Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Day One

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Nine teenage girls are en route to Hawaii when their plane fails, leaving them stranded on a remote island. Among them we meet Leah, who has survived to tell their story to a pair of federal investigators. Flashbacks offer an intimate look at Leah’s pre-island life, and the taboo relationship that broke her heart.

This was being compared to Lost it seems but so far it doesn't give me a Lost vibe whatsoever. It reminds me more of the really bad Netflix show The I-Land. 

I liked this though lol. I'll definitely keep watching.

The author guy that Leah (?) is obsessed with is SO creepy. Good job by the actor I guess. The trauma counselor gives me a very creepy vibe too but I can't tell if he's supposed to or not.

• Love 7

I am surprised by how hooked I am by this. I think the actresses are quite good so far, and I'm intrigued by this weird mystery of what is going on. I agree that the author is creepy, but I'm not surprised that Leah fell for it. She's young, she's impressed by his 'genius', she has never been made to feel special like this before. I suppose this is how these sorts of relationships happen. I imagine some people might get irritated by how hung up on him she is, but I felt for her. A person like that can really mess a teen up. Also, the scene where they are singing P!nk was this weird mix of funny and sad for me.

Edited by legxleg
  • Love 8

I didn't watch The I-land, but it reminded me of that and Lost. The trekking around, looking for food or anything that could help. The athletic girl talking about swimming out to the plane. The flashbacks. A reason for them all being there. I felt like rolling my eyes when that woman from Six Feet Under, walked in, and that's when it felt like the show I didn't watch. 

• Love 2

I had read nothing about this before watching the first Episode, so the end was a total surprise for me.  I couldn't figure out why there were investigators and what was going on - I knew something was up, but I didn't expect the Dawn of Eve people to have engineered the plane crash.  I like Rachel Griffiths, and haven't seen her do evil overlord yet, so this will be interesting. 

One thing that I thought the show had wrong, but actually had right...  so many states have lowered their age of consent to 16 or 17, so I thought the point about Leah lying about her age and still being 17 instead of 18 wouldn't have been a legal issue.  But I checked - CA age of consent is 18, having sex with a minor is statutory rape. 

I wasn't a fan of Lost, never even heard of I-Land, so I'm hoping the show continues to hold my attention. 

Watched the first episode last night.  I was completely hooked.  Finished the series around 5 AM.  Ha.

Although I was a bit lost, it was the good kind of lost as episode one progressed.  I love these characters too!  

• Love 2

Dot  is kind of obsessed with Fatim and it's annoying. The actress playing Toni is annoying. She needs to tone down the self-righteous anger I mean...I get it.  I just wonder what the writers' room looks like if they can't find another way for her to express her resentment of privilege.

This is very bingeable tho so I'll watch over break.

Edited by Adgirl
  • Love 1

I just started watching this with my 14 yr old daughter. We both really enjoyed the first episode. I kind of expected that the crash was probably engineered by the Dawn of Eve people (having seen similar shows in the past) but it blew my DD’s mind. This will be fun to watch with her.

DD could not stand Leah. Although she sees her as a victim she can not understand her continued obsession with the boyfriend. I think I am a bit more forgiving but DD gags every time the relationship comes up. 

As for the rest of the girls, so far we find Fatin, Shelby, Martha, and Dot to be the most likable. Toni is pretty obviously going to be nicer under her rough exterior. 

I was surprised by Jeanette’s death, especially because she was an operative for the group. It will be interesting to find out what went wrong. 

I think this show will be fun. It sort of reminds me of the show where people were kidnapped and put in that hotel in an empty fake town in Mexico. (Persons Unknown?)

• Love 1
15 hours ago, lorikauai said:

DD could not stand Leah. Although she sees her as a victim she can not understand her continued obsession with the boyfriend. I think I am a bit more forgiving but DD gags every time the relationship comes up. 

I'm with DD on that one. I get that Leah is just a teen, and therefore the older guy was in the wrong, but YIKES I found her insufferable. It didn't help that her voiceovers were pretentious as hell. It's been a long time since I was an overdramatic self indulgent teen, so maybe I would have related more a good 30 years ago, but as a grown woman I just rolled my eyes at all her "being a teenage girl is the real hell" shite. While she's not all that wrong, being a teenage girl was a forking nightmare, it just came across SOOOOOO pretentious that it made her immediately unlikable to me. 

• Love 2

Hmm, just finished this episode and in the middle of episode 2.  So far I am still interested.  It does remind me of "Lost" somewhat (though I never watched more than a few episodes of that one) and, oddly enough, "Wayward Pines" because in that show all the characters' lives were engineered and they lived in a fake town.  Will continue to watch.

• Love 1

I'm just getting started on this series.   I wonder if each episode will feature a different girl talking to the investigators (who I'm now questioning aren't in on the whole scheme).   It was interesting that the one girl (I'm not remembering all their names just yet) mentioned that her parents bought her a $1000 water-proof suitcase.   Makes me wonder if their guardians are in on the whole thing as well for whatever reasons and they knew about the crash so out of guilt got the luggage.     Guess I'll see.

I'm definitely hooked.

Edited by Meedis
grammar fix
  • Love 2