Type keyword(s) to search

Race To The Center Of The Earth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Really enjoyed the first episode. It's a very interesting setup with the four different areas of the world, each with their own challenges. I'm curious to see how things progress, since Team North America spent an entire day in one location (climbing that wall), when other teams were covering hundreds of kilometers per day. Love seeing all the different modes of transportation and navigation challenges.

Edited by jpgr
typo
  • Love 1

I liked it too.  The scenery was gorgeous.  

9 hours ago, jpgr said:

Team North America spent an entire day in one location (climbing that wall), when other teams were covering hundreds of kilometers per day.

And didn't they spend another day going down it?  I do think that the second leg for everyone was shorter. 

18 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I liked it too.  The scenery was gorgeous.  

And didn't they spend another day going down it?  I do think that the second leg for everyone was shorter. 

I think the first day for them was getting to the wall, climbing halfway up, then spending the night on the ledge. Second day was climbing the rest of the way up.

• Useful 1

The boss of the Denver office was eating humble pie on the big climb. The glue of the team is Mindy.

The 2 female, 1 dude team of climbers  is at a disadvantage just because of sheer strength that will be needed at some point of their journey...if you are a fan of these shows it is just a fact having 2 women just gives you an disadvantage. Maybe this team will make me a liar.

The glue is the young short woman.

The team of cops seem the most balanced...mentally and physically. The female is the glue.

The team of teachers..the Tom Selleck look alike in the  Hawaiian shirt dude does not know/trust the Asian lady's ability but since you must a female on the team he finds that she is useful to ask directions and interact even though she doesn't speak the local Language.

The tall guy is the glue of the team of teachers.

(edited)

What fun!  Since we won’t have TAR for a while this is a great alternate. Yes, the scenery is breathtaking.  Awesome planet.

How many episodes is this?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

I didn't love this as much as I hoped.  Probably because they spent a lot of time on the individuals and not as much on the challenges.   Perhaps as we move forward, and get to know them better, we'll see more of the competition.

• Love 1

I find Autumn absolutely insufferable. Her elbow, her knee, she's so frustrated because they're behind! 

I love the North America team and am in awe of their positive attitudes. Compare and contrast: Autumn hits her elbow, cries, moans, whinges and calls for a medic. Paul is hauling a canoe through underbrush, loses his footing, falls with heavy canoe on top of him, takes 10 seconds to catch his breath and scrambles to his feet saying "I'm OK!" with a laugh. (I was awestruck, he was on the ground, on a hill, head facing downward, surrounded by brush and rocks and trees, and still managed to get purchase and get up!) When they ever got in that canoe and rowed for all they were worth against the current I was on the edge of my chair. These guys have determination and grit for days.

I don't mind the other two teams though I am put off by the douchebro on Southeast Asia. I am hoping that he is served a heaping helping of crow soon.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I find Autumn absolutely insufferable. Her elbow, her knee, she's so frustrated because they're behind!

Autumn was wearing layers plus a puffy jacket when she whacked her elbow on the metal ledge...she must be the Hulk to hurt herself wearing that much padding

Then the knee moanfest...it was intolerable to us in a 1 minute montage...can you imagine what it was like for her teammates if they weren't kayakinging for part of their challenge?

4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I don't mind the other two teams though I am put off by the douchebro on Southeast Asia. I am hoping that he is served a heaping helping of crow soon.

Baby Tom Selleck resents the female team member crashing the brolovefest.

If drowning her was an option without penalizing the team then she would have been a goner in Ha Long Bay....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Then the knee moanfest...it was intolerable to us in a 1 minute montage...can you imagine what it was like for her teammates if they weren't kayakinging for part of their challenge?

"MykneeisachigmykneeiskilligmeowmykneemykneemykneemykneedidImentionIhurtmyknee?anditreallyreallyhurts"

I am utterly flabbergasted that her kayaking partner didn't clock her with a paddle when she was criticizing her non stop! She is a downer. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I am utterly flabbergasted that her kayaking partner didn't clock her with a paddle when she was criticizing her non stop! She is a downer.

Her short teammate gave her a piggy back ride! Hell to the NO.

Sierra threw Autumn(tweaked knee) a ton of shade on her whiner friend during her TH....so she got to vent.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

If drowning her was an option without penalizing the team then she would have been a goner in Ha Long Bay....

That's so wrong but so so true.  

But that does make me wonder what would happen to a team if a teammate drops out or needs to leave.  I know in shows like The Amazing Race or the Eco Challenge (*sniff* RIP), all members need to complete the race but in this episode, a member of Team North America mentioned almost being one team member down.  

I wonder if a team can continue missing a member. If there's no penalty, I'd tell Autumn to beat it. 

• Love 1

Show was cast in 2019 and shot in Fall 2019.

Production had their expert race teams run each route 3 times to determine the time allotments and fairness between the 4 race routes in leveling the playing field in terms of the challenges

The narrator started saying if a team member can not continue then the remaining 2 can...then left the audience hanging....I cannot find any clarity of rules online..and probably won’t...much to my irritation.

• Useful 2
On 4/7/2021 at 10:13 PM, Door County Cherry said:

That's so wrong but so so true.  

But that does make me wonder what would happen to a team if a teammate drops out or needs to leave.  I know in shows like The Amazing Race or the Eco Challenge (*sniff* RIP), all members need to complete the race but in this episode, a member of Team North America mentioned almost being one team member down.  

I wonder if a team can continue missing a member. If there's no penalty, I'd tell Autumn to beat it. 

If one person drops out the other two have the option to continue. Of course it gets harder for some challenges if there are only two people. Imagine only two people portaging that canoe through the woods! Yikes.

• Love 2

Russian Team has had the least physical challenges so are racking up the points.
How do you say “you’re full” in Russian?   You don’t. 
Hostess obviously cooked for days for a crowd....smoked whole fish and cured whole fish were beautifully done...the sides yummy.

Southeast Asia Team are a working well but Baby Tom Selleck can’t stop using his THs to express his resentment of his female teammate third wheeling his bromance...his inability to handle his emotions will eventually sabotage the team.

North American Team is having a crisis of leadership...continue to follow bull headed Dave who is endangering their life and limb by  blindly pushing forward or mutiny the boss...

South American Team in a day of driving in a nice pickup on a well paved straight  empty road, just had one job...keep their gas tank filled...and they failed.
More bad decisions are digging their point hole deeper...

• Love 3

So, team South America's task is to drive a provided truck. Team Asia rides a bus. Team North America has to hike and climb across miles of difficult terrain and find 14 checkpoints. Does anyone else think there's a disparity in the tasks? Yikes. 

• Love 4

Can you imagine the whining and carrying on (Autumn) if Team South America had to portage that canoe through the heavy, gnarly vegetation, giant exposed tree roots, steep uphills...I would have pressed mute...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

So, team South America's task is to drive a provided truck. Team Asia rides a bus. Team North America has to hike and climb across miles of difficult terrain and find 14 checkpoints. Does anyone else think there's a disparity in the tasks? Yikes. 

There's certainly a different level of intensity between schlepping a canoe up a ridge and the drama of a flat tire in a foreign language.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I was coming to say the same thing. It seems like all the other teams gets to travel in vehicles for days while North America has to slog through marshes or find 14 checkpoints or drag a canoe. I don't get how catching a train or bus is an adventure race.

• Love 3

Hopefully the other teams will have more strenuous days later.  Team NA's route has been brutal.  Early in the show I was enjoying David's good natured comments, liking how the three of them were so good humored after getting over the cliff, but he turned into a jerk boss by insisting they slog through the marsh.  Not sure taking the longer route following the river would be any better, but he was too dismissive of the woman's idea.  (I forget her name.)

I did laugh at the one guy on Team Russia who greeted the reindeer with something like "hey, bro, how you doing?"  Something funny.  I was waiting for a "my reindeer is broken" moment but they seemed pretty cooperative.  I don't know if it was him or the other guy trying to speak Russian.  That was amusing too.  

Still not feeling Team SAmerica with whiny Amber.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Hopefully the other teams will have more strenuous days later.  Team NA's route has been brutal.  Early in the show I was enjoying David's good natured comments, liking how the three of them were so good humored after getting over the cliff, but he turned into a jerk boss by insisting they slog through the marsh.  Not sure taking the longer route following the river would be any better, but he was too dismissive of the woman's idea.  (I forget her name.)

Mindy. I was getting annoyed with Dave but to his credit, he did listen and acknowledge that he'd been a jerk. I hope the team takes the opportunity to reset. I still like them best and hope they go all the way. 

• Love 1

How great was it that Team Russia had to walk reindeer?  I loved it!

I agree with everyone else that I love Team North America and can't stand whiny Amber on Team South America.  She must have known that she had a weak knee before she started.  

I am so glad others have noticed that it seems like Team North America's treks have been more physically demanding.  It seems like every stop involved climbing while we're looking at other groups driving or taking the train or taking a bus.

16 hours ago, Haleth said:

Not sure taking the longer route following the river would be any better, but he was too dismissive of the woman's idea. 

We don't know but I suspect it would have been.  I bet there's some strategy involved in these legs.  Dave seems really focused on taking the shortest route over the most strategic route.  

IT also made me realize that going through the marsh made it seem quite difficult whereas it's possible that the river route would have been longer but less eventful and therefore faster. And had they done that without any drama, the editing probably would have fast forwarded and their leg of the race might have seemed as a relaxed one for them. 

• Love 2

Why do I not love this show?! I love Amazing Race (um, okay not last season). And I really love BBC's Race Across the World. 

I think it's the production/editing. Every shot is about 2 seconds long. I can never settle in and enjoy a task or a location because 2 seconds later I am somewhere else doing something else. And since they are all running different routes, I cannot tell where anybody stands or who is doing what better. Which means there has to be CONSTANT narration about who is 6 minutes behind and why it might COST THEM A MILLION DOLLARS!!!!! It is super annoying to have to listen to that guy all episode. I would rather hear the participants speak more, cuz I feel like I have not really gotten to know them much at all, and thus am not very invested in who wins.

I haven't even really gotten the teams sorted after three episodes. At least give them AR type names like, The Cops, The Climbers, etc., so I can try to keep things straight! I cannot memorize who is Team Russia and who is Team South America! 

...okay I think I am done complaining now. LOL!! I am hoping it gets better once they are all racing the final leg together. It just bugs me cuz with all the amazing locations, this show should be totally awesome! 

• Love 2

The narration is intrusive and annoying, trying to ramp up the drama. Agree on the choppy directing, also. The talking heads drone on and on about the same points over and over. The idea? Great! The scenery? Awesome! The teams? Boring. I'm not getting any sense of what anyone's all about. The only ones I like are North America, just because they are awe inspiring in their indefatigable confidence and sheer will. Boss man's a bit of an annoyance but, shrug, he's used to being in charge. The rest of the teams are dullsville. The only thing I have learned about them is that Autumn is a whiny, spoiled princess.

• Love 3
On 4/16/2021 at 4:19 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

The narration is intrusive and annoying, trying to ramp up the drama. Agree on the choppy directing, also. The talking heads drone on and on about the same points over and over. The idea? Great! The scenery? Awesome! The teams? Boring. I'm not getting any sense of what anyone's all about. The only ones I like are North America, just because they are awe inspiring in their indefatigable confidence and sheer will. Boss man's a bit of an annoyance but, shrug, he's used to being in charge. The rest of the teams are dullsville. The only thing I have learned about them is that Autumn is a whiny, spoiled princess.

He seems like the type that believes he's the best, most generous, most awesome boss ever, and would be shocked if his employees didn't feel the same way. Unfortunately, like a lot of people like this, he seems to spend so much time trying to convince people he's that guy, he fails to actually be that guy. At least that's how he comes across to me. Autumn is exhausting.

So, team Southeast Asia gets a nice, relaxing boat ride. Team South America drives a brand new truck. Russia takes a train. North America rides bikes uphill and negotiates white water. I give up. 

And seriously, Southeast Asia douchebro yelling "We're in a race! Fasterfasterfasterfasterfaster" made me want to strangle him. 

And shocker, Autumn's in pain, you guys. 

Edited by Pepper Mostly

To be fair, I don't think the train for Russia was part of any leg this time but yeah, I had to laugh.  Biking and white water rafting with a short drive and then going up an icy mountain with a snow storm headed their way which likely meant they couldn't gun it even when they did hit the car for North America. 

And that discloses another issues with going off of a pace time--what were the conditions like when the pace crew went through?

I get that the South Asian team might actually prefer tasks that require their own physical skills over having to rely on how fast a boat is choosing to go but they're going to be more well rested for the final leg or at least they're facing fewer chances of injuries. 

• Love 1

Autumn's team mate's stating she has the lowest pain threshold of anyone he knows...big effing duh...

The editors really hate the audience, making us listen to her audio for far too long....

The unrelenting whining that her va jay jay hurts...

Let's make a list of her injuries...elbow, knee, leg, lady parts

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I get that the South Asian team might actually prefer tasks that require their own physical skills over having to rely on how fast a boat is choosing to go but they're going to be more well rested for the final leg or at least they're facing fewer chances of injuries. 

And they still arrived in time to get 2 points! I just don't see how this is fair. Team North America is being killed!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

The unrelenting whining that her va jay jay hurts...

Okay, wait, what the hell, she injured her lady cavern? How on earth? 

Yes, there is no way this race could really be totally fair, unless they were all running the same route. Not sure why they broke it up like this, and, for me, it just adds to the choppy nature of the show. 

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Riding a bike, Autumn's cooter got a world of hurt from the vibration and pounding of a bumpy road...🙄

Think  Princess and the Pee (hole)

Her female team mate with the same indoor plumbing and male team mate with his outer junkage...had no complaints riding the same bike on the same road

Some long downhills but the road was dry and fairly straight with mild uphills....oy vey... the insistent braying

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

To be fair, I don't think the train for Russia was part of any leg this time but yeah, I had to laugh.  Biking and white water rafting with a short drive and then going up an icy mountain with a snow storm headed their way which likely meant they couldn't gun it even when they did hit the car for North America. 

And that discloses another issues with going off of a pace time--what were the conditions like when the pace crew went through?

Team Russia did have a brutal leg, crossing that desert, but nothing like Team North America.  Who knew that there is a desert in Russia?  I certainly didn't.

Why did special princess Autumn even come on this show?  Why did her teammates accept her?  Wait a minute.  She just said that she does not ride bikes ever.  WTF!!

Edited by susannot
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Yes, there is no way this race could really be totally fair, unless they were all running the same route. Not sure why they broke it up like this, and, for me, it just adds to the choppy nature of the show. 

I'm guessing she didn't do much biking because your body gets used to it.  But as someone who hasn't done much biking, I definitely have felt what she's feeling.  

But that is literally the only defense I have for her.  Holy hell is she annoying.  Why did she come on this?  There must have been a hint that she was a whiner before they invited her to join them.

I don't think having them start in different areas is inherently unfair but having the legs be different in terms of difficulty seems to be a major flaw.  It makes me wonder how they missed that.  It's not just about the length of the legs.  

Team South America keeps getting worse.  Now we learn that:  Autumn has never done white water rafting or canoeing, in addition to never bicyling; and Sierra had a spiral fracture and broke her leg in 1000 pieces.  Again, why are they on this show?

Meanwhile, Team North America climbs 6 miles straight up a slippery, ice covered mountain.  And they sing O Canada.

I did like Team Russia doing yoga in their down time on the train.  I do yoga and it is great for loosening and stretching.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 1
On 4/21/2021 at 9:11 PM, Haleth said:

Teammates: “You’re doing great, Autumn!  Keep going!”

Autumn: “WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?  WAHHH!”

Oh, brother. 🙄 She is so annoying. 

Then, when Sierra was asking her teammates to slow down to accommodate her, because she has dozens of pins and screws and rods in her legs and ankles, Autumn had no compassion to spare. 

13 hours ago, susannot said:

Team South America keeps getting worse.  Now we learn that:  Autumn has never done white water rafting or canoeing, in addition to never bicyling; and Sierra had a spiral fracture and broke her leg in 1000 pieces.  Again, why are they on this show?

Meanwhile, Team North America climbs 6 miles straight up a slippery, ice covered mountain.  And they sing O Canada.

I did like Team Russia doing yoga in their down time on the train.  I do yoga and it is great for loosening and stretching.

If anyone but Team North America wins this I am going to be seriously put out. 

It was fun to see Marilena on Southeast Asia put her douchey teammates in their place with her rock climbing prowess. 

• Love 3

Autumn:  Pisses and moans for 375673937 km about her bumped elbow, sore knee, and bruised vag (also, Autumn, it's your vulva and/or perineum that hurt...if your vagina hurts after riding a bike, you may have been getting a bit too intimate with the seat).

Angelina:  Hears an audible pop from one of her limbs; experiences sweat- and nausea-inducing pain...DOESN'T WHINE AND KEEPS PADDLING THE FUCKING CANOE.

---

Teams Russia, SE Asia, and S America:  Arise from their indoor accommodations and hop into trucks or train.

Team NA:  Wakes up freezing on a mountaintop and proceed to schlep down said mountain on foot.

I mean, I know they said that these routes have been thoroughly vetted for fairness as far as difficulty goes, but it does seem like Team NA is constantly getting the shaft.

---

I've done quite a few work trips to S. America, and their strikes are no joke, man.  I'm interested in seeing where Team SA's emergency evacuation plan takes them.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Teams Russia, SE Asia, and S America:  Arise from their indoor accommodations and hop into trucks or train.

Team NA:  Wakes up freezing on a mountaintop and proceed to schlep down said mountain on foot.

I mean, I know they said that these routes have been thoroughly vetted for fairness as far as difficulty goes, but it does seem like Team NA is constantly getting the shaft.

You are not alone in that assessment. I'm screaming at my TV "When do these poor bastards get a break!" No nice leisurely boat trips for them. No train journey. Not even a goddamn bike ride, horsies, or reindeer wrangling. Just grueling treks across difficult terrain, white water, canoe portaging, oh, and high altitude camping in freezing temperatures. Jesus. 

Just imagine--IMAGINE! if team South America drew the North America straw. They'd still be in Ontario.

• Love 3

I'm hoping the last leg for Team NA is a day at a spa, while everyone else has to climb a mountain while hopping on one foot.  The NA team seems to have had way more than their share of grueling days.

The rioting in Santiago (?) was scary.  The producers must have been aware days earlier that things were getting hairy and should have made arrangements before putting everyone in danger.

I'm glad James of Team SE Asia was humbled a bit while Marilena sprinted up the rock like a mountain goat.

Team Russia is fine too, they seem to be having fun, but cannot remember the guys' names.  They are kind of bland.  The yoga was fun though, as was watching the Russians watching them.

• Love 2

Team NA:  14 mile horse side down a mountain, followed by 3 miles in white water rapids.  Team SA: transported away from riots in Santiago in a comfortable, air-conditioned van.  The riots in Santiago looked just like, or less scary than, riots in numerous American cities during the summer of 2020.

(edited)

If you have given up on the show after a few episodes, the last show is delightful and worth seeing who won the 1 million dollar prize.

The last leg just amplifies each teams’ character as seen from the previous 2 weeks...

Day 1 Separates the Boys from the Men.

Who can look past an injury and who cannot. Man down....

Hit mute when you know who whines about her you know what...

One error at the wrong time screws the pooch of one team.

Everyone running the same course gives it the urgency and competitiveness between the teams....nipping at heels to quote the disembodied voice.

Day 2

The flume looks awesome.

It is a race at the end thanks to the determination of the second place team....

The team that was shakiest in the beginning, gelled and won.

YMMV about the winning team.

To avoid spoiling the ending if inquiring minds want to know....More snark later.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 1

The South Asian team was my second favorite team so I guess I'm glad they won.  

I developed a massive crush on Paul in this episode.  Well--all along. He was the perfect teammate.  He was supportive when the team struggled and mediated the conflict between Dave and Mindy.  He was also authoritative about the direction the team should go in. He probably should have been the navigator all along and they should have all done what he decided instead of what Dave insisted they do.  For instance, Dave is this total "grrrrrrr let's go" type.  All hype.  Paul seemed to realize that they're a team and while they could go ahead and push themselves, there was no point in trying to go faster than their slowest teammate.  It's a waste of energy.  

The narration tried to make it seem like it was a "hot on their heels" type of race but we never saw the teams in the same frame so it clearly wasn't. I also noticed that they didn't list out the time lapsed.  And I wanted to know when they left the next day.  Russia came in at night because of their navigation mistakes.  Did they release the teams with a pre-set separation time (like 10 minutes apart?  20?) Or was the difference in their departure the same as their difference in when they came in at the end of Day 1. 

I laughed when Team NA ran into the Russian team going the other way.   

Sierra really was not having Autumn.  Are we going or not?  Going . K.  I don't know why it took them so long to call a medic. 

• Love 3