Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three: Speculation for The Mandalorian

• Start Topic

There is a new Lego Set coming in June.  It's Mando's new ship.  It comes with Din, Grogu, Peli Motto and one of her cute droids.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/the-mandalorian-s-n-1-starfighter-75325

Lets hope they don't blow this one up any time soon.  They really need a bigger ship though as a home base.  Or maybe Peli can rent them a room or something in her garage.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

So they say, but Sabine just handed it over to Bo-Katan iirc. 

She did but they also said the exact same thing when Sabine first found it. It’s been a consistent part of the lore. The Mandalorians decided to put that belief aside after Sabine won it in battle but that didn’t work out so well for anyone. If anything, that experience would cement the belief that it had to be one in battle. 

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know. Is it you can't take your helmet off, or people can't see your face? When things go sideways and those strict rules start getting in the way, they don't seem so strict all of a sudden. 

People can’t see your face. It is spelled out pretty clearly in the first season. We’ve only seen a very small group with that particular rule and Mando is the only one who has broke it. He only broke it after he was exposed to Mandalorians who weren’t as extreme. 

How did the dark saber rule get in the way? From their standpoint, breaking it led to the destruction of their planet. When you’re talking about an single item that gives you the ability to lead an entire planet it seems fair to have some kind of additional measure to determine worthiness. 

It was spelled out clearly. And then when things went sideways, he broke the rule, even if not without trepidation. I was quoting Bill Burr's character. Mando took off his helmet for quite a while in that episode before Burr blew the Imperial officer away and they blew the entire base up. People make up rules and then all of a sudden there's exceptions when they get in the way. The Darksaber rule of winning it in combat is the rule, until it's not. That kind of does typify the post-ROTJ landscape of the show. I don't have a problem with it. I'm just not buying that he's going to have to face off against Bo-Katan, unless it's staged for others benefit. 

I mean, just play cards. She can win it in poker. Or if they play pazaak. 

I haven't seen the Boba Fett show yet so this might not be the case anymore. 

• Love 2

Grogu could easily "defeat" Din if needed.  He can use the force and make him drop it or choke him until he drops it, or something relatively painless like that, and then he's "won."  I could even see Mando letting him do it on purpose if he thought it was the right thing to do.

I saw a very strange Grogu spoiler today on Star Wars Meg youtube channel for Mandalorian season 3.   The last time I was that taken aback was when I was spoiled to the name "Grogu" and that ended up to be his name.  So here it goes:

Spoiler

Somehow IG-11 returns and becomes both Grogu's armour and also his very own Jarvis.  I think this could be true for two reasons, with his Marvel history this seems plausible to be something Favreou to cook up, and I read a while ago that Taika Waititi may be involved in season 3.

What do you guys think?

Darn, I put my post into the wrong thread. 

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 4
On 3/11/2022 at 7:51 PM, magdalene said:

I saw a very strange Grogu spoiler today on Star Wars Meg youtube channel for Mandalorian season 3.   The last time I was that taken aback was when I was spoiled to the name "Grogu" and that ended up to be his name.  So here it goes:

Reveal spoiler

Somehow IG-11 returns and becomes both Grogu's armour and also his very own Jarvis.  I think this could be true for two reasons, with his Marvel history this seems plausible to be something Favreou to cook up, and I read a while ago that Taika Waititi may be involved in season 3.

What do you guys think?

Darn, I put my post into the wrong thread. 

I read this too, and I don't really understand how that could happen?

Spoiler

The OG IG-11 melted in a lava river.  It could be a new, different one?  But I don't see how they all of a sudden find him washed up along the side of... lava. 

• Love 3
On 3/10/2022 at 10:48 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know. Is it you can't take your helmet off, or people can't see your face? When things go sideways and those strict rules start getting in the way, they don't seem so strict all of a sudden. 

Just as an aside, I love this speech that you paraphrased to make your other point.  I think it might be my favorite few lines of the entire show.  I think it touches on the concept of the difference between lawfulness and ethics and the shortcomings of Din’s covert on the latter.

I think I saw one of the mods post somewhere that this is the right thread to continue discussion of what is to come in Season 3, in light of what happened in The Book of Boba Fett, but I also see that you mention you haven’t watched that show yet, so maybe don’t read the next paragraph if you’re averse to spoilers.  (Also, watch at least episodes 5-7 of that show!)

When I say the difference between lawfulness and ethics, I mean that Din is ostracized by the Armorer and cast out for removing his helmet, with no inquiry whatsoever into why it happened.  If “The Way” also includes the care and protection of foundlings as one of its core precepts, Din removing his helmet (the first time) was the ethical choice to save Grogu’s life, if not the lawful one, but for the Armorer, there is no excuse possibly worth hearing.  I am also so interested in the idea that Din put his helmet back on after the S2 finale.  He told Cara that if he ever took it off, he could never put it back on.  But he did.  Perhaps out of sheer necessity (what else could he do at the time?)

But the Armorer’s position is why I personally don’t want Din to “redeem” himself in the living waters or become the ruler of Mandalore because (and this is a personal want that seems to be at odds with the wishes of true Star Wars universe fans) I don’t think he needs all that dogma (about the helmet or the saber) to be an ethical Mandalorian. 

Plus, strange women distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!  (Did people ever make that joke after either S2 or TBOBF?  I never saw it, but surely someone did.)

What is the rule for the Mandalorians of Din’s “Children of the Watch” sect taking their helmets off in front of their families?  Din told Omera that he hadn’t taken his off in front of others since he was around a pre-teen, so I guess it is forbidden once you are of age, no matter who you are around?  I don’t like that for Grogu and Din.

On the separate topic of that spoiler, it honestly sounds

Spoiler

so weird to me.  The character of IG-11 was amazing, but it ran its course to its sad conclusion and any return undermines the impact of the sacrifice of both it and of Kwiil.  Maybe it will be amazing though.  But in terms of how it happens, I could envision that the small memory chip or whatever it is that gives the robot its personality and memory was thrown clear in the explosion and that can be implanted in some new machine?

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

What is the rule for the Mandalorians of Din’s “Children of the Watch” sect taking their helmets off in front of their families?  Din told Omera that he hadn’t taken his off in front of others since he was around a pre-teen, so I guess it is forbidden once you are of age, no matter who you are around?  I don’t like that for Grogu and Din.

You just made me think of something that I'd never thought of before (but I think others have, just haven't said anything) - will Din make Grogu put on a helmet and never take it off?  He's just a baby, that won't go well.  And where will his ears go? 

• Love 1

Taking the theme of the quote - Din may not have taken the helmet off since he was a teen, but when Luke showed up at the end of season 2, he took it off for Grogu *and* in front of Luke. So Jedi don't count then? I doubt he's going to put a helmet on him. Additionally, using the Force, he may have to have a direct line of sight or whatever force nonsense. It would be hindering his capabilities. 

6 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Taking the theme of the quote - Din may not have taken the helmet off since he was a teen, but when Luke showed up at the end of season 2, he took it off for Grogu *and* in front of Luke. So Jedi don't count then? I doubt he's going to put a helmet on him. Additionally, using the Force, he may have to have a direct line of sight or whatever force nonsense. It would be hindering his capabilities. 

Jedi definitely count.  Din broke his rule to say goodbye to Grogu.  But I think that we'll see Din relax his rules and he won't make Grogu wear a helmet, if we even see him eventually come of age.

• Love 1

The not taking of the helmet is only for Din's offshoot sect of the Mandalorians. He's met other Mandalorians that don't follow that. Since he was kicked out of the sect, it's up to him if he if he wants to stay with them or join another group where he can take off his helmet. 

• Love 1

Who really wants Grogu's adorable and expressive face forever hidden behind a helmet? Not me.

I don't want Din to keep following the rigid helmet rule of his cultish faction of Mandalorians but they are in a bind because Pedro Pascal is a very busy actor with other commitments that rather limits his actual presence on set.  From what I understand he wasn't on set for his Book of Boba Fett scenes and all his voice work was done remotely.

• Love 2

I think Din will want Grogu to make his own choices.  He left the shirt with Ahsoka rather than apply unintentional pressure by presenting it himself.   He knows what Grogu can do so though he want to protect him, he doesn't object when Grogu does "the magic hand thing" heh.

Din probably keeps the helmet on out of habit; he still believes in his group to some extent; it's excellent protection in a fight.   Just that last would have me leaving it on as he has a dangerous job and you never know when someone might shoot at you.  It will be interesting to see if he takes it off in relaxed moments with Grogu.

I don't think Grogu will want to wear the full armor.  He loves his dad but is an independent little guy too.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, magdalene said:

I don't want Din to keep following the rigid helmet rule of his cultish faction of Mandalorians but they are in a bind because Pedro Pascal is a very busy actor with other commitments that rather limits his actual presence on set.  From what I understand he wasn't on set for his Book of Boba Fett scenes and all his voice work was done remotely.

I agree, and from a filming/ star availability and merchandising standpoint, Din is never going to chuck the helmet regularly like Boba, Bo-Katan and others do.  It’s just that from a storytelling perspective, I also don’t want Din to be beholden to the idea that he has to follow arcane rituals to make amends for two “transgressions” that were (I think he knows) quite justified.  I mean, the Armorer had a point in S1 that the Mandalorians’ secrecy was their strength (given the harsh conditions they endured), but him having to beg forgiveness for his actions doesn’t sit entirely well, either.

This story is a knight’s tale in some respects (in addition to being a western), so I would definitely expect him to follow his quest to the living waters, to find some “modern” equivalent of the Mythosaur and also to use the Darksaber to help reclaim Mandalore:  I just don’t think that reassimilation into his covert or being the actual ruler of a planet are what he really wants or needs at the “end” of the story.  I saw somewhere online that someone suggested he really should go find that “nice shrimp lady” (Omera from S1) with Grogu and nope out of all this crap he keeps getting pulled into.  That’s funny, but probably not quite right for the story, either.  Actually, he might be happiest on Tatooine.  He’s got a little community of genuine friends there now. But he makes friends wherever he goes, so maybe he will stay on Mandalore at the end of the story.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 1

I'm on Mando's episode of Boba Fett with the darksaber, and I'm still not buying all the nonsense about 'winning' it and whatever. People say things enough over and over and just accept it when there's a lot more going on. If Bo-Katan was successful then it wouldn't be a rule.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:52 AM, Peace 47 said:

I also don’t want Din to be beholden to the idea that he has to follow arcane rituals to make amends for two “transgressions” that were (I think he knows) quite justified.  

That's why they're a lost people or whatever you want to call them. Let's make sure we don't take our helmets off. Sure. That's what's important. 

Well the helmet is an excellent parallel obviously to Din’s sect of Mandalor with different sects of any faith irl. Often there’s a rule you believe to be important as you grow up, because it’s your culture and your faith. But then you get out into the world and things start to change, and that rule maybe starts to be harmful to others - or to your own growth. The Star Wars universe is filled with parables like this. Some think it’s heavy handed but I like it. 

• Love 3

Oh, I don't mind either. That's what I was commenting on re: The Armourer - 

41 minutes ago, mledawn said:

But then you get out into the world and things start to change, and that rule maybe starts to be harmful to others - or to your own growth.

- and quoting Bill Burr. It's easy for her to make broad proclamations without any additional context. 

• Love 2