Type keyword(s) to search

The TV Beyond Castle Thread: What Other TV Shows Are Your Favorites?

It seems like it comes up often on other threads and I'm genuinely curious about what other shows y'all like (both past and present).

Some of mine:

1) Moonlighting

2) X Files

3) Bones

4) The Good Wife

5) 30 Rock

6) Arrested Development

7) Scandal

8) Blacklist

9) House of Cards

10) Law and Order: SVU

• Love 1
(edited)

Let's see:

Bones

Moonlighting

Remington Steele

Law & Order

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - a Why-Dunnit instead of Who-Dunnit; I like that!

ER

Friends

(Going WAY old school here) Silk Stalkings - cheesy as heck, but fun. And the leads had great chemistry

Hunter - See Silk Stalkings

Edited by WendyR72
(edited)

Totally forgot Modern Family. Absolutely part of my top 10. Moonlighting was such an important part of teenage Elysium's life that I made my first movie about it and dressed in drag (reverse drag?) as David Addison. It made me want to be a film major.

Oh and Remington Steele! Excellent call. Glenn Caron's precursor to Moonlighting. Early Pierce Brosnan. Cast infighting. WTWT. Did Glenn ever get a cast that did get along?

Edited by Elysium1973

I also forgot L&O: SVU, but once Chris Meloni bolted, I stopped watching regularly and lost some interest. Although it's a bit of a kick that the show chose Olivia's college alma mater as the very college I attended. And on the Mothership, Jerry Orbach would mention my hometown city and always mispronounce it, but hey, free publicity! And to round out all 3 L&O shows, CI had one of its earliest episodes which had an art curator from Troy killed.

I live now in real Troy, and CI made it much classier. LOL!

Totally love the Mothership, which lives on in syndication on TNT, mostly because of Jerry (and Steven Hill, the perfect curmudgeon). Yeah SVU took a major hit when Meloni left (I love me some Meloni) but I've enjoyed the addition of Danny Pino.

In the it's a small word category Emily Deschanel and I went to the same university at the same time and had some of the same friends. Sadly we did not meet.

1 Remington Steele

Oh boy oh boy did I love this show as a kid.  Threw fits on the rare night my parents decided I should go to bed before nine pm.  It shaped my love old movies, screwball comedies, and gentleman thieves.  Found it again when I was older and yes, it takes a moment to get past the early eighties poof but it holds up well with the chemistry and banter and ongoing mysteries.  Castle is really the closest thing to the same dynamic that I've seen on TV though of course Remington Steele ended much earlier ( 4 seasons and a trio of double episodes there at the end) so it never developed as far as the relationship on Castle but I imagine it could have gone something along the same lines.  . 

2  X-Files

3  Lois and Clark

3  Gilmore Girls

4  Smallville (though those ten years are filled with much regret)

5  Stargate SG1 (I loved the last two Daniel and Vala years - an inverse of the Becket/Castle relationship dynamic)

6  Bones

7  Alias

8  Battlestar Galactica

9  Fraiser

10 Friends 

The list could really go on and on, apparently I watch waaaay too much TV. 

Remington Steele was totally awesome, you get nothing but love from me. I actually started calling my grandmother Mildred in 1987 and never called her anything else.

I was going to add Mindy Project and Cheers to my list. TV Line just released some casting news that Rhea Perlman is going to be joing Dan Hedaya in playing Danny's parents (aka Nick and Carla from Cheers). I'm in overload!

• Love 1

The X-Files
The West Wing (s5 was the weakest but I hated the character assassination of Toby by the end of the series)
Cancelled by Fox trifeca (Firefly '02, Keen Eddie '03, Wonderfalls '04)
Game of Thrones
Dead Like Me
Veronica Mars
Homicide: LOTS (love how Belzer has manage to portray Munch in several different shows)
Alias (lots of wtf in s3)
Battlestar Galactica (another disappointing series finale)
Six Feet Under (Breathe Me finale montage makes me cry every time)
Breaking Bad
The Wire
Hannibal
Chuck (it was a fun, enjoyable show until that horrible series finale)
JAG (wtwt between Harm and Mac was so annoying when they should've gotten together way before the series finale)

(edited)

I watch way too much TV (have done so in the past and now the present).

Some of my current favourites include:

• Last Tango in Halifax
  • Lewis
  • Murdoch Mysteries
  • Orphan Black
  • Republic of Doyle
  • The Blacklist
  • The Good Wife
  • The Newsroom

Oldies, well anything that Sorkin did will usually find its way on my list, as does Friends, Frasier, Murder She Wrote, The X-Files, Gilmore Girls, Blue Heelers, Friday Night Lights, Are You Being Served, Yes Minister and the list goes on.

ETA: Not sure how I missed ER in all of that!

Edited by Nadine

Moonlighting

Hart to Hart

Remington Steele

ER

Friends

Frasier

Cheers

Poirot

Magnum (love Tom Selleck the only guy who looks attractive with a moustache)

Bones

Gilmore Girls

Lois and Clark

That's in no particular order and okay some of them went off the rails story wise but they're part of my viewing history and I don't regret the time spent watching them.

Just last night I was thinking about this- my current four must-see shows are Castle (obviously), NCIS:LA, Rizzoli and Isles, and Once Upon a Time.  All four of them feature sexy as hell powerful women.  I think I really like that!

• Love 1
(edited)

In love with some of the lists here. The great trio for me.

The X-Files - tackling issues like no other show + Dana 

Twin Peaks - because of how original it was + Audrey

Hannibal - a great makeover of the franchise + it's stunning visually

Honorable mentions:

Battlestar Galactica, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Wonderfalls, The Avengers, Touching Evil (the British version), Carnivale, Millennium, Twilight Zone, Castle (first three seasons), AbFab, The Shield (first two seasons), The Fall (unless season 2 proves me wrong).

And I could easily add 15 more shows. :) 

Edited by Finis Terre
(edited)

Oy this is gonna be a neverending list.

Current shows

The Mentalist

Orphan Black

Big Bang Theory

Rizzoli & Isles

Hannibal

Vikings

Homeland

24 (depending if they do another season)

Castle

Shows I better not had watched because the finale sucked big time

How I met your mother

Lost

Past shows

E.R.

House

X Files

Millennium

Gilmore girls (still have nightmares from that one or rather from the last 1 1/2 seasons)

Friends

Life (got canceled too early)

Dr. Quinn *hides*

JAG

Home Improvement

Six Feet Under

As a kid I loved: Fall guy, MacGyver, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazard

Edited by cappuccino

Alias

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Ashes to Ashes

Farscape

Veronica Mars

Arrested Development

Bones

Supernatural

There are so many TV shows I watch/ed, probably about 7-10 throughout the year nowadays (full seasons), I really don't dip in and of TV shows. Back many years ago, when I was in school and had more time on my hands a general week would consist of that number.

Longer lasting TV shows that I actually watched from the beginning to the end:

Fringe

Buffy

Nip/Tuck

Gilmore Girls

Friends

Sex and the City

Lost (the ending sucked, though)

Currently watching:

The Walking Dead

Suits (also my music supplier)

Grimm

American Horror Story

The Good Wife

Sleepy Hollow

Oy this is gonna be a neverending list.

Current shows

The Mentalist

Orphan Black

Big Bang Theory

Rizzoli & Isles

Hannibal

Vikings

Homeland

24 (depending if they do another season)

Castle

Shows I better not had watched because the finale sucked big time

How I met your mother

Lost

Past shows

E.R.

House

X Files

Millennium

Gilmore girls (still have nightmares from that one or rather from the last 1 1/2 seasons)

Friends

Life (got canceled too early)

Dr. Quinn *hides*

JAG

Home Improvement

Six Feet Under

As a kid I loved: Fall guy, MacGyver, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazard

Don't hide! I watched that and loved it!

And how I could forget (it's all coming back to me now childhood memories LOL) MacGyver, Knight Rider (The Hoff!) and Dukes of Hazard. Oh yeah those were the days. 

(edited)

I also loved the first few seasons of Dr. Quinn! :-) I even got the kids I babysat for into it. Lol.

My favorites were:

X-Files (until season 7)

ER (first 5)

Remington Steele (saved all the episodes on VHS!)

Edited to add- Loved Santa Barbara and was tickled when Nancy Lee Grahn was on Castle.

Currently loving Orphan Black

Enjoyed Penny Dreadful, Fargo and Masters of Sex.

Started The Good Wife on Netflix but am stuck on season 3.

Sticking it out with So You Think You Can Dance, but can't stand Nigel's nonsense!

Edited by GeorgieNY
(edited)

This so so much fun!

I've watched every season of So You Think You Can Dance. I think of Nigel and Mary as embarrassing parents.

I loved the Duke boyz.

House was amazing. Hugh Laurie was a bad ass and all my British friends should be proud to claim him. I also love Stephen Fry (his cameo on Bones will never be beat).

Hannibal is absolutely stunning. I adore that show. It got robbed of an Emmy. I can't wait for Gillian to be back.

Nip/Tuck was terrific. The killer that wore the mask was one of the scariest damn things I had ever seen...

Besides this of course.

ETA: this is my first season of Suits and I'm really enjoying it. I have a major crush on Gabriel Macht.

Edited by Elysium1973

I wasn't going to chime in here, but I think this deserves a mention:

I also watched Dr. Quinn and would probably put it on such a list. Not live (I was a bit too young), but in syndication on the Hallmark channel or something about ... well, 13 years ago.

I own all the DVD seasons ... and it's before media companies got smart and slim-lined all their series release to not be giant box sets with individual DVD cases, but I still love it. :)

Current

Castle

The Good Wife

Grey's Anatomy

Scandal

Sleepy Hollow

Pretty Little Liars (don't judge)

Revenge

The Fosters

Orphan Black

Survivor

Past

Lost 

Alias

Friends

ER

Seinfeld

Bewitched (reruns)

Prison Break

Passions

(edited)

Seeing all those tv shows listed, I forgot some.

Also watched: Prison break, Bewitched and oy what is the original titel from the Jeannie sitcom ?, Men in Trees, Roseanne (although I never watched the last season(s)), Mad about you

I wasn't going to chime in here, but I think this deserves a mention:

I also watched Dr. Quinn and would probably put it on such a list. Not live (I was a bit too young), but in syndication on the Hallmark channel or something about ... well, 13 years ago.

I own all the DVD seasons ... and it's before media companies got smart and slim-lined all their series release to not be giant box sets with individual DVD cases, but I still love it. :)

I was soooo in love with Sully *lol*

OH yeah and a total classic even today: Little house on the prairie :D

Edited by cappuccino

Current shows:

- Person of Interest (present No.1.)

- Justified

- The Americans

- House of Cards

- Orange is the New Black

- Game of Thrones

- Longmire

- Orphan Black

- Vikings

- Masters of Sex

- The Good Wife (watched only the last season, it was absolute top notch)

Running, but only if I have time:

- Defiance

- Rizzoli and Isle

- Sleepy Hollow

- Elementary

- Witches of East End

Cancelled:

- Life (first real love)

- House (till Season 6)

- Band of Brothers

Current

Rizzoli & Isles

Rookie Blue

Motive

Perception

Murder in the First

Past

House  (Till Cuddy left last season was a disaster)

MASH

Cheers

Frazier

Dynasty for the first few seasons

ORIGINAL Dallas

Knots Landing

(edited)

Current

Rizzoli & Isles

Rookie Blue

Motive

Perception

Murder in the First

Past

House  (Till Cuddy left last season was a disaster)

MASH

Cheers

Frazier

Dynasty for the first few seasons

ORIGINAL Dallas

Knots Landing

Oh my God you've made me remember all the shows I used to watch when I was younger.

Dallas, oh the fuss over who shot JR that was amazing!  That's all anyone was talking about at the time or at least it seems that way to me. 

Dynasty, yeah the first few seasons.

Knots Landing - Susan Sullivan was in that.

Mash - whole cast was great but loved Hawkeye and BJ's relationship. And of course Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan. LOL 

House - I used to watch because I loved Hugh Laurie from when he was on Blackadder but I stopped watching after he hooked up with Cuddy. 

Hill Street Blues "lets be careful out there" another show I used to enjoy and Cagney and Lacey. 

Thanks so much for starting this thread Elysium, reading all these posts have brought back some great memories. 

Little House on the Prairie - love it, so much a part of my growing up and Bewitched I adored it. 

I've realised that most of the shows that I really enjoy are old shows, may be I had just more time then as a kid, now I can just about manage to watch a few shows if I'm lucky.  I didn't realise just how much TV I watched back then in comparison to now!

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)

I can't believe I forgot Picket Fences! I went to school with Holly Marie Combs, which is why I started watching it, but loved it even if she wasn't on.

Add the West wing to my past favorites,

Current additions

The Americans now (I know "Paige" :-) )

The Fall

Orange is the New Black

Thinking back to childhood I was actually obsessed with Susan Sullivan's show about a female obstetrician called "Having Babies".

Edited by GeorgieNY

I was soooo in love with Sully *lol*

Oh gosh, Sully. I think he and Dr. Mike were the first couple I ever really shipped. Dr. Quinn holds a special place in my heart because it was the first real fandom I was into to. (I feel like maybe I shouldn't have admitted that.)

- Masters of Sex

I find Masters of Sex incredibly interesting. I really like the '50s style and find myself both hating and loving the characters. Plus, Janis Ian, lol. :)

• Love 1

I've been streamng Scarecrow and Mrs. King, which is an interesting comparison to Castle. The progression of the relationship is more direct, and I lIke the "you-and-me-against-the-world" approach.

The datedness of the tech, in particular, is a hoot.

• Love 2
(edited)

I loved Scarecrow and Mrs King.

Yeah some of the tech stuff and various gadgets when you look back on certain shows makes me giggle at times.

The depressing thing is when I can remember using some of the items that now would almost belong in a museum. Heh.

Edited by verdana

When I was little I watched Scarecrow and Mrs. King with my mother....we were both total shippers. I guess that's where I learned it.

It was a fun show, and is probably a lot like Castle in terms of an average civilian becoming partners with a crime fighter and it leading to love.  I think it was similar in terms of "sexiness" that got displayed onscreen.  But maybe I'm mis-remembering because I was so young and didn't realize what was happening.

It's a pity, if I recall correctly, that the final season of S&MK was warped by the real-life illness of Kate Jackson, because even though the love story was the one element they were able to maintain as a continuing thread, her participation in any episode was vastly reduced, and it would have been interesting to see how they would have handled the season if she had been in good health.

The '80s seemed to really love the fantastical romance in the setting of crime solving, between Remington Steele, Scarecrow & Mrs. King,, and Moonlighting. And Castle and Bones now seem to be the modern equivalent.

I guess one could also add Hart To Hart which was on the cusp of the '80s (premiered in 1979), but they were already married, so there was no WT/WT formula as there was with all of the other shows here.

• Love 1

I loved Hart to Hart, it had romance, humour and all tied around a COTW and it was fun and frothy. You knew you weren't going to have anything remotely dark served up so you could sit back relax and enjoy it. Despite them being already married I loved the way they portrayed the relationship between them, there was good easy playful chemistry between Wagner and Powers, never doubted they desired each other and they had good fun solving cases together, for me that's a pretty good template to how Castle can survive with them being married. It's been done before and was successful. 

• Love 2

I'm trying to think of TV shows I feel sentimental about, must see TV through the years.

Star Trek

Cosby Show.

MASH

Rockford Files

Big Bang Theory

Boston Legal

Castle, Season 1 to somewhere during 3.

Various variety shows.

The rest, I can't think of.

I'm not entertained by angsty TV. I'm not really even a fan of TV which is why it stings when my shows get trashed.

Current shows I catch but don't care if I miss occasionally...

Blacklist because I love Spader

The NCIS franchise

Continuum

Motive

Rizzoli

Elementary

Perception

Castle, past few seasons.

Longmire.

Funny how most of these shows are angsty, I guess that's what keeps me watching Castle. It is less angsty as a crime drama.

Most TV nowadays is either dark crime drama, dark fantasy or mediocre comedy, in my opinion.

I forgot a classic from when I was young,   TAXI,,  Gosh I was hot for Mari Lou Henner, Other guys loved Daisy Duke but it was Henner who lit my fire, and I was far to young to have fallen so far  ☺

Life with Elizabeth-- much better than I Love Lucy although I was maybe 8 when it went off the air around 1955. And Betty White is still working.

Absolutely Fabulous - as well as Vicar of Dibley and French and Saunders.

Lovejoy

Monty Python's Flying Circus- the most popular program in our commune when I was in university. We got upwards of 30 people over for it (we had a colour TV!) and always ordered it eggrolls.

Murdoch Mysteries- for the steampunk elements

Republic of Doyle- for the talk- Lard liftin them Newfies can talk!

Last of the Summer Wine- which reminds me of the Miss Read books.

Sex and the City- Who else thinks it was really about a group of gay men?

Queer as Folk- British verstion

Orphan Black - just wow!

Coronation Street- which apparently has 45 principal characters, and two of the romantic leads are in their 70s.

Jeeves and Wooster- both the Fry and Laurie and the Ian Carmichael versions

Fry and Laurie

Blackadder

Todd and the Book of Absolute Evil- because I love low budget carp.

Mrs. Brown's Boys

Father Ted

The Almighty Johnsons

Wild Wild West- again steampunk

and of course

FIREFLY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBDV2LTNWLE

Blackadder.  How could I have forgotten that, at it's best it was brilliantly funny, the cast were perfect together. Miranda Richardson as "Queenie" was inspired and the late Rick Mayall as Lord Flashheart, now that's a guest star turn I won't forget in a hurry.

Speaking of Rockford, I've heard that Nathan has expressed an interest in that role a number of times and I think he'd be perfect for it. If Castle winds up next season I hope he gets a shot at it if they're planning on ever getting a remake off the ground. 

I was under the impression (maybe mistaken?) that a Rockford Files remake was shelved. Nathan does have the same affable blue-collar je ne c'est quoi the late James Garner had, true. But TV history has shown me that remakes barely work. See: Bionic Woman, Knight Rider, the Hunter revival (with the same leads no less!) in the early 2000s, and more I'd bet.

(There is one still on: Beauty and The Beast on the CW is a reboot of the 1987 series. But its ratings are anemic, at best!)

So hopefully, Nathan Fillion can find a good vehicle post-Castle to star in! I just don't think Rockford would be it. But hey, who knows?

Blackadder.  How could I have forgotten that, at it's best it was brilliantly funny, the cast were perfect together. Miranda Richardson as "Queenie" was inspired and the late Rick Mayall as Lord Flashheart, now that's a guest star turn I won't forget in a hurry.

Speaking of Rockford, I've heard that Nathan has expressed an interest in that role a number of times and I think he'd be perfect for it. If Castle winds up next season I hope he gets a shot at it if they're planning on ever getting a remake off the ground. 

Yes to Blackadder! Actually anything with the Comic Strip people (French and Saunders, Lenny Henry, Rik (he'll be missed), Adrian and co). Love them!

According to this Deadline article Vince Vaughn is involved in a (movie) remake and they're re-writing the script at the moment but Vince Vaughn really? Urgh he does nothing for me and certainly not as Rockford.

Wendy.I agree with you about TV remakes more fail than succeed. 

In reading over the list I realize how many show I left off mine.  There were a couple that I just had to bring up.

Veronica Mars

Firefly

They were short but intense loves.

I looked at my list and the only current show I listed was Bones, lol.

I'm still watching Castle (felt like that should be a gimme) Plus I have the added bonus of actually still liking it.    ;P

Here what else I'm currently watching and loving (well would be if some of these weren't on hiatus)

Longmire

Haven

Arrow

Big Bang Theory

New Girl

The Middle

Glee (you have to watch with absolutely no expectations or memory of the prior weeks show)

Sherlock

Dr. Who

Lost Girl

Suits

White Collar

Call the Midwife

Downton Abbey

Defiance

Cougar Town

The Mindy Project

I'm also watching but not sure if I love it or am just passing the time:

Elementary

The 100

Halt and Catch Fire

Agents of SHEILD

Unforgettable

Hot In Cleveland

Grimm

Once Upon a Time

My DVR gets a hell of a workout.  I don't think I watch anything live anymore. 

Shows that I watched as a kid or on reruns.

Gilligan's Island

Bewitched

I Dream of Jeanie

Dick Van Dyke Show

Little House on the Prairie (honestly, this show gave me more nightmares than anything before or since- should come with a warning)

Petticoat Junction

Dukes of Hazzard (I shipped Daisy and Bo until I got old enough to understand why that was a bad idea)

Hunter

Airwolf

Facts of Life

Quantum Leap

Cheers but only the Diane years

Boy Meets World

Full House

Too Close for Comfort

Night Court

The A Team

Scarecrow and Mrs. King- obsessed over this show

Fantasy Island

Finders of Lost Loves (obscure much)

Good Neighbors

Are You Being Served?

To the Manor Born

Love Boat

Beverly Hillbillies

Fraiser - such a great show.  so funny

I seem to remember all the preteen stuff but can barely recall any of the teen years and early twenties stuff. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Fun topic! I'll chime in. :)

ETA: OK, I posted this THEN read the thread and shamefully left some off. 

The ones I can't miss that airing on TV right now are:

• The Good Wife
  • Castle
  • Homeland (though I'm waning from this one a bit after the events of last season)
  • Mad Men
  • Parks and Recreation
  • Brooklyn 99 (I caught up on s1 this summer and L O V E it!)
  • Arrow
  • The Newsroom
  • Louie
  • The Daily Show
  • The Colbert Report (those last 2 totally count, right? ;) )
  • The Americans (WOW)
  • House of Cards
  • The Following (creepy, gory and terrifying, but in the best way)

Past show that still have a special place in my TV-lovin' heart: 

• The X-Files (my first real fandom experience)
  • Gilmore Girls (though the last season was tough to take, lol)
  • Silk Stalkings (total guilty pleasure...at least until they killed off Chris. :'((( )
  • Arrested Development
  • Breaking Bad
  • The West Wing
  • Sex and the City
  • Mad About You
  • Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman
  • Friends (though I like to forget a lot about that last season didn't happen, lol)
  • Seinfeld
  • Scrubs
  • The Golden Girls
  • ER (until Mark Greene died, then I was out)
  • Dallas (original)
  • Falcon Crest (where I first saw Susan Sullivan and told her once how much I loved her on that show!)
  • The Comeback (which is getting a new season, so is it past or current? lol)
  • Ally McBeal (though even Jon Bon Jovi couldn't save its final season)
  • Firefly (though I actually watched this AFTER I started watching Castle)
  • Nip/Tuck (I stuck that one out until the bitter end, lol)

Let's see:

Bones

Moonlighting

Remington Steele

Law & Order

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - a Why-Dunnit instead of Who-Dunnit; I like that!

ER

Friends

(Going WAY old school here) Silk Stalkings - cheesy as heck, but fun. And the leads had great chemistry

Hunter - See Silk Stalkings

Another Silk Stalkings fan here! ~high five~ :D 

Edited by S55
  • Love 1