Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: In Your Care

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The team investigates a rash of car jackings and finds the truth is more complicated than they realize. Burgess makes a discovery about a previous case that will change her life forever.

Airdate: 02/03/2021

So... Burgess is going to get away with everything she just did, because she helped some kids?  Ugh, no.  This episode was pretty awful.  I'm also sick of the disproportionate amount of episodes that focus on her.  Let's give Jay a story that doesn't involve Hailey, or Voight a story.  Let's move on from Burgess.

That little girl is cute, but I feel even worse for her now.

• Love 3

I actually enjoy this show much more when it focuses on Ruzek and Burgess these days which surprises me because I never really liked Burgess before, heh. 

The little girl is cute and it was nice seeing her again. It'll be interesting to see how Burgess handles being a foster mom. 

I also really enjoyed the Atwater and Burgess scenes. I wish this show would do a better job remembering they used to be BFFs and focus on that more but I'll take whatever scraps I can get. 

• Love 7

Always be wary if a show starts with #Burzek in any way happy.....by the end you can be sure they'll be kicked around again. it's getting really old. I knew it was too good to be true. No way this show would have two couples at once & we've got to endure Felony Barbie & Blandstead so let's manufacturer drama between Burzek for the 300th time. 🙄

So what happens to Louie  Makayla when Kim gets called out to a crime scene? Or works 10-12 days or comes home beaten and bloodied? Who looks after the kid when she's at work. The child is traumatised & we are just going to ignore all that & play happy families. Not to mention the social worker was right....she's a cop in a dangerous squad, white & single...yet let's just give you a foster kid on a whim...okay. If this is not just a rehash of Dawson & Louie on Fire then I don't know what is.

Ruzek was right, she is trying to replace what they lost without dealing with it, & she hasn't thought it through yet she expects everyone to just jump for joy when she announces that she's taking the kid in. Another dumb half-assed rehashed storyline that wasn't good when it happened on Fire, what makes Eid think it's good here.

They could also try and break the mould of constantly finding reasons to keep couples apart and have them deal with major story together. It could have been interesting to see them take this on together, but no, same old shit once again.

It was nice of them to remember that Atwater raised his siblings and was friends with Burgess, so that was a positive but he was just there to blow sunshine up her ass, whereas Ruzek was there to kick her because he could see the potholes and rightly pointed them out. 

Same shit, different season.

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Guildford said:

So what happens to Louie  Makayla when Kim gets called out to a crime scene? Or works 10-12 days or comes home beaten and bloodied? Who looks after the kid when she's at work. The child is traumatised & we are just going to ignore all that & play happy families. ...

This was exactly my first thought when I saw the preview last week.  The little girl is going to be scarred for life already, and this has the potential to make it even worse.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

This was exactly my first thought when I saw the preview last week.  The little girl is going to be scarred for life already, and this has the potential to make it even worse.

Right...I mean we all saw this coming a mile off, but I didn't think it would be this bad. In one day she's decided to foster a kid, and DCFS is sure, okay, here you go like they are handing out candy at Halloween. Did she even check with Voight about not being available? Are the other's expected to pick up the load when she has to do the school run? 

She didn't even know how to buckle a kid into a car seat? Ruzek is right to be concerned. Come on, who thought up this half assed story. It wasn't a good story on Fire, Eid has somehow managed to take a shitty storyline & make it worse...that takes some skill.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Guildford said:

Right...I mean we all saw this coming a mile off, but I didn't think it would be this bad. In one day she's decided to foster a kid, and DCFS is sure, okay, here you go like they are handing out candy at Halloween. Did she even check with Voight about not being available? Are the other's expected to pick up the load when she has to do the school run? 

She didn't even know how to buckle a kid into a car seat? Ruzek is right to be concerned. Come on, who thought up this half assed story. It wasn't a good story on Fire, Eid has somehow managed to take a shitty storyline & make it worse...that takes some skill.

Yes to all of this.

No one, police officer or not, gets a foster child like that.  There are studies, home visits, psychological exams, etc.  What. an. awful. storyline.  Although, in the tradition of the show, that is one cute child actress.  I usually like all the poor traumatized children they've cast over the years (although most of the others get a few lines, LOL). 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, jalady said:

No one, police officer or not, gets a foster child like that.  There are studies, home visits, psychological exams, etc.  What. an. awful. storyline.  Although, in the tradition of the show, that is one cute child actress.  I usually like all the poor traumatized children they've cast over the years (although most of the others get a few lines, LOL). 

This ↑.  

I was late to the party, but tell me how Burgess drives a late model Mercedes.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, preeya said:

This ↑.  

Oh yes, this too!!  I noticed this too and forgot to mention it.  I mean... that's an $80,000+ car?  I don't recall her family history, maybe it's Daddy's money.

• Love 2

The social worker told no lies when she outlined all the reasons why Kim should not foster Mikaela. She's a single, white, cop trying to foster a black child.  No agency in this world would just hand over a child without conducting home visits and background checks.  Plus this is a rinse and repeat of the Dawson/Casey/Louie storyline.  

• Love 5

All storylines are not created equal fundamentally, and Kevin's family history is 1000x better developed and portrayed than Upton's, but every time Kevin talks about his family, it works.  Like in this episode.  And when Upton does, it's like moving chess pieces around where the writers decided they want them.  I hear the words and register "this is information," but Upton's story does nothing for me.

You guys have covered it all with the nonsense of Burgess the immediate foster mom.  A lot of parents learn by doing, but Burgess doesn't know anything, has no ramp-up time, and the authorities just gave her a kid.  She has zero infrastructure set up to have a kid day after day.  I think she has some family in the area (I don't remember/know if her sister moved elsewhere after the horrible rape storyline, or what her mental state is currently), but she obviously hasn't worked out with anyone who can help with driving Mikayla around, being at the apartment when Kim is working, especially at night/overnight, nothing.  Is Kim in a one-bedroom apartment?  Is Mikayla going to sleep in her bed with her?  Is Kim going to sleep on the couch by Ruzek's wine stain that Kim reacted to like it would haunt her for the rest of her life?  Is Kim going to replace her bed with bunk beds and let Mikayla get first dibs on which bunk?

And whoa.  I physically cringed when Kim said to Mikayla that they could be like a family.  Lady!  This isn't permanent yet!  You don't know if it will be, on your end and DCFS' end!  Don't tell a traumatized girl who lost her whole bio family that the new insta-foster mom is going to be her new family!

I never really say anything nice about the Chicago franchise anymore, so here's my crumbs for this winter.  Halstead looks good running.  Not everyone does (Lauren German is kind of a goofy runner, or at least she was on Hawaii Five-0), but he looks good.

• Love 3
On 2/4/2021 at 12:54 PM, jalady said:

And sadly enough, this isn't the first time in the One Chicago universe that this has happened. On Chicago Fire, when Gabby was able to adopt Louie, the same criteria was not met. But these writers seem to not want to learn. 

• Love 1
On 2/4/2021 at 10:10 PM, preeya said:

This ↑.  

I was wondering the same thing. Last season, when she showed up at the hotel and lost her baby saving that girl, she was driving a Toyota Corolla. And now she's driving an $80,000 Mercedes? Where'd she come into that kind of money? Nobody else on the team, not even Voight, drives a high-end car like that.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

I was wondering the same thing. Last season, when she showed up at the hotel and lost her baby saving that girl, she was driving a Toyota Corolla. And now she's driving an $80,000 Mercedes? Where'd she come into that kind of money? Nobody else on the team, not even Voight, drives a high-end car like that.

Is she secretly dating one of the doctors from Chicago Med and she borrowed his car?  But, I don't think we've seen even them drive a car like that.  What's his face who left Chicago Med a few years ago was trust-fund-baby rich, so maybe he gave it to her when he left. 🤣 I don't know much about cars so I'm not sure which model that is, but it could actually be closer to six figures.  Illogical.  I mean, good for her... but illogical. 

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Is she secretly dating one of the doctors from Chicago Med and she borrowed his car?  But, I don't think we've seen even them drive a car like that.  What's his face who left Chicago Med a few years ago was trust-fund-baby rich, so maybe he gave it to her when he left. 🤣 I don't know much about cars so I'm not sure which model that is, but it could actually be closer to six figures.  Illogical.  I mean, good for her... but illogical. 

I think it points more to the fact the Eid just DGAF about this show. I mean some of the 'homes' these detectives live in are ridiculous as well & yes now Kim's car. This whole show is a mess, the writing, the plots, the background details, the obsession with one character. It's quickly veering into Med level of stupidity.

• Love 3
On 2/9/2021 at 2:55 AM, sweetandsour said:

All storylines are not created equal fundamentally, and Kevin's family history is 1000x better developed and portrayed than Upton's, but every time Kevin talks about his family, it works.  Like in this episode.  And when Upton does, it's like moving chess pieces around where the writers decided they want them.  I hear the words and register "this is information," but Upton's story does nothing for me.

You guys have covered it all with the nonsense of Burgess the immediate foster mom.  A lot of parents learn by doing, but Burgess doesn't know anything, has no ramp-up time, and the authorities just gave her a kid.  She has zero infrastructure set up to have a kid day after day.  I think she has some family in the area (I don't remember/know if her sister moved elsewhere after the horrible rape storyline, or what her mental state is currently), but she obviously hasn't worked out with anyone who can help with driving Mikayla around, being at the apartment when Kim is working, especially at night/overnight, nothing.  Is Kim in a one-bedroom apartment?  Is Mikayla going to sleep in her bed with her?  Is Kim going to sleep on the couch by Ruzek's wine stain that Kim reacted to like it would haunt her for the rest of her life?  Is Kim going to replace her bed with bunk beds and let Mikayla get first dibs on which bunk?

And whoa.  I physically cringed when Kim said to Mikayla that they could be like a family.  Lady!  This isn't permanent yet!  You don't know if it will be, on your end and DCFS' end!  Don't tell a traumatized girl who lost her whole bio family that the new insta-foster mom is going to be her new family!

I never really say anything nice about the Chicago franchise anymore, so here's my crumbs for this winter.  Halstead looks good running.  Not everyone does (Lauren German is kind of a goofy runner, or at least she was on Hawaii Five-0), but he looks good.

I think Burgess had a small apartment when she and Ruzek were first together, but then when her sister and niece were staying with her, her house was big enough for the niece to have a bedroom of her own with her name on the door. So if she's still living there, she has plenty of room! I thought it was silly that the niece was never mentioned; surely Burgess had some child-caring experience looking after her while her sister was recovering from being attacked?  I'm guessing that they can say the sister is helping out with Michaela whenever it's convenient for the plot.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, catsitter said:

I think Burgess had a small apartment when she and Ruzek were first together, but then when her sister and niece were staying with her, her house was big enough for the niece to have a bedroom of her own with her name on the door. So if she's still living there, she has plenty of room! I thought it was silly that the niece was never mentioned; surely Burgess had some child-caring experience looking after her while her sister was recovering from being attacked?  I'm guessing that they can say the sister is helping out with Michaela whenever it's convenient for the plot.

Yet at the start of this episode & last year when Ruzek showed up at her door she is back in a small apartment again. Lack of continuity in this show is frustrating but this is a minor quibble compared to all the other plot holes and poorly executed stories they tell.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Guildford said:

Yet at the start of this episode & last year when Ruzek showed up at her door she is back in a small apartment again. Lack of continuity in this show is frustrating but this is a minor quibble compared to all the other plot holes and poorly executed stories they tell.

Same for Upton - she had a really nice row house/townhouse/condo when she first started and shared it with that other woman, and when Ruzek would come over.  Now when we saw Jay go over, it's a small apartment that looks like they just remodeled the set used for Erin's apartment.  They all must have had their salaries cut or something... Next thing we'll see is that Atwater and Voight no longer have their houses, but will also be living in small apartments...

• Love 2
On 2/4/2021 at 1:54 PM, jalady said:

No one, police officer or not, gets a foster child like that.  There are studies, home visits, psychological exams, etc.  What. an. awful. storyline. 

Let's not forget Med - Maggie and Ben, both just recovering from serious cancer complications AND just newly married, got to take Augie without any problems. For one thing, there's generally a requirement for married couples where they have to have already been married a couple years or so - because of course many foster kids have serious emotional issues and even under the best of circumstances, introducing a new member of your household takes adjustment, so at the very least they want to know that the relationship between the foster parents is somewhat solid. Then of course, both of them just had serious health issues. As we know with cancer, there is no "cure"; just because you're in remission now doesn't mean that will be the case six months or a year from now. Maybe social services would make some exceptions if Augie were an actual blood relative of either Maggie or Ben, but considering they aren't, I highly doubt they could have fostered at this time in their lives.

Apparently the same social worker who approved them approved Kim for Makayla. 😀

• Love 1