Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Cold Cash For Warm Bread

Baked goods are featured. Included: a mother-and-daughter team from Brooklyn who want to open a quick-serve waffle-cone restaurant in Manhattan; and friends from New Jersey who came up with the idea of an upscale bread company.

I've tried two epis.  Can't get interested.  Once again, my cooking show pet peeve shows up-

Consultant chick comes into the kitchen with her hair/weave hanging all around her shoulders and flying god knows where in the kitchen.

It's just so damn basic, it annoys.

• Love 2

I watched for the first time tonight. Kristine is delusional, yet another person who thinks she can open a restaurant by herself with other people's money. Tim made her a sound offer, as she doesn't know what she's doing and she needs guidance. Seeing Joe not be an asshole was kind of refreshing, for a change.

I might watch again. I think they should have gone with the bread ladies, because their product looked more appealing to me. And to the masses, who doesn't like bread and good pretzels? Plus, I think they could have kept up with the demand better than Kristine and her mom.

• Love 3

I thought the bread (not the pretzel) was overpriced for mass appeal - $6.25 a loaf? Plus, in a low carb era bread doesn't seem that popular. I think tough to make that into a big business unless they pick exactly the right location for the right clientele plus get into supplying restaurants.

The cones though seemed better suited to a stand at a state fair.

• Love 2

I'm liking the show in that it's not one of those feel-good, everybody gets an awesome deal kinda thing.  More like Shark Tank for foodies.

The consultant chick, Wayland is TOUGH.  But that's the only kind of attitude that gets into the thick heads of know-it-alls.  She's obviously told exactly what Tim & Joe want to see and expect, and when she doesn't see it, she lets them know in no uncertain terms. 

I tend to watch these shows most for the food concepts presented.  I like new ideas & combinations.  The bread lady soaked her dates in red wine before baking the loaf.  I like learning about that kind of stuff.   

Joe's personality works well for this, as these folks are already convinced of their commercial success.  He knows what will sell.  I wasn't surprised he bypassed the cone deal.  I don't think it will work and Christine will be stuck selling at street fairs for the rest of her career. 

• Love 1

The cones concept sucked and I couldn't stop imagining tasting Knead's Breads after Joe gushed over them. Love their name, too. Sucks that Joe/Tim/ the show doesn't have a big enough budget for them.

I would never want a sweet cone let alone a savoury one. Soggy and unhealthy. Corn syrup? Ugh. I agreed with Joe that she herself was impressive at conducting herself but she's all bluster, no substance.

I love all the pitch parts of the show. Joe and Tim's comments are totally substantial and, therefore, fully engaging.

• Love 4

So glad to have found this message board for Restaurant Startup!  Particularly in light of this episode. I couldn't get over the idiocy of the girl lying about the use of measuring cups.  If that's the way she performs under the slightest pressure, why would anyone want to go into business with her?  And honestly, what a silly idea.  I guess they were hoping to piggy back off of the cronut success, but that was just stupid.  How do you eat a chicken salad w/o it falling out?  

• Love 2

The waffle cone filled with food was indeed not practical. I could see that from Tim and Joe's first tastings. Why was the daughter so insistent on blue? I find Waylan's nose distracting. It screams "Nose job!" :-D

• Love 1

I was astounded that Tim even made an offer to the Konery. The whole concept doesn't work, especially seeing that the cone falls apart when you eat it.

The bread girl at least had an excellent product.

• Love 1

Are the business owners told they need a partner, or maybe it is "highly recommended" to them? Both came in today with a second person who seemed to not be a true partner, and not add anything to the pitch.

It was clear from the start that the cone idea doesn't work for real food. So what was the point? If they folded them like waffles, maybe it isn't quite so novel, but the idea might actually work. As it stands, I can't see cones being anything besides carnival food, where people don't mind a little mess. No way it would ever be "the next hot dog."

My favorite quote: "This is like a grand slam breakfast in a cone." Hold on there... Joe knows what a Grand Slam is? From Denny's? I don't buy it! A producer must have fed him this line.

"We can only invest in 1 of you." Only for the sake of the format. Can we please do away with this part of the show? Especially when you spoil the conclusion in the opening montage anyway. 

It seems to me as if some of the drama we have seen so far is, er, a little scripted, or at least deliberately setup. Why would she possibly lie about using measuring cups for this little pressure test? She had already admitted that she didn't have exact figures for every ingredient.

It was fun to watch Wayland pick at their cones. She clearly had no interest whatsoever in eating them herself. 

Was their logo an improvement? The name was an improvement, but the logo was no better than what they came in with. And it looks like they didn't stick with it. I'm not impressed with their branding and signage person based on this episode or the last one. (On the other hand, their interior designer is fantastic.)

And my second favorite quote, this one from Tim: "I like how you guys took everything we said and acted upon it." Don't we all love it when we give people money and they do exactly what we ask them to do?

Joe needlessly insulted the woman's age and experience. "Misses 27 year old restaurant lady." She's 27 with 9 years of restaurant experience, and you knew that from the start. She shouldn't have become visibly offended, but he shouldn't have brought it up in the first place. Joe, did you forget that you convinced your parents to invest in your first restaurant at the ripe old age of 25?

I thought the bread (not the pretzel) was overpriced for mass appeal - $6.25 a loaf? Plus, in a low carb era bread doesn't seem that popular. I think tough to make that into a big business unless they pick exactly the right location for the right clientele plus get into supplying restaurants.

The cones though seemed better suited to a stand at a state fair.

That price point is in line with what I see at farmer's markets and what Panera sells their bread for. It is not insignificantly more than the bakery in grocery stores around here. With the gluten-free fad going on right now I wouldn't be surprised if there is a decrease in bread sales, but probably not enough to impact a "startup" like this.