Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: All At Sea

nodorothyparker
  • Start Topic

I hate that they had Gunnhild kill herself! Lagertha would never have done that. Ingrid’s wedding dress was way too modern.

Well Kjetill, your son and most of your family are dead because you wouldn’t share that enormous whale and now you have no boats. Hope you enjoy being King of Greenland. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3

I knew Kjetill hoarding the whale was going to backfire on everyone, but I still wasn't expecting it to be that big of a clusterfuck.  Everyone got their licks in and Othere definitely showed that he has some secret moves as well, but I don't think anything is going to top Torvi hacking fools down with a hatchet, while carrying her baby in the other hand.  Awesome!  But, hey: everyone else leaves, so Kjetill is King of Greenland!  Sure, it only cost him his son, most of his men, and I'm assuming all of their boats, but he's the king now!  Totally worth it!

At least Oleg finally gets his, even if it required him comparing himself to Jesus, and then giving another long-winded speech before Igor thankfully put everyone out of their misery.  But I guess Oleg's prophet abilities weren't totally out of whack, because he did predict Igor shooting someone off of the balcony.  He just had the wrong brother!  I also like that there was no battle at all, because I'm guessing the guardsmen were paid off.  Well, that and I imagine everyone realized that Dir was easily a better choice, because he isn't crazy.

Looks like Ivar and Hvitserk are going back to Kattegat!  And Ivar's sperm is apparently very strong, because he manages to knock Katia up the first time he finally has sex!

I get possibly marrying Harald sucks, but I'm still bummed that Gunnhild apparently took her own life instead.  Especially since it was apparently to "be with Bjorn again", which, Gunnhild?  Do you remember how lame of a husband he was?

• Love 3

Seriously, Gunnhild? You're just gonna give up? Sigh. This show has never been great with female characters that weren't Lagertha, so I don't know why I expected that to change this close to the finish line. I guess there's something vaguely amusing in a woman deciding to drown herself rather than marry Harald, but I was looking forward to the women finishing him off and agreeing to a joint-queenship.

And seriously Hirst, you have Gunnhild make a promise that she'll slit Harald's throat if given the chance, then show her hiding a small dagger in her clothing and then... not follow through on that?

Oh Kjetill, you're not King of Greenland, just King of a Dead Whale. Thank God that plot is over with.

I'm also not sorry to see the end of Rus. Glad that Igor finally took Oleg out: like most self-pitying fools he compares himself to Jesus and then expects everyone to play nice with him as soon as they've got the upper hand. Since I'm sick of redemption arcs I'm glad they just dealt with him quickly.

So I guess Katia's resemblance to Freydis really was just in Ivar's head? I half expected them to switch her out with another actress as they said goodbye, just to drive the point home.

• Love 2

I was definitely not a fan of Gunnhild's end.  The show has struggled with female characters not named Lagertha and created a good one with Gunnhild.  So they just have her decide to not fight but drown herself to be with Bjorn, a terrible husband and an indifferent at best father?  Lame.  The only thing I haven't enjoyed this season.

Seriously Kjetill, how could you not see this outcome when you decided not to share the whale.  The only thing I found ridiculous is that all the settlers didn't join up immediately against him and his family.  That would have ended things in about three seconds.

Glad to see Oleg get killed.  I  going to miss the awesome Russian sets, locations and even costumes.

• Love 3

So...Gunhilde swimming and swimming for all that time. I expected her to see ghost Bjorn like Legartha saw Ragnar but she didn't. Instead we saw a long drawn out swim that looked lonely and sad. Was that intentional to say that Gunhilde was not important to Bjorn? She wasn't his person? We saw a final shot if her sinking and her hand under water that I expected go see Bjorn's hand grab but that didn't happen. So I take this whole scene to say she was not Bjorn's love of his life. And she would not be with him in Valhalla. 

What was the purpose of Katia pretending to be Ivar's dead wife? I thought she was doing it to trap him for Oleg. But she wasn't. SHe was all in on the plan to get Igor out and take down the crazy Oleg. 

Edited by Lamima
4 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I see I’m not the only one who hated Gunnhild’s suicide.

I don't understand how you can drown yourself.  Wouldn't instinct kick in and cause you to swim back to shore?  The only explanation is that she drugged herself and it kicked in when she was too far from shore.  Here eyes did look that way before she jumped.

7 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I don't understand how you can drown yourself.  Wouldn't instinct kick in and cause you to swim back to shore?  The only explanation is that she drugged herself and it kicked in when she was too far from shore.  Here eyes did look that way before she jumped.

The water had to have been very cold. I was thinking hypothermia.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The water had to have been very cold. I was thinking hypothermia.

Good point, and upon thinking again, I suppose that she could have worn herself out and had no energy left to swim to shore.  The whole scene was like an Ingmar Bergman movie, so anything is possible.

Edited by Babalooie
typo
10 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Good point, and upon thinking again, I suppose that she could have worn herself out and had no energy left to swim to shore.  The whole scene was like an Ingmar Bergman movie, so anything is possible.

Interestingly enough, Ragga Ragnars was an Olympic swimmer for Iceland.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/4/2021 at 9:38 PM, LittleIggy said:

Interestingly enough, Ragga Ragnars was an Olympic swimmer for Iceland.

I assume that is why they had her swim to her death, they wanted Gunhilde's death to be a nod to Ragnars being an Olympic swimmer.  They even showed her doing the breast stroke.

• Love 2

I'm just watching this now on History Channel (finally!) and I didn't have a problem with Gunnhild killing herself.  She wanted to be with Bjorn, even knowing what a flawed person he was, so she died believing she would join him.   At least she was at peace.

Enjoy eating all that whale by yourself Kjetill, it should last for a looooong time.   Idiot.  

• Love 1

{sniff} I think I had something in my eye when Ivar was leaving Igor. 

So did Prince DIr pay off Oleg's guards? Is that what was happening in that scene where they were out in the woods somewhere (?) and some group of guys pulled up and asked if he had what he promised? Was it a chest of treasure or something?

I didn't have a problem with Gunnhild's death but I, too, expected to see Bjorn in there somewhere. 

• Love 2

I did a little bingeing and got caught up a bit. Poor Grunhild-she was just not happy at all with the prospect of being Haralds other wife. I don't blame her for swimming away to be with Bjorn but I thought you had to die in battle to go to Vallhalla? And that dick Oleg is gone-did he really think he was Jesus? At least it was quick and the people will have a better ruler I think. I figured the boys wouldn't be hanging around, especially after Ivar found out about the baby. And old Flatnose is king of a dead whale. I think mostly everyone else died or got on the boat. What an idiot.

• Love 1