Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: So Many Things We've Kept Buried

• Start Topic

Airing March 31, 2021. Sorry. Thought a repeat was airing:

Marcel deals with a patient who ends up having more in common with him than he thinks. Will and Ethan clash over a pregnant patient with an irregular heartbeat.

(edited)

I was totally surprised about Marcel’s history. I didn't know the actor was Iranian American and figured with that accent Marcel was a Black or biracial American New Orleans native. This is the second time in a few weeks that one of the shows I watch has revealed a character’s Iranian heritage with the actor being at least partially Iranian (Dr. Sharp on New Amsterdam). I don’t think we had a resolution to Goodwin’s son making a bad recommendation to using a device off label to grab the bullet

With the patient with the broken arm, I totally called it being the husband the minute he told Dr. Charles he was having sleep issues

In the story of the woman being a surrogate for her daughter, it seems both Will and Ethan were right and wrong about the case, but Will ended up making the right call with the final thing they tried. I figured the daughter was being abusive towards her mom. 

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 4

I know it's a TV show but is there really a state agency that helps birth mothers find kids they put up for adoption?  That just seems wrong.  I can understand adopted kids looking for their birth mothers and the state helping with that but not the other way around.  What if the child doesn't know they're adopted?  The birth mother just shows up and says "hey, I'm your mom!"

• Useful 3
6 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I know it's a TV show but is there really a state agency that helps birth mothers find kids they put up for adoption?  That just seems wrong.  I can understand adopted kids looking for their birth mothers and the state helping with that but not the other way around.  What if the child doesn't know they're adopted?  The birth mother just shows up and says "hey, I'm your mom!"

I’m not sure they are state run, but there are places that will allow birth parent and adoptee to find each other if both are willing. They each give information and if there’s a match both parties are informed. That may be what Maggie is using. I’m adopted and did something like that but nothing has come of it yet and I’m not willing to look on my own without knowing if my birth parents want to be found. I think the “clearinghouse” is associated with the state adoption agency that handled my adoption, but I’m not sure how close the association is

• Useful 5
11 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I’m not sure they are state run, but there are places that will allow birth parent and adoptee to find each other if both are willing. They each give information and if there’s a match both parties are informed. That may be what Maggie is using. I’m adopted and did something like that but nothing has come of it yet and I’m not willing to look on my own without knowing if my birth parents want to be found. I think the “clearinghouse” is associated with the state adoption agency that handled my adoption, but I’m not sure how close the association is

The "both are willing" part makes sense.  However, we pretty much know that's not what's going to happen with Maggie.  She's going to find her daughter without her consent, completely drop a bomb on her, and then her daughter will be in denial about it but will eventually come around.

• Love 3

The doctors at Chicago Med obviously don't watch enough medical dramas on TV.  When they couldn't find the bullet in the leg I immediately knew that it had traveled through the artery to somewhere else in the body.  I've seen it several times on other shows.  I thought it wasn't a hugely rare thing, so the fact that they didn't figure it out for a while seemed odd.

For a minute or two (until I saw her face clearly), I thought that the pregnant woman was being played by Amy Madigan. 

As for the deal with Goodwin's son, I'm guessing that she's not going to say anything about this incident (and will assume that he's 'learned his lesson'), but something else will happen and she'll have to confess to the higher-ups about this incident and will get everyone involved in trouble for keeping quiet about it. 

Crockett's backstory was interesting. 

• Love 3

I knew Dominic Raines was Iranian, but didn’t know if that would be worked into a storyline. I could buy him as being Cajun since I lived in South Louisiana for a time. It was cool hearing him speak Farsi.

When that woman jumped on her mother for being an alcoholic, I was like “Well, you picked her to be your surrogate, bitch!” I get the feeling she guilted her mother into it. At least she tried to talk her mother out of the risky option.

Yeah, April you can just waltz into the OR without the surgeon’s permission. She looked so indignant when he said no. Good for him!

I love, love, love Dr. Charles!

• Love 9

Do real doctors totally disagree so much about patient care?  It’s just ridiculous.  It’s as if they are yelling, fighting and coming to blows all the time.  I’m sick of it.  

I cannot fathom what Crockett sees in Natalie.  She exudes an uncomfortableness, imo.  Her talking about food options was so unnatural.....this show needs a couple more likable female characters.  Could April LEAVE to attend medical school?  

• Love 6

I wouldn't be surprised if Marcel's name background tracked his current name.

Another recycled story from Grey's Anatomy - Owen had similar PTSD symptoms and tried to strangle Christine a few times while sleeping. I knew that was going to be the diagnosis after it was clear that the soldier wasn't a psychopath.

I also took pleasure when April was excluded from the OR - in what universe do nurses have the time to do anything but take care of patients needing attention. But of course that is a whole species of medical care providers that I have never encountered. I have had great caring doctors and nurses but most of them are so pressed for time that they spend minimal amount of time with you unless you actively need some kind of medical attention. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Time is a big issue. One recurring tv medical drama theme that is a farce IRL is how the patient is determined to leave the hospital and return to work while medical staff plead, beg and develop elaborate ways to convince them to stay as they do extensive research on ways to best treat them.  I don’t know of anyone that’s happened to, unless it was an ailing senior who’s lost their mobility.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Quark said:

April saved a man's leg and still managed to be super annoying about it.

Do you think the suggestion at the end of the episode that April should have gone to medical school is an omen of things to come?   I hope not.  April is obnoxious enough as a nurse.  She'd be unbearable as a doctor.

Will is consistent.  He continues to annoy me week after week in each and every episode.  

Edited by AnnA
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 4/1/2021 at 7:46 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Do real doctors totally disagree so much about patient care?  It’s just ridiculous.  It’s as if they are yelling, fighting and coming to blows all the time.  I’m sick of it.  

I cannot fathom what Crockett sees in Natalie.  She exudes an uncomfortableness, imo.  Her talking about food options was so unnatural.....this show needs a couple more likable female characters.  Could April LEAVE to attend medical school?  

They most definitely do not. Real doctors respect the decisions of their colleagues. If there are multiple options, the patients are briefed on each option and will choose. All this coming to blows and running to BFs to double-doctor another doctor is just forced crap to try to illicit drama on this show. And it's not drama in a good way. And the fact it keeps being repeated over and over on this show is just plain annoying now.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

They most definitely do not. Real doctors respect the decisions of their colleagues. If there are multiple options, the patients are briefed on each option and will choose. All this coming to blows and running to BFs to double-doctor another doctor is just forced crap to try to illicit drama on this show. And it's not drama in a good way. And the fact it keeps being repeated over and over on this show is just plain annoying now.

Yeah. It must be lazy writing. The same thing over and over. Fight with other doctors about diagnosis or method of treatment and/or refuse to accept a patient’s decision about treatment.  They just cannot accept a patients decision.  It must be their way no matter what. I’m so over it.   Dr. Charles isn’t that way though.  

• Love 4
On 4/4/2021 at 10:06 AM, icemiser69 said:

Choi and Halstead are both after the same woman?   That won't end well.

I want to know what she's playing at. Dating coworkers is shaky enough. Openly dating two coworkers who are in conflict with each other is shady AF. Does she want to cause a fight?

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 2