Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Door County Cherry

Race To The Center Of The Earth

Airs on Nat Geo.

Four teams of adventurers embark on a quest to sprint around the world on a challenging course in the hopes of beating the others to a buoy in the middle of the ocean on which is stashed a $1 million prize.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the first episode. It's a very interesting setup with the four different areas of the world, each with their own challenges. I'm curious to see how things progress, since Team North America spent an entire day in one location (climbing that wall), when other teams were covering hundreds of kilometers per day. Love seeing all the different modes of transportation and navigation challenges.

Edited by jpgr · Reason: typo
  • Like 1

I liked it too.  The scenery was gorgeous.  

9 hours ago, jpgr said:

Team North America spent an entire day in one location (climbing that wall), when other teams were covering hundreds of kilometers per day.

And didn't they spend another day going down it?  I do think that the second leg for everyone was shorter. 

18 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I liked it too.  The scenery was gorgeous.  

And didn't they spend another day going down it?  I do think that the second leg for everyone was shorter. 

I think the first day for them was getting to the wall, climbing halfway up, then spending the night on the ledge. Second day was climbing the rest of the way up.

• Useful 1

The boss of the Denver office was eating humble pie on the big climb. The glue of the team is Mindy.

The 2 female, 1 dude team of climbers  is at a disadvantage just because of sheer strength that will be needed at some point of their journey...if you are a fan of these shows it is just a fact having 2 women just gives you an disadvantage. Maybe this team will make me a liar.

The glue is the young short woman.

The team of cops seem the most balanced...mentally and physically. The female is the glue.

The team of teachers..the Tom Selleck look alike in the  Hawaiian shirt dude does not know/trust the Asian lady's ability but since you must a female on the team he finds that she is useful to ask directions and interact even though she doesn't speak the local Language.

The tall guy is the glue of the team of teachers.

What fun!  Since we won’t have TAR for a while this is a great alternate. Yes, the scenery is breathtaking.  Awesome planet.

How many episodes is this?

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1

I didn't love this as much as I hoped.  Probably because they spent a lot of time on the individuals and not as much on the challenges.   Perhaps as we move forward, and get to know them better, we'll see more of the competition.

• Like 1

Gosh that South American scenery/glacier was divine.

I do not like Team Russia so they'll probably win.

I love the teamwork on Team North America but goodness did their trek look amazingly difficult. 

• Like 2

I find Autumn absolutely insufferable. Her elbow, her knee, she's so frustrated because they're behind! 

I love the North America team and am in awe of their positive attitudes. Compare and contrast: Autumn hits her elbow, cries, moans, whinges and calls for a medic. Paul is hauling a canoe through underbrush, loses his footing, falls with heavy canoe on top of him, takes 10 seconds to catch his breath and scrambles to his feet saying "I'm OK!" with a laugh. (I was awestruck, he was on the ground, on a hill, head facing downward, surrounded by brush and rocks and trees, and still managed to get purchase and get up!) When they ever got in that canoe and rowed for all they were worth against the current I was on the edge of my chair. These guys have determination and grit for days.

I don't mind the other two teams though I am put off by the douchebro on Southeast Asia. I am hoping that he is served a heaping helping of crow soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I find Autumn absolutely insufferable. Her elbow, her knee, she's so frustrated because they're behind!

Autumn was wearing layers plus a puffy jacket when she whacked her elbow on the metal ledge...she must be the Hulk to hurt herself wearing that much padding

Then the knee moanfest...it was intolerable to us in a 1 minute montage...can you imagine what it was like for her teammates if they weren't kayakinging for part of their challenge?

4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I don't mind the other two teams though I am put off by the douchebro on Southeast Asia. I am hoping that he is served a heaping helping of crow soon.

Baby Tom Selleck resents the female team member crashing the brolovefest.

If drowning her was an option without penalizing the team then she would have been a goner in Ha Long Bay....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Then the knee moanfest...it was intolerable to us in a 1 minute montage...can you imagine what it was like for her teammates if they weren't kayakinging for part of their challenge?

"MykneeisachigmykneeiskilligmeowmykneemykneemykneemykneedidImentionIhurtmyknee?anditreallyreallyhurts"

I am utterly flabbergasted that her kayaking partner didn't clock her with a paddle when she was criticizing her non stop! She is a downer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I am utterly flabbergasted that her kayaking partner didn't clock her with a paddle when she was criticizing her non stop! She is a downer.

Her short teammate gave her a piggy back ride! Hell to the NO.

Sierra threw Autumn(tweaked knee) a ton of shade on her whiner friend during her TH....so she got to vent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

If drowning her was an option without penalizing the team then she would have been a goner in Ha Long Bay....

That's so wrong but so so true.  

But that does make me wonder what would happen to a team if a teammate drops out or needs to leave.  I know in shows like The Amazing Race or the Eco Challenge (*sniff* RIP), all members need to complete the race but in this episode, a member of Team North America mentioned almost being one team member down.  

I wonder if a team can continue missing a member. If there's no penalty, I'd tell Autumn to beat it. 

• Like 1

Show was cast in 2019 and shot in Fall 2019.

Production had their expert race teams run each route 3 times to determine the time allotments and fairness between the 4 race routes in leveling the playing field in terms of the challenges

The narrator started saying if a team member can not continue then the remaining 2 can...then left the audience hanging....I cannot find any clarity of rules online..and probably won’t...much to my irritation.

• Useful 2

On 4/7/2021 at 10:13 PM, Door County Cherry said:

That's so wrong but so so true.  

But that does make me wonder what would happen to a team if a teammate drops out or needs to leave.  I know in shows like The Amazing Race or the Eco Challenge (*sniff* RIP), all members need to complete the race but in this episode, a member of Team North America mentioned almost being one team member down.  

I wonder if a team can continue missing a member. If there's no penalty, I'd tell Autumn to beat it. 

If one person drops out the other two have the option to continue. Of course it gets harder for some challenges if there are only two people. Imagine only two people portaging that canoe through the woods! Yikes.

• Like 2