Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Don't Want To Face This Now

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

It was great to see the marvelous Dr. Abrams again. I loved his answer to the wife asking why nobody had diagnosed her husband correctly before: “Incompetence?” 😆

Dominic Raines (Dr. Marcel) really brought the goods in the scene in which he was telling the patient about his daughter. 😥 Oh, and he is one fine looking man!

April should be on her hands and knees thanking Ethan for just firing her idiot brother.

I’m glad she did, but how could Ms. Goodwin approve the liver transplant if only a relative could. I was wondering about getting a court order.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I’m glad she did, but how could Ms. Goodwin approve the liver transplant if only a relative could. I was wondering about getting a court order

Didn't they mention that a court order would take too long. Immediacy was the overriding factor and Goodwin went out on the proverbial limb by signing off on the emergency surgery.

And, yes Dr. Abrams responses were golden.

How did Dr. Charles' daughter get unpregnant??

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, preeya said:

How did Dr. Charles' daughter get unpregnant??

Dr. Manning said that it was a chemical pregnancy (I had never heard of such a thing and so I googled it).  It's different from a regular miscarriage because it happens very soon after someone gets pregnant (apparently, from what I read a lot of women just assume they are having a heavier period than usual and never even know that they were pregnant).

That liver transplant sure happened fast.  We never even saw the donor (someone from upstairs in another department?).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

That liver transplant sure happened fast.  We never even saw the donor (someone from upstairs in another department?).

I was confused because people with amyloidosis GET liver transplants; they don't generally GIVE them. Having someone with amyloidosis give up a chunk of an organ is potentially cutting years off their life - they generally have a life expectancy of 10 years on the far side once diagnosed and one of those years should be spent trying to regrow their liver to full size? In someone with a disease that attacks the organs? Nice how they only gave a shit about whether it might not be an optimal organ for Augie.

ETA The fact that we can detect pregnancy that early is probably causing a lot more grief over "miscarriages" that would normally not even be noticed. SO MANY fertilizations don't make it out of the gate and get flushed. It's totally normal.

Edited by CoyoteBlue
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Dr Abrams was the best part of the episode. Please continue to give us scenes with him but do not screw up his character.

it was atypical for this show to bring back a patient after they leave, so kind of nice to repeat with the kidnapping victim. 

One thing these shows do really well is consistently have patients recover from surgery instantly. I've been in recovering with my child multiple times and they are no where near that alert and chill despite doing really well. 

I see that Dr. Marcel lives in the same apartment that Kovac and others lived in during ER's run. Does Chicago have a chronic lighting shortage? why are the apartments so dark?

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

In this episode of Incompetence Hospital:

How can it be a DCS rule that only a family member can sign off on the surgery when they have so many children who have been abandoned or orphaned in their care? There has to be a back-up plan somewhere. But even if there isn't, why couldn't those hospital lawyers take the case to court and have a judge appoint a temporary guardian to make the decision? There has to be a way to have the case heard in an emergency.

Abrams was right, no one diagnosing the cause of the severe pain was incompetence. I don't see that Choi did anything special in referring a man with massive headaches to a neurologist.

Speaking of Choi, what is it with him refusing to let Halstead take an hour off during his shift? ED doctors work on flexible shifts, if Halstead knew about the zoom meeting ahead of time and booked the time off and cleared his patients for it, Choi should just shut up.

Natalie, instead of putting the woman on a psych hold and forcing her to have the surgery, how about referring her a psychiatrist? Crockett's sob story should have made no difference if what she was afraid of was the pain of the treatment. (I have friends who have gone through cancer treatment and they say that if they it again, they will refuse treatment.)

• Love 2

I can't stand April, but she's right about Choi. He is truly his own worst enemy.  If Will cleared his schedule in advance, so I don't understand why Choi had his "I'm in charge" tantrum.  

Can the rest of us get that miracle water they serve at Chicago Med? Auggie recovered within 5 minutes of his liver transplant surgery. 

Dominic Rains is one of the best actors on this show. The emotion he conveyed while Crockett was talking to the patient about his dead daughter,  was spot on. 

Edited by spunky
Typo
  • Love 6
On 2/14/2021 at 12:33 PM, statsgirl said:

Natalie, instead of putting the woman on a psych hold and forcing her to have the surgery, how about referring her a psychiatrist? Crockett's sob story should have made no difference if what she was afraid of was the pain of the treatment. (I have friends who have gone through cancer treatment and they say that if they it again, they will refuse treatment.)

I literally rolled my eyes when Natalie considered putting the woman on the psych hold. Once again, Nataloon thinking she knows best. If the patient wants to die on their own terms, that is their choice. Just because she disagrees with them doesn't give her the right to take the choice away from the patient. It seems like honoring patients' wishes is a foreign concept to these doctors. Every other episode, they're trying to find a way to coerce or force a patient to change their mind. It's been wearing thin for while now.

• Love 3
On 2/15/2021 at 1:05 PM, spunky said:

I can't stand April, but she's right about Choi. He is truly his own worst enemy.  If Will cleared his schedule in advance, so I don't understand why Choi had his "I'm in charge" tantrum.  

Like, are we supposed to think that out of all the ED staff, NOBODY ever takes a sick or personal day?? It was just an hour, Choi...what does the ED do when Will gets a dinner break? Goes to the bathroom or for a coffee?

• Love 1
On 3/19/2021 at 8:08 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Like, are we supposed to think that out of all the ED staff, NOBODY ever takes a sick or personal day?? It was just an hour, Choi...what does the ED do when Will gets a dinner break? Goes to the bathroom or for a coffee?

Apparently none of that is allowed under Choi's dictatorship.