Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Think Inside the Box

• Start Topic

TBH working with colours I don't like throws me off big time.

Loved Nao's candelabra but the cups were a bit big. Shame they still don't show the artists preparing the pieces for presentation - so we didn't see Ben cutting that massive glas bulb to form the lid on his cake stand and messing up the edge.

Chris' attitude is grating on me, but his cup looked good.

Cat's bowls looked great, the colours go well together. The colours on Andi's plate are a bit much for me, but the design is nice. Love the design of Brad's pitcher, but that handle won't work on a full one. His explanation that you need two hands and appreciate the artwork - bla bla - nobody want't a clear pitcher covered in fingerprints at the table.

Jason's was a bit wonky.

I loathed Elliot's when he drew and explained his vision and when he was asked about it during judging. It was well constructed.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I don’t care for Chris either. He is talented but the ego, ugh. I hated the sippy cup lid, but the rest of the goblet was lovely.

The cookie jar was so pretty. The colors on the platter were garish and I would have like to have seen the same design in colors the artist preferred.

Edited by Michichick
Sippy, not zippy
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Glass-wise so far Cat is my favorite.  I also like Brad and Jason in some elements, but their overall pieces don't knock it out of the park.  Personality-wise I think Jason is my favorite.  Chris seems to be very technically skilled, but his pieces haven't called out to me and he is abrasive.  I just bought myself a vase from Cat as a birthday present.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I found it interesting that the show gave the contestants so many constraints in this challenge. Being assigned a specific item AND three colors could really restrict some people's creativity.

Elliott's sugar is the new smoking glass was a great concept. I liked the little candy in the base of the glass and the cigarette sitting on top.

I enjoyed Andi's colorful dishes. They were very smooth and shiny, and they looked totally usable.

Ben's cake plate was a pretty concept. I liked the clouds in the clear glass of the cover.

Mike's vase was not my favorite. Katherine was already skeptical about his concept due to the red, blue, and yellow colors he had been given and he paid no heed. I'm okay with non-natural colored things but the judges were right when they said that the tree itself wasn't made very well. To me, it didn't really look like a gold mountain as he wanted it to. It just looked like a gold vase with a weird blue and red mushroom growing out of one side. I agreed with the guest judge about the texture of yellow mountain though.

Brad's pitcher was so lovely. I liked the way he had dark glass at the top and it transitioned to a lighter smoke color at the bottom. I also liked the stand. Everything was so smooth that I wanted to touch it. But that tiny handle was RIDICULOUS. There's no way that handle was in any way functional. Ha, he did at least come up with a bull shit excuse to justify it, but it just didn't work for me.

I enjoyed Nao's candelabra. I know it wasn't perfect, but I really liked those dark red candleholders in front of the vivid blue background.

I liked Cat's nesting bowls. I wasn't sure what she would do with the colors she was assigned but I really liked the way she used the soft minty color with the bold stripes on top. I enjoy her on my tv, but she must be A LOT to deal with in real life. Just the singing and the other random noises she makes would drive me crazy (and that's coming from someone who used to be in choir).

I did not like Chris' sippy cup goblet. The handles were so thin that I thought they would be useless in terms of function.

Jason's cookie jar was simple but pretty. I loved the delicate handle on top combined with the pastel candy colors.

I knew Chris would win because Katherine was so in love with the sippy top, but ugh, listening to him crow about how he will probably win a few more challenges did not endear him to me.

Bon voyage, Ben! He had a nice attitude so I was as little sad to see him go.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I usually like artistic statements but neither Elliot or Chris's pieces worked for me.  

Maybe it's because the challenge was about useful objects and I want to see in the pieces something I'd use. That's why I loved the bowls and the platters the most.

The mountain vase was garish, though.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 1/23/2021 at 5:41 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Mike's vase was not my favorite. Katherine was already skeptical about his concept due to the red, blue, and yellow colors he had been given and he paid no heed. I'm okay with non-natural colored things but the judges were right when they said that the tree itself wasn't made very well. To me, it didn't really look like a gold mountain as he wanted it to. It just looked like a gold vase with a weird blue and red mushroom growing out of one side. I agreed with the guest judge about the texture of yellow mountain though.

Would it have been breaking the rules to combine the blue and yellow to make green? Or does glass not combine in the same way that paint would? I didn't like the yellow mountain vase. The yellow was not a good color. 

I like Jason a lot. I also liked Ben. I do not like Chris. 

• Love 1

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously but isn't this the second week in a row the guest judge has been one of Chris' former students?  That's a real conflict that I don't think is fair to the other contestants.  Or, really, to Chris, even though I don't like his attitude very much.  (Witness his joke about how he should have given a better grade.)  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, truther said:

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously but isn't this the second week in a row the guest judge has been one of Chris' former students?  That's a real conflict that I don't think is fair to the other contestants.  Or, really, to Chris, even though I don't like his attitude very much.  (Witness his joke about how he should have given a better grade.)  

I did wonder how impartial his students would be at evaluating him and hoped that Katherine would be less likely to feel the need to compliment his work (or at least not be afraid to be critical of his pieces).

• Love 1

Elliot is my favorite glassblower so far. Chris irritates me and I haven’t like any of his designs. I thought the mountain with the tree stuck out should have gone home but I can see why they sent Mike home because his design last week was kind of week overall. 
So glad we have a second season. I have a newfound appreciation and respect for this art form and would love to own a piece myself. 

• Love 2