Type keyword(s) to search

The Great North - General Discussion

• Start Topic

In reading too much into this show, these past episodes really show Wolf as immature. He's 30? The sandwich is totally something a teen boy would eat. And the owner of the shop said so when Wolf worked there. You'd think he'd just stop at some point. 

I'm not complaining; they've been consistent that Wolf had issues. 

Recently, they've let Beef hook up and have a gf. 

They did some growth with Wolf and the mother in law. I think they can keep moving that way. 

• Like 3

Boat: Trout's Honor

Wolf's Shirt: Tootie and The Beast

So, the Tobins got trapped in another blizzard, how were they gonna top Code Enough Said Adventure? Definitely a tough act to follow, as I think that was the show's best episode.

Well, this time Beef is perfectly sane, which is why he dressed as a navy captain and made everyone act out commanding a British Royal Navy ship. "Even though Santa bit me and I'm slowly becoming him, much like Timothy Allen." Of course it would eventually end with a Moon Court Martial. Also, we finally know Beef's middle name: Wellington. Could it have been anything else?

I knew Aunt Dirt was gonna show up. I thought she ate the potatoes, but it was Jerry?! Thankfully, Beef was hoarding more of the potatoes. And everyone has lice. All in all, a pretty fun one.

• Like 1

Wow AOL instant messenger, LuckyCharms69. Reaching way back.

I lived in an apartment with a huge kitchen table. We played tons of cards, dominoes, quarters, all that. 

I don't see why Honeybee just drags Wolf back into their cabin. It's right there. Or just go down to stay with with Auntie Dirt. 

I also don't see why Beef wouldn't have supplies and water prepared in the event of a multi day snow event. Making sure there was enough dry wood. Preparing meals, etc., would have been enough to keep them busy. Jerry could have also just left on his own. 

fwiw, I didn't think Beef ate all the chocolate. 

This last batch of episodes is leaning too much into the wacky for me. Beef going out getting drunk is all right because they showing he's trying to get out there and on his feet after Kathleen. Then you got Wolf acting a fool, and now this. It's a little much. They actually have British navy uniforms? 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't see why Honeybee just drags Wolf back into their cabin. It's right there. Or just go down to stay with with Auntie Dirt. 

A blackout would also affect the guest cabin, I'd assume. And the blizzard would make it hard to find Aunt Dirt's bunker.

Also explains why Jerry and Mr. Golovkin didn't just leave at the start.

I meant that it's OOC for Beef to not have been better prepared prior to the white out. I'm familiar with them. They could have easily been in Auntie Dirt's bunker well in advance. This episode was just too wacky for me. 

• Like 1

Its another blizzard with the Tobin's, so of course that means they start going crazy. It always feels weird that the Tobin's aren't more prepared for blizzards, being lifelong Alaskan's and survival enthusiasts, but it does always lead to some fun hijinks.

Nothing screams ''I am so not crazy'' like dressing your whole family in sailor suites and reenacting every mutiny movie ever.

I thought that it would Aunt Dirt who took the potatoes, but it was Jerry all along!

• Like 3
On 4/29/2024 at 12:18 PM, joanne3482 said:

During a white-out a person can die. It is easy to get disoriented because you can't even see 5 feet in front of you. 

Yep, and we even saw the Tobins experience this in S1. Honey and Wolf got lost (and lost track of each other) on their way from the guest house to main house, Beef was high on cough syrup and got lost trying to rescue them, and the kids managed to stay together by tying themselves together with a rope chain... but also lost their way back to the house.

• Like 1

Boat: Chris Helms-Worth

Wolf's Shirt: Toot 66

Alanis in two episodes in a season?! And it explains how Judy had three dates at once: because she was hunk drunk for boys with garbage personalities. I appreciate Honeybee jumping in and helping her out. But her expertise was only limited to TWO dates and not three. Loved the twist that everyone was on multiple dates on once.

I liked the twist that Beef and Captain Fisher didn't like each other because they detested each other's jobs, something right out of Pride and Prejudice. I liked Wolf being the straight man for once. And Wolf is still Wolf when he scooped a snow cone off the ground. ("Couple pebbles in ice, nothing I can't chew."), I also liked the very lax security on the cruise ship, who was very sympathetic to the someone running to their friend trope.

lol of course there was a Captain Tennille, too.

• Like 3

I just watched Alanis on SNL in 1995 as the musical guest. I also watched Lisa Loeb's appearance and cannot not think of her as Human Cat Cafe. 

I liked that they had Alanis look over at the full moon. Savage on the cruise patrons, Beef. I would have thought this would have been a good opportunity to hang out at the coffee shop. They even showed it in the background when Judy was talking to Honeybee. 

You don't see many plots of Judy being horny. She's never really been mature for her age. 

I never saw there was a "The Harbor Barber" shop at the wharf.

This is less wacky than the last few. Even though Judy's plot was kind of Three's Company, but it was everyone. And Russian Restaurant owner needed to get the hose. 

Captain Tennille. Stahp. 

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Loved the twist that everyone was on multiple dates on once.

That's the only way it works. It's like going off to camp for the cruise patrons. They're all looking to hook up. 

• LOL 4

Awww Beef and Captain Fisher had a whole friendship Pride and Prejudged story! Who knew there was so much enmity between cruise ships captain and fishing boat captains? 

Alanis two episodes in a row! I really expected this all to more dramatically blow up in Judy's face but I much prefer how this all played out. 

• Like 1

Boat: Fish Better Have My Chummy

Wolf's Shirt: Professional Gastronaut

Ugh, don't say "Dad crannies," or "time to get into our dad's body." I like that Ham is starting to notice all the double entendres.

I was really tickled at Aunt Dirt loving that she could buy a cooked chicken from the supermarket every day, and just chowing down on one in the car. And they didn't skimp on the bones! I honestly like this thread of her discovering new foods more than movies.

I liked Honeybee's theories about who "Wife" was. Judy was a lady from London to the ripe old age of 35, and Aunt Dirt was a log roller. And it turned out to be a woman named Wife, who murdered 17 people and her husband Bartholomew Wife. Love that.

I liked seeing Dennis the Jon Hamm Heart again. So Beef's heart was fine, he just had a gallbladder attack. It was honestly scary, since I have constant anxieties about that, even though I've been perfectly fine.

• Like 2

On the fridge, it says "Tobin Ice Accords. Act normal until the power comes back on." And everyone signed it!

Crooked butt cracks run in the family!

Beef should come down here (and I'm up north for here). We have an ice cave that gushes a huge waterfall in the summer. 

I liked Moon's scheme to get the pee. 

I think they missed an opportunity to do an anthology with Wife. This plot was good, but not quite enough. 

And Dennis! 

To be fair, what did Honeybee leave behind? The curtain store in Fresno? She was restless anyway and looking to get out of there. 

• Like 3

Don't listen to your judgmental friend Honeybee, your a huge deal in Lone Moose! I was waiting for the twist where Wife would be someone with the last name of Wife, but I was not prepared for her to be a multiple murderer! "And then he exploded from grief." 

It was great to see Dennis again, very glad that Beef finally went to the doctor and that he's fine, I was worried about him having some real heart issues. 

• Like 4

Except for Wolf, this is the second time the Tobins really dropped the ball for an culinary event important to Ham. Honeybee really could have waited to unravel the Wife mystery. I don't blame the kids with Beef though. They tried. 

• Like 2

Boat: School of Dock

Wolf's Shirt: Queen of Farts

It's neat to see the cast in summer outfits. And it was good to see an episode with Debbie. I was on Judy and Honeybee's side, the boys are the reason they can't have nice things.

Hey, Aunt Dirt has her own subplot! Yeah, do NOT get into a war of attrition with her, you will NOT win. Love that she wants her own pool for pooping.

I liked how Beef and Carissa made up. I'm...also bad on dates, but I'm also not one for dates? If that makes sense,

• Like 5

I really want to enjoy the show and pretty much go with it, but where did they get the material to build that cool slidey-thing? Maybe leftover scraps from last summer’s pool? Still seems like that wouldn’t have been enough. 

• Like 2

Nice to see Beef with Carissa still. I like when Beef is outside of the family doing adult things. I can understand that all the dates were a lot, but I don't think she needed to snap at him. He was trying to do something nice. 

Carissa seems way low maintenance, but she still needs to communicate that. And she did, basically, at the end. I don't think Beef really quite understands how Kathleen screwed him up. 

I have no idea why Ham was eating a salad in the pool. I took care of my pool. I kept that like liquid glass. 

Where in Lone Moose is there a kinky escape room?! Wink-wink!

• Like 4
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I really want to enjoy the show and pretty much go with it, but where did they get the material to build that cool slidey-thing? Maybe leftover scraps from last summer’s pool? Still seems like that wouldn’t have been enough. 

Having lived in Alaska for about 5 years a way back when, I can handwave most of this stuff because Alaskans are good at creative problem solving and they love them a good tarp. Supplies are expensive to bring in and so the ones I knew saved and reused everything. 

• Useful 2

Who knew Lone Moose was the home of a sexy escape room? *wink wink* 

Kathleen really messed Beef up, in more ways than even he really knows. She said yuck three times during their vows? Yikes, no wonder Beef is so gun shy about dating. His date ideas were cute, but you have to let a girl breathe! 

If my brothers spilled a salad into my pool than peed in it, I would absolutely make an angry pool in response for the purpose of banning them from it.

I love Aunt Dirt, she fits into this show so well. You cant beat a lady who's been in a bunker for like 60 years! I wondering if maybe Aunt Dirt comes back to "comfort" the sales lady after her messy divorce. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

My tivo says we have a new episode tonight. 

On FOX?  My local schedule says football all evening  : (

27 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Yes. After the football. 

No such luck here. I’ll have to see if I can get it on demand. Or (hope I’m wrong and don’t jinx anything) could it be your TiVo thinks it’s new because it’s at a different time?  Haha, I’m spending too much time thinking about this. 

I was surprised too, but according to TVGuide.com, this is actually Episode 16 of season 4, not necessarily a season premiere. Strange that they'd throw it out there with so little warning.

(edited)

Boat: Cash, Ass, or Bass

Wolf's Shirt: Fart! Fart! Fart! Don't Smell Me!

I liked that they explored Judy's lack of a relationship with her mother, and manifested in trying to find the woman who kept buying her paintings. And no wonder Judy talks to Alanis, sometimes she's the only one who will listen to her.

I shoulda known that was Cheri Oteri as Sherry! She's not as high pitched as Amy Sedaris, but they play the same kind of characters. OF COURSE Sherry runs a cult. That was a turn I really shoulda seen coming. I did like the other cultists were obsessed collectors, one with Pelotons, the other with Beanie Babies.

The biggest laughs I got form this ep were Wolf as Mary Todd Lincoln, Ham swearing at the end, and the payoff to the long set up to Honeybee winning the bet.

How long was this one held for? This was the first (produced) one without Aunt Dirt since she was introduced. EDIT: Apparently this was a holdover from season 3.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 3

I totally buy that Alanis watched Golden Girls. I'd like to know who the Lone Moose Lone Uber driver is. 

I was betting that the mother was buying the paintings. This was actually more sinister. 

I did feel bad for Judy. Beef and the boys were obsessed with the cabbage and Honeybee was wrapped up in her foam fingers. 

Can Judy not drive? I thought she was 16?

Santiago is my favorite of the townspeople not directly involved with the Tobins. I'm so interested in how he ended up in Lone Moose. 

• Like 4

"My favorite vegetable is Judy" 

Aw, Beef, such a way with words😂. I liked how the whole family dropped everything to rescue Judy.

And I agree with Alanis, Dorothy is my number one Golden Girl

• Like 2

I was so surprised when this episode showed up on my feed, so random. Are we getting more episodes after this or was this one extra episode they had sitting around and decided to play? 

I like that they dealt with Judy's feelings of loss when it comes to a maternal figure, she does have a tendency to latch onto any older woman she's around, even including Alanis. The whole family running off to save her was sweet, and Beef really does have a way with words. It is, in fact, another wonderful Judy original!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

When? My tivo says there's a new Bob's and then Great North.

Looks like two separate GN episodes back to back. Anyone watching the new lead-in show, Universal Basic Guys?  So far, so bad, as far as I’m concerned. I don’t see a thread for it and I’m not about to start one. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Anyone watching the new lead-in show, Universal Basic Guys?  So far, so bad, as far as I’m concerned. I don’t see a thread for it and I’m not about to start one. 

I've seen worse. Not as dudebro-y as the promos made it out to be, it's like Philly Honeymooners...but without a lot of wit or edge. Main Guy gets his face torn off by a money and it's like no big deal.

When did Judy have a boyfriend? Was it from when she had all the dates from the cruise?

Nice shout out to the last Blockbuster. I don't know why they didn't just watch both movies and flip a coin to watch first. 

I never noticed the picture of the family on the boat doing the Titanic before. 

"Cool" Mike seemed like a bag anyway, Judy. 

And Crocodile Rob's again! I liked the lady there into the show. And everyone saying "cool" in such a smarmy way. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Miami Adventure: 

Boat: You've got Whale

Shirt: Fart Time Job

Judy broke up with Cool Mike? But he's so cool! Ah, it's because he called her cringe. Damn him.

Oh, "Miami" is an exotic merman dancer. That was a weird plot. But I liked how it was like the Bob's Burgers episode where Tina got stood up by Jimmy Jr. on Valentine's Day. Liked seeing Crocodile Rob's again. I love the dynamic Aunt Dirt brings to the show.

Also weird was the rivalry of arguing if Olympus Has Fallen or White House Down was better. Loved Delmer saying "Oh hell yes, Olympus IS falling!"

(edited)

Worst Drives Club Adventure:

Boat: Are You There, Cod? It's Me, Mackerel

Wolf's Shirt: These Toots Were Made For Stinking

We finally get an ep where Judy gets her license! And Alanis can change size and be more active in a plot?! And was this the first time Alanis sang on the show?

I liked the plot with the puzzle. The fact that it was a naked picture of KATHLEEN gave me a huge laugh. But I liked the story behind it.

"At some point in your lives, you'll all encounter a naked woman. Not necessarily in person, but inevitably on the internet."

"Did you dream another sonnet?"

Edited by Galileo908

Girls night; now girls weekend. 

I was just saying last week about whether Judy had a license. I had a friend that never got her license in high school. She went to college in a city so I don't think she bothered for a while. Of course, in Lone Moose it looks like you need a car. 

I didn't have a car for almost 20 years so my license actually expired. I live now where you need one though.  

Judy mooning Alanis cracked me up. Witness this! So out of nowhere. They should have her as an actual character on the show sometime.

I liked that Honeybee made martinis for the puzzle. 

Wouldn't Lone Moose have a driving school? I had to get so many hours before the driving test. 

The abominable snowman walked behind the car when Judy was with Alanis!

We seem to be going through a bunch of Judy being neglected episodes. 

• Like 1