Not a great look for a vice presidential candidate.

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

I guess it's supposed to look futuristic.  Anyway, I don't like it.  Like I side, she looks like a third world dictator.  Not a great look for a vice presidential candidate.

Only Stargate was set in the real world time. Late 1990s early 21st century. Most everyone else wore standard USAF or USMC uniform. On most missions SG-1 wore the chemical warfare jacket with a black tactical vest or the battle dress uniforms of the day. On Young Rock they most likely just pulled an olive drape uniform off of the rack