Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Early-May 2020

• Start Topic

The copy for this episode said "Micah and Charley's relationship grows deeper," which doesn't sound like a son and his mother.

I howled when Calvin's daughter hugged Nova - the face Nova made was hilarious. But was the vibe between Nova and the daughter weird? Maybe it was the way they were speaking - Nova tends to be kind of formal in her speech, and the daughter was too. "His heart is so full when he's with you."

When Charley and Micah talked about Charley's father, I teared up. I sobbed when Vi was talking to Hollywood when he was going to lose his mother. I lost my dad recently and I miss him every day. Seeing Hollywood lose his mother, hearing him say he thought he'd have more time, made me cry. I did not lose my dad to COVID but I didn't expect to lose him when I did. Vi's words were comforting to me too. I talk to my dad too, like Ralph Angel did.

... Whew, let me stop.

I liked hearing Charley talk about what it was like being a young mother. I also loved seeing Ralph Angel meet Mr. Reggie. (When he was sleeping at the end of the episode I was like "THEY BETTER NOT" and exhaled when he was OK and got to see his wife. 

Glad Mr. Prosper and Vi are roommates. I just love Mr. Prosper. He reminds me of my grandpop.

Charley's "like father, like son" was harsh but she wasn't wrong to check Micah for going to a party in the middle of a damn pandemic so he could come back to HER house and possibly infect her.

• Love 11
17 hours ago, Empress1 said:

The copy for this episode said "Micah and Charley's relationship grows deeper," which doesn't sound like a son and his mother.

I howled when Calvin's daughter hugged Nova - the face Nova made was hilarious. But was the vibe between Nova and the daughter weird? Maybe it was the way they were speaking - Nova tends to be kind of formal in her speech, and the daughter was too. "His heart is so full when he's with you."

When Charley and Micah talked about Charley's father, I teared up. I sobbed when Vi was talking to Hollywood when he was going to lose his mother. I lost my dad recently and I miss him every day. Seeing Hollywood lose his mother, hearing him say he thought he'd have more time, made me cry. I did not lose my dad to COVID but I didn't expect to lose him when I did. Vi's words were comforting to me too. I talk to my dad too, like Ralph Angel did.

... Whew, let me stop.

I liked hearing Charley talk about what it was like being a young mother. I also loved seeing Ralph Angel meet Mr. Reggie. (When he was sleeping at the end of the episode I was like "THEY BETTER NOT" and exhaled when he was OK and got to see his wife. 

Glad Mr. Prosper and Vi are roommates. I just love Mr. Prosper. He reminds me of my grandpop.

Charley's "like father, like son" was harsh but she wasn't wrong to check Micah for going to a party in the middle of a damn pandemic so he could come back to HER house and possibly infect her.

I really don't know why Charley apologized the way she did,  Micah is no grown man,  he is a tall baby who does whatever he wants.  He should apologize for lying about where he was going and for putting them at risk.  That is one spoiled kid.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, jrzy said:

I really don't know why Charley apologized the way she did,  Micah is no grown man,  he is a tall baby who does whatever he wants.  He should apologize for lying about where he was going and for putting them at risk.  That is one spoiled kid.  

Also he’s fresh, as my mother used to say, with the way he talks to her. “I’m gonna need you not to talk to me like a kid.” Last I checked she still paid his bills. 

And he should have apologized. I hope he finds out about Hollywood’s mother and feels terrible.

• Love 9
On 3/9/2021 at 9:13 PM, Empress1 said:

Same. I said OUCH loudly when Charley said Micah was like Davis but Charley wasn't wrong in her anger. Micah wants to think he's a man since he's in college but he's still hiding things (pledging, the party in a damn pandemic) and acting out when called out out his choices. Charley was right to tell him he's acting like a child cause Micah totally is acting like a brat. He has been for a long while and IMO his trifling ass needs some tough love. I don't think Charley should have apologized to Micah. I don't think she was wrong (well, maybe the Davis line was a bridge too far) and Micah was being reckless. Did I miss his apology to her? Cause I swear all I heard was Micah accepting Charley's apology for her rightly telling him about himself.

• Love 9

I'm loving Vi this season.I agree that her words were such a comfort.  Poor Hollywood and poor Willie Mae. The hospital restrictions (even if necessary) just plain suck.

I'm glad Prosper is with Violet. I hope they both stay safe.

As a new mom to an infant son,  I loved hearing Charley talk about when Micah was small. I'll be damned if my son will ever be as disrespectful as Micah,though. He needs to understand that while he may be becoming an adult, Charley is still his mother and should still be treated with respect.

• Love 3

Nova's face when Calvin's daughter hugged her was hilarious, its always great when Nova gets caught off guard. I am glad that she and Calvin's daughter are getting along and that his daughter really doesn't seem anything like her awful mom, but this will probably lead to even more drama with Calvin's ex if her and Calvin's kids all really like Nova. 

Charlie's comment on how Micah was acting like Davis was harsh, but it wasn't wrong and I don't think she needed to apologize. Or at least Micah should have apologized too, and of course he didn't, because Micah is still a child. He can say he's a grown man now, but a grown man wouldn't do something as stupid as going to a big party during the height of COVID to mess around with some new girl and then get all snippy at being called out. Micah was just acting like a spoiled brat and Charlie had every right to call him out. They did at least have some nice talks about how Charlie raised Micah while she was in college, which is something the show has never really talked about. 

So sad about Hollywood's mom, I guessed that we would lose someone to COVID but that was so rough to watch. It also tied in really emotionally with Charlie talking about her dad and then Ralph Angel talking to their dad as Hollywood talked to his mom after he found out she passed. Vi also had some very thoughtful words for him, a lot of sad scenes but with a lot of sweetness. 

So glad that Vi and Mr. Prosper are going to be roommates, he was so sad all alone. I swear they better not be thinking about hurting Mr. Prosper, or we are gonna have to have words...

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

He can say he's a grown man now, but a grown man wouldn't do something as stupid as going to a big party during the height of COVID to mess around with some new girl and then get all snippy at being called out.

To be fair, there are a LOT of people in this country who are and have been doing exactly this.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

To be fair, there are a LOT of people in this country who are and have been doing exactly this.

I wish every one of them had a Charlie around to tell them what morons they are! I should rephrase, no responsible grown man would do something so stupid. 

I just hate that Charlie is so often the one who has to apologize and the one who ends up getting yelled at when all she is trying to do is talk sense. She so often seems to be the only person trying to help her family and the town in ways that can actually make a change but everyone always jumps down her throat about every single thing. 

• Love 6

15 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

As a new mom to an infant son,  I loved hearing Charley talk about when Micah was small. I'll be damned if my son will ever be as disrespectful as Micah,though. He needs to understand that while he may be becoming an adult, Charley is still his mother and should still be treated with respect.

Coupled with what she said in 2X10, the entire story is pretty crazy here and someone could write a prequel novel or something.  So she and Davis met in college, got accidentally pregnant, got married, then were estranged for a year?  And this would all be more or less public knowledge or at least gossip since Davis was at least a little bit famous as an elite college basketball player.  No surprise the university accommodated her request for graduate student housing, D1 athletes get a lot of perks.  

• Love 1

Nova just works my nerves no matter what she does. I cracked up when she told Calvin that she didn't want him to think their relationship would be easy. Nobody in their right mind could think for a moment that a relationship with Nova could be easy and that has nothing to do with the politics of the times we're living in.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

Oh, I don't know about Prosper moving in with Vi. Have either of them been tested? But I'm glad he has people looking out for him. Maybe he won't be so afraid now.

Surely there must be some online programs for gifted children Blue could tap into. Darla feeling overwhelmed by trying to keep up with him is understandable but at least she's only got one child, and she has a partner to help her. Single parents with multiple school-aged children are likely having it rougher than most right now if their local schools are closed.

Wow, Calvin's daughter is Woke. That was unexpected to me.

Lol at Charley finding out Micah's new girlfriend's name is Amber and immediately asking if the girl was White. Reverse racism! 😉

Ya done good, Ralph Angel. That was a very thoughtful thing he did for the nursing home couple. Darla better not break his heart.

ETA: I was reminded later that tests for the general populace were not yet widely available at this point. Probably the only indication Vi or Prosper would've had was particular symptoms but they might've been asymptomatic.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3

Coupled with what she said in 2X10, the entire story is pretty crazy here and someone could write a prequel novel or something.  So she and Davis met in college, got accidentally pregnant, got married, then were estranged for a year? 

I think there's some retconning happening here. When she was shopping for wedding dresses with Darla seasons ago, she said that she loved the first dress that she tried on, her mother told her that she looked pregnant, she was, but she said that everyone thinks that her and Davis got married because she got pregnant, but they were going to get married anyway because they loved each other. Judging from the story she told Micah, she made it sound as if she and Davis were unwed. Or, it was unclear if they were at the time. 

I was fine with Charley apologizing to Micah. She was right until she hit him with the "like father like son" line. I know she meant his irresponsibility was similar to Davis, but considering that Davis had a longterm call girl that he was screwing, and that's not the worse part, he set her up to be raped! I would've been taken aback by that as well if I were Micah.  However, it would've been great if Micah also apologized for going to a party in a middle of a pandemic!