Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Kary'd Away

• Start Topic

I really dislike how Travis talks about Stephanie's charity and giving away the money he earns. If you want a stay at home wife, then don't be an asshole when she spends your money because she can't earn any herself. I love Stephanie and I hate how he sometimes doesn't seem to appreciate her. She needs meaning in her life, be supportive of her charity! 

I can't stand the way Tiffany talks. She speaks so slow when she's talking about how she bought her Mum a Porsche. Does she think the viewers are stupid or does she want to emphasise how she bought her an expensive car. I'm so tired of her.

• Love 10
On 1/21/2021 at 1:29 PM, Jel said:

You're American, right?  Would you agree that hot dogs are kind of quintessentially American? (Or hamburgers? Or apple pie? ) Is it accurate to say that eating hot dogs is participating American culture, and a refusal to do so is a refusal to participate in American culture?

Not to put too fine a point on it but none of the three foods mentioned are quintessentially American.  Regardless, I'll try most things and have eaten haggis, escargot, frogs legs, etc., and would try chicken feet.  Yesterday I was watching an old episode of Iron Chef America and AG served chicken feet in broth and the judges all loved it.  

I believe Kam was the poor sport and a bad hostess; so much for making the guests feel welcomed (can't have it both ways, Kam).  But I find Kam ridiculous (caught her on WWHL) and quite ignorant.  Plus she has knock-knees and I can't ever forget that.

• Love 4

This practicing doctor and self proclaimed scientist Tiffany going to the public grocery store and wearing only face shields with her kids (kids had masks on, IN the car).. just a terribly risky and bad example of stupidity for a doctor. 

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, albarino said:

Not to put too fine a point on it but none of the three foods mentioned are quintessentially American.  Regardless, I'll try most things and have eaten haggis, escargot, frogs legs, etc., and would try chicken feet.  Yesterday I was watching an old episode of Iron Chef America and AG served chicken feet in broth and the judges all loved it.  

I believe Kam was the poor sport and a bad hostess; so much for making the guests feel welcomed (can't have it both ways, Kam).  But I find Kam ridiculous (caught her on WWHL) and quite ignorant.  Plus she has knock-knees and I can't ever forget that.

Okay, sub in any American food that you think would serve as a better example: the point is the same.

I don't think anyone disagrees that many people like to eat chicken feet, that's an objective fact. They are apparently eaten in many countries. And some people are indeed more open to trying different foods and some people are not. There are evolutionary reasons, advantages and disadvantages, that explain both an adventurous eater and a picky one.  (Extremely Tiny Nutshell: Too adventurous = die from eating poisonous plants, animals, insects. Not adventurous enough = die from starvation.)

Imo, (and Kam's apparently) Kam's refusal to eat chicken feet was simply a reflection of her unadventurous palate. She might be a xenophobe, I don't know, but refusing to eat chicken feet is not sufficient proof of that claim. (Just saying, not saying you are making that claim) Does she reject all Chinese food because "it's Chinese"? I don't think so. 

On her manners, she agrees with you and Tweeted that she was rude and should have dropped it.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, albarino said:

You're American, right?  Would you agree that hot dogs are kind of quintessentially American? (Or hamburgers? Or apple pie? ) Is it accurate to say that eating hot dogs is participating American culture, and a refusal to do so is a refusal to participate in Ameri

9 hours ago, Jel said:

Okay, sub in any American food that you think would serve as a better example: the point is the same.

I'm not sure I understand your point.  You're a guest at somebody's home and they serve you food you don't like.  You're polite; you cut up a few bites and perhaps eat a few of them.  No faces, no sneers, move the conversation along and there you go.  Kam was rude but she is uncultured; doesn't matter the fool she married.  She went to St Tropez and had escargot?!?  Snort.  She is a fool.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, albarino said:

I'm not sure I understand your point.  You're a guest at somebody's home and they serve you food you don't like.  You're polite; you cut up a few bites and perhaps eat a few of them.  No faces, no sneers, move the conversation along and there you go.  Kam was rude but she is uncultured; doesn't matter the fool she married.  She went to St Tropez and had escargot?!?  Snort.  She is a fool.

On 1/24/2021 at 10:32 AM, albarino said:

There's a saying "as American as apple pie and baseball." I think that's what the OP meant. Some foods are popular here. 

It would've been all right if Kameron had made her point and moved on, but she repeated herself and made it into too big of a deal. She should've stayed away from the cultural argument and just said she didn't like being pressured to eat something. 

I've also noticed Tiffany's exaggerated way of speaking. It's annoying and reminds me of people speaking to small children. I think in some of the stories about her mother she's trying to be funny. Not sure she's succeeding. She seems to have some resentment for her mother and is kind of cloaking it with jokes. It sounds like she felt really pressured by her mother and hasn't come to terms with it  yet. 

Kary isn't one of my favorite HWs. She did look really good in the photo shoot! 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 3
On 1/24/2021 at 9:25 PM, albarino said:

Nope...Tiffany was trying to make her.  If I have someone at my house I am not forcing them or making them feel uncomfortable for not trying something. That is where things started off on the wrong foot.  No pun intended...

• Love 7

I believe Kam was the poor sport and a bad hostess; so much for making the guests feel welcomed (can't have it both ways, Kam).

Word especially bringing it up at Kary's Birthday. Girl shut the fuck up about lack of centerpiece when you are out here performing a grudge over a chicken foot. I think she was rude guest at Dim Sum, and I do think she is xenophobic, as she was supes excited by the idea of eating American Chinese food but made gag faces when she found out Dim Sum is Chinese Chinese food, aka chicken feet ect. I think Tiffany, to be a good hostess, should have been less insistent with Kam, but she's walking into situation with a group of ladies who had one friend bounced for racism and another who did a slanty eyed joke video. She explained that to know her is to share in her culture, so to immediately have this baby assed white women refuse to even TRY a chicken foot was I think legitimately hurtful and yes annoying to her. 

I'm really really enjoying the lack of Leanne and the addition of Tiffany and I love all of her stuff with her mom, it reminded me of Lady Bird from a few years ago when she complains that she wants to resent her mother in a "regular" way. I think Tiff seems to have a fairly typical mixture of love, respect and resentment of her mom. LOL.

Guys like Travis are so weird to me, he met and fell for Stephanie as working woman, and one who was in a really altruistic job, and then he wanted her to stop being that woman? WTF dude. Last season I thought he seemed reasonably cool in Thailand, so this sort of 50's boorishness feels incongruous. 

I know Kary is kind of an asshole, but I kind of like her anyway especially her catch phrase, gonna start using it myself. Calling everything/everyone a situation is so delightfully shady.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, blixie said:

Word especially bringing it up at Kary's Birthday. Girl shut the fuck up about lack of centerpiece when you are out here performing a grudge over a chicken foot. I think she was rude guest at Dim Sum, and I do think she is xenophobic, as she was supes excited by the idea of eating American Chinese food but made gag faces when she found out Dim Sum is Chinese Chinese food, aka chicken feet ect. I think Tiffany, to be a good hostess, should have been less insistent with Kam, but she's walking into situation with a group of ladies who had one friend bounced for racism and another who did a slanty eyed joke video. She explained that to know her is to share in her culture, so to immediately have this baby assed white women refuse to even TRY a chicken foot was I think legitimately hurtful and yes annoying to her. d of like her anyway especially her catch phrase, gonna start using it myself. Calling everything/everyone a situation is so delightfully shady.

I think she really just didn't want to have to eat something that scared her.  I'm involved in a local program that works with international college students and looks for holiday hosts, so I had 2 Chinese girls for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and in return they wanted to treat me to Chinese food.  I'll admit I was kind of terrified, more relieved when they took me to a restaurant (where everyone but me was Chinese and speaking Chinese!) and most relieved when they asked me what sort of things I liked/didn't like and then made suggestions of different things for me to try - they ordered about 6 dishes and we shared them all.  They were good hostesses, and I tried some things that I liked and some things that I didn't.  (I actually didn't notice chicken feet on the menu until after they had ordered and was so thankful they hadn't been ordered 😄 ). Tiffany had ordered a lot of different dishes for them to share in her culture; I suspect she knows a chicken foot is what we would think the grossest and scariest and that's why she chose it to insist upon!  But I agree with you that Kam should have let it go.

• Love 4

I think she really just didn't want to have to eat something that scared her.  

She showed out on WWHL by comparing Tiffany to the Thai Ping Pong girls. I'm sure that's just about their personalities and not their ethnicities. Just as the chicken feet were about the food and not about disrespecting her host and her host's culture.

Listen I enjoy Kam for the most part she's ridiculous in mostly the best ways, but this is bad bad bad look, I don't see the point in defending it. I'd reiterate what others said Tiffany gave a big speech about how her culture was a part of HER identity and so when you tell your host, who just told you chicken feet are part of her identity, and you are like gross, you are essentially saying fuck you your gross. Do you know how many times I choked down frozen lima beans boiled for 300 hours at a friends house because I was raised right. Did I then hide the rest in a napkin and go to the bathroom yes, which Kam should have done from the start and just told Tiff what she wanted to hear. 

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, blixie said:

She showed out on WWHL by comparing Tiffany to the Thai Ping Pong girls. I'm sure that's just about their personalities and not their ethnicities. Just as the chicken feet were about the food and not about disrespecting her host and her host's culture.

Listen I enjoy Kam for the most part she's ridiculous in mostly the best ways, but this is bad bad bad look, I don't see the point in defending it. I'd reiterate what others said Tiffany gave a big speech about how her culture was a part of HER identity and so when you tell your host, who just told you chicken feet are part of her identity, and you are like gross, you are essentially saying fuck you your gross. Do you know how many times I choked down frozen lima beans boiled for 300 hours at a friends house because I was raised right. Did I then hide the rest in a napkin and go to the bathroom yes, which Kam should have done from the start and just told Tiff what she wanted to hear. 

Well I don't watch WWHL and have always hated Kam anyway for her little girl/baby talk act.  But I will continue to defend not being forced to eat gross animal parts forever! 😄 

• Love 7

I'm just tired of everyone accusing people of being racist, xenophobic, etc.  I want people to be normal again.  I used to like people and more and more I'm starting to not like people.  Half of the folks accusing others aren't followed around all day by cameras, and I'm sure are perfect humans 🙄

• Love 9
4 hours ago, klh25 said:

I'm just tired of everyone accusing people of being racist, xenophobic, etc.  I want people to be normal again.  I used to like people and more and more I'm starting to not like people.  Half of the folks accusing others aren't followed around all day by cameras, and I'm sure are perfect humans 🙄

I'm one of those antiracists, but I also don't care for bullying. I've gotten exhausted this last year too. I'm sure sometimes I get on one side's nerves, and then I get on another side's nerves. lol I had a long post about the racial stuff but removed it because I like the boards for silly TV snark, not what feels like a political debate. I agree that most people aren't perfect. I've never had any issue with any group of people in my life,  but I grew up around diversity. And how many people can say their entire family and friends group is super woke and PC? If I notice someone has a pattern of being nasty, it's fair to call them racist/xenophobic/whatever it is, but I don't believe in canceling people over one bad joke and whatnot. Ignorant people aren't necessarily evil. 

As for the WWHL, I recorded it but haven't watched yet. 

• Love 5

I'm a bit behind watching this -- the housewives shows have one by one become mostly unwatchable for me. I have my fingers crossed for Dallas this season 'cause it's one of only 2 left on our DVR. 

I'm glad to see the addition of Tiffany. I have a lifelong interest /appreciation of Asian cultures in general beginning in childhood with my Great Grandmothers' stories of her travels there in the early 1900's.  I spent a year in mainland China in the mid '80's and had some of the most delicious food ever in my life!

However I had taken the precaution of letting the Chinese friend I was traveling with know I wanted to avoid certain things at all costs! Such as bear, monkey, rodent, feline, canine most particularly. And canine was pretty ubiquitous in the colder weather. Saw people heading home to prepare dinner featuring the currently still alive puppy they were carrying in a mesh bag. Very hard for me to deal with emotionally and it was absolutely not my place to react negatively to what was the normal day to day life and culture of the country I was a guest in. And I was at that time one of only 20 foreigners to visit that area of the country since the end of the Cultural Revolution. I was treated extremely well (and with much curiosity) everywhere we went and we were constantly being taken to multi course dinners where our hosts delighted in showing off abundant variety and skill of the chefs. No one ever pushed any item I'd told my friend I needed to avoid. The most surprising dish was what I took to be noodles in deep brown sauce. Turned out to be freshwater eels... And absolutely one of the most delicious dishes I'd ever eaten anywhere!  

I wasn't presented the opportunity of chicken feet and wouldn't have been able to eat them any more than Cameron was. And I would've refused with a smile/ a joke (translated by my friend) and moved along to enthusiastically dig in to a different platter. No one would have pushed them on me nor taken offense that I hadn't eaten that particular thing. Most people do understand not liking certain foods as most people have likes and dislikes.

So I think Tiffany was not so much celebrating "her culture" with the chicken feet as baiting the Dallas gals. Kinda aggressive with a spritz of (perhaps unconscious) hostility. And Cameron was neither deft nor subtle in the way she handled the whole thing. She may be as ditzy as she appears- I don't know--- but I do not think she's really dumb at all and I'd make a serious bet she was raised to know exactly the graceful thing to have done in that situation.

If it were not a Housewives show she would've let it go. As it is she and Tiffany needed to establish boundaries and storylines.

This show is a lot lighter in tone without LeAnn. She has too much tragic disfunction for one woman / show.

I find Kary very abrasive, exhausting, and inauthentic. Also don't think her daughter needs to be on the show. She has her moms distinctive lower lip & the crease below it. She's  pretty & seems depressed. I missed it if her age was mentioned. Is she still in her teens or is she in the early 20s?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, BlueHawk said:

I find Kary very abrasive, exhausting, and inauthentic. Also don't think her daughter needs to be on the show. She has her moms distinctive lower lip & the crease below it. She's  pretty & seems depressed. I missed it if her age was mentioned. Is she still in her teens or is she in the early 20s?

I think she's 20.

Thanks😊It's better than her being 16, I guess... I get concerned for the kids around these shows. I'm no fan of social media (I barely have email, miss my answering machine and old style phone w the 15 ft. cord😕) I've seen it do a lot of damage to tender and still growing beings. Seems like an unnecessary risk exposure when they already must deal with whatever the mothers generate...😕

Edited by BlueHawk
Intended to delete emoji but it will not delete!?! Retribution for luddite tendencies?
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm one of those antiracists, but I also don't care for bullying. I've gotten exhausted this last year too. I'm sure sometimes I get on one side's nerves, and then I get on another side's nerves. lol I had a long post about the racial stuff but removed it because I like the boards for silly TV snark, not what feels like a political debate. I agree that most people aren't perfect. I've never had any issue with any group of people in my life,  but I grew up around diversity. And how many people can say their entire family and friends group is super woke and PC? If I notice someone has a pattern of being nasty, it's fair to call them racist/xenophobic/whatever it is, but I don't believe in canceling people over one bad joke and whatnot. Ignorant people aren't necessarily evil. 

As for the WWHL, I recorded it but haven't watched yet. 

Very well put.  I guess to be frank I am exhausted, as I am sure most are.  I want my entertainment to be just that, so many things I have to avoid now because someone wants to send me a "message". 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, BlueHawk said:

Thanks😊It's better than her being 16, I guess... I get concerned for the kids around these shows. I'm no fan of social media (I barely have email, miss my answering machine and old style phone w the 15 ft. cord😕) I've seen it do a lot of damage to tender and still growing beings. Seems like an unnecessary risk exposure when they already must deal with whatever the mothers generate...😕

I agree with everything you have said - just giving a "like" is not enough 😄 

• Love 2